Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (28) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
The Roots::q&a

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 9 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  The Roots::q&a
Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 1631
posted Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:27:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
I have every album from them except:

2010 - Wake Up! with John Legend
2011 - Betty Wright: The Movie
2013 - Wise Up Ghost with Elvis Costello

Are these even good? Let a playa know...also post your favorite Roots tracks itt. Peace fellas.

Partial IP: .150.17.64

Total Posts: 15513
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:11:07 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
the album, how i got over, is really good, if you use the tracklist the roots originally claimed it to be, before (i have no evidence and can only presume this reason) the label made them add some extra tracks, because it was too short. the title track is really great. it's catchy and black says some dope shit on it:

walk alone
dear god
radio daze
now or never
how i got over
the day
right on
doin' it again
the fire

what a great album. two features from both blu and phonte on it. why can't they get blu and phonte on their other albums? it's such a perfect match up.

Partial IP: 123.195.66

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:18:43 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88

^^^black thought goes the fuck off on this track. here's a cool video where mos def's reciting it:

the roots had their early albums, had the experimental phrenology/tipping point period, and then had their more "mature" concept album period that they're currently in, starting with game theory. i think they really hit their sweet spot on rising down and how i got over. those, to me, are their best post-tipping point albums.

i really like their somber tracks, like dear god, clock with no hands, atonement, unwritten. that beat for atonement is so damn good.

Nassau William Senior

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:27:03 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
Have you heard the 3 albums that I listed?

Partial IP: 97.213.158

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:36:48 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
lol, just realized what your OP said. i accidentally read it as "i hate very album from them except". lol, doy. i'm still waking up, i guess.

i heard wake up, and am aware of the other two, but never got around to checking them out. wake up is highly recommended. there are some incredible songs on there. the roots appropriately consider it a companion piece to how i got over.

their live performance of bill withers' i can't write left handed from the wake up album is fucking epic. the guitartist goes in:

^^^must watch

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:39:14 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
lol, fack. i really fucked this thread up by completely misreading the OP. sorry. my bad. i'm going to go splash some water on my face now and actually wake up.

Nassau William Senior

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:57:14 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
LOL...I will probably cop the reissue of Wake Up on vinyl. Looks sick and limited to 1500 copies.

Partial IP: 97.213.158

breathcontrol

Total Posts: 3103
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:19:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for breathcontrol
I think the Wake Up album is dope as is the remix album J Period did.

Commissioned by Sony Records in tandem with John Legend & The Roots’ Grammy-winning WAKE UP! album, J.PERIOD presents WAKE UP! RADIO, a star-studded remix project that imagines a world where mainstream radio transmits music with a message. Employing an all-star cast including Common, Jimmy Fallon, Q-Tip, and John Legend & The Roots themselves, J.PERIOD reinterprets and reimagines the original WAKE UP! recording sessions to create a powerful and progressive collection of soul remixes. Features a history-making collaboration between John Legend, Black Thought and Rakim on "In the Ghetto (Wake Up!)" (Produced by J.PERIOD), and the reuniting of hip hop legends Pete Rock & CL Smooth for “Our Generation (J.PERIOD Remix)”.

Partial IP: 208.238.22

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:54:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
all of j.period's best-of mixtapes are essential. best of the roots, best of nas, best of lauryn hill, best of q-tip. must have material. he doesn't just throw classic tracks together, like any other mixtape. j.period actually gets the artist involved, and gets other artists involved too. they do tribute tracks, and all sorts of shit.

SC1989

Total Posts: 1214
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:30:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
^^^
So does Wicky
That Wake up Track was cheesy shite

Partial IP: 197.121.35

All times are ET. The time now is 11:26 AM.Post viewed 427 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: