Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (28) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Do You Ever Deny Listening To Hip Hop?

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 33 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Do You Ever Deny Listening To Hip Hop?
9timesoutof10

Total Posts: 70
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 9timesoutof10
For any reason, either you think someone would think you are too old with the perception hip hop is for the youth.

Or maybe if you did say you were into they would assume it was commercial hip hop and wouldn't have heard of anyone you listen to anyway, so what would be the point in getting into a conversation about it with them?

Partial IP: 76.105.170

9timesoutof10

Total Posts: 70
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:08:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 9timesoutof10
Personally I'm the second one mainly, what's the point in getting into a conversation when it will immediately end when I mention JMT, Ill Bill or Czarface?

When I was younger I wanted people to listen to what I loved, as I've got older I can't even be bothered talking to them about it.

Partial IP: 76.105.170

KUSH12

Total Posts: 3241
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:11:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for KUSH12
this is how i respond.

me: yes i do but im on a another level.

person: ooooOOOh so who do you listen to?

me: have you heard of the G.O.A.T Roc Marciano?

person: no.

me: i didn't think so..

conversation usually ends there..

Partial IP: 3.36.135.6

Total Posts: 15513
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:15:02 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i agree with that second comment there. i hate when people ask what i listen to, because they never know 90% of the shit i mention. i always just say i listen to a bit of everything, because committing to one genre would honestly be a lie, if i told it, and listing off genres or artists is annoying, so "everything" is easiest.

if i ever deny listening to hip hop, it's not because of an age thing. it's like if someone said they listen to punk. you suddenly have a tonne of preconceived notions about them. but the average person doesn't know much about "real hip hop" or "real punk", so their preconceived notions are really inaccurate. so i just avoid it, because i know if i say i listen to hip hop, i'd basically be misleading them about who i am. if i ever do outright say i listen to hip hop, i always say "alternative hip hop", because it's kind of a way of saying, "it's not what you think", lol.

i usually just say i listen to everything, though. it's an oversimplified answer to an oversimplified question.

Partial IP: 123.195.66

GPT godfather

Total Posts: 76
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:17:24 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for GPT godfather
No definitely not. I'm very straight up with anyone that asks what I've been listening to. It's not like any of it is a big deal.

People can perceive whatever they want, if they think hip hop is for youth they are clearly out of touch with what is going on and their opinion is irrelevant.

That all said though I never really try to turn anyone onto music out of their zones. I will toss names out and/or play them something but they can take it or leave it. It doesn't matter.

Partial IP: 6.52.212.4

Seme__one

Total Posts: 978
Location: RIP Sonny Landham...he wouldn't risk that on a broke dick dog....
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:33:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
no never felt anything I would be ashamed of and most people who know me know I am down

funny fact though Rakim up until very recently used to be ashamed of telling people he was an MC', he felt they wouldn't take him seriously as a musician

mad that the god would feel that way.....I could imagine a professional snobbery in certain musical circles and professions that probably persists today

crazy tho' as the R' is so talented

Partial IP: 144.15.131

SC1989

Total Posts: 1214
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:42:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
Yes with some people mainly my age because they cunty as shit and stupid.
Me I like Hip Hop
Them Oh you heard whoever
Me No
Them Check this
Play song
Me This fucking sucks Check this
Them Yeah it alright it so so but check this
And so forth for while
It is not the perception of Hip Hop is youth music It is the perception of the culture to outsiders
Honey G is a prime example.
Someone asked me if I liked the bitch I nearly cried with how ignorant people can be towards this wonderful culture and how people mock it.
Also most so called Hip Hop fans are dicks I rather say Naw I fuck with Black Sabbath and Oasis and keep it moving

Partial IP: 197.121.35

tippi dink

Total Posts: 3452
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:01:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
"People can perceive whatever they want, if they think hip hop is for youth they are clearly out of touch with what is going on and their opinion is irrelevant. "

^ this

usually if someone asks when i listen to i keep it vague and say hip hop, metal, rock, jazz, electronic music, etc and leave it at that, or i name a couple well known artists from each genre. honestly i feel like anyone who would seriously judge a person because of their own misconceptions or preconcieved notions of a genre of music clearly isn't someone whose opinion i should really give a shit about anyway. why should i should ever feel guilty or apologize for liking something just because of someone else's ignorance/close-mindedness?

if i get into a conversation specifically about hip hop with someone i don't know i do try and test the waters a little bit though, like i might mention a bunch of popular artists (kendrick, lupe, chance, tribe, nas, etc) and then also throw in a couple lesser known ones like aesop, oddisee, and DOOM in there and see if they take the bait.

Partial IP: 10.183.174

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:11:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
honestly i feel like anyone who would seriously judge a person because of their own misconceptions or preconcieved notions of a genre of music clearly isn't someone whose opinion i should really give a shit about anyway. why should i should ever feel guilty or apologize for liking something just because of someone else's ignorance/close-mindedness?

i don't think it's even a conscious thing, though. it just happens, subconsciously. it's unfortunate, but i don't think it's untrue, and i don't think it's something that should just be proudly ignored. caring too much about what other people think of you is unhealthy, but i think actively not caring at all about what others think either makes you self-deceptively arrogant or just a flat out asshole.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:46:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i get what you're saying 88, but realistically what can someone tell about a person though based solely on the fact that they enjoy genre of music though, other than the fact that they like a genre of music? yeah of course you have an opinion or an initial impression that you form subconsciously which is natural, but i think the degree to which someone allows that information change their perception of someone else overall is up to them.

i didn't say no one should ever care what anyone thinks of them no matter what, but i don't see why i should care if someone disapproves of my interests or the things i'm passionate about because i know there's nothing wrong with them. it's not like i'm out here unapologetically diddling kids, beating women, or abusing animals or something while telling people who disapprove to "deal with it" and that they should mind their own business.

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:53:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i know, tippi. i didn't mean you, specifically. just wanted to point out the opposite effect. level the playing ground, so to speak.

i think people giving off the impression of not caring what others think is a really poisonous tac tic to try and seem impervious to whatever antagonisms they're encountering. it's used a lot in our generation, and it's bad. it numbs the present, and disillusions chances of sincerity. actually, it's used a lot on this board even, especially on the general board. it's unfortunate.

the character, jessa, on the show, girls - which is a fucking fantastic show that just had its series finale this past weekend - is a great example of what i'm talking about, and what happens to her in the series is a good example of the consequences of this behaviour.

Phatbeets

Total Posts: 11091
Location: I just need enough money to get a place and grow weed
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:56:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Phatbeets
I never ask what people listen to but when they do and I answer and then I ask back out of courtesy and they talbout "a bit of everything" I cringe and tell em "all right cya"

Partial IP: 212.95.211

8 diagrams

Total Posts: 1446
Location: "Please mommy, let me rap, i promise to buy you a new house when i blow" - eseph
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:58:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 8 diagrams
I guess cacs have to deny listening to black music around their family and friends when with blacks people already know we listen to rap.

The paradox we live in

Partial IP: .58.35.232

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 1631
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:01:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
This thread reminds me of a great movie scene...

-Bill Mazeroski, I hate him. He made Mickey Mantle cry. The papers said the Mick cried.

Mickey Mantle? That's what you're upset about? Mantle makes $100,000 a year. How much does your father make?

-I don't know.

You don't know. If your dad needs money, go ask Mickey Mantle. See what happens.
Mickey Mantle don't care about you. Why care about him? Nobody cares.

Partial IP: 97.213.158

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:03:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
yeah, great scene, nws. haven't watched bronx tale in a while. it's about time i revisit it.

Nassau William Senior

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:09:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
The line "nobody cares" is so true.

Might have to pull out the DVD myself.

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:11:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
just bought the bluray from amazon.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:18:57 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
okay, so would you say that black people in general feel that they have to deny the fact that they listen to "white" music around their family & black friends? or that there's a good reason they should? i think it's kinda messed up to assume that all black people listen to rap anyway.

Bluestratoss

Total Posts: 467
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:49:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Bluestratoss
From the this day onwards, if asked, I'll be like "Ye I do. I listen to stuff like admiral model crumple"

Partial IP: .44.11.247

tippi dink

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:52:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i bet that's what crumple does, and then he immediately hands the person one of his cds.

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:56:02 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
^^^lol irl

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 36597
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:57:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Nah, Id never deny listening to hip hop. As tippi said, ill name a couple more mainstream, surface wrappers i dig to see if they know them or not. Then peel back another layer and name some lesser known heads like Atmosphere, DOOM, etc. to see if the conversation is worth continuing or not regarding hip hop.

No offense 88 but when heads say 'everything' it's a cop out, pet peeve of mine unless the point of saying 'everything' is to end that part of the conversation.

Partial IP: 242.189.89

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:03:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
it usually is with the intention of ending the convo for me. those convos are terrible. asking what someone listens to is such an overly broad question, and i hate when people just ask me that like it's something i can actually give a worthwhile answer to. it's such lazy small talk nonsense, so i just give them a lazy "everything" answer.

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:05:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
so i guess what i'm saying is that people asking, "so what kind of music do you listen to?", rather than putting in effort to frame the question in a way that can actually spark a real conversation, is a pet peeve to me.

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:05:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Yea i get it from that standpoint then. Funny if someone says that to me ill keep digging (and most likely annoying them) by asking for specifics like the last album they listened to and try to play off of that lulz.

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:09:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
by asking for specifics like the last album they listened to and try to play off of that

yeah, if someone asked me something like that, that'd be awesome. that's something you could actually talk about. whenever i want to know what people listen to, instead of the shitty, "what kind of music do you listen to", question, i usually ask them what/who they've been listening to lately.

btw, clock, it's been a while since you and gino had a phone convo. i mean, two of the biggest albums of the year just came out. lots to talk about, wouldn't you say?

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:12:15 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
I think we're aiming for another phone convo/podcast in the next week or so. It's been at least two months which is the perfect amount of time and distance between recordings.

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:12:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
dope.

Nassau William Senior

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:13:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
I just talked to gino over email...miss dat dood

dr.prof

Total Posts: 5281
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:25:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dr.prof   Click Here to Email dr.prof
No never. But when i talk music with older dudes im quicker to talk about music they like and not even mention hip hop.
I dont tell people how MUCH hip hop i listen to anymore unless theyre also a music nerd.

Partial IP: .184.15.99

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:36:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
now that i think about it, i never just say everything. it usually goes more like, "i don't know, i kind of listen to everything... i've been listening to a lot of (insert artist name) lately". so i say everything, but then typically get specific. i never say genre, though.

wIcKeD 22.2

Total Posts: 2165
Location: frrls idk why it's so hard for some to respect others opinions
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:33:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wIcKeD 22.2   Click Here to Email wIcKeD 22.2
I just tell people I listen to rap

Partial IP: .6.229.153

MF KF

Total Posts: 282
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:53:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for MF KF
What kinda fuckboy shit is this

Partial IP: 32.131.128

datn***aREDD

Total Posts: 1642
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:24:08 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for datn***aREDD
Ive never denied listening to hip hop...what usually happens is people ask who do i listen to & i reply people you never heard of...usually the conversation ends there but some ask like who & when i answer they just looked puzzled...or i say i listen to hip hop & they start to mention Gucci Mane or some shit & i tell them i dont listen to that & they look as if i said something blasphemous...so usually i dont discuss music thats why i come here but theres more arguing than music discussion so i just lurk & not post much *shrugs*..

Partial IP: 55.205.214

All times are ET. The time now is 11:26 AM.Post viewed 599 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: