Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (35) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Mach Hommy - Dumpmeister

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 237 replies
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
AuthorTopic:  Mach Hommy - Dumpmeister
wicked 22.2

Total Posts: 2424
posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 8:25:17 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wicked 22.2   Click Here to Email wicked 22.2
HBO is a certified MDC

Partial IP: 62.144.146

tippi dink

Total Posts: 4903
posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 8:25:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
he could have made it available for digital download afterwards, even though that might piss off a few people who forked over the cash for the cd. i do think he would have been able to sell a ton of copies of the original though, just because of how many collectors are out there. those are the people who were buying the physicals, not your average person who would never in a million years think of spending that much on a cd in the first place. at the end of the day mp3s are equivalent to a physical copy of a cd. i bet even if mach added a disclaimer saying "just so yall know i'm gonna sell this album digitally a year from now" people still would have bought it.

even if you disagree and believe that the mystery surrounding HBO is the only reason it sold, i think we could all agree that mach could have stopped after that and used the buzz generated from HBO to sell more copies of his next project at a regular price. fahim went in the opposite direction and exponentially increased the price of his albums as time went on.

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37713
posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 8:28:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Id be content if they did normal price ($12-$15) for download and $50 or even $100 for a CD of it. While ill never understand charging an insane amount of money for a digital only version of an album, if heads are willing to fork over dough for it then can't hate on the hustle, even if it does blow for fans that wanna hear the album.

dj rolo

Total Posts: 2903
posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 8:41:24 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
i think what most are missing has something to do with what Clock just said, being limited attracts a certain type of collector/fan, they are willing to pay more the more exclusive the item is...it's not just in music either.

HBO is a top album of 2016, yet most people have yet to hear it...but if an album drops and only a select few hear it, does it make it any less of a dope album?

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 8:53:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
the item is still exclusive though, because it's physical. files on a harddrive aren't a collectors item. those mp3s lose all monetary value once you purchase them, but limited copies of a tangible item will usually appreciate over time. i'll use comics as an example - you can find digital comics online for for free or purchase them through a service like comixology, or buy the much cheaper trade paperbacks with the same content, yet the $100 omni's ALWAYS go out of print. variant covers of that same exact omni will usually go out of print IMMEDIATELY because people are worried that if they don't pull the trigger and cop them immediately, then they'll never get the chance to. that's the collector mentality. i think it would be the same thing with HBO. of course the cds wouldn't have sold out as quickly as they did if digital copies were available, but i think they would have sold eventually.

dj rolo

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:18:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
^people want something in their hand for their money. value on items is based on a few things, condition being one of them, rarity, etc...a serious music collector will pay top dollar for that OG press vinyl, yet don't care about some clean-ass mP4 file.

...if you make many, value is lost. this part of the reason baseball cards are basically meaningless

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:22:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
that's exactly what i'm saying rolo, which is why those cds would still sell even if the projects were available digitally JUST because of the exclusivity of the phyisicals. i never said he should mass produce the cds. there's vinyl records on discogs right now that sell for $150 despite the fact that you could easily acquire them digitally.

wicked 22.2

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:23:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wicked 22.2   Click Here to Email wicked 22.2
d'oh! I just told my mom to send my baseball cards smh

Loewi

Total Posts: 4464
posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:25:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
I think it's already been demonstrated that people don't have the same mentality in regards to music as comic books or other media.

Loewi

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:26:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
I highly doubt Mach would make 56K with a cheaper digital factored in

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:28:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
then why do vinyl records sell for $100+ dollars on discogs? why do limited colored vinyl releases tend to sell out immediately? it's the same mentality.

Loewi

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:33:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Oh, I mean paying that much directly to the artist, not some 3rd party flipper. Furthermore, the flippers would make more than Mach. That would be pure fuckery

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:33:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
https://www.discogs.com/sell/history/67789

here's a perfect example. $250 for a record vs $10 for a digital download, and people are still buying the vinyl. in this case it's even worse though because that $250 dollars isn't even going to the artist, it's going to some random person on the internet.

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:34:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
why do you think people would be more inclined to give that much money to a random motherfucker than the artist who made the art in the first place? people just want to the physical copy of the album.

Loewi

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:39:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Are those records at inflated prices from 3rd party sellers selling out to the point of no availability when the digital availability is factored in?

My mind is lazy right now so I'm processing shit slowly. My bad lol

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:47:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
yes, you can go on itunes right now and buy that album for $10 dollars, yet people are still spending $250 on discogs just to own the vinyl. there's a ton of other examples of this. maybe not many for that high of a price, but still $100 when the album is readily available digitally.

another example

https://www.discogs.com/sell/history/970266

Loewi

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:49:53 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
But are 187 people buying the inflated priced vinyl?

Also, how big is the artist?

At the end of the day, I think things are working in Mach's favor

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:58:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
yes, 187 people have bought that album for more than it sold for originally at least. it's 3rd party though, so the price keeps going up over time. part of the reason people buy limited releases, original pressings, or stuff that will go out of print soon is because it typically increases in value. it's an investment. you can't just say "oh well that's not how music works" when it's been proven that it works the same was as all other physical media. that hardcore collector mentality is the same no matter what you're collecting. if anything i think people would be even more inclined to pay for mach's albums at their inflated prices if they knew that money was going directly towards the artist instead of a flipper on the internet.

Heavy365

Total Posts: 31
posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:05:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Heavy365
Did any1 ever get their dollar menu 3 cds yet

Loewi

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:06:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Okay, I was wrong about that collector mentality shit.

But how big is that artist if it's guaranteed that many inflated priced vinyl records sold when the digital is factored in?

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:27:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
oh the avalanches are pretty well known, since i left you of the most influential and important plunderphonics albums out there. but they got to where they are by actually giving people a chance to hear their music in the first place lol. mach has gotten cosigned by a ton of well known artists and that's based on the music itself, nothing else. HBO wouldn't need to be a mainstream critically acclaimed album to sell, it would be a cult classic and still sell just like anything else just because of the exclusivity of the physicals. 187 isn't a lot if you really think about it. he also could have made 300 copies of the album and charged 150 each, and i still think they would have sold. there's definitely niche collectors items where there were way more than 187 made and they still sell out. you obviously feel that HBO is worth 300 dollars, so what makes you think that other people wouldn't think it's at least worth $150 or $200? it might take a little longer to sell them all, but they would still sell and he would have gained a larger fanbase as well. then the next time he released an album, it would sell out even quicker.

also with this release, it's not even a physical album. its $187 for a digital album. once you buy it, it's essentially 100% worthless as soon as you purchase it. at least if it was physical you could get your money back eventually.

wicked 22.2

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:32:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wicked 22.2   Click Here to Email wicked 22.2
no $ menu 3 yet

Loewi

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:36:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Maybe Mach prefers fast money.

"The respect? Címonóthatís a foregone conclusion. Thatís the bare minimum. The respect just opens a conversation. Iím here for the bag, son. Iím here for the fucking bag of money, you dumb ass. If not, then I keep it to myself and we keep it obscure and we donít record or do none of that. Time is money."

Like he said, time is money. Waiting for the dollars to pour in when you could be using that time to make even more money, maybe that's not a good idea to Mach. Either way, I'm sure Mach knows what he's doing at the end of the day

Loewi

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:39:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
We don't know the inner workings of Mach's strategy or the full justification of his prerogative. We're only judging from the surface. I mean, if it's true Fahim made 40k in 3 months, then there's a lot we don't know because it's not that simple

josieandthepussyfarts

Total Posts: 15
posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:40:53 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for josieandthepussyfarts
what makes you think he knows what he is doing? just because someone makes good music doesn't mean they have good business sense.

wicked 22.2

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:44:38 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wicked 22.2   Click Here to Email wicked 22.2
lol that quote is daffyaffy

Loewi

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:52:59 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
I mean I'm sure he has a justification for his progative. Maybe what he's looking for isn't the same as anyone else's. Maybe he wants to make as much from rap now instead of relying on it as a lifetime career. Maybe he wants to pursue other passions in the future

wicked 22.2

posted Tuesday, September 05, 2017 11:56:38 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wicked 22.2   Click Here to Email wicked 22.2
Totally he's right

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 12:52:46 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
when you could be using that time to make even more money

he's not making more money though, that's what i was saying this whole time lol. it wouldn't require any more effort than he's already putting in. he's in it for the bag of money, instead of the BAGS. short term - half as long, twice as bright. you're making excuses for him but ultimately it's all just speculation, i've given you examples from multiple different mediums of limited edition items selling despite the cheaper or more readily available alternatives. i'm sure SP 90s could tell you all about his experiences with limited edition vinyl selling out within seconds of being available. and yeah i'm sure mach is aware of what he's doing as well, but you could say that about literally any decision that anyone has ever made. that doesn't always mean it's the best course of action. i'm sure hitler knew what he was doing and had his own justifications for it. mach wouldn't have to rely on music as a lifelong career either, because those albums would still sell after he quits making music, just like every other artist. why wouldn't someone want that extra steady income?

Loewi

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 2:35:09 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Making more money doing something ELSE in the meantime. Maybe rap isn't his only source of income.

Harry Angel

Total Posts: 149
posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 9:01:35 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Harry Angel
I reckon a lot of it is BS. Their instagram posts with an easily photoshopped pic of someone paying a grand for an album etc. Half the time I reckon it's just their own money, paying themselves and sucking people into the hype. To clarify, I'm not saying people aren't copping this stuff, But I think a lot of it is smoke and mirrors.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 9:32:46 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
Making more money doing something ELSE in the meantime. Maybe rap isn't his only source of income.

that's what you're going with loewi? come on lol, in what world would make make MORE money if he quit rapping by not selling the albums he already made? he already put in the time and effort, so if he's really in it for the money why would he want to make less of it? he could start crocheting or doing charicatures on a new jersey boardwalk or start selling the scented soaps he makes on etsy, while also still getting money from music with minimal effort. i really don't see where you're going with this at all. even if you want to use this filmsy argument for mach, what about fahim who is doing the same thing and has repeatedly stated the all he cares about is being the best rapper? does that sound like someone who is interested in "pursuing other passions in the future" to you?

Loewi

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:18:05 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
that's what you're going with loewi? come on lol, in what world would make make MORE money if he quit rapping by not selling the albums he already made? he already put in the time and effort, so if he's really in it for the money why would he want to make less of it? he could start crocheting or doing charicatures on a new jersey boardwalk or start selling the scented soaps he makes on etsy, while also still getting money from music with minimal effort.

He's making as much money as possible while he still can RIGHT NOW. Then he can move on to something else. It's about FAST money. What if he needs a lot of money to invest in something immediate for something at the future to work?

i really don't see where you're going with this at all. even if you want to use this filmsy argument for mach, what about fahim who is doing the same thing and has repeatedly stated the all he cares about is being the best rapper? does that sound like someone who is interested in "pursuing other passions in the future" to you?

Well, Fahim started lowering his prices

Total Posts: 16503
posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:29:46 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
man, you short term thinking n*ggas. jesus christ.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:31:28 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i don't agree that he's making as money as he can right now, that's what this whole discussion has been about lol. why would you want to support an artist like that anyone, who just wants to pull a fast one over on people and then get out of dodge? someone who will take that bag of money and disappear into the night? usually when people support an artist it's because they want them to continue doing what they're doing. regardless, he could easily sell HBO digitally RIGHT NOW and make more money. it would take him 5 minutes to throw that up on bandcamp. if he really wanted as much money as possible, why isn't he selling physicals of this new project? why didn't he do the same thing he did with HBO here, especially now that there's a buzz and people are confident enough in his ability that they're willing to blindly cop a $200 they've never heard before?

Fahim lowered his prices on the last 3 projects, but there's no way to know if it's going to stay that way forever. he could have just done that to get back into people's good graces and is planning in incrementally increasing the price of each future project.

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:44:33 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
if he really wanted as much money as possible, why isn't he selling physicals of this new project? why didn't he do the same thing he did with HBO here, especially now that there's a buzz and people are confident enough in his ability that they're willing to blindly cop a $200 they've never heard before?

or why not press more copies of hbo? it's like these guys don't want more money, lol. it's genuinely stupid.

with these high digital prices, mach's preventing potential for any new fans. sure, the mystique of it all was cool with hbo, but that gimmick is over. he's putting all his revenue opportunity hopes on the die hard fans that are willing to pay the high amounts. that's something old artists do who have a big established base of die hard fans. that's not something new artists do, who are trying to get bigger and have longer careers. it's backward thinking.

how are you going to get new fans, if you don't allow them to hear your shit? not just new fans, new collaborators too. dj premier's not going to work with you, unless someone tells him to check you out first. no one's going to tell him to check you out, unless your shit's available for those people (and everyone) to hear.

this "the strategy's working RIGHT NOW" argument is really shortsighted and basic. every time a fan buys into this high digital price strategy, they're encouraging mach to keep doing this strategy, which, consequently, prevents other fans from hearing mach's music now and later, which, consequently, is preventing mach's fanbase from growing, which, consequently, is preventing mach's career from lasting longer.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:46:28 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
^ this guy gets it

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:48:46 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
who cares about making $50 grand this year, if you don't make shit for every remaining year of your life afterwards? a steady income is far more valuable than getting a one time, big dollar cash in.

Loewi

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:48:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
I support because I take what I can get.

Who said he won't put it out physically?

He didn't put out HBO digitally because it would be a slight to those who spent money on the CD

Anyway, all of this started by people saying I'm taking money out of Mach's pockets. Even if that were true, it's all about consent, so please don't shame me for shelling out the dough.

Loewi

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:53:00 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
He did press up more copies of HBO

And 88, you completely missed my point about Mach not doing this rap shit forever

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:54:55 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
no it wouldn't unless he specifically said that it would never be released digitally at any point in time. using that logic, if he chose to release physicals for this album it would be a slight to all the people who bought it digitally. again, why would that matter if all he cares about is the money? it just doesn't add up.

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:57:42 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
He didn't put out HBO digitally because it would be a slight to those who spent money on the CD

yeah, he fucked himself over there. fahim did too with the two dump legend releases. even if he's seen the error of his ways, and is now taking a smarter path by charging only $11.11 with new releases, he can't do anything about dump legend 1 and 2. the fans will never hear it, unless he leaks it on soundcloud. either those albums will never be heard by the majority of his fans (which will piss off the majority of his fanbase), or he'll leak it to soundcloud to please the majority of his fanbase (but that will piss off the die hard fans who invested big bucks in it). no matter what, it's a lose-lose. he's jeopardized his relationship with the die hard fans who invested by putting them and himself in a catch-22 situation with these high pricing strategies. i bet he'll either release them on soundcloud or never mention them again, and act like they didn't happen, so people don't ask him about them. that is, if he truly has seen the error of his ways, and will continue to have reasonable pricing from here on out.

Anyway, all of this started by people saying I'm taking money out of Mach's pockets. Even if that were true, it's all about consent, so please don't shame me for shelling out the dough.

that's a bullshit copout.

Loewi

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:02:21 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
That's what he said. It wouldn't be released digitally. You might say the stream leak was a slight, but at least it's just a low quality one

And no, it wouldn't be a slight because he never said there wouldn't be physicals of this. And us Mach fans know he drops physicals of everything eventually, so we had that in mind when purchasing the digital

Loewi

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:03:04 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
How 88?

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:07:30 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
no, i got your point, loewi. i just don't buy the argument that he's trying to get "fast money" right now to go pursue some other career. first, because it seems like you're just making that up as a way to justify in your own mind why he's acting the way he is, basing your whole arguments on "what-ifs" that aren't really that solid of foundations. second, he's on the cusp of getting a far wider audience in the underground, via (for example) collaborating with the alchemist and knxwledge. why would he leave his rap career, when it's about to potentially blow up? i don't think it will blow up, because he keeps getting in his own way with this pricing stupidity, but that's beside the point. if your boss is about to promote you and give you a big raise, that's not usually the time where you go, "well, i've been thinking about joining the gay jamaican circus actually, so i choose to reject your offer, and pursue that instead". instead, that's usually the time when you say, "well, this seems like a very profitable opportunity, and i think i'll see this through, before making any rash decisions".

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:10:01 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
How 88?

go watch inglorious basterds, and pay attention to the christoph waltz character. you're making the same argument here that he made in the third act.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:11:22 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
even if that's true and he actually said it would NEVER be released digitally at any point, then that means he lied since he put it on soundcloud so people could stream it. i bet he never mentioned that when he was selling those cds.

either way, you said he just wants fast money so why would this matter anyway? he would make a ton from selling HBO digitally and then he could go "pursue his other passions". he would gain more fans than he'd lose, and he could put out another limited number of cds for his next album and make even more money even faster. also let me get this straight, you bought this digitally for $187 being 100% confident that a physical copy would be released for the same price later? are you planning on getting that as well, and if not why the hell would you go for the option that loses all value once you buy it? jesus christ lol.

dj rolo

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:15:49 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
i'm done with this whole subject...too much chopping it up over shit that don't mean anything...fkn waste of time. i'm done...you like it buy it, you don't like it...don't buy it. tired of the whining and complaining and analysis and theories and hatin and trash talk and paragraphs about what he should and shouldn't do...peace

Loewi

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:15:53 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Look, all I just want is the music, not people shaming me for contributing to the lack of availability. If that's the only way I can the music, so be it. I'm not the first one who bought the album anyway. I didn't set the precedent. The others before me did

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:24:07 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
Look, all I just want is the music, not people shaming me for contributing to the lack of availability. If that's the only way I can the music, so be it. I'm not the first one who bought the album anyway. I didn't set the precedent. The others before me did

lol, this is terrible.

in this evening's ughh.com performance of titanic, regular user, loewi, will be taking on the billy zane role for us.

posted Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:25:24 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
anyway, let's move on. fahim's new dump goat is alright. not his best project, by far.

All times are ET. The time now is 11:31 PM.Post viewed 6421 timesPage: 1 2 3 4 5
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: