UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (26) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Attn: Kallisti87 & Tippi

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 115 replies
Page: 1 2 3
AuthorTopic:  Attn: Kallisti87 & Tippi
Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37945
posted Friday, September 01, 2017 10:32:57 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Lets gets hop hop out of the way, this track playing during the final fight scene of Defenders was illy...

Now onto the show itself. Was underwhelmed by the end of it. While not terrible, it had a number of glaring flaws. The biggest was the portrayal of The Hand. Supposed to be these mystical villains around for centuries yet were brought down by the four main characters pretty easily. Sigourney Weaver's character was bland and fucking pointless. Seriously what was her point other then to resurrect Black Sky? One note, not exciting at all, and then dead lulz. Even some of the action scenes the last episode were clunky. Also what happened to the Hand ninjas from Daredevil Season 2? Instead it was just random seemingly ordinary shitty at fighting bad guys. Some of the stuff i liked was the banter between characters, their first fight scene together, and Daredevil and Elektra's interactions. It was also cool seeing some of the supporting characters from the other shows all come together the last couple episodes and interact. Iron Fist was better here than in his show and Colleen was dope.

What you guys think of it? And tippi now that I've seen it could you elaborate on some of the flaws you had with the show?

Out of the Marvel/Netflix shows I've seen id rank them...

Daredevil Season 2 - 9/10
Daredevil Season 1 - 8.5/10
Jessica Jones - 8/10
The Defenders - 7/10
Iron Fist - 6.5/10

Another new Mr. Robot trailer dropped yesterday...

One more episode of The Leftovers until im done with the series. Gonna watch it later today. One of the best shows I've watched the last 10 years. This mash up with Leftovers music and Fresh Prince is amazing...

Partial IP: 73.63.89.4

Bennett

Total Posts: 1389
posted Friday, September 01, 2017 1:22:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Bennett   Click Here to Email Bennett
Clockworx - If you are looking for hip-hop references, then you need to see Luke Cage's first season. Fab Five Freddy even makes an appearance.

I'd rank the Marvel shows similarly to you...

Daredevil S.1 - 9/10
Daredevil S.2 - 9.5/10
Jessica Jones - 9/10
Luke Cage - 8.5/10
Defenders - 8/10
Iron Fist - 6/10

Partial IP: 62.144.146

Total Posts: 16725
posted Friday, September 01, 2017 1:48:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i just finished season one of taxi.

devito and hirsch were dope.

tippi dink

Total Posts: 5164
posted Friday, September 01, 2017 2:49:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
man, i can't even remember all the problems i had with defenders but i think that goes to show how forgetful that show was to me in general because i just watched it a few weeks ago. i just don't think it was a good show, period. i feel like it kind of undid some of the character development from the previous shows, or at least the character development that was hinted at be the end of the characters respective seasons. jessica jones went back to acting like this edgy teenage girl who was just soooooo over everything, danny went back to whining about everything, etc. the interaction between the characters was good, but again the only character that really even resembles the character in the comics imo is daredevil. the 4 main characters DID have chemistry together, especially danny and luke cage, but when they were apart it just felt like a diluted version of the other shows. the moments focusing on jessica just felt like jessica jones, the daredevil scenes just felt like daredevil episodes, and so on. the whole point of the end of luke cage is that he was going to jail, and then in this show he's just gets out like it's nothing and it's never really mentioned again after the first episode. in iron fist, the first half of the season was spent on danny trying to convince people he was iron fist, and then in this show it's the same thing. it gets old after a while. the show overall to me was like a poorly stitched together quilt instead of the completed puzzle that i was expecting. man, i didn't think about this before but the way this show started was weird too, like with luke cage. the whole

another problem i had is the villains, especially elektra who was the major threat in this show since apparently this organization that's centuries old only has 100 members. elektra was the worst part about daredevil season 2 but at least she had a personality and was kind of fun. here she's just so boring and lifeless, i mean she didnt even have her own motivations for 3/4 of the season. compare that to harold, cottonmouth, kilgrave, kingpin, etc - they were all way more compelling and interesting. i also don't like what they did to madam gao's character in this, who was one of my favorites in the other shows.

also i definitely think the action in these shows has taken a nosedive since iron fist, it just feels like the director genuinely has no idea how to film an action scene so they just resort to constant quick cuts most of the time. the best fights in this whole show were iron fist vs luke cage and the sword fight with colleen at the end. overall i didn't completely hate defenders, but it's easily my least favorite of the marvel netflix shows.

daredevil s1 - 9.5/10
daredevil s2 - 8.5/10
jessica jones - 8/10
luke cage - 7.5/10
iron fist - 7/10
defenders - 6/10

some books i got recently, you can probably tell i really like these marvel epic collections lol.

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 3:09:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
kallisti - yeah nier is basically a spin off from ending 'e' of drakengard, which is another game i really liked. i remember i got that for christmas the year it came out and i spent almost my whole winter vacation playing it lol. second one wasn't very good though, and i haven't played 3 yet.

seriously, just listen to these lol. the songs from nier aren't even sung in english, it's a fictional language made by mashing together other languages. i always thought that was pretty interesting.

i'd love a new darkstalkers game, but i'm not going to hold my breath. capcom has made so many questionable decisions over these last 10 or so years, i don't expect anything good from them at this point.

Speaking of fighters that move strange, you must be a fan of that weirdo Voldo in SC

yeah voldo is one of my favorites, in a previous comment in that thread i said he was one of my mains. i love his purple & yellow spider costume in SCV with the codpiece that's in the shape of a spiders's head lol. originally i just started playing him because of the weird design but i ended up really digging that unpredictable playstyle, which is the same reason i like yoshimitsu.

Ended up playing Jak & Daxter on the PS4 this weekend, still just as awesome as the first time I played it. Yeah, I remember the tonal shift on the sequel was pretty strange as well, plus it seemed like they were trying to be Grand Theft Auto too. Jak II is supposed to be one of the hardest games on the PS2 but I clocked it, never finished the third one though.

even when i first played jak 2, it felt like it was just trying to capitalize off the success of GTA 3 which was released only a couple months before the first jak and daxter. i just couldn't really get into it, i got maybe halfway through and then stopped. never played jak 3 either. so that jak and daxter collection is available on ps4? i thought it was ps3 only, or can you get them digitally on psn?

Kallisti87

Total Posts: 744
posted Friday, September 01, 2017 5:19:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Kallisti87
The Defenders overall was just ok and yeah, The Hand seemed a lot more formidable during the last season of Daredevil. Then when all the main members of The Hand meet up and were beaten so easily, it doesn't really make sense.
Was going to watch that Mr. Robot trailer yesterday but it's blocked in my country. Just found a working link for it now though.
The Leftovers soundtrack is so good, should probably get around to starting the third season soon.
Just finished that season 4 episode 11 of POI last night, seems like Shaw's pretty much fucked at this point.

HBO have been uploading a bunch of Curb Your Enthusiasm scenes to youtube lately but they're all from the older seasons. About a month away from the new season now.

I've heard of Taxi but haven't seen it, 88 do you watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? It has Devito in it too, starting in season 2.

That Nier soundtrack sounds pretty dope, the second track you posted wouldn't sound out of place in a fighting game like Tekken or SC. The third one reminds me of the opening song in Devil May Cry 4 which I think sounds pretty awesome, even though it's not my usual style of music to listen to.

The Jak and Daxter game's got announced as being ported to the PS4 earlier this year, the first one was a pre-order bonus with the new Uncharted game, only the first one has been released on the PS4 so far though. I remember Jak 3 being easier than II but still never got around to finishing it.

Don't know if you're into fps games but this trailer just came out yesterday, looks pretty fun to me. No release date or announcement of platforms yet though.

Saw you mention you liked Hellsing in that other thread, what did you think of Drifters?

New Septicflesh music video

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 5:29:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
I've heard of Taxi but haven't seen it, 88 do you watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? It has Devito in it too, starting in season 2.

nah, i haven't. my one friend is always trying to get me to watch it. i'll get to it, some day. too much other stuff to watch, though.

Kallisti87

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 6:10:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Kallisti87
I'd say season 1 is skippable, Danny Devito joins the show in the first episode of season 2, which is still one of my favorite episodes of the show. This is the very start of it.

This scene with him always cracks me up.

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 6:12:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Leftovers finale was amazing. Gave some closure while still leaving a ton of stuff open to viewer interpretation.

I agree with some of both of your guys points. Jessica Jones was overly one dimensional in the show. A regression in character development for sure. I wouldn't have minded Elektra as much if they gave her character some direction. Basically what i assume is her Black Sky character started having cracks in her memory which eventually led her to figure out who she really was. All of that over the course of a few episodes. Gao was a force, especially on Iron Fist. She was pretty much dominated by the other villains. I would've taken Nobo over all of those fingers. He had one of, if not the greatest fight scene in the Marvel/Netflix history against Daredevil. And i've never liked the character of Claire. I have a feeling The Punisher is going to more than make up for what was a disappointment.

I actually met Devito a couple years ago. He was just randomly at the Starbucks a few minutes from my crib. While i always knew he was short, i couldn't fucking believe how small he was in person lulz. The bodyguard he was with was damn near double his size.

A new DC/CW trailer came out...

Arrow is gonna be must watch. Flash has 5 episodes to prove itself or I'm done with it. Have no interest in Supergirl and never pulled the trigger on Legends of Tomorrow. Can't believe only a month away until they all premiere again.

Any upcoming shows you guys interested in? Might be looking for new recommendations. This the only new one I'm going to peep so far...

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 7:44:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Oh and i finished that Deadpool Volume 1 book which included the first two stories in that arc. The first was Dead Presidents which was just meh to me. The second was Soul Hunter which was much more entertaining. Plus his interactions with Spider Man and Daredevil were lulz...

some_text

I was initially hesitant to cop the next hardcover after the Presidents story but for sure going to now.

mic_data

Total Posts: 481
posted Friday, September 01, 2017 8:28:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
In the fall I'll be checking The Gifted and Runaways whenever that comes out on Hulu, but I'm not getting Hulu. If they do Runaways right, it should be really good, cus the comics by Brian K. Vaughan (Saga, Y the Last Man) were good.

I'm a space Scif Fi fan so I'll be checking The new Star Trek Discovery and this Star Trek like comedy Orville from Seth McFarland (Family Guy), looks kinda funny.

I'll check the Punisher out too, maybe not right away though since I think it's a prequel, I'd rather it cover what's going on with Frank now, but maybe that was just a rumor, I haven't seen anything about the story yet.

Other than that, definitely Stranger Things, Mr. Robot, Legion whenever that comes back, probably Westworld, but maybe not right away. Westworld ended well, but watching the whole thing was like tedious to me for some reason, I had to space it out. Probably give the Flash and Supergirl another season, missed Arrow and Legends last year, so I'm not really trying to catch up right now.

*Oh- shit! Also Dirk Gently- check out season 1 if you can find it, loved it, season 2 hopefully this fall.

5th point

Total Posts: 557
posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:39:12 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
how about caps lock spoiler alert...i just started defenders, daredevil was cool especially season one, luke cage was decent, iron fist has always been one of my favorite marvel characters and man they fucked his show off hard

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 10:27:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
My bad about the spoilers. Didn't miss much anyway as the series was a bit of a letdown.

Shows dropping in the Fall i'm going to be checking out...

Mr. Robot
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Vice Principals
Supernatural
The Flash
Arrow
Lucifer
The Gifted
The Punisher

I think that's it.

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 10:30:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
sorry 5th point, i tried not to go into too much detail or spoil anything past the first couple episodes.

kallisti -

The third one reminds me of the opening song in Devil May Cry 4 which I think sounds pretty awesome, even though it's not my usual style of music to listen to

i can definitely see why you'd compare the two. it's not something i'd typically listen to either but with that emile sacrifice track from nier whenever i hear it i'm reminded of that scene from the game, which was really dramatic and heart-wrenching.. but you could probably already tell based on the title of the track lol.

it's always sunny is great, one of the few shows that actually makes me laugh out loud on a regular basis. i actually liked season 1 a lot, because the characters seemed more realistic. in the later seasons they pretty much became exaggerated caricatures of their former selves.

Any upcoming shows you guys interested in? Might be looking for new recommendations. This the only new one I'm going to peep so far...

these are all the shows i watch that are still ongoing

game of thrones
westworld
legion
hannibal
black mirror
american gods
shameless
it's always sunny
mr. robot
netflix marvel shows
arrow/flash
into the badlands
stranger things
silicon valley
orange is the new black
atlanta

the runaways tv show might be cool, also curious to see what they're going to do with that cloak and dagger show. i always thought they were two of the most interesting but underutilized characters in the marvel universe, it's too bad all of these street level characters won't be meeting in these tv shows though. it will always feel fragmented. i'd love to see spider-man, moon knight, punisher, blade, ghostrider, cloak and dagger, daredevil, iron fist, etc all interact.

there might be a few others here and there but that's most of them for sure.

mic_data

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 10:35:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
Aw yeah, I didn't mention comedies- I'm also on Vice Principals and Larry David, but also Broad City is a pretty funny on Comedy Central. I still watch South Park too, ha.

There's a long running British Comedy called Peepshow that was funny if you can find it that I'd suggest watching.

I just finished Defenders today. I mean, it was almost like a long movie, but I liked how they brought everyone together including the side characters, and how different characters that hadn't talked before were having conversations- something I liked in that last couple eps of GOT too. I mean, it could have been better, but it was cool, lots of things form the series came together, not sure where it's going form there tho.

mic_data

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 10:46:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
Tip, awww shit, Black Mirror and Into the Badlands, totally forgot about them, but I didn't realize they were starting in the fall- cool! Silicon Valley probably won't be until later.

I could not get past the first ep of American Gods - how did it turn out?

Also, not sold on the Inhumans, which I just remembered, it's like way oversaturated with hero stuff now, not all these shows can survive at once. I'm thinking it will flop, but hopefully The Gifted won't, cus I'm an X-Men fan and wanted something along their lines forever, hopefully Runaways won't flop either, but it's a Hulu show, so who knows.

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 10:57:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
oh i have no idea when they're starting, i just listed the shows i watch that i know aren't finished yet. i'd be surprised if we got black mirror this year, and into the badlands was just renewed for a third season at the end of april.

american gods was cool, but the show hasn't gotten to the "good" part of the book where it really picks up. book started out slow, but the show is even slower because they keep padding it with scenes that never happened in the book just for character development. visually the show is incredible though.

and yeah, that inhumans show looks awful. there are reviews out there for the first two episodes that are just tearing it apart. not looking forward to that at all, i would have rather had it be a movie like it was supposed to originally

Kallisti87

posted Saturday, September 02, 2017 6:14:14 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Kallisti87
Dirk Gently season one is on Netflix, only watched a couple episodes but it was pretty weird, will have to finish off the season some time.

Of new shows coming up I'm going to check out Marvel's Inhumans, The Gifted, Runaways though I don't know when that's coming out and Black Lightning, those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.
Off returning shows, Bojack Horseman, South Park, Vice Principals, The Good Place, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Lucifer, Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow, The Flash, Supernatural, Mr. Robot, Stranger Things and Stan Against Evil. Damn that's a lot of tv.

tippi, speaking of shows that make you laugh out loud, these two cartoons made me laugh out loud on numerous occasions.

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Saturday, September 02, 2017 11:43:26 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Just finished that season 4 episode 11 of POI last night, seems like Shaw's pretty much fucked at this point.

How great was that episode? All the different simulations. Edge of my seat throughout the entire hour. And that ending, what a gut punch. You've seem to have gone through that show pretty quickly. Glad you decided to check it out. Such an amazing show.

This is another show dropping in few weeks im going to watch...

Each season is a different story. They're all based off of creepypastas. Last season, which was the first one, was pretty disappointing. But this one looks a lot better off the trailer.

I'm done with American Horror Story. I was thought it was overrated to begin with but couldn't even make it through last season.

Anyone ever peep that new Netflix show, Ozark? Gotten mostly good reviews. Was thinking about checking it out now that i finished The Leftovers. Was either going to peep that or Preacher Season 2.

Lit Jagger

Total Posts: 2275
Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Saturday, September 02, 2017 9:03:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Drifter is horrible, worst animation and dialogue I've seen in a while

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Saturday, September 02, 2017 10:02:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Any of you bros interested in this movie?

IT dropping next weekend. I don't see most movies in the theater but thats going to be an exception.

Also this dropping soon...

I watched the first one on Netflix last year and it was pretty dope for a 'found footage' indie horror movie. The last act was pretty chilling.

5th point

posted Sunday, September 03, 2017 2:15:44 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
yo clock legends of tommorrow is pretty lame supergirl was ok cause i watched when i was waiting for other shows to come out...is arrow season 5 worth my time? i loved the first 4 but got into 5 wear he was training the new team and ot kinda put me off, but i do have the entire mike grell green arrow run the cover art on those are dope

anyone seen valerian or started deathnote yet?

tippi dink

posted Sunday, September 03, 2017 3:16:28 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
arrow season 5 is the best season since the second one imo, i'm sure clock will agree with me on that.

and the death note movie is awful. they tried to cram so much into 100 minutes and it's really nothing like the manga/anime. the best part of the movie is ryuk and L, even though they're barely in it. it's basically an americanized young adult romance movie.

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Sunday, September 03, 2017 8:26:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Yo 5th, as tippi said, Arrow Season 5 was fucking awesome. Best villain possibly ever in the series and much darker then Seasons 3 and 4 which were my least two favorite seasons. Plus a couple of the new characters on Olivers team become likable.

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Sunday, September 03, 2017 9:24:38 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Are any of you bros Metallica fans? Went HAM with them back in the 90's but been revisiting them lately and their 80's shit through Black Album was all top shelf. If you're fans, what your favorite albums of theirs?

I'm four episodes into Strike Back. It's like Banshee if Banshee took place inside a British secret unit. Great and unpredictable show so far. On Amazon Prime their Season 1 is really Season 2 of the show. Season 1 was a standalone season with different characters so starting in what is technically Season 2 isn't a big deal.

5th point

posted Sunday, September 03, 2017 11:38:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
their 80s shit through black album was mainly written by dave mustain who founded megadeth after he was kicked out of metallica musically megadeth is far superior imo even though they swap out members like observe swaps tampons, alot of people dont like daves vocs though....anyways i like ride the lightning the best. if you like metallica def check testament if you havent

Lit Jagger

Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Sunday, September 03, 2017 11:55:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Dave was only in the group because the first band mate died in a tour bus accident . Master of puppets is my favorite. I had the kill em all on vinyl , but master of puppets on cassette, nothing else matters is still my favorite song of theirs

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, September 03, 2017 11:56:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Or Maybe they replaced the guy that died with that young bassist, forgot his name

5th point

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 1:14:36 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
^Dave was an original member, cliff burton was the bass player who died im not sure who his original replacement was but they now have the bass player from suicidal tendacies, mustain played guitar...also sorry for talkin shit but you can be real annoying...thats overshadowed by your metal knowledge at the moment

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 9:33:30 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Burton died in '86. He contributed to Kill Em All, Ride The Lighting, and Master of Puppets.

Master of Puppets, Ride The Lightning, And Justice For All, Black Album, Kill Em All would be my ranking of the Top 5.

Japan has a CD boxset i might cop...

some_text

tippi dink

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 9:40:13 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
Saw you mention you liked Hellsing in that other thread, what did you think of
Drifters?

it's been on my list but i haven't gotten around to watching it yet. i haven't watched any new anime recently, just rewatched stuff that i already love.

man i forgot all about preacher too, i haven't even started this season yet. by the time i found out it was airing again the season was already half over so i figured i'd just wait until it was done and binge watch it.

i used to like metallica a lot when i was younger and first getting into metal, but i never really listen to them anymore. nowadays i find them kinda boring tbh. i still respect them as a band, everything before load anyway. a lot of people say that st. anger was the beginning of their downfall but i really only like their first 5 albums, with ride the lightning and master of puppets being my favorite. i think my taste in metal just became too fucked up once i started really diving into the more extreme subgenres and experimental stuff.

5th point

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 2:05:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
^^what do you think about animals as leaders? tosin abasi is one of my fav musicians

tippi dink

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 2:28:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
love animals as leaders, especially the self titled album and the joy of motion. tosin is one of my favorite guitarists for sure.

isis
cynic
gojira
neurosis
maudlin of the well
kayo dot
mastodon
ne obvliscaris
mgla
deathspell omega
pallbearer
anaal nathrakh
the ocean
wolves in the throne room
baroness
dragged into sunlight
converge
ash borer
unexpect
king diamond
emperor
panopticon
exivious
boris
meshuggah
oranssi pazuzu
protest the hero
oathbreaker
dillinger escape plan
nails

that's the type of stuff i like

5th point

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 6:49:08 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
ive heard about a third of those bands

do you like...

in flames
revocation
periphery
keith merrow
a perfect circle
strapping young lad
norma jean

non metal

umphreys mcgee
dispatch
victor wooten
indubious
steve vai
satriani ?

tippi dink

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 7:11:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
which ones are your favorites out of the ones i named?

i like early in flames, but some of the stuff after clayman is laughably bad imo. revocation is cool. also devin townsend/strapping young lad and norma jean. i actually kinda forgot about norma jean, they were one of my favorite bands in high school. bless the martyr w/ josh scogin on vocals is probably my favorite but i like most of the stuff they've put out, except for anti mother which was really underwhelming.i haven't heard their album from last year though, polar something iirc. how is that? not a fan of periphery at all, and perfect circle is alright but honestly i've never been a fan of maynard's vocals. definitely prefer APC over tool though.

i like satriani, wooten, and vai a lot but don't know anything about the other non-metal artists you mentioned. my taste is all over the place though.. black metal, hip hop, sludge, prog, math-rock, idm, shoegaze, post-rock, jazz, funk, grindcore, post-punk, noise, avant garde/experimental stuff, etc.

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 8:28:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
I just saw this flick...

I highly recommend it. About a half hour into the flick, it turns from a standard, run of the mill 'intruders break in with woman inside the house' movie to an entirely different type of vibe. Nice twists and turns even tho one part of the last act was predictable.

5th point

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 8:28:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
if you like jazz and funk you should def check umphreys mcgee their a jam band and their live performances make them special to me...indubious is a local reggae band from here its two brothers who sing and one plays bass the other keyboard but there both top notch with their respective instruments. also i played a couple shows with them when i was in a band and they were super humble down to earth dudes even though they started to blow up

out of the bands you mentioned

dillinger escape plan

i love their unique time signatures kinda like norma jean, and the level of complexity mixed with the accurate and perfectly constructed chaos, also their the first band you could call "math rock" or "math core" i can think of although i hate breaking metal down into all the sub genres i can explain why if your interested

meshuggah

birth of djint imo i love their use of 7 or 8 strings and drop b tuning
they imo started the real low, heavy, punchy style of music were hearing from newer bands like periphery, if u havent heard periphery check their song make total destroy

also i havent heard anything from in flames after clayman

5th point

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 8:33:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
^ just noticed u said u dont like periphery so scratch that...and as far as tool and apc i dont really listen to for the vocs and they arent very technical either bit the way they build songs is so dynamic i can just zone out and go on a journey

Kallisti87

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 9:26:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Kallisti87
Yeah, that simulation stuff was pretty cool, I figured Finch wouldn't die anyway though, lol. Think I'm up to episode 17 of the fourth season now, will probably be up to the last season by the end of the week.

Haven't watched Ozark but I saw it mentioned somewhere someone was saying it's like the next Breaking Bad, kind of doubt that but might be worth checking out.

Jeeper Creepers 3 could be interesting but they've taken so long since the last one I wonder if they'll start where the second ended with the Creeper hanging up in that guys barn, he's supposed to wake up every 23 years iirc.

This video came out recently of vice Principals.

Saw Metallica live back when I was still in High School, don't really care about them anymore though, haven't even checked out their latest album.
Testament are cool

Preacher's season 2 finale is next week. No new Rick and Morty yesterday because you guys had Labour weekend or something.

tippi, Mastodon released a new track a few days ago.

You heard of Magrudergrind?

I think I might have mentioned them before but what do you think of this track by All Pigs Must die? Probably my favorite song by them

God Mother is a band you may or may not have heard of that you may or may not like.

Clock, your description of that Intruders movie sounds a lot like that Hush movie.

Was talking to some Polish guys the other day and they were telling me Poland has a huge hip hop scene, this was one of the tracks they recommended, sounds pretty dope but I don't understand a word they're saying. The last rapper looks a lot like Rami Malek from Mr. Robot, lol.

tippi dink

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 9:32:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i'll check out umphreys mcgee for sure

i'm pretty sure botch, cave in, deadguy, candiria, and coalesce all predate dillinger but they were still one of the most important bands in that early scene, and definitely one of the best. i also love how many different genres they incorporated into some of their later albums. it's a shame that they broke up but at least they went out with a bang, dissociation is such a great album.

yeah i never liked periphery, too poppy and i'm not a fan of spencers vocals at all. they seem like talented musicians though, just not something i enjoy.

also i havent heard anything from in flames after clayman

i really suggest you keep it that way, they fell off harder than pertty much any metal band i can think of and its not like it was just one mistep, it was 6 or 7 back to back lol.

i see you mentioned math rock, do you fuck with tricot or toe at all? those are two of my favorite, both are japanese bands. also a huge fan of hella/anything zach hill does.

you can tell from the live videos that all the memebers of toe are super passionate, and takashi is straight up one of the best drummers i've ever heard.

tricot is an all-female band, their music kinda reminds of opening themes from an anime except not as corny at some of that stuff tends to be.

5th point

posted Monday, September 04, 2017 11:21:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
^^i may have heard those bands but cant recall, dude i used to jam with was crazy about math rock and he showed me a shit load of math rock bands, i never got it cause i think all music is math based 4\4 timing 3\4 timing etc eigth notes quarter notes half notes etc etc all structered music is fundamentally math driven

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:31:57 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
yeah i've heard that mastodon track. that ep should be interesting since it was written entirely by brent hinds. always down for new mastodon though, especially since emperor of sand from earlier this year was pretty disappointing imo.

magrudergrind is cool, i haven't heard listened to them in a long time but that album with the yellow cover is dope. i think it might self titled. definitely a fan of all pigs must die though. you probably know this already but the drummer in that band is ben from converge and kurt ballou produced/mixed their albums. looking forward to their new album dropping next month.

i don't think i've heard of god mother before but i'll check em out. i'm really digging the cover art for that 'maktbehov' album.

i may have heard those bands but cant recall, dude i used to jam with was crazy about math rock and he showed me a shit load of math rock bands, i never got it cause i think all music is math based 4\4 timing 3\4 timing etc eigth notes quarter notes half notes etc etc all structured music is fundamentally math driven

i get what you're saying but i think with mathrock/mathcore it's more rhythmically complex than most music with odd time signatures that are constantly changing. that's just my understanding of it, i'm not a musician but i always considered it more of a specific sound/style though than an entire genre. so from that perspective i'm not really looking at it from a technical aspect, i just love the way it sounds. i used to listen to at lot of (early) tera melos, totorro, 65daysofstatic, fall of troy, some minus the bear, this town needs guns, maps & atlases, etc.

the number 12 looks like you and every time i die were two of my other favorite bands in high school along with norma jean. TNTLLY's 2007 album 'mongrel is incredible, so glad those guys are back together but i just hope if they put out another album it's half as good as that one lol. also i think every time i die are one of the best metalcore bands ever and i love the humor and energy those guys bring to the table. i've seen them perform a few times and they're insane like. so are dillinger escape plan and nails lol. i really need to start going to metal shows again because those end up being some of the most memorable.

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:53:17 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
tippi, i just finished reading this graphic novel:

you'll recognize the name (illustrator of daredevil born again and batman year one). the story's not bad, but, holy shit, the visual storytelling is masterful. i haven't read something this confident, in terms of visual storytelling, since i read scott mccloud's sculptor. this is high level sequential storytelling. these guys make it look so easy. it's insane.

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 11:13:08 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
never heard of asterios polyp before but you just sold me on it with that one paragraph lol. love mazzucchelli's workon both batman year one and daredevil, he did more than just born again. looked up a few panels on google images and it definitely looks interesting. added it to my wishlist on IST but i don't know when i'll actually order it, there just sooooo many fucking books coming out before the end of the this year. these are just the books i'm interested in from the next month or so. there's no way i could justify getting even half of these so i'm going to have to pick and choose.

9/6 -

Star Wars - Darth Vader By Gillen And Larocca Omnibus
Punisher by Garth Ennis Omnibus
Punisher: Back To The War Omnibus
Hulk: Planet Hulk Omnibus
Iron Fist Vol. 1 The Gauntlet TP
Wicked + The Divine Book Two HC

9/13
Mike Mignolaís Hellboy Artistís Edition

9/20

Daredevil Epic Collection: Heart Of Darkness TPB
Power Man And Iron Fist Vol. 3 Street Magic TPB
Mister Miracle By Jack Kirby TPB
Moon Knight Vol. 3 Birth And Death TPB
Doctor Strange Vol. 4 Mr. Misery HC
Moebius Library: The Art of Edena HC

9/27

Thor Epic Collection: The Wrath Of Odin TPB
Indestructible Hulk By Mark Waid Complete Collection TPB
Wolverine: Old Man Logan Vol. 5 Past Lives TPB

10/4

Doctor Strange Epic Collection Volume 13 Afterlife TPB
Hulk World War Hulk Omnibus
Shang-Chi Master Of Kung Fu Omnibus Volume 4
Thor By Walter Simonson Omnibus
Thor Heroes Return Omnibus
Tomb Of Dracula The Complete Collection Volume 1
Werewolf By Night The Complete Collection Volume 1
Swamp Thing The Bronze Age Omnibus

10/11

Hellboy In Hell Library Edition HC
Absolute Authority Vol. 1 HC
Justice League: Darkseid War Saga Omnibus
Demon By Jack Kirby TPB

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 11:22:26 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
that vader series was really good. first star wars comic i've ever read, and loved it. that story deserves to be made into a movie, tbh. you'll definitely enjoy it. the premise is fantastic: vader just lost the death star (see: a new hope), so the emperor's pissed and is considering replacing vader. the series is about what vader does to regain his position/credibility. i mean, damn, how could you not be into that? i never even thought about the fallout that losing the death star would have caused.

lol, i was holding world of edena in my hands and just staring at it last night, while watching some curb your enthusiasm. i bought it when it first came out, but haven't removed the plastic wrapping yet, just because i have too much shit to read from the library, first. i nearly tore the wrapping off last night and started it, but i have three books due back at the library in 2 days, so i couldn't do it. priorities fucking with me.

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 11:49:19 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
yeah i'm sure i'll love that darth vader series. there are a ton of people that have praised the hell out of it and recommended it to me but i just never got around to picking up the TPBS as they were coming out. then the omnibus was announced and i decided to just wait for that instead. i've never read any star wars comics before, but i'm a huge fan of the stuff i've read from kieron gillen (wicked + the divine, loki journey into mystery, phonogram) so i figured this would be the perfect time to start. that's one of the books coming out by the end of the year that i'm most excited about, along with the grayson, jack kirby's fourth world, simonson's thor, and ennis's punisher omnis.

i feel you though, there are a few books i bought a year ago that i haven't gotten to yet and that's without worrying about library due dates lol. apparently art of edena is a collection of four edena-related short stories and a ton of moebius illustrations so i'm all about it

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 12:10:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
the other star wars comics i've read since the vader one were shattered empire and han solo. i wouldn't say shattered empire is worth the time, but i highly recommend the han solo one. it's great for how short it is. just one trade.

yeah, edena's a collection of stories moe was telling about these two characters in the land of edena, i think. i'm hyped to read it, and am looking forward to the future moebius releases that are scheduled to come out over the next little while.

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 12:30:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i'll look into other star wars comics for sure if i like this vader series. there's the "star wars original marvel years" omni's which collect the comics from the 70's and 80's but the fact that they're dirt cheap kinda makes me think that no one is buying them because theyre not very good. i don't know much about that han solo series except that marjorie liu wrote it. she also wrote monstress, which is one of my favorite ongoing series right now. the art in that book is so damn good. definitely manga inspired but also gives me yoshitaka amano vibes as well.

yeah i know that world of edena follows stel and atan but i'm not sure about the short stories collected in the art of edena hardcover. actually, i just looked it up and apparently the four short stories collected in art of edena are outside of the main narrative so it makes sense that they seperated them.

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 12:39:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
the han is good. it - just like the vader series - takes place between new hope and empire strikes back. han is recruited by leiah to find a spy in the rebel forces. since han is an ally but not a real member of the alliance, he can be trusted. his task is to partake in the most coveted space race in the galaxy (one he's watched and dreamed of racing in his whole life, btw) and find the spy, who will be one of three people he has to pick up at the re-fueling planets, during the race. but can han stay focused on the mission, or will the allure of victory in the race distract him?

it's great.

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 12:58:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
huh the premise of that actually sounds pretty interesting, though not really what i would have expected. definitely sounds like something marjorie liu could pull off, i'll make that priority once i finish the vader series.

i've also heard good things about the lando miniseries, which is written by charles soule and drawn by alex maleev. i really dig alex maleev's art, especially his work on the bendis moon knight run.

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 1:02:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
yeah, i read that the lando was good too. i'm not in too much of a rush to read through all the star wars comics, though. it feels like there are only so many of them that are supposed to be good, so i'm spreading it out a bit.

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 1:08:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
yeah vader, lando, and han solo are the only series i've ever heard people talk about really. i don't know if that's just because they're newer or if they're the only ones that are actually worth talking about though. i've never really cared about star wars as much as some people seem to though, so i'd be fine with just those three. i'm always hesitant to get into other comic book universes, especially comics based on other properties, just because there's so much stuff out there i haven't that directly connects to the series i'm already into.

All times are ET. The time now is 4:09 AM.Post viewed 1441 timesPage: 1 2 3
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: