Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (47) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
R.i.p. Chuck Berry

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 11 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  R.i.p. Chuck Berry
amun1ra1ptah

Total Posts: 3176
posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 5:56:35 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for amun1ra1ptah
im a big fan of chuck berry my dad turned me on to him when I was a kid
I own the chess box 3 cds

Partial IP: 4.74.92.35

Darth JT

Total Posts: 2345
posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:10:15 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Darth JT

Partial IP: 87.142.147

Darth JT

posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:19:41 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Darth JT

Partial IP: 87.142.147

Dr.Prof

Total Posts: 4703
posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:19:43 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Dr.Prof   Click Here to Email Dr.Prof

RIP. This song sounds like no other song I know

Partial IP: .181.46.62

Darth JT

posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:25:16 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Darth JT
^dope

i need more Chuck Berry

Partial IP: 97.92.4.58

Sp 90s

Total Posts: 2146
posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 7:43:41 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Sp 90s
I listen to Chuck Berry songs pretty much daily. He was in his 90s when he died so not much to feel sorry about. I'm sure there will be a massive tribute to him in the next few days, I won't want to miss.

Partial IP: 4.71.2.212

fool blast

Total Posts: 1686
posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 8:15:44 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for fool blast

'the white man had the schmaltz
the black man had the blues
no one knew what they was gonna do
but Tchaikovsky had the news'

http://www.wonderingsound.com/chuck-berrys-reviews-classic-punk-singles-resurface/

Partial IP: 181.147.69

Total Posts: 14892
posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 12:50:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
Maybelline

Partial IP: .3.177.176

Seme__one

Total Posts: 865
Location: an age where we know so much yet have learnt so little
posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 1:42:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
WITHOUT CHUCK BERRY “HIP HOP WOULDN’T BE AS COOL AS IT IS”
Prayers up.
As John Lennon once said, “If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it ‘Chuck Berry.’”

Born Charles Edward Anderson in St. Louis on Oct. 18, 1926, Chuck Berry was an American guitarist, singer and musical pioneer who would go on to define rock and roll’s brash confidence and fearless showmanship during the genre’s formative years. His first single, “Maybellene” (an adaptation of Bob Willis’s “Ida Red”) arrived in July 1955 and quickly rose to the fop of the Billboard R&B chart, and hit No. 5 on the Pop chart as well. The song is widely recognized as one of the first rock and roll singles ever recorded.

Other hits followed, including ”Roll Over Beethoven” in 1956 (later covered by the Beatles) and “Johnny B. Goode” in 1958, the latter had such a profound cultural impact that it’s considered one of the most recognizable songs in music history and was included—along with other sounds and images of Earth—on the Voyager Golden Record and shot into space aboard the Voyager I in 1977. The Voyager I is at the edge of the solar system today, with “Johnny B. Goode” presumably still on deck and ready to shock the shit out of any extra terrestrials that may stumble upon it, just like Marty McFly did when he brought the song to the Hill Valley High School prom, circa 1955, in the 1985 blockbuster Back to the Future.

Of Berry’s life and career, the author, filmmaker and critic, Nelson George wrote:

Chuck Berry listened to and played blues. He was very familiar with country & western. He was disciple of Louis Jordan and his jump blues band, particularly influenced by Jordan’s witty lyrics and his guitarist Carl Hogan. After he had a hit with “Maybellene” Berry realized white kids were buying his records, so he began writing lyrics about teenage concerns about school, dating, fast cars and rebellion. Out of these elements Berry created both the sonic and lyrical backbone of rock & roll. Other people played important roles of course. Elvis, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis and Ike Turner all can lay some claim to “creating” rock & roll. But I think Berry is the essential artist in that the aesthetics of that musical movement were refined by this Midwestern showman. Not the nicest guy ever (I, like many, had a brief brusque encounter with him back in the day) but he is a towering figure in world musical history. If you want a chuckle find his self penned autobiography from a couple of decades back. He was an iconoclast who wouldn’t abide a ghost writer. The Taylor Hackford doc on Berry is an essential text. Berry was famous for traveling without a band, playing with local musicians and getting all his fee before he hit the stage. Why no band? He’d say every musician in the world already knew his songs. And Chuck was, of course, absolutely right.

Berry’s biggest commercial hit came in 1972, with the novelty song, “My Ding-a-Ling,” which hit the top of the Billboard charts. The song was later remixed by the Leaders of the New School in 1991. Mos Def also covered several Chuck Berry songs for the Cadillac Records soundtrack, including “Maybellene.”

Berry was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, and Run-D.M.C.’s Darryl McDaniels was part of the induction ceremony. Asked about Berry’s influence in the days ahead of the Hall of Fame event, McDaniels told the New York Daily News in 2012 interview, “If there was no Chuck Berry, hip-hop wouldn’t be as cool as it is.”

Chuck Berry died yesterday in St. Charles County, Missouri. He was 90 years old. His music will live forever.

Partial IP: 47.217.221

amun1ra1ptah

Total Posts: 3176
posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:56:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for amun1ra1ptah

Partial IP: 4.74.92.35

dr.prof

Total Posts: 4703
posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 9:28:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dr.prof   Click Here to Email dr.prof
"Berry’s biggest commercial hit came in 1972, with the novelty song, “My Ding-a-Ling,”

😂;😂;

Partial IP: 87.124.114

bUcKtHaDeViL

Total Posts: 950
posted Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:12:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
90 is stoopid old. He prolly forgot more shit than most musicians know. RIP.

Partial IP: 21.163.206

All times are ET. The time now is 11:36 PM.Post viewed 514 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: