Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (52) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
What's Killah Priests Best Album?

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 49 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  What's Killah Priests Best Album?
eseph84

Total Posts: 7158
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 4:37:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
So last week the question was posed as to what killah priest's fans response is when asked "what is kp's best album"? i always thought heavy mental was a universally hailed classic in the underground hip hop realm, but them dudes big daddy alfredo and nws seem to remember different so i went back to re-listen to make sure i wasn't crazy and aside from maybe 3 mis-steps (and that's being real critical and tough as most know i'm usually not that picky) this album can go right up there at the top of 98's best albums list right underneath the 2 major opuses of that year, gangstarr's "moment of truth" and big pun's "capital punishment" and in a way you could say it was more consistently raw and catered to underground rap fans.

It was August 1st the year was 2000 and i was in toronto (shouts to crumple). I remember this trip vividly as i was an awkward teen on a hunt for a certain album that dropped that day by a guy named big l called the big picture. i had always listened to rap, but in the year or two before that, right around when i started high school, i started getting deeper into underground hip hop which led me to artists like harlems finest Corleone. i was big on wu tang clan ,well starting to be, at least. at least, more so than i thought i was back when i first heard triumph and bought a wu tang poster, t shirt, and the double cd which i barely bumped aside from the singles (young teen adhd?) right at the start of 8th grade. the next summer a couple friends schooled me to their already vast catalog and of course one of the most appealing of which was liquid swords which featured a random last solo song by a guest that would become one of my all time favorite tracks (b.i.b.l.e.). So yeah that was my introduction to Killah Priest and from then on, these 2 dudes (rip ryan & jeff) would play wu tang albums non stop while we would drink, smoke, and chill and it influenced me heavily. I remember flipping thru one of their collections and being in aww at how many cd's they had from not only the core members but the affiliates like killarmy and killah preist. The Heavy Mental album cover caught my eye, I knew Priest was a beast on the mic so it was only a matter of time before I caught up to that album. So here I am up in T-Dot, copped Big L, but I guess I wasn't satisfied so I went to a used cd/record shop and their it was, the Canadian version of Heavy Mental. I bought it.

O.k., so the album jumps off marvelously with the beginning intro which is one of many great interlude skits/ movie excerpts that string along the album and give it that classic wu sound all while fitting perfectly in with the whole "killah priest" concept. So that leads right into the banging true master produced tekitha assisted "One Step" which was the perfect type of track to please those who were fans of his previous work like bible imo. Right off the rip he gets right into it with deep lyrics with religious references and social commentary about things that were going on in the world back then and are eerily still relevant to this day.

to be continued...

Partial IP: 224.194.89

felipedahiphopadict01

Total Posts: 752
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 4:46:50 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for felipedahiphopadict01
elizabeth
the offering
and heavy mental

Total Posts: 18540
Location: What does god have to do with the pronunciation of a word?
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 4:51:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i've never been sold on priest, tbh. but i also haven't put in much effort.

wasn't a fan of heavy mental or original sin, and haven't checked any of his other stuff.

eseph84

posted Monday, April 16, 2018 5:03:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
O.k. so next up is the somewhat modest soul sampled, but stripped down head nodder "blessed are those" where the references to leviathan, nebber kenezzer (sp?) and a lot of other things you don't normally hear about in rap songs in 98 are thrown at you so quick it's hard to catch all the crazy stuff priest is laying down. the type of stuff that might inspire you to pick up a book or nowadays go on your phone and fact check things on google. you gotta remember this album came out in the era of shiny suits and things of that nature when even the grittiest artists were making horrible attempts at radio hits which lead to a lot of very inconsistent albums. well not priest, nope no radio songs on here. just cool, dark, weird hip hop like the horn laced "from then til now" which later stood out in the classic "ghost dawg" movie during a driving scene while forrest whitaker flipped thru songs on the radio til he found something fitting to go do his next kill to.

is it just me or does a little whistling go a long way on tracks when utilized correctly such as it is on here? reminds me of the wild west (also see - the roots - "silent treatment" & and pat benatar "love is a battlefield" for further whistle added excitement)

to be continued...

the weatherman (Admin)

Total Posts: 21795
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 5:09:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for the weatherman
its heavy mental...

followed by psychic world of walter reed

both albums are truly special, while most of his other stuff ranges from solid to meh

5th point

Total Posts: 1083
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 5:19:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
Psychic world of Walter reed

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 41449
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 5:23:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
I'm waiting for heads to come in here saying Heavy Mental is wack or weak but out of the 7 albums of his I've listened to it's easily my favorite of his and his best.

So much dope fucking imagery with 4th Disciple and True Master bangers providing a sickly soundscape.

This one of my GOAT KP tracks of all time...

tippi dink

Total Posts: 6748
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 5:23:53 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
heavy mental
walter reed
the offering

those are three i mainly listen to. actually black august wasn't bad either. the rest of his albums are pretty inconsistent imo, some i've only listened to a handful of times and he's got a couple that i never got around to checking out.

selah

Total Posts: 1079
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 5:40:35 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Heavy Mental, Black August, and Priesthood would probably be my favorites.

Priesthood is very unpopular. Probably because of the production. However, lyrically I think itís great and it walks a better balance between esoteric priest and worldly priest lyrically than most of his other work. Kinda feels like it had a Tupac influence. I was incarcerated for about a year fresh out of high school and came home right around the time this album came out. Most of my friends had moved on to college and what not so I remember sitting around listening to this album a lot while I was serving out my probation and trying to get my life together. This was a time when albums were less disposable than they are nowadays and things that didnít necessarily grab you on the first listen might really captivate you after awhile. Thatís what happened for me with this album.

Grafh

Total Posts: 3390
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 5:44:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Grafh
Heavy Mental is as close to a classic album as you can get. That shit is absolutely bonkers. The first like 4 or 5 tracks on there alone shit on most people's whole career.

Dude's discog is solid, but I really, really have to be in the mood to go to any one of his random albums. The Offering is probably his second best. You can tell he put a lot of work into that album. His biggest problem is his flow is weak as fuck, like always sounds like he's struggling to find his footing.

'Elizabeth (Introduction to the Psychic)' is his only project I outright disliked. Literally such a boring album I used to put it on at night to help me sleep, that's not even a joke.

felipedahiphopadict01

Total Posts: 752
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 5:53:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for felipedahiphopadict01
yo i gotta admit iīve been sleeping on my priest homework, i gotta peep th psychic worl of walter reed

Esat one

Total Posts: 692
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 6:03:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Esat one
heavy mental
priesthood
the offering

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 8922
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 6:16:50 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
the offering
elizabeth
heavy mental

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Monday, April 16, 2018 6:20:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
My next three after Heavy Mental would be...

The Psychic World of Walter Reed
The Offering
Black August

Elizabeth and View From Masada only two recycle bin albums of his. During the 2009 vote i revisited Elizabeth cause it was getting a lot of votes but album did nothing for me.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Monday, April 16, 2018 6:21:24 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
elizabeth and behind the stained glass are good. view from masada and black august suck.

TheHipHopPrince

Total Posts: 10
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 6:28:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for TheHipHopPrince
Heavy Mental!

aeokq

Total Posts: 7362
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 6:34:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for aeokq   Click Here to Email aeokq
I would never claim The Offering is a bad album, that would be stupid. But I do think it is overrated, production being the main factor. I started a thread on it once, too lazy to find it. It still is probably his best album. I need to re-listen, it has been a while. Tai Chi is fucking amazing nothing can take away from that.

The Offering is a good album, a bit inconsistent, but there are some smashers. Psychic World of Walter Reed is cool but I couldn't listen to that double disc in entirety. I recall liking one of the discs way more than the other, forget which one.

View From Masada, Black August, and The 3 Day Theory are all trash imo. I haven't heard any of his other stuff.

How Killah Priest writes the stuff he does is mind boggling, he is sick with the pen. He is also a cool dude, met him at a strip club in Inglewood once and chopped it up.

s-agent

Total Posts: 3908
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 6:38:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for s-agent
Heavy Mental

technosapien36

Total Posts: 284
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 6:39:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for technosapien36
HM

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Monday, April 16, 2018 6:43:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
DAFFY...

aeokq

Total Posts: 7362
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 6:48:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for aeokq   Click Here to Email aeokq
Here's the thread I was talking about if anyone cares. Amazing I can remember a thread from 7 years ago, I spend too much time here.

https://www.undergroundhiphop.com/forums/readpost.asp?Forum=Common&WhichPage=1&QuestionID=2235582&SearchYear=2011

Shock post. I just gave it a spin though and I wasn't that impressed. It's a solid album, I don't want people to get the wrong impression. But the beats are kinda lazy (sums up KP's career) and go for that spiritual type of sound, which fit Priest's style. But in the end they lack energy imo. Plus the rhymes tend to get tiresome throughout the entire album. "Mooonlit, the lunar eclipse prophet stands in the mist of the seven candlesticks..." Shit like that. I actually like those rhymes cuz Priest is excellent at imagery and thoughtful mythological shit. But over an entire album it's sorta whatever.

There are like 7 songs out of 20 that I really like. One Step, Cross My Heart, Fake MCs, Tai Chi [one of 4th Disciple's best], If You Don't Know, B.I.B.L.E., The Professional. Other than that meh. Which is weird cuz 4th handles the bulk of the production.

I dunno, maybe I'm crazy, just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same.

Mental Patient UGHH Artist

Total Posts: 4405
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 6:55:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Mental Patient
Uhh, I'm coming back from the Kendrick Lamar Pulitzer prize thread.

I see the Elizabeth album mentioned here and can't help but think that Killah Priest is even more deserving of something like a Pulitzer.

Not to take anything from Kendrick, but fuck.

Killah Priest is an incredible wordsmith.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Monday, April 16, 2018 7:03:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i never knew he was such a giant man. i saw him on rugged mans podcast and he was humongous.

technosapien36

Total Posts: 284
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 9:37:35 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for technosapien36
I think his album View From Masada is an overlooked gem from him.

mic_data

Total Posts: 1018
posted Monday, April 16, 2018 9:54:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
My favorites are Planet of the Gods, Behind the Stained Glass, PWOWR, then Heavy Mental and the Offering after. Heavy Mental is classic of course, but Behind the Stained Glass was really personal and deep and had some eerie good beats, Planet of the Gods took him in a whole new direction as far as sound and topics.

I know he keeps saying there's a Heavy Mental 2 coming- I don't know why- I don't know what the point would be, but PWOWR feels a lot like Heavy Mental already.

Between Black August and Black August Revisited, there's a solid albums worth of dope stuff.

Between a lot of his other unofficial releases, there's a ton of other dope stuff.

My least favorite is View from Masada, but even that was still decent.

I'd say Priesthood is a slept on one.

HUNTER IS THE HUNTED

Total Posts: 868
posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 7:45:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for HUNTER IS THE HUNTED
I like Priesthood slightly more than Heavy Mental

eseph84

posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:30:30 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
wow thanks for lighting this thread up guys. glad to see a lot of love for heavy mental.

couple things i wanted to touch on-

selah - this statement "This was a time when albums were less disposable than they are nowadays and things that didnít necessarily grab you on the first listen might really captivate you after awhile. Thatís what happened for me with this album."

that's incredibly dope and i totally agree. that cd was awesome i almost forgot about it over time. i remember when it dropped it was kinda hard to find in stores, but my one good friend got it. i just had a copy for a while til i finally got mine, but we (a best friend and i) used to sit down by this one river chill spot and bump it on portable cd player with little mini speakers or each with one earbud in are ears lol. simpler times, shit was dope and no song brings me back to that memory more than "c u when i get there"

also to those who said black august was dope, i agree. i saw him open for big daddy kane right before ba dropped and the songs he did live were gems and got me hyped for the album. the black august revisited cd only bolstered how damn good black august really was. my fav song on there was that weird story he told on "time" shit was like a movie

lastly, elizabeth and the exorcist are the only 2 priest albums i've ever bought and then got rid of. am i missing something on elizabeth? cuz i agree with dude who said he bumped it to go to sleep.

also, this thread is a reminder i've kinda lost track of priests albums in the last 5-10 years but still he is one of my all time favorites. from sunz of man and black market militia to all of his great solo stuff. def enough material to argue he is at least a top 20 emcee with a skill level above at least half of the main wu members.

Decepticon_1_Galvatron

Total Posts: 1791
posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:57:38 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Decepticon_1_Galvatron
Heavy Mental, which is the one that I prefer over all WU group albums. 2nd would be The Offering...OG SUNZ LP in 96 would have been crazy.

According to WU DENG WALT P-Sun has Sunz demos supposedly.

mic_data

posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 12:50:38 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
2009 he put out Elizabeth, I Killed the Devil Last Night, The Exorcist, The Untold Story of Walter Reed, and probably a bunch of stuff on those Advocate mix tapes. None of them were like real official project albums, but between all of those there's like two CDs worth of really dope songs, or at least one if your picky. The point is, he's productive still.

mic_data

posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 12:52:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
I wonder if that Album with Ghost is coming soon.

eseph84

posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 12:58:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
i still need that prodigal album from last year.

Gentle Jones

Total Posts: 3152
posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:59:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Gentle Jones
killah priest is one of them cats you should just check out for the rest of your life. everything he does is brilliant.

dude just has a beautiful mind

eseph84

posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:04:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
"killah priest is one of them cats you should just check out for the rest of your life. everything he does is brilliant.

dude just has a beautiful mind"

funny, i was gonna say the same exact thing about gentle jones.

Gentle Jones

Total Posts: 3152
posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:10:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Gentle Jones
his best album is every album

but his best guest appearance is this

i still have this on a tape

no mask

Total Posts: 10121
posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:34:59 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
well written/nice read eseph.

hes got 4 or 5 great albums and a few dope long double mixtape albums.

im between elizabeth and pwowr.

both are double albums but elizabeth is way harder and iller. pwowr is more creative, skillful and well rounded production wise but dosnt sound like it was recorded in a dark dungeon. both are great.

priest is always on point and that old school mixtape- "dont sit on the speakers" from last year was great. he ripped those classic old school beats. was nice to hear him do so well on top of those fast, funky beats.

heavy mental is great but has a few skippers imo.

Post Coital Cigarette

Total Posts: 690
posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:06:59 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Post Coital Cigarette
heavy mental

cosign everyone who said priesthood

I personally think elizabeth was a bit cheezy, weird skits/samples - if Im not mistaken that was dj woool or whatever

always thought this was such a dope beat but wasted - 4th disciple I believe:

PAhiphopFAN

Total Posts: 1917
Location: K-Pax, a subsidiary of the Planet of the Gods union
posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:11:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for PAhiphopFAN
pwowr is my fav. most people say heavy mental, but i think pwowr felt mystical. it's theories were a perfect balance of imagination and real life. it felt like magic the first 50 times i listened. lol

planet/gods was great too, but i had such high expectations that i couldnt help but feel let down. some truly amazing stuff on here. Color of Ideas is godly!

pwowr and potg are the albums i always listen to when on a plane.

no mask

posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:20:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^if i like it , it wasnt cheesy. hardest priest project. hardest drums, darkest samples. shit hits hard. skits wernt weird- they fit the theme of the occult/esoteric shit and add to the dark vibe. Dj Wool killed it. my cheese detector is extra ready so not getting what you mean. maybe your hearing it through a cheese filter? maybe shits over ya damn head.

forensics

Total Posts: 50
posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:49:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for forensics
Heavy mental is a ug classic for sure. Such powerful music on there.

My favorite priest project tho is pwowr. As a whole its great but even with a few skipperoos, i managed to create a 80 min version of straight 5 mic music. Some POWERFUL songs on there i was not prepared for because I like priest but i didnt know if he had it in him to drop a classic like that this late into his career. Its a modern wu classic for sure.

His production for the most part has been lacking minus some real greay joints here and there. But pwowr is filled with nothing but great beats... so much so that i was really dissapointed in the planet of the gods because the color of ideas is incredible and more like pwowr but the album itself was dull production wise to me.

Also, the offering is a real gem as well. Thats a aolid 4-4.5 mic project.

If i were getting into priest, if start with heavy mental
Then go into the offering. Then pwowr. From there or even in the beginning, check out black market militia which is priest, tragedy, timbo king and hell razah. That album is a classic to me. Came out when i graduated highschool... its so good

If you like that stuff then go into his sunz of man work and ither albums. The dj wool albums are kinda meh but priest has gems upon gems hidden wverywhere. He has sime incredible work with the wu like America and that track he did for rzas grouo achozen. Def one of the most underrated artists alive.

Post COital CIgarette

posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 4:52:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Post COital CIgarette
^if i like it , it wasnt cheesy. hardest priest project. hardest drums, darkest samples. shit hits hard. skits wernt weird- they fit the theme of the occult/esoteric shit and add to the dark vibe. Dj Wool killed it. my cheese detector is extra ready so not getting what you mean. maybe your hearing it through a cheese filter? maybe shits over ya damn head.

dude, you must be single. all you do is look to argue with people on these boards. nobody can share their opinion without you trying to fight about it

you are an emo hurb with bad taste who just posted about golden buddha sucks and ghostface should retire. get real dork

mad cause anticon never signed you? idgi

no mask

posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 5:09:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^ reactionary over the top herb post of the month!

1- i have a wife and 3 kids

2- i dont look to argue but fools saying weak shit get called out- your opinions on fahim are way off too!

3-as far as anticon- i was offered a deal in person by my man sole. but i couldnt just move to oakland at the time.i was friends with sole, sage and others. was offered to move into the house they were all living in and record and release some albums.

4- i never said ghost should retire so your weak at reading.
5-i get along with many and enjoy most opinions
6-i'm far from emo or a herb and been through way more street shit than most. i'm serious. lived a very crazy life for a few years and also grew up on the wrong side of the tracks.
7-i may have the best taste on here. just joking. top 3 fo sho tho.
8-golden buddha is a wack title cause asias far from golden anything or a buddha and the album has only 5 dope tracks. full of weak beats objectively speaking.

POst Coital Cigarette

posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:01:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for POst Coital Cigarette
.. ok lol

no mask

posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:07:57 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^word the fuck up shit tip!

mic_data

posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:39:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
What nobody is talkin about is any of Priest's collabo albums with Chief Kamach & Lord Fury, he's much greater as a solo artist- which isn't always the norm.

Alright, well Black Market was pretty dope tho, but that's like a super group. The Almighty wasn't that great, but shoulda been. Sunz of Man... I wish they would've...

metafive

Total Posts: 279
posted Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:08:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for metafive
its heavy mental...

followed by psychic world of walter reed

Correct

Decepticon_1_Galvatron

Total Posts: 1791
posted Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:55:12 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Decepticon_1_Galvatron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcDYMFH2Sqk

I forgot how sick 4th's beats was...

dj rolo

Total Posts: 4676
posted Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:56:43 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
gotta be Heavy Mental...the rest i'd have to actually sit down and think about. Maybe Elizabeth and The Offering next? ...not sure

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:12:52 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i loved the album he did with chief kamachi

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:13:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Always dug this track off PWOWR...

Partial IP: 73.10.82.7

putitonbigl

Total Posts: 3669
posted Friday, April 20, 2018 3:53:17 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for putitonbigl
Mystic city is my shit.

Heavy mental

The offering

Dont know after that im rusty on KP

All times are ET. The time now is 1:15 AM.Post viewed 974 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: