UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (19) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Hip Hop And The Internet

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 17 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Hip Hop And The Internet
9timesoutof10

Total Posts: 77
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:42:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 9timesoutof10
This could be the same for all music but we'll keep it to Hip hop.

The Internet has changed things completely, and it has its pros and cons. It's made it easier for artists to get their music out to as many people as possible, whereas in the 90s no one would've heard of them. Because it's so easy everyone is an artist nowadays which is a bad thing, too much garbage artists out there. The way we listen to the music itself has also changed from downloads to streaming etc. even ordering vinyl over the internet

Overall, everything taken into consideration has the internet been good for hip hop music or was it better as a whole back in the day going into a record store and picking up what vinyl/cassette/CD they had?

Partial IP: 76.105.170

Total Posts: 16725
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:53:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
the internet changed everything.

when people started downloading rather than buying, and record labels started panicking, it had a major impact, particularly on the mainstream. record execs took way less risks. if there was a hot artist, they wanted artists just like them, because they were actually selling. they were afraid of investing in something new/fresh, because new/fresh was a risk, whereas copycating what was selling wasn't a risk. this led to a dilution of variety, which led to a dilution of quality. however, on the plus side, it also led to an uprise in the underground, which rebelled against the lack of variety in the mainstream. see: everything that happened in the undergound in the early '00's, in particular mf doom's active rebellion against traditional hip hop song structure, such as having one long verse and no chorus, instead of the traditional three verses plus choruses.

a very similar thing's happening right now in the film industry. producers don't want to take the risk and fund an original screenplay, when funding an adaptation is a sure bet, because there's already an established fanbase. the failure of big original screenplays like the film, transcendence, is making producers even less likely to take the risk and support an original script. meanwhile, every comic book, or true story, or based-on-a-bestseller movie is making tonnes of money, so that's where producers want to put their money.

Partial IP: 123.195.66

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:56:12 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
another way mf doom actively rebelled against the mainstream: hiding his face behind a mask, as a rejection of the mainstream's obsession with a rapper's image

SC1989

Total Posts: 1704
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:24:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
Youtube and Social Media has ruined the UK Scene
Too many weak wanna be gi joes who there little lambs going bahh bahhh.
Charlie Sloth can fall the fuck off the white cliffs he is one of many who has ruined it.

Partial IP: 197.121.35

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:30:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
the other thing mf doom's actions did at the time was not only to rebel against the mainstream, but also to set himself apart from the increasing amount of emcees in the industry. suddenly, everyone and their mom wanted to be a rapper and was sharing their raps on the internet. so, as the pool of "talent" multiplied exponentially, getting noticed by fans became increasingly hard. when doom put on a mask (originally just a sock on his head) and did all his antics, it set him apart from all the rest. he had the right gimmicks to get the audience's attention, and the talent to back it up.

in short, mf doom's a genius for what he did in the late 90's/early 00's.

Phatbeets

Total Posts: 11708
Location: While everyone was looking up at the sun, i was looking at the birds and cats and insects going cray
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:05:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Phatbeets
a very similar thing's happening right now in the film industry. producers don't want to take the risk and fund an original screenplay, when funding an adaptation is a sure bet, because there's already an established fanbase. the failure of big original screenplays like the film, transcendence, is making producers even less likely to take the risk and support an original script. meanwhile, every comic book, or true story, or based-on-a-bestseller movie is making tonnes of money, so that's where producers want to put their money.

and this is seriously fucking sad. Hollywood is a farce nowadays, a shadow of one's former self and it seriously sux. Hollywood being controlled by business managers doing risk / earnings assessment rather than peeps looking at scenarios is kind of a tragic tragedy. Another reason why I cant stand mainstream and conditioned sheep on a global scale. All the individuality and genius is gone because the brain dead mass is happy with the rehash and some mo rehash.

Partial IP: 212.95.211

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:09:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
well, one of the consequences of what i said above is that all the talented writers are leaving film and going to television, which is why we're in a golden age of television right now. so we're not getting as many original films, which is unfortunate, but we're getting some great fucking tv.

plus, netflix is pushing original content, and makes so much damn money that the risk is relatively low for them.

so there are signs of hope. all is not lost.

22j

Total Posts: 175
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:14:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 22j
I've never flashed

Partial IP: .37.104.98

Phatbeets

Total Posts: 11708
Location: While everyone was looking up at the sun, i was looking at the birds and cats and insects going cray
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:25:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Phatbeets
Thats right and yes shows are the stuff I enjoy watching nowadays. A high caliber Netflix show (running over years) has the budget of a low level Hollywood blockbuster which is a good thing imo.

Partial IP: 212.95.211

8 diagrams

Total Posts: 1446
Location: "Please mommy, let me rap, i promise to buy you a new house when i blow" - eseph
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:45:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 8 diagrams
Its alot better now. We have better rappers better beats and music is free and you can stream it. Fuck paying $15 for a CD when i can use spotify or apple music or pandora .

Partial IP: .58.35.232

Anthony

Total Posts: 288
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:59:50 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony
lol at "mf doom's active rebellion against traditional hip hop song structure, such as having one long verse and no chorus, instead of the traditional three verses plus choruses."

Wu-tang Clan have the greatest hooks ever yo. Very catchy. But yeah, I got sick of the mainstream, and MF Doom was that breath of fresh air I had been waiting for.

lmao at "another way mf doom actively rebelled against the mainstream: hiding his face behind a mask, as a rejection of the mainstream's obsession with a rapper's image"

I know what you mean bro, I hated all those pretty boys on Bad Boy Entertainment like The Lox, Biggie Smalls, and Craig Mack. It wasn't until MF DOOM started wearing costumes that I realized how obsessed HipHop was with "image". He really broke down that barrier, where now it doesn't matter what a rapper might wear or look like.

please retire from the jewel-dropping game.

Partial IP: .187.65.58

posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:01:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
ok.

CAChri$t(IE)

Total Posts: 6846
posted Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:34:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for CAChri$t(IE)
dope jewels 88 but im not sure who youre talking about. do you mean doom or DOOM?

Partial IP: .6.229.153

vinnny blanc

Total Posts: 5903
posted Friday, April 21, 2017 8:55:37 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for vinnny blanc
^why does this dumb cunt try so hard. Btw lol and cosign Anthony

Partial IP: 2.56.28.88

vinnny blanc

Total Posts: 5903
posted Friday, April 21, 2017 8:59:02 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for vinnny blanc
He clearly says mf doom. Another face palm post from this primitive peckerwood

Partial IP: 2.56.28.88

wIcKeD 22.2

Total Posts: 2424
posted Friday, April 21, 2017 9:46:36 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for wIcKeD 22.2   Click Here to Email wIcKeD 22.2
lol vinny blanc you daft as hell, faggot

Partial IP: .6.229.153

8 diagrams

Total Posts: 1446
Location: "Please mommy, let me rap, i promise to buy you a new house when i blow" - eseph
posted Friday, April 21, 2017 1:30:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 8 diagrams
88 just stfu

Partial IP: .58.73.212

posted Friday, April 21, 2017 1:34:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88

All times are ET. The time now is 5:10 AM.Post viewed 550 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: