UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (41) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
(no Idea Is Original) Recycling Or Innovation?

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 48 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  (no Idea Is Original) Recycling Or Innovation?
Drug Smokes

Total Posts: 1203
posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 12:33:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Drug Smokes
Being older and listening to Hip-Hop since the 80's I kind of feel like original concepts and ideas are far and few between these days. Its hard to find a new song by an artist I actually like thats original and dope. I think there is alot of topics that people touch on in other genres but hip hop are afraid to touch on. Most artist that kinda push boundaries on topics and innovation are usually labeled "weirdo" or "backpack" rappers and are put in a box. It just shows that society as a whole doesnt want anything that makes you have to think. Everything mainstream is some zombie 4 bar and repeat basic mumbo jumbo flow about some material shit. Where did all the poor rappers go?
Where did the struggle rappers go? Everyone is so fake now everybody is already instantly balling all of the sudden in there video shoots with rented Bugattis they never get to drive just stand in front of and pretend that its theres? Wow! Why not just be like hey im broke im tryin to come up and get this Buggati but I gotta rap this stupid corny shit cause thats what people buy? I would respect that. People just think if you look rich people will fuck with you but in actual reality thats the furthest from the truth.
Maybe not everyone but most people can see thru the bullshit and look the other way.
Its gonna take a miracle to save this music. I still have hope that someone will come along and turn this whole industry on its head. Probably wont be an American, maybe but I doubt it. Probably be some poor ass dude from like Senegal or something to just bring that real truth and real feeling back to hip hop.
I can only hope so.

Partial IP: 224.194.89

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 4474
Location: NWS I agree with u most of the time, but in this case you are smoked the fuck out bro
posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 12:39:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 20246
Location: What does god have to do with the pronunciation of a word?
posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 12:45:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
hip hop is more popular than it's ever been.

Gozer the Traveler

Total Posts: 442
posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 12:50:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Gozer the Traveler
nothing can stop the corporate takeover

just listen to what you enjoy and let the drones head nod to their programming

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 1:29:17 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88

tippi dink

Total Posts: 8005
posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 1:29:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
honestly i can never relate to posts like these. i feel like hip hop is only expanding and becoming more diverse, with more topics and ideas being touched on and accepted. maybe it's just not music that you care for, and if you looking for a particular sound or style of hip hop there's nothing wrong with that - but there's a lot more than just no substance mumble rappers out there. hip hop is growing, i don't think it needs saving.

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 1:33:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
OP just needs to stop slacking off and dig deeper.

Drug Smokes

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:00:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Drug Smokes
I was talking about mainstream popular hiphop I should have specified more.

POP KILL

Total Posts: 6900
posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:33:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for POP KILL
What tippi said...

"I was talking about mainstream popular Hip Hop I should have specified more."

^^Well your problem is right there. maybe you're your own problem?

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:53:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
the point still stands.. JID, kendrick, KRIT, denzel curry, saba, noname, tyler, mac miller, earl, danny brown, joyner lucas, isaiah rashad, logic, cole, mick jenkins.. i might not be a huge fan of every single one of these guys but regardless of how you or i feel about them, these are all "bigger" artists that make music with some substance beyond the overly materialistic shit. there's so much different music out there, and the gap between understand and mainstream has become blurrier this past decade or so. there's a nice balance out there right now, and i feel like it's become more acceptable to experiment and combined elements from different genres and scenes. maybe not at the very top of the charts but still far from underground.

Drug Smokes

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:57:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Drug Smokes
Yeah of course Tippi "doesnt get it" cause its not some thread about Anklejohn or fuckin Crimeapple or some off the wall obscure rapper they could get all nerdy and emo about and try to look like there cool and hip commenting about some rare ass album that like only 100 people in the world heard of. Just cause its super underground and no one listens to it doesnt mean its good it just mean it probably sucks to most people but for some reason you like it. I'd listen to Cage over Eminem anyday and most people hate the guy but thats me. So dont get offended when I say artist are lazy and not being as creative as they used to be and catering to what sells instead of quality. If you think otherwise then eat a dick!

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:00:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
lol, that 180'd.

Drug Smokes

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:02:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Drug Smokes
Im just talking about quality and substance and originality. It could be ughh or mainstream or whatever

anti-stunna

Total Posts: 1344
posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:02:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for anti-stunna
unfortunately most rappers are WANNABE STUNNAS

There's nothing that we can do my friend. It gets worse everyday with garbage like TMZ,MTV,E.ESPN

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:03:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
the fuck are you going on about? no one's offended here but you. you made a lot of reductive statements in the OP and i was responding to that, i'm not even talking about underground rappers. stop projecting lol.

Drug Smokes

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:09:08 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Drug Smokes
You come in here and said you cant relate to what I said then dropped a paragraph about it so why even respond? Just to let us know you dont like what I said? You obviously felt "a certain way" otherwise you woulda just kept steppin. Like what does you not relating to what I said have anything to do with what I said? You just had to act like you were trying to drop some knowledge and drop your 2 cents but you had nothing to say. I was never mad or upset more like disappointed and misunderstood. You seem pretty salty tho you little salty dog

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:15:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
are you trolling right now? that's insane. you made a thread on a discussion board, and then when someone wants to discuss what you said you get all bent out of shape and start hurling insults. all both of my previous replies were related to what you said in the OP. i provided many examples of popular artists that don't line up with what you're saying in the OP, and explained why i don't agree with what you were said, and you started talking about obscure underground rappers for some reason. you're the one who can't stay on topic, not me lol.

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:23:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i think OP thought everyone was going to agree with his initial comments, and was thrown off by everyone disagreeing with him, and is now reacting poorly to it.

it's all good, OP. there's dope hip hop out there, forget the mainstream.

Drug Smokes

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:36:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Drug Smokes
I wasnt trying to get people to agree or disagree was just saying what I thought

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:38:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
and then you got aggressive towards tippi for disagreeing with what you thought.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:41:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
this is a forum man, not your diary or blog. i didn't come at you aggressively or anything, i was just contributing to the discussion that YOU created, and then you started ranting lol. chill, it's really not that serious. you should be able to disagree or agree with what someone is saying without trying to insult them.

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:43:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
well this thread's a bust.

hey tippi, i just finished the first volume of sandman yesterday, and was kind of iffy about it. i'm guessing, like transmetropolitan, it'll get considerably better and more narratively focused in the second or third volume. correct?

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:44:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i'm going to start reading volume two in a little over two hours from now.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:47:53 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
sandman really picks up after the first volume, i remember feeling a similar way when i first started reading it. some people actually recommend that new readers start with volume 2 because of the fear that volume 1 might turn some people off from the book altogether. definitely stick with it though, i think you'll find that it gets a lot better.

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:52:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
that's what i figured. there's no way this series would be as revered as it is, if the volumes were all like volume one.

i enjoyed the final chapter - where the sister death shows up - a lot more than the others, and the editor even talked about that in the afterward, how that issue felt like a turning point or whatever.

the artwork is so old school. like the tales from the crypt EC art back in the 50s. i'm guessing the art stays that way for the whole series, yeah? i wish it was a little more modern, but iiwii. i get that they're paying homage to the EC horror titles.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:00:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
sandman is weird because that first volume ties much more heavily into the actual DC continuity. it felt like gaiman was being forced to include stuff in the story that he didn't want to have, i don't know if that's the case but i remember reading something about how gaiman never intended for sandman to go past 8 issues and intentionally wrote preludes and nocturnes as it's own self contained thing. it was still very different and innovative for its time though, and the success of those first 8 issues led to him really thinking about what he wanted to do with this universe and turned it into it's own thing.

crumplesucks

Total Posts: 133
posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:03:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for crumplesucks

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:04:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
also the art definitely doesn't stay that way for the whole series, gaiman worked with a bunch of different artists. in general though i think the art gets better the further along you get though.

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:04:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
lmao at keith's hat. what a dope weirdo.

the DC tie-ins were definitely off-putting. glad to hear the implication that they go away for good, going forward. i'm excited to check out V2 now.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:06:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
here's the interview i was thinking of

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/uncategorized/dream-a-little/

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:15:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
also the art definitely doesn't stay that way for the whole series, gaiman worked with a bunch of different artists. in general though i think the art gets better the further along you get though.

oh, that's a relief. even though i like the old EC titles, i accept that the art is what it is for the time. i wasn't a fan of a 90s comic having those same limitations. this is the most relieving thing you've said, haha. i knew the story would get better - it had to - but the art could have been more permanent.

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:16:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i'll check that interview. does it have spoilers though?

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:25:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
nah there's no major spoilers, it's more about the process behind the creation of the book and the morpheus character, the themes in the book, and the impact it had. nothing too in depth in terms of the story itself.

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:28:08 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
dope, thanks.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:44:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
hey is there a note somewhere in volume 1 with gaiman with a comment from gaiman saying "i don't like this, but it must be shown in order to show the rest"? i remember seeing something like that, but i don't know if it was in the absolute editions or the trades i used to have.

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:51:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i read a digital copy of the trade. there was a foreward by gaiman and an afterward by the editor. i kind of rushed through reading them, after i finished reading the issues, because it was the end of the day and i had a dinner to get to, so i don't remember the specifics. however, i think you're right and he hints at volume one being kind of testing ground. i don't recall him outright saying he didn't like it, but i can't recall.

i returned it to my library, so can't go back and check it without using up another one of my limited borrows from that library. and i got to use those for getting the next volumes, so i can't check, unfortunately.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:59:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
yeah i was paraphrasing of course but i just wanted to make sure i was remembering that right lol. i just remember seeing that and thinking it was interesting. i could check the absolutes when i get home so it's no big deal, but i figured maybe you had a copy on hand.

Litney spears

Total Posts: 3945
Location: Whattup Fosters. You know I been drinkin nuffin but dem good limited release beers, all Double IPA's
posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 5:21:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Litney spears
Are people gonna read all these essays is the question

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 5:24:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
you're at a shelter right now. you clearly have nothing better to do than read this whole thread.

Litney spears

Total Posts: 3945
Location: Whattup Fosters. You know I been drinkin nuffin but dem good limited release beers, all Double IPA's
posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 5:25:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Litney spears
Actually I'm at work drinking free coffee about to start in an hour

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 5:28:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
dope. get work, bro!

posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 6:55:24 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
only two issues into volume two and the art and story are already considerably better, lol. damn that volume one.

Sultan of Slumpin

Total Posts: 429
posted Wednesday, September 19, 2018 11:43:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Sultan of Slumpin
Worst post of the year?

Seme__one

Total Posts: 2654
posted Thursday, September 20, 2018 9:20:36 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
can observe read all these essays is the question...that and can he even read

posted Thursday, September 20, 2018 10:41:25 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
it's pretty bad, SS. i'm just glad we flipped it and i managed to get some good info from it.

Drug Smokes

posted Thursday, September 20, 2018 12:23:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Drug Smokes
I only make classic posts bitchs

posted Thursday, September 20, 2018 12:28:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i enjoyed it *shrugs

Drug Smokes

posted Thursday, September 20, 2018 2:22:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Drug Smokes
Yo Tippi I seen Mr. Lif is selling a rare barney purple limited edition vinyl of his
Out take acapellas from some album from 2002 that never gave out. Only 2 copies available u should go cop that lol

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 4474
Location: NWS I agree with u most of the time, but in this case you are smoked the fuck out bro
posted Thursday, September 20, 2018 2:25:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
I need that Mr. Lif Barney Vinyl now...link?

All times are ET. The time now is 3:57 AM.Post viewed 677 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: