UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (40) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Attn: No Mask (goodlife Doc)

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 21 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Attn: No Mask (goodlife Doc)
Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 3037
posted Sunday, December 03, 2017 7:46:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
yo this is fucking on netflix now

Partial IP: 224.194.89

no mask

Total Posts: 7943
posted Monday, December 04, 2017 1:26:13 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
what!? about time its available to watch. lol

looking forward to watching this tonight.

so many times i looked for a stream online and found nothing. just saw the trailer i think.

no mask

posted Monday, December 04, 2017 8:25:54 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
saw it at like 4am this morning cause i couldnt wait and it was amazing. it really filled in many blanks that word of mouth stories, limited clips online, old magazine interviews etc. couldnt fill. painted the whole picture. so much great footage, info and interviews from so many of the goodlife cats. truly an important cultural doc. they deserve this great docx10. i'm glad they mentioned dre and icecube biting and being influenced by the goodlife.

this solidified it for me even more. the most creative,skilled, inspired, natural talents in rap ever.

only issue was there was no clarification that Rebels of Rhythm was Darkleaf before the name change. but oh well.

CAChri$t(IE)

Total Posts: 6830
posted Monday, December 04, 2017 9:31:07 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for CAChri$t(IE)
noice.

no mask

posted Monday, December 04, 2017 9:41:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
you needle dicks see this yet!?

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Tuesday, December 05, 2017 6:12:13 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i watched the first 20 mins the other night and was too tired to finish it. im gonna watch it in full the next few days. hopefully this means the dvd will be readily available now.

Partial IP: 43.230.209

tippi dink

Total Posts: 5130
posted Tuesday, December 05, 2017 9:34:52 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
ive been meaning to watch this for a while but never got around to it, if you try and get it through their website it redirects you to some weird video streaming service i've never heard of before lol.

i'll definitely be watching this soon though now that its on netflix

no mask

posted Tuesday, December 05, 2017 9:47:13 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^i had a weird convoluted experience trying to find it too. fake youtube versions, their weird site etc.

this is something that i will watch many times. so relevant culturally and socially but also personally for me- i was highly inspired by many of them (especially Acey, myka 9,volume 10,p.e.a.c.e.,) and i was always mystified and wondered what the scene there looked like, how it went down, how the shows functioned, who was there, what the emcees looked like etc. this connected all the dots. well made!

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:55:41 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
im glad this exists cuz i fucking loved that documentary "freestyle" and it only scratched the surface as far as the goodlife and shit out west. super interesting scene and a ton of real mc's. i do feel like trimming my air pit hair after seeing the first 20 mins and i never wanna eat kale again but u kno wat im sayin lol. like black hippy shit but in a really cool way. cant wait to watch this in full tonight.

Partial IP: 43.230.209

no mask

posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 9:10:55 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
lol, kale 4 life!

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 2120
Location: Hot box, handsome on a hill, watchin' night lights stretch. A Los Angeles journalist like Fletch.
posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 10:21:20 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
I watched it last night, thanks for this Gino.

Footage was ill as fuck.

But some of the stories were so one sided. At least provide the other side of the story when talking about stealing styles (Bone, Ice Cube, etc). They show the FF track Mary from 1993 and then try to say that Bone heard that song and made Tha Crossroads in 1997. But like I've said on here numerous times, Bone made a complete album on some small Ohio label before they even came to the West Coast. This album, Faces of Death, came out in 1993. They were already rapping the same as the Good Life dudes before the Good Life was really poppin.

LOL at No Miggety.

Selah

Total Posts: 50
posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 11:14:42 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Selah
Bone thugs first album didnít have that melodious sing songy style. Iím not saying they bit, but Abstract Rude didnít say they bit the chop which is where I think there flow is somewhat similar to good lifers and which they obviously had before going out west.

They were biased though. Quick to shit on Das EFX and Fat Joe but when they discussed pass the mic they didnít mention any west coasters that got booted or anything.

Still them running Fat Joe up out of there is funny.

no mask

posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 11:36:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^ they may be biased but maybe they really know how it went down.hard to know. they mentioned something about bone and others being influenced by all goodlife related mixtapes the were circulating widely pre '93.

even busta rhymes was inspired by myka 9 in the late 80's so...

the fat joe thing was funny and he deserved it. he came on sounding like an ignorant weak rapper and he got the "pass the mic"chant!

i feel like people are a bit hard on das efx though.

Nassau William Senior

Location: Hot box, handsome on a hill, watchin' night lights stretch. A Los Angeles journalist like Fletch.
posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 11:48:02 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
this sounds pretty sing songy style to me...

Partial IP: 97.213.158

Nassau William Senior

posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 11:53:42 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
they mentioned the mixtapes circulating but it was outside the US.

they specifically say that they weren't even popular in the US, but overseas they had a big following (they compared it to the jazz era which was similar).

but in regards to bone, the documentary never mentioned them with the mixtape theory. they mention Bone as coming to the good life and then borrowing from what they saw. that's clearly true. but the whole "bone stole from PB" is ridiculous. Bone had their style completely developed and an entire album out before they went to the Good Life. They were influenced, but everyone who went there was influenced.

Partial IP: 97.213.158

Selah

Total Posts: 50
posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 12:14:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Selah
They flipped part of A Taste of Honey Sukiyaki. Tons of hip hop artist did that type of thing back then. Doing that was nothing like there style when they made Crossroads. Thatís singing a bridge hook not sing songy melody rapping.

no mask

posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 12:23:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
dosnt even matter to me anymore cause we will never know the exact truth.

Nassau William Senior

posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 1:35:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
^^pretty much

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 5:30:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i like a bias opinion, a strong opinion. lol i saw it up to the part where they shit on das efx. i hated that wiggedy shit as a kid but as an adult i love it now.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 5:33:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
ive never been a bone fan and most of ther fanbase atleast where i grew up in south jersey was the white trash juggalo kids.

im also fairly sure wen corny white people say they cant tell wat rappers are saying ther referring to bone thugs. same with the scary black dude image of the 90s to square white people was identical to the onyx look.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 8:23:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
man that was so good. i need to own this on dvd now badly. glad i waited a few days before i watched the whole thing. it lived up. one of the better rap docs.

Nassau William Senior

posted Wednesday, December 06, 2017 8:55:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
Seriously one of the great hip hop documentaries

Playing some Myka9 vinyl right now...Gramophone.

All times are ET. The time now is 9:36 PM.Post viewed 308 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: