UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (60) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Is Crooked I The Most Technical Emcee Ever?

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 27 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Is Crooked I The Most Technical Emcee Ever?
shaolinassasin

Total Posts: 69
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 12:37:10 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for shaolinassasin
Ok so I'm obviously not saying he's the best overall emcee ever but as far as pure rhyming I can't think of anyone better. The only other that comes even remotely close is either Eminem or King Los. Other then that has there ever been a better rhymer?

Partial IP: 38.220.141

selah

Total Posts: 1564
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 12:51:06 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Busdriver

Partial IP: 224.194.89

vinnny blanc

Total Posts: 6234
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 1:13:23 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for vinnny blanc
Yawning sloth gif

Litney spears

Total Posts: 3312
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 1:18:03 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Litney spears
2 words, Lupe fiasco
2 other words. Fuck you

wigga prerequisite

Total Posts: 111
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 1:49:40 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for wigga prerequisite
5 words fecal matter homeless shelter cot

dR.prOf

Total Posts: 7390
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 2:07:33 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dR.prOf   Click Here to Email dR.prOf
Define what you mean by "technical"

shaolinassasin

Total Posts: 69
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 2:11:22 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for shaolinassasin
replies 2/3/4 are from this forums resident homosexuals.

technical - metaphors, multis, similies, delivery, cadence, etc.

Partial IP: 38.220.141

NoHeadlights

Total Posts: 56026
Location: i hope its lots of hard dark beats with hard drums!
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 5:34:10 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for NoHeadlights
What good does it do saying lupe fiasco in every thread. Do you realize how gay u look, release your grasp on lupes ballsack karim

selah

Total Posts: 1564
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 8:45:31 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
My response was cause you said rhymer. Busdriver strings together insane multisyllabic lines and adapts his flow to the beat pretty much seamlessly. So hes pretty technical.

felipedahiphopadict01

Total Posts: 1069
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 8:49:25 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for felipedahiphopadict01
crooked i, is defnitly ill, but not in my personal top 20

LEX718

Total Posts: 1635
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 9:19:53 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for LEX718
He may be up there. I think Pharoahe, Royce, Em and Black Thought may all be slightly more gifted. That's not to say he can't hang with and outshine them occasionally.

felipedahiphopadict01

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 9:41:56 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for felipedahiphopadict01
he clearly said "has there ever been"

yall know that we dont even need to look outisde of new york to find between 30 to 40 iller mcs

now if we talk mcs from his era till now(late 90s till now) he might be somewhere between the top 20s mcs

born dead

Total Posts: 2604
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 12:27:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for born dead
I'd say Hex One, Elzhi, Vakill are up there as technical rappers. I'm a Copywrite stan so I'd include him as well.

Total Posts: 19755
Location: What does god have to do with the pronunciation of a word?
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 12:46:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
crooked sucks.

see: the "worst taste" thread.

felipedahiphopadict01

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 12:51:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for felipedahiphopadict01
he doesnt suck his joint with statik and some others before that were great

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 12:55:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
rappers like crooked i and epidemic fucking suck at technical raps. every rhyme is completely visible and it's all just for the sake of the rhyme, rather than for the sake of actually saying something worth a damn.

common is a far better technical rapper than these people. go listen to resurrection: it's effortless and invisible and amazing, and he's actually trying to express something in the content of the lyrics.

invisible, functional multis are the most underrated thing on ughh.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 11049
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 1:03:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
cosign lex and throw in apathy, spit gemz, canibus and gift of gab. and rip big pun

felipedahiphopadict01

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 1:07:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for felipedahiphopadict01
yes resurrection is a classic incredible album no argument there but crooked is also mad good

Litney spears

Total Posts: 3312
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 2:02:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Litney spears
Del , Kurupt, E 40, Ras Kass were more technical than crooked I

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 2:03:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
do you have any idea how easy it is to rhyme like crooked i and epidemic when the stuff you're saying in your rhymes is as meaningless as the stuff crooked i and epidemic say?

i don't care, i'm doing it, fuck it:

to me, epidemic doesn't have enough variation in their rhymes. hex always has the same flow on every track. i think the problem, to me, is that their style becomes exhausting, because, in literally every verse, they're trying to rhyme as many syllables in their words as possible. i've used the example before, when discussing my problem with epidemic -- one of the reasons the wu-tang emcees were so popular was because of the varieties in style. each had a different style of how they rhymed. inspectah deck was like hex one, always trying to do multis, but rza was smart enough to match inspectah deck's verses up with verses from other emcees in the group who weren't trying to do lyrical gymnastics. if wu-tang consisted entirely of inspectah deck bomb atomically verses, wu wouldn't be nearly as popular. it's specifically because the bomb atomically verses from deck were rare that they were popular and great. there needs to be variety. you can't try to do multis in every single verse of every single track, because it's just too much. it becomes repetitive.

the harlem globetrotters are another good example. those guys are endlessly doing basketball tricks, to the point that it becomes boring to watch, because eventually every trick looks the same. kyrie irving, however, people love seeing him do tricks, because he's not only doing tricks. he's also being fundamental. there's variety there. which makes the tricks more special when they happen. if the tricks were constantly happening in every play (like they do with the globetrotters), they wouldn't be as special when they happened, and the fans would eventually hate the tricks. hex is more like the globetrotters in this example. the lyrical gymnastics are only special if they only happen occasionally. if they happen in every verse of every track, they lose their magic. rza was a genius for how he diversified styles in his group.

the other problem is the visibility of hex' efforts. what makes an emcee great at doing multis isn't his/her ability to do multis for days (see: my globetrotters metaphor above). instead, it's their ability to make the multis seem natural/invisible. with hex, you hear every rhymed syllable in a bar, because of the way he writes. it's kind of a showing off style, where he wants you to hear what he's doing. the problem with that, though, is that it becomes all you can hear in the bar. you stop listening to the content of what he's saying, because of how distracting the rhyming is.

i'm listening to common right now. the track, resurrection. he's doing so many multis right now, but they're not distracting me from hearing what he's actually saying, because he's talented enough to make the multis come off naturally. they don't draw attention to themselves. the multis are more "invisible" with common than they are with hex.

jay-z's a master of making his multis invisible. to the point that sometimes you don't even realize he's doing multis, unless you listen closely. it all seems completely effortless. with hex, though, it doesn't seem effortless. you hear every single rhymed syllable with hex. and he wants you to, because he wants you to know how good he is. the problem, though, is that it comes off as lacking confidence. i'm still listening to resurrection. common's saying a multi and moving on, careless of whether you heard it or not. there's a confidence there, just like how there is when kyrie does a crossover. because kyrie's crossovers are functional. he's doing them for a specific reason - to get to the hoop - rather than just doing them for the sake of doing them to impress the crowd. function over form, guys. that's how all art needs to be. if form is coming first, like it is with hex, it's failing at the fundamental level.

when the globetrotters crossover a washington general, it's not as impressive as when kyrie irving crosses over some of the best defenders in the world. because, (a) the washington generals intentionally allow it to happen, and (b) there's nothing difficult about crossing over someone who's in on it. crossing over klay thompson, though? that's not something everyone can do. in other words, the form serves no function in the globetrotter case. it's just form for form's sake. for kyrie, though, the form is entirely functional. the only reason kyrie's doing the crossover is because it's the only way to get past klay in this moment of this play in this game. it's difficult, but it must be done to serve the function of getting to the basket. what i'm getting at here is that form without function is incredibly easy. in other words, when hex one is rhyming about basically nothing - sci fi dragons and wizards or whatever - it's like trying to cross over a washington general. it might look impressive and seem difficult to the unbeknownst viewer, but it's actually really, really easy. do you realize how easy it is to rhyme like hex one, when the content of your rhymes is as meaningless as hex one's?

so i have to talk about the emcee, esoteric. esoteric is another lyrical gymnast show-off sometimes. he's good at it. on the album, egoclapper, he was rhyming multis like crazy, but he doesn't really say anything worthwhile in any of the songs on that album. a few albums later, though, he put out a concept album, saving saemus ryan. each song was part of some larger story, so the words in each song had a purpose. unlike on his album, egoclapper, the rapping on saving saemus ryan was functional. and you know what happened? the rhyming became clumsier and less impressive. when esoteric's bars had to have actual meaning, it was like trying to crossover klay thompson. esoteric couldn't do it. he was used to crossing over washington generals. but now he was being guarded by klay thompson. all the fancy dribbling moves disappeared, and esoteric was forced to go back to basic dribbiling, because it wasn't as easy when a good defender was on you. in other words, when the function became required, the form diminished. which means that the form wasn't as impressive as it seemed.

so what i'm getting at here is that hex one's trying to impress us with his fancy multis, but, since these multisyllabic bars he's rapping have no meaningful content in them, the efforts he's trying to show off aren't nearly as hard as they look from the outside. just like with the globetrotters against the generals or esoteric on egoclapper. common, however. when you listen to common rapping multis, it is actually like kyrie crossing over klay thompson. it's difficult, it doesn't happen often, it's functional, but he makes it look easy when he does it. and that's the hardest thing to do in basketball. just like making the combination of multis and meaningful content sound natural is the hardest thing to do in rap. don't be fooled by meaningless multis. they're not hard to do.

and the thing is, even if some hex one fan comes in and says, "but 88, what hex says in this song over here is meaningful", it doesn't matter. because hex' show-off/no variation style of rhyming is so distracting, you can't even hear what he's saying, because the rhymes are so visible, they're distracting. you don't even notice the meaningful content if there is any, because the rhymes are too in-the-way. which is terrible. multis should be effortless/invisible, not distracting. that's what separates the amateurs from the pros.

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 2:04:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
^^^applies to crooked i, just as well as epidemic.

felipedahiphopadict01

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 2:23:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for felipedahiphopadict01
well i dont know bout epidemic but if you think is that easy to do what crooked i does, you should be getting gee i dont know a huge record deal spot on someone's song who is a big deal industry or putting together a fucking a supergroup allthat which crooked as accomplished since mad years ago, go get that paper 88

weed9

Total Posts: 105
posted Monday, November 05, 2018 2:28:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for weed9
K = mac dre mafioso

posted Monday, November 05, 2018 3:09:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i don't mean it's so easy that you and i could do it. i mean it's easy enough that any pro rapper could do it. but most pro rappers know that kind of rapping is reserved for dog shows, not serious artistry.

dR.prOf

Total Posts: 7390
posted Tuesday, November 06, 2018 1:38:24 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dR.prOf   Click Here to Email dR.prOf
Cosign 88's statement about technical emcees who lack subtlety and substance.

And after listening to some Crooked last night, I might add that he raps about some really dumb shit.

illspitter

Total Posts: 70
posted Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:35:06 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for illspitter
Cosign what 88 wrote. It's obvious when dudes have nothing to rap about or just as important, cannot flow. IMO Rugged Man falls in to the latter category. He has no naturel rhythm but has to lean on his rappedy-stappedy-backslap-happily schtick. I'd be much surprised if he could rap a Blueprint verse ('cause he often has very simple rhymepatterns and structure, but just flows so easy and natural) without going offbeat.

no masks

Total Posts: 1982
posted Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:51:05 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no masks
88 is right. many get too obsessed trying to prove themselves with multis and thinking its ALL about them that they dont realize they sound forced and awkward and sticking out like a gross obstruction.

Leo Duh

Total Posts: 559
posted Tuesday, November 06, 2018 11:35:39 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Leo Duh
crooked I is dope

if I want some inspiration to write some complex rhymes i'll listen to

crooked I
canibus
killah priest
ras kass

I don't believe there's such thing as a best rapper or best emcee

I like certain rappers depending on MY specific vibe

even beats too same shit

also who is Busdriver never heard of him post somethin

All times are ET. The time now is 6:29 PM.Post viewed 428 timesPage: 1