UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (61) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Worse Hiphop Taste In UGHH.com Award.

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 88 replies
Page: 1 2
AuthorTopic:  Worse Hiphop Taste In UGHH.com Award.
stealy

Total Posts: 674
posted Saturday, November 03, 2018 6:48:08 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for stealy
Since alot of you like to talk about others having shit hiphop taste lets all have it out and post your top 5 rappers. Dont be one of the ass kissers on here afraid what other dudes from a forum on the interwebz has to say, i dont expect a top 5 from Dj Rolo, Vinny blank, or that other dude because they have man poons.

#1 Prodigy

#2 Nas

#3 Banks

#4 DMX

#5 Redman

No east coast bias.

Olli i mean the winner will be announced 1am uk time. Set alarm. Gob bless.

Partial IP: 224.194.89

Litney spears

Total Posts: 3313
posted Saturday, November 03, 2018 7:59:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Litney spears
Why did you post the videos? Just post ya rapper

stealy

posted Saturday, November 03, 2018 8:58:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for stealy
Because i like videos ok faggot ? 30 odd dudes too shook to share that top 5 .. scared much ?

Minsk, Belarus

Total Posts: 141
posted Sunday, November 04, 2018 1:32:12 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Minsk, Belarus
-admiral crumple
-prince markie dee
-kid from kid n' play
-donnie wahlberg
-rappin' barney from that fruity pebbles commcercial

wigga prerequisite

Total Posts: 111
posted Sunday, November 04, 2018 5:40:33 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for wigga prerequisite
u dont even listen ug or like ug, y are u hear mr gay unit ass licker promoter?

stealy

posted Sunday, November 04, 2018 5:43:21 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for stealy
Thanks for the insight mink, did Barney shoot you with his purple cannon when you were a kid ?

stealy

posted Sunday, November 04, 2018 5:58:18 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for stealy
Ug - yes

Ug artist top 5 ? - no

Sorry tim dog you aint top 500 worthy.

Lpac

Total Posts: 7856
posted Sunday, November 04, 2018 4:49:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lpac
Tha God Fahim
Big L
Celph Titled
Keith Murray
Pac

That list will change tomorrow though

WONKkk

Total Posts: 227
Location: KARIM IS A FRAUD FAGGOT TRANNY & a CLOWN(Nhl is his BITCH)
posted Sunday, November 04, 2018 4:52:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for WONKkk
Nhl

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 42931
posted Sunday, November 04, 2018 5:30:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Ollie with his stuck in the 80's taste.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 11049
posted Sunday, November 04, 2018 5:31:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
big pun
big l
celph titled
vinnie paz
mf doom

honorable mention: cassidy, camron, jadakiss, dmx, thagodfahim, your old droog, bronson, spit gemz, apathy and the doppelgangaz.

tippi dink

Total Posts: 7527
posted Sunday, November 04, 2018 6:23:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
Aesop Rock
Black Thought
Pharaohe Monch
DOOM

was thinking about this for a while, and i really can't decide on a #5. it could honestly be any one of 15-20 different rappers depending on how i'm feeling that day.

stealy

posted Sunday, November 04, 2018 6:50:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for stealy
Hats off to the people who came here and shared that top 5, #5 is always a chop and change, my top 4 is set in stone but #5 changes regularly, could be scarface one day redman the next and others.

raskolnikov

Total Posts: 562
posted Sunday, November 04, 2018 11:59:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for raskolnikov
wu tang (collectively)
pun
celph titled
doom
canibus

wigga prerequisite

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 1:47:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for wigga prerequisite
Ollie with his stuck in the 80's taste.

nope but your stuck in the wackness taste of wufag clan femaem ka roc marc garbage. I proved time and time over again 1000x i listen to new stuff as well as the old.

selah

Total Posts: 1564
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 6:01:51 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Sorry Stealy just not a favorites person really for overall favorites. More like individual bodies of work or things.

Some people I consistently like their work would be
Aesop Rock
AZ
Black Thought
Murs
Prodigy
Blueprint
Illogic
Apathy
Esoteric
Sage Francis
Noah23

stealy

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 8:48:04 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for stealy
Its cool selah its more about getting to see peoples taste in hiphop a list is fine, i dont see the 'elites' posting their top 5 tho ....

stealy

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 8:50:21 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for stealy
somebody lmk how to post pics, the Imgur app i used aint working.

selah

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 8:54:16 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
https://imgbb.com

Go here. Upload. Then use the html full link. Copy/Paste

stealy

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 9:03:47 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for stealy
Thnka I'll give it a try

LEX718

Total Posts: 1635
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 9:17:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for LEX718
I can never do one of these without feeling like someone can be replaced so today's top 5 are:

Nas
Prodigy
Q-Tip
Rakim
Black Thought

O.C., Masta Ace and Mosdef get honorable mentions.

tippi dink

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 9:55:55 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
it's interesting, i'm used to seeing rakim and q-tip in top five lists but i don't know if i've ever seen them in the same one before.

i don't understand how someone could have a concrete top 5 really, the more i think about it. usually it seems to be something that was set in stone years and years ago. what would it take for someone to get bumped off, and are these rankings based only on personal preference or are you trying to consider who is actually the best? what are the different factors you're considering? do any of you have a "legacy" top 5 that never really changes as well as a current top 5 that fluctuates, or it is the same thing for you no matter what? i feel like it's way easier to make a list of my top rappers currently rather than all time.

if i'm just looking at this decade, it would look something like this for me:

aesop rock
ka
billy woods
elucid
zeroh

hm: jam baxter, danny brown, homeboy sandman, mike eagle, busdriver, KRIT, onry ozzborn, kendrick earl, tom scott, milo, mach-hommy

LEX718

Total Posts: 1635
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 10:10:27 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for LEX718
^It's very subjective. The most important thing to me is what their music invokes outta me. It's weird cause Q-Tip is there primarily because of the vibe of his music while Rakim is there primarily because of his skill coupled with impact and thought is there mainly on skill. The artists I like should have some kind of balance. If it was only skill I'd have Royce or Pharoahe up there. If it was only vibe/sound I might have Large Pro or Guru up there.

Total Posts: 19756
Location: What does god have to do with the pronunciation of a word?
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 10:23:39 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
without thinking too hard about it, because it would kill me, here are five that come to mind:

blu
roc marciano
q-tip
mf doom
ghostface killah

dan issel 2 inch vertical

Total Posts: 355
Location: When people use secondary accounts and proxies i grow more powerful
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 10:24:49 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dan issel 2 inch vertical

mos def
ras kass
nas
madd skillz
masta ace

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 10:40:54 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
blu has gone full nas in the past five years, picking risky beats. top that off with him intentionally not mixing his songs right, and he's full on sabotaged his own career by now. was just listening to his good to be home album with bombay, and his rapping is so A+, but the mix on the beats ruins the whole thing (plus, too many guests).

his rapping is amazing though. the voice is great, the subject matter is always thoughtful and unique, and he varies up his style all the time but always in a functional way rather than pointless showboating (see: myka 9). he just says smarter shit than basically everyone else in rap, imo, without any obfuscating like most "intelligent rappers" seem to do nowadays, hiding behind vague/obscure references, putting on false personas, forcing wider vocabularies, etc.

some literary snob once criticized ernest hemmingway for the basic vocabulary he uses in his prose, and hemmingway responded that he can express more with simpler words than this other guy ever could with all his big words, so why get pretentious about i and start to obfuscate just to impress all the snobs. blu is one of those rare rappers that (seemingly) has such an ease with honestly expressing his full self in his raps. he has so many skills you kind of can't go and learn, similar to q-tip or saigon.

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 4311
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 10:40:57 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior

Nassau William Senior

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 10:57:09 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
I love the album with Bombay. The vinyl sounds amazing. Raw, almost Madlib like.

his EP's with Ray West and Nottz are also amazing. The album with Union Analogtronics was okay. A few bangers for sure, but I didn't the echo on his voice. Every line doesn't need to be repeated in the background.

I refused to buy the new album due to the shitty mixing.

tippi dink

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 10:58:29 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
blu's great and i'd say i enjoy 80% of his projects a lot, which is probably a higher percentage than most would throw out there. his lyrics aren't overly complicated yet there's still a lot to unpack and take away from them, he's just a candid artist in general and that's one of his main strengths. i wouldn't say obfuscation or making obscure references is inherently bad though. i love both styles of lyricism, when they're done correctly in a way that comes across as genuine. aesop, jam baxter, and elucid are just as compelling to me as blu, homeboy sandman, or earl

"he can express more with simpler words than this other guy ever could with all his big words, so why get pretentious about i and start to obfuscate just to impress all the snobs."

because it sounds cool

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:08:22 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
just like nas, it seems like blu has been trying ever since his debut to prove he's as good as the debut promised he was, while also trying really hard to avoid doing what he did on his debut, in fear that it'll come off as redundant. both experiment to a fault, haunted by their first albums. i mean, look at blu's three next projects after below the heavens: a party album (johnson&jonson), a "fun" album where he mostly took the backseat (crac's piece talks), and then a super low key solo mixtape (herfavcolor). when his major label solo was supposed to come out, he ended up throwing copies of it out to crowds for free before it was even released, and then the label had a falling out and it got a very minor release. like, he went way out of his way to not give us a below the heavens follow-up or anything in the equivalent. he intentionally acted aloof, as if appearing to try hard for a project would cause the project's success to either make or break his career. the pressure to follow up below the heavens caused every project after to be an anti-follow up. and even when the second album with exile came out, he downplayed it hard by (a) initially releasing it with a shitty mix on bandcamp, and (b) dismissing its state as a current release by claiming they recorded the whole thing a few years prior and sat on it until now like it was no big deal.

even though i was complaining above about false personas, kool keith did it right with his octagon/dooom concept, because it allowed him to kill the ghost of his successful (solo) debut by just switching characters and saying the debut character is dead, so don't look for him.

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:10:35 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
and then there's saigon. poor guy. all the talent in the world, but the pressure killed him. this guy, like nas and blu, is haunted by his debut, except saigon never put out the debut (or he did but in a lesser, limited-by-label-input version). this happened to lots of rappers in the mid-00's, but saigon missing his chance at bat was the worst. could have genuinely been a goat, imo. wasted talent.

Nassau William Senior

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:11:37 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
interesting thoughts...GP 88

selah

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:24:10 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Praises frank and simple speech. Proceeds to write large paragraphs and use words like obfuscate to expound upon said ideal of expression.

Tell me more 88

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:24:29 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i wouldn't say obfuscation or making obscure references is inherently bad though.

i would.

or at least i view it as a far lesser thing than the opposite approach. well, let me put it this way: although there are some rappers that can do it very well and it works like a charm, obfuscation is a place where lazy/less talented rappers can hide behind and get away with it, all under the guise of falsely appearing to know what they're doing. as in, "you don't get what i'm saying but trust me it makes sense to me so i'm a genius and it's your fault it doesn't make sense because you're just dumb". people truly fall for it, and it's the worst. it's gaslighting. so it should be frowned upon in general, imo, because even when you praise the people that do it well and deserve the praise, it gives an excuse for these other rappers (or up and coming rappers) for an easy out.

expressing complex ideas in clear, simple terms is far harder (and more impressive and praise worthy to me) than expressing simple ideas in complex ways. although "it sounds cool", that sounding cool is just for its own sake. it's all form over function bullshit, to me. it's why i never listen to aesop rock or mykah 9 or any of those guys. they're just formal showoffs. it's boring.

we both know this argument has a dead end sign attached to it. iiwii.

selah

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:26:49 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Yeah youíve already dead ended it by defying your own logic in your form. Execution does not match your idea.

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:32:52 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
selah, you damn scoundrel! i'm not blu or ernest hemmingway -- this is why they're held highly, whereas i'm a common loser on a dead internet forum.

also, i thought everything i said was pretty clear and simply stated, but maybe that's just in my head. i wouldn't say "long" and "complicated" are synonymous. it's specifically because i don't want to obfuscate and be misunderstood that i give you the long paragraph, rather than the vague/generalized one or two line length comment. in other words, wouldn't trying to pack a complicated message into only one or two lines (when i don't have the talent to effectively pull that off) be more egregious and hypocritical here than spilling it all out in a manner that i am more capable of/confident in pulling off?

selah

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:33:38 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
You are basically insulting the free jazz aspect of hip hop.

Do you hold the same disregard for said jazz musicians who pioneered that form. They are many of the same who are revered as legends in general.

selah

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:37:38 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
When you state that things are better payed out simple and plain you are operating within a certain language construct created by mankind. Words do not have meaning inherently attached to them. So while the practical need for specific terms of communications necessitates an idea that all can grasp to for a basis it does not solidify those terms preventing them from being used in a more fluid manner.

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:39:41 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
and if your response to that is that i'm going against what i'm touting for the sake of more easily expressing myself, then i would argue that my alteration in form is done for functional purpose, rather than just for flowery formal sake. in other words, it's more functionally appropriate for a cain't-speak-so-good person like me to make longer statements to get my ideas across then it would be for ernest hemmingway. but that doesn't sidle me up with the guy that was criticizing hemmingway, because that guy was making longer statements just for the sake of making longer statements because he incorrectly thought people that make longer statements seem smarter, and that people that make smaller statements are to be dismissed.

hemmingway proved him completely wrong.

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:42:27 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
admittedly, i'm a melody whore when it comes to jazz. i don't care for improv jazz or for someone like leonard bernstein. "call me a fool, i like what i like," said the fool, 88, in the thread about having terrible taste.

selah

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:43:03 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Why is artistically phrasing something doing it for the sake of doing it. Peoples minds operate differently. I donít rap in simple terms because I donít think in simple terms. My rhymes are an expression of my internal stream of consciousness which can be erratic, unclear but still hold meaning, go around in circles.

Iím not insulting the converse of my style and preferred style as you seem to be.

tippi dink

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:44:39 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
i don't know, i feel like it's easy to tell when a rapper is forcing it just to be flashy/technical rather than just expressing themselves in a way that's genuine for them. actually, most of the rappers i enjoy do both styles of lyricism well, mixing them together within the same verse seamlessly. i don't think it's fair to say that aesop rock is just "showing off" for the sake of it though, especially not on anything he's released in the last decade. that's kind of a ridiculous statement to me. it's just a different style entirely. more about the imagery and what that particular sentence or phrase evokes in you personally, how you interpret it. that's the fun of it to me. i truly think both styles are impressive as fuck, it all depends on how the artist and how they execute it. something that i feel should be judged on a case by case basis instead of saying "if you use big words you're a pretentious bitch". i get it though, i remember you saying pretty recently that you don't ever look to music to really learn or break lyrics down and that's not interesting you to. no big deal. like anything else, you're only going to take as much away from it as you want to.

the same argument you're making could almost be flipped for a lot of the more straightforward/simple artists out there that call themselves "rockstars" and artists instead of rappers, in way that almost seems intended makes their lyrical skills immune to critique.

wigga prerequisite

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:47:28 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for wigga prerequisite
shit thread shit eurofag [poaster

this episode of arrow with michael jai white is on the must watch list

selah

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:48:21 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Lol when did you turn into clock Ollie

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:53:32 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
When you state that things are better payed out simple and plain you are operating within a certain language construct created by mankind. Words do not have meaning inherently attached to them. So while the practical need for specific terms of communications necessitates an idea that all can grasp to for a basis it does not solidify those terms preventing them from being used in a more fluid manner.

yes, there are many ways that can and should be used to express thoughts and feelings, but i'm arguing for functionality, and saying that a lot of rappers sacrifice that entirely for form's sake (see: my hella long argument against epidemic, comparing them to all-tricks-for-no-reason show off harlem globetrotters). i mean, you have your "what" (what you're saying) and your "how" (how you're saying it), and the "how" is everything in art, but a lot of rappers get too caught up in that fact, and forget to tie it to a meaningful "what". or they forget to tie it to any "what" at all, and it becomes a harlem globetrotter spinning a ball on his finger thing, where what you're doing will literally do nothing to help you get the ball through the hoop at the other side of the court. the ball player is entirely lost in the how at that point, and it happens to rappers too, all the time.

at the end of the day, i have no idea what argument you are trying to make with this comment, you obfuscating bitch. free jazz artists are reaching for an entirely different "what" through a different "how" than your standard jazz artist.

selah

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:57:57 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Reaching for an entirely different what through a different how.

Exactly. Words donít have to have inherent meaning like Tippi and I are saying and they are open to interpretation. I donít have to grasp the message completely of every single song I listen to in order to enjoy it or for it to develop a particular meaning for me personally.

I can in fact tell you what every single line I rap means and in context though so I donít go as abstract as some others. Doesnít mean what they do doesnít hold merit as reaching for an entirely different what through a different how.

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 11:58:25 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
the same argument you're making could almost be flipped for a lot of the more straightforward/simple artists out there that call themselves "rockstars" and artists instead of rappers, in way that almost seems intended makes their lyrical skills immune to critique.

yeah, good point, tippi.

i'm most likely wrong about a guy like aesop rock. i don't listen to those guys, so shouldn't weigh in on them, because i end up talking about shit i don't know. the main thing i'm griping about here is the guys that try to hide their lack of skill behind all that "skill", such as epidemic.

frailemotionalwhitedevil

Total Posts: 77
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 12:00:59 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for frailemotionalwhitedevil
wall of text alert

selah

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 12:01:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
And that comment is a basic philisophical tenet in regard to humankind in general.

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 12:09:12 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
I can in fact tell you what every single line I rap means and in context though so I donít go as abstract as some others. Doesnít mean what they do doesnít hold merit as reaching for an entirely different what through a different how.

i'm not saying what they do doesn't hold merit. i'm just saying it's not for my taste, because of all the opinions i have on art in terms of clarity, simplicity, functionality, etc. that's just my taste, and those are the opinions within me that lead to my taste. everything i'm saying in this thread is from the perspective of my taste and opinions, rather than as some sort of objective fact.

just because i have no desire at all to read james joyce's finnegans wake, because it's literally one of the most complicated books ever written, doesn't mean i can't recognize that he is a god for his body of work, including finnegan's wake. but, regardless of my recognition of joyce's talent, i personally have no interest in his style of art.

i don't know, it feels like you think i'm saying all this as if i believe it to be objectively true, but look back at my comments and i'm constantly saying "imo" or "to me". in conclusion, i'm 100% wrong in this whole thread, and the thread has defeated me and i have the worst taste on the board and i suck.

tippi dink

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 12:09:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
you can dumb it down too much or over simply it to the point where it becomes just as boring as rappers that don't have anything interesting to say using their technical ability as a crutch. two different ends of the spectrum.

i do understand where you're coming from, because there are certainly artists i've felt that way about. i definitely don't think epidemic and aesop rock should be placed in the same arena here though. aesop's music means a lot to the people who really listen to it, and for his fans it's really not that hard to figure out what the picture he's painting is or what he's trying to say because we're so used to the language. it seems natural. i genuinely believe that if you just read some of the lyrics from the impossible kid you'd be surprised by how accessible & easy to grasp some of it is while still being lyrically dense.

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 12:17:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
but tippi, it's specifically because epidemic doesn't belong in the same conversation as aesop rock that i mention them. those guys hide their lack of talent behind a wall of technical skill, and point to guys like aesop rock and go, "he does it and people love him, so we deserve the same love because we do it too". even though they didn't at all.

in terms of hemmingway's iceberg theory, they saw the ice above the water of a guy like aesop and thought, "hm, that's some cool liking ice there"; then they saw the fans praising aesop's ice; then they went, "i'm going to make my ice look just like aesop's, because the fans seem to thinks it's as dope as i do"; but the problem is epidemic only ever noticed the ice above the water. and misunderstood the fans' praise, thinking the fans were also only noticing the ice above the water. they paid no attention at all to all the ice under the water of aesop's career. what i'm criticizing is rappers that just copy the 10% of ice that's above the water, and never even notice the other 90% under the water. this probably makes no sense at all, hahaha.

All times are ET. The time now is 6:32 PM.Post viewed 940 timesPage: 1 2
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: