Return To UndergroundHipHop.com Homepage

Back To Starting Page
Click Here For More Info On The Department H Album!
Advertise On UGHH
Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (323) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Brother Ali Is A White Man

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 40 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Brother Ali Is A White Man
Most Incredible Poster

Total Posts: 713
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 12:46:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Most Incredible Poster
To the morons that said "Why should race matter? The music is dope..."

I absolutely agree... if the music is dope, race shouldn't matter. But when a central focus behind an artist's music is his righteousness as a black man, and being a socially aware Muslim albino - race means everything. I'm pretty sure most religions would frown upon an individual who seeks profit through deception.

But then again, why should a white man claiming to be black really matter when his fan base is likely over 75% white anyway? Gives all the white kids with dreadlocks some purpose, no?

Partial IP: 5.229.16.1

They Call Me W.I.C.K.E.D.

Total Posts: 678
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 12:49:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for They Call Me W.I.C.K.E.D.   Click Here to Email They Call Me W.I.C.K.E.D.

hahahaha

Brother Ali sucks anyways so there's no need to talk about him.....

Partial IP: .181.133.1

vault diggin

Total Posts: 973
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 12:52:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for vault diggin
i admit hes a wierd lookin mother fucker. his shit is pretty wack too.

Partial IP: 111.242.18

Most Incredible Poster

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 12:54:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Most Incredible Poster
I wholeheartedly agree, Wicked. However, I feel there is a need to talk about him, courtesy of his affiliation to that awful Minnesota rapping association that has severely distorted the meaning of underground hip-hop. Here we have a site called UndergroundHipHop.com where a man like Cormega rarely gets love outside of a few regulars, and Atmosphere has moved the most units out of Quest's online synagogue.

They Call Me W.I.C.K.E.D.

Total Posts: 678
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 12:58:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for They Call Me W.I.C.K.E.D.   Click Here to Email They Call Me W.I.C.K.E.D.

Here we have a site called UndergroundHipHop.com where a man like Cormega rarely gets love outside of a few regulars, and Atmosqueer has moved the most units out of Quest's online synagogue.

^^^I know man, and how fuckin WACK is that?!! *shaking head*

I swear, all these nerdy whiteboys all over UGHH only seem to support other nerdy shit....

Partial IP: .181.133.1

triznathaniel

Total Posts: 5996
Location: My love for food became such a problem that i would have to take 2 bags of food with me to eat
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 1:02:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for triznathaniel
haha n*ggas is on bash missions today

holla

Partial IP: 34.243.203

Most Incredible Poster

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 1:06:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Most Incredible Poster
ya tu sabe, my nigga. I'm on a crusade.

So word, I recall hearing of a Brother Ali rhyme or interview where he talks about being a real man, and loving his significant other and shit - so tell me why he tries to get with female interviewers when the interview is over and off-the-record?

The Ghost of Ted Stryker

Total Posts: 6166
Location: My whole soul is poluted and sick and very dangerous to the welfare of the art, culture and movement
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 1:17:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for The Ghost of Ted Stryker
you know what else he does? he cries to total strangers about how his Daddy never gave him enough attention. poor guy just has some serious issues. I can't say he's not a solid performer but he and the Rhymesayers camp trying to pass him off as a black albino so they can gain credibility or something..thats just shameful.
also for the bitches on here who said these cats ain't soft cuz they are from some "tough" area of Minnesota...bullshit, these cats were shook when they came here.

Partial IP: 162.95.112

Most Incredible Poster

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 1:24:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Most Incredible Poster
Are you surprised by that, Stryker? Doesn't Slug also say with pride that he's 1/8th black, courtesy of his grandfather, from his mother's side, twice removed, or some shit?

The Ghost of Ted Stryker

Location: My whole soul is poluted and sick and very dangerous to the welfare of the art, culture and movement
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 1:32:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for The Ghost of Ted Stryker
he does say something like that...jesus christ. as a younger angrier man, before I knew about the reality of karma, I would've robbed these cats on GP.
these are culture stealers. There are plenty of white folks involved in hip hop who are not, but these cats are.

Taylor_Made

Total Posts: 656
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 1:51:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Taylor_Made
Most Incredible Poster, you seem to know a lot about these cats? Suspect fan in hiding? Sayin "n*gga" to prove somethin...

Partial IP: 98.229.106

Most Incredible Poster

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 1:54:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Most Incredible Poster
shut up, stupid.

Most Incredible Poster

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 2:46:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Most Incredible Poster
Why don't you try reading the post and thinking logically?

Absurd Perversion

Total Posts: 2421
Location: hey there's a black guy in the band, they probably play rock-n-roll or at least blues..
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 2:52:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Absurd Perversion   Click Here to Email Absurd Perversion
He sounded "real black" onstage, at least from the back of the club where the bar was.. duke can perform a dope set though...

Partial IP: 85.196.236

The Ghost of Ted Stryker

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:19:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for The Ghost of Ted Stryker
Tony, I agree that dude is talented. and he apparently has an identity issue, and alot of people pretend (especially in rap) to be something they are not, its just in this case he got called out for doing it.

Most Incredible Poster

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:26:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Most Incredible Poster
Tony, I feel where you're comin from on breaking down race into fractions and what not - but keep it real.. if your mom is black, and your pops is black.. then fuck it.. you're black.

My bloodlines go back to Puerto Rico for as long as my family can recall.. The culture I was raised within has me as a Puerto Rican, as does my family's history.

Culture can influence how you identify yourself, despite race - but don't be full of shit. And that's what Brother Ali is. It's an issue of integrity as much as it is of race.

The Ghost of Ted Stryker

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:28:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for The Ghost of Ted Stryker
I had a very unique upbringing (culturally), but I could never falsify my identity, thats just wrong.

reefisdatruf420

Total Posts: 452
Location: "Check at your girl's house he was last seen there"
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:30:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for reefisdatruf420
brother ali is a black albino, that makes him white? I dont understand, so if im tan and white does that make me black?

Partial IP: 6.158.35.2

Most Incredible Poster

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:33:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Most Incredible Poster
Black albino:

Brother Ali:

Black Albinos:

BROTHER ALI:

C'mon son...

bartleby

Total Posts: 432
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:34:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bartleby   Click Here to Email bartleby
I don't usually say much here, but the level of stupidity in this post really warranted it...

do you complete morons even understand why or how something is an albino? It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity. There are albino crocodiles. Are they caucasian too?

""Albino" is the name originally given by Portuguese explorers to
"white" Negroes they saw in West Africa. Since then it also has come to
mean an individual, of any species of living thing, which lacks the
pigments that other members of its race normally have. Albinos occur
among all races of men, almost all species of domestic animals, and a
wide variety of wild species. We also see, sometimes, the opposite: an
intense pigmentation called "melanism", such as in black squirrels,
black pheasants and other species with black or nearly black plumage,
pelt or skin."

Also, considering not one person in this post even knows Brother Ali, I'd say it would be pretty difficult to know where his Grandmother and Grandfather came from...

And as for this little ditty:

"ya tu sabe, my n*gga. I'm on a crusade."

You go girl. Keep that crusade on the internet at ughh.com. Your moms would be proud.

Partial IP: 9.97.98.39

Most Incredible Poster

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:37:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Most Incredible Poster
Great post, bartleby. stick to not posting, you fool.

bartleby

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:41:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bartleby   Click Here to Email bartleby
right...
or address what was said...

Most Incredible Poster

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:46:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Most Incredible Poster
What'd you say? Nothing important. No shit, anyone, of any race can be albino. You didn't drop Science 101 on me, fam.

The point is, Brother Ali is a white man with the pigment problem that makes him albino - and he uses being albino as a way to pull wool over the listeners' eyes and tells them that he's a 'righteous black man.'

Regardless of how good his written words may be, or how talented you might find him to be as a rapper - him denying his race is disgusting, and unacceptable.

How much does that need to be reiterated until his fans stop trying to defend his complete lack of class?

The Ghost of Ted Stryker

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:46:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for The Ghost of Ted Stryker
aim: finewithoutbones

who the fuck brags about being a broke vagabond? get out of our fine country you hippie piece of shit.

bartleby

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:52:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bartleby   Click Here to Email bartleby
woah, hold on lemme take the HS graduating class of '06 one at a time...

Most Incredible Poster:
"The point is, Brother Ali is a white man with the pigment problem that makes him albino"

Now, either you're his brother, he told you this during especially emotional pillow-talk or you're making it up. Regardless, you lose. And believe me, no one is "dropping science 101". It was a google search that took about 5 seconds.

The Ghost of Ted Stryker:

"who the fuck brags about being a broke vagabond? get out of our fine country you hippie piece of shit."

First, honestly, I'm really worried that you've gotten that serious to start looking me up in the member directories. Second, not that it matters, but it's a joke me and a couple of friends have who are also members here. Unlike you, I don't really take this whole ughh experience too seriously. But don't let that get you down.

bartleby

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 3:53:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bartleby   Click Here to Email bartleby
Anyways, thanks for the entertainment, I gotta get back to work...

I'll put on the Champion EP now, thanks for reminding me...

be ease

The Ghost of Ted Stryker

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 4:10:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for The Ghost of Ted Stryker
good riddens you priveledged hippie trash.

l.a.zee

Total Posts: 145
Location: ridin in the back of the bus through occupied mexico
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 5:12:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for l.a.zee
I have a couple of Brother Ali albums and have seen him live and never heard him say he is a righteous black man.I have heard slug say that he is part black.With that said,does it really matter what color they are or claim they are?Isn't the music what matters most?I think so, and rhymesayers has one of the strongest rosters in hip-hop and even though they aren't the richest they have shitloads of cash from being independent and touring non-stop.The felt projects, atmosphere albums,p.o.s. and brother ali are gonna come up.Eyedea and mf doom are movin units.Soul position and micranots are two very dope groups.They are still getting better too,so stop hating.

Partial IP: 18.164.227

tommy_wreck

Total Posts: 219
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 5:53:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tommy_wreck   Click Here to Email tommy_wreck
Suspect.

Look at dudes facial features, his nose, his lips, his jaw line...He is NOT black.

He's as white as the other nerd rappers in rhymesayers.

ez

Partial IP: 71.224.117

shakey83

Total Posts: 162
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 5:56:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for shakey83   Click Here to Email shakey83
"Being an albino has never really hurt me," he said via cell phone from Philly, the current stop on tour. "It's the same as being an albino in life. It's something I have that gives me a distinctive look. People are always confused about what I am racially. And I let them think whatever it is they think. There are social connotations that go along with your racial background, and in that sense, it matters. The reality is that white people are more comfortable relating to white artists."

That, however, isn't necessarily the same case when dealing with a black audience, he says laughing.

Partial IP: .109.225.8

udosean

Total Posts: 83
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 7:12:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for udosean   Click Here to Email udosean
Most of you are wrong about Brother Ali. As far as I know he is black and albino. When you really think about it saying that he does not have any "black features" is racist. By that your saying that all black paople look alike and have big lips and noses and what ever stereotypical features. Also, I think that Brother Ali is dope as hell. A lot of you cats are talking all this shit without even listening to his music. You guys need to pick up "Shadows of the Sun" and listen to that shit start to fininsh.

Partial IP: 65.127.252

crunch berries

Total Posts: 317
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 7:56:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for crunch berries   Click Here to Email crunch berries
I'm chokin players like I'm Bob Knight,
choke the coaches like I'm Spreewell
They bowin to the 'Sayers till they knees swell
I shake the game up worse than Single White Females
Walkin to they car alone flashin three bills
These little kids are talkin 'bout how little I know
Boy, I grab a mic and rock you like your Triple 5 Soul
With a civilized flow, but if you say my name I'm like Beetlejuice
Dice you up and slap you till your teeth are loose
I've seen the noose and will not get lynched by the industry
Nor will I have an A and R pimpin' me stickin his thing in me
I'll sing for free for some years if it's clear to me
That if I'm there for my team they're there for me
For real, I'll be diligently killin the soliloquies
Of these millipedes that try to pass themselves off as ill MC's
I weave a web of words so intricately
That the English dictionary lacks an adjective to fit me
If he want my album tell him not to fuck with ATAK
He was hatin and Slug told the bitch to send my tapes back
And if I lose my voice then instead of sayin raps
I start paintin facts on the wall with hot crayola crayon wax

^^^^once again, speaks for itself

Partial IP: 67.246.248

Osmosis Jenkins

Total Posts: 162
Location: i got about 7 kids at home breastfeeding on a 5 nipple titty
posted Monday, February 06, 2006 9:24:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Osmosis Jenkins
^^^whoa!!wtf??!?! who rapped that wack ass verse??!?!?!....seriously..that verse is wack as fuck!!!oh shit i swear the littlest shit in life makes me laugh sometimes....

Partial IP: 43.138.201

crunch berries

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 9:27:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for crunch berries   Click Here to Email crunch berries
bullshit

crunch berries

posted Monday, February 06, 2006 9:36:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for crunch berries   Click Here to Email crunch berries
you are joking right?

Richie Quick

Total Posts: 3885
posted Tuesday, February 07, 2006 9:53:31 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Richie Quick   Click Here to Email Richie Quick
Brother Ali pulled some of the fakest shit ever...

why couldnt he just be the first albino rapper----

he gotta be the first reigous-black-man in a white-mans body....

played himself dogg...
played himself

Partial IP: 156.160.65

LongDarkBlues

Total Posts: 1
posted Friday, March 09, 2007 4:25:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for LongDarkBlues
another black albino, the dude from Storyville

But, whatever, Ali's a great MC, I don't care what race the man is.

Partial IP: 207.81.106

Whitey

Total Posts: 2
posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:19:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Whitey
hey wicked FUCK YOU really if they love what they do and so do others than shut the fuck up you ignorant fag. where is it said or written that you have to be black to rap. atmosphere and brother ali rival and even beat some black rappers. these rappers spit the true shit not like some of these fucking other people. and atmosphere and brother ali got to where they are by being good not by sympathy so shut the fuck up

Partial IP: 33.193.223

Whitey

Total Posts: 2
posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:22:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Whitey
hey wicked FUCK YOU really if they love what they do and so do others than shut the fuck up you ignorant fag. where is it said or written that you have to be black to rap non the less be as good as them. atmosphere and brother ali rival and even beat some black rappers. these rappers spit the true shit not like some of these fucking other people. and atmosphere and brother ali got to where they are by being good not by sympathy so shut the fuck up

Partial IP: 33.193.223

KRUNK_SYPHILIS

Total Posts: 502
posted Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:27:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for KRUNK_SYPHILIS
SO WHAT'S THE DEAL, IS HE A NEGROE OR NOT? FUCK MAN NOBODY KNOWS DO THEY

Partial IP: .81.172.43

punkrap

Total Posts: 1
posted Friday, November 20, 2009 2:20:35 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for punkrap
Brother Ali is a twenty-nine-year-old rapper who moved to Minneapolis from Michigan when he was fifteen and attended Cooper High. He is an “underground rapper” and an albino and a Muslim, and you're more likely to hear about him and find his music on The Current than KDWB. His fourth album, The Undisputed Truth, comes out this month on Rhymesayers, the local record label that has issued hometown hip-hop icon Slug, from Atmosphere. On Truth, Ali exhibits the same thick angry baritone that rumbled through his first releases, using it to explore issues of personal identity—the twin pillars of color and creed—his divorce, custody of his young son, his old neighborhood, and even politics.

Are you more annoyed with the albino question or the Muslim question?
Yes. Well, there are all-right questions that could be asked about them. I think writers are a lot like rappers, in the sense that you have a few who are really trying to do something new, who really put a lot of thought into what they do. And the other 98 percent are completely worthless.

Are you African American?
No.

What ethnicity are your parents?
I would say that I’m kind of reluctant to be pinned down. This is a broad generalization—but a lot of people don’t see the difference between ethnicity and race. The white category and the black category were created pretty much by the Western world, pretty much by America. America is when all European people were united under the moniker of “white.”

You sound happier on this record.
There’s one happy song on there, and it’s the last one. With this album, I was trying to make songs that address those moments where your life changes. The moment when you realize that this marriage is done. That I’m gonna have to break up my family. And it’s just me doing it. When I had my son, we moved from North Minneapolis and I was trying to get as far away from the ’hood as I could. So I took all of my tour money from two or three tours and took my car and moved to Edina. I wanted to see bunnies, I didn’t want to see rats. I wanted the nicest, quietest shit that I could possibly have. So after the divorce, I got custody, and me and my son went right back out to starting out again. Being on the number 5 bus again. Going from place to place. I didn’t have furniture. I left everything with her.

On the record, you talk about partying and say “motherf ––––r. ” It’s hard to party without beer or bacon. How Muslim do you consider yourself?
You know, I follow the rules of Islam. I don’t drink. I haven’t drunk since I became Muslim. And I don’t run around with girls after my show. I’m a Muslim because I believe in it, not because I’m trying to force myself to be one.

Does that mean that there are parts of your real self that can’t conform to the religion?
I guess the main thing is the way that I talk. There are other things about me that I know aren’t quite right; I’m struggling with them.

Like what?
The people who loved me and took care of me early on were people of color. But my parents are white, man. And having that connection to them, but not being close to them, and seeing their arrogance with other people, and their racism, no matter how latent. So I spent some time being really angry at all white people.

You drop references to PC historian Howard Zinn and your hero is Malcolm X. Are you one of those “conscientious” rappers?
Not intentionally. I do look at the mainstream industry and I want no part of it. All of that posturing and lying about your story and having to have fake conflicts with other artists. I mean, they f–––––g shoot each other! It feels like it’s going back to the sixties, where those guys had to whiten up, like Wilson Pickett and Sam Cooke. Now, they have to dumb down. Before it was “They’re black, but they’re clean cut and they speak well.” And now it’s “Look at these monsters! Ah, shit, they’re crazy!”

5 THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT BROTHER ALI

1. He’s legally blind.

2. When he converted to Islam, he legally changed his name to Ali Newman.

3. The first book he bought was Stop the Violence, by KRS-One and Nelson George.

4. He “guest” fronts a jazz/soul side project, Ursis Minor.

5. He attends Masjid An-Nur, the same mosque as Keith Ellison.

Partial IP: 65.182.135

All times are ET. The time now is 11:28 PM.Post viewed 11576 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: