UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (57) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
The Alchemist Ė Bread Ep (2018)

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 96 replies
Page: 1 2
AuthorTopic:  The Alchemist Ė Bread Ep (2018)
no masks

Total Posts: 2379
Location: silly mo fo's mad cause i post lots of albums but if we relied on them to post, board would be dead
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:07:47 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no masks
on google play but got:

not available in your country yet

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bzgerz2vsgzcoflwmmksg75nznu&PAffiliateID=1011l496&PCamRefID=LFV_230410588757647a0a7293bb15a1c143

Partial IP: 3.252.2.47

tippi dink

Total Posts: 7970
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:09:25 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
i haven't heard the ep yet but all i know is that earl song is incredible

his album this friday is only going to be like 26 minutes long or something so i'll probably gonna add e.coli to the tracklist to make it longer lol

Partial IP: 224.194.89

no masks

Location: silly mo fo's mad cause i post lots of albums but if we relied on them to post, board would be dead
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:10:18 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no masks
found it:

no masks

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:23:24 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no masks
that earl leaked tippi. i should check that.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:28:39 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
oh shit, didn't know that. i'm definitely going to have that on repeat tonight.

CAP LORD

Total Posts: 21
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:37:47 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for CAP LORD
Cant wait....Copping doubles.

no masks

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:09:31 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no masks
Alc on point as usual. nice EP.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 11651
Location: Gayrilla Monsoon (Gino) X Gay Mysterio Jr. (Ollie) - All Up In That Butt
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:30:40 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
im on the 2nd track and rocs verse is insane.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Location: Gayrilla Monsoon (Gino) X Gay Mysterio Jr. (Ollie) - All Up In That Butt
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:38:33 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
incredible is the last word id use to describe the earl track. that beat is really dope but earl aint doin it for me. id rather gunn or roc slow flow over that.

cEe-CuT

Total Posts: 530
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:45:54 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for cEe-CuT
^^^ I agree, earl got the hottest beat on the ep ... imagine roc marci flowin over this one or the "ray mysterio" beat ... btw, "mac 10 wounds" sounds like a stu bangas production imo...

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:47:29 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
roc and black thought sounded like seasoned vets compared to gunn conway and earl b league raps. earl is fucking wack. the beats are gonna make or break his new bullshit and even then he sounds like a fried egg.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:53:14 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
idk gino you dont seem to like anything remotely close to earl's newer stuff so that makes sense

to me he's only getting better, line aren't overly complex but almost every single one of them packs a punch. the potency and impact is there imo, completely different approach in writing but it works for me

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:59:45 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
"My thoughts, dreams, plots, and my schemes
That's what's on my mind when I toss in my sleep
My heart like my pen when I jot and it bleed
My cart full of sin, when I shop it's a spree"

its lines like this that really hit me with their brevity, and there's similar moments in a lot of his recent stuff. hits me in the same way a lot of aesop's lines do, but it's a completely different style of lyricism

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:59:50 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
ive just accepted the fact that uve been incredibly generous with ur recs over the yrs but over time 1 outta 5 sticks. u love that type of stuff. earl just really annoys me. i think i have like 3-4 songs of his on my itunes outta like 4 projects that i like. he sounds like how he looks. very "downy" lol im just so rarely in a chill enough mood where i can appreciate that type of stuff, let alone like it and wanna re-visit. he clearly stands out on this ep to even tho hes been close with al for awhile. even the gunn verse i liked more.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:05:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
and alch is gunnin out here the same as ne other producer from statik to whoever. let ne other beat maker drop a 4 track ep like this and the stats will be similar. alch aint the goat.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:13:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
yeah i can't blame you for that, plus i understand that you purposely play up all of these opinions for dramatic/humorous purposes. i guess i'm a pretty chill/easy going person in general, and that's without drugs or anything. i just have a lot of patience and don't like to harbor hatred especially not towards things i don't feel i fully understand or never had a real attachment to in the first place. it's just not rewarding for me personally. with music, i'd rather try and find the "good" or consider the appeal & come to understand it better which usually makes me appreciate it more. thats just me though, and you're right that type of atmospheric/meditate music is definitely something i gravitate towards lol

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 4443
Location: Been a soldier since the stroller, ask my Momma if you doubt that. Homie, where ya clout at?
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:18:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
When I listened to I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside last night after Doris, at first I was a little disappointed, mostly with the production compared to the first album (haven't listened to either in over a year). The songs were really short too.

But the album grows and gets better as it moves on. The ending track with Vince Staples is flames. Faucet and Inside are also amazing. The only track I really don't like was Grief.

Earl is very skilled but it's best to read his lyrics while listening. It's due to the "downy" slur or drawl that he has...which when you read his lyrics, is done on purpose it seems - that DOOM influence that tippi talks about.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:26:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
man i was a fan when the video for "earl" dropped, keep in mind i'm only 2-3 years older than earl is. i was so excited to see what direction his career would go in.

after he came back and dropped doris i was pretty disappointed. i remember barely listening to that album for months after it came out and i don't even fully remember why. it just didn't grab me, it didn't seem nearly as technical from a rapping standpoint, the production was different, and that same energy he had on the first mixtape and the OF stuff was gone. but then one day it all clicked though, and his stuff from the last 4 years or so came across as deceptively meticulous rather than aimless. it felt intentional. i realized he's really trying to honor his father who was a south african poet laureate. i just read in a new interview yesterday that the album has basically been done since last year there's a track on the album where he included one of his fathers poems. he meant to send him the album hoping his father would appreciate what he did, but he never got the chance to because his dad passed away earlier this year. sad as fuck.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:27:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
also i really enjoyed i don't like shit, i don't go outside when it first dropped, but that album has grown on me a ton over the last few years. there's not a track on there i don't like.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:37:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
https://www.vulture.com/2018/11/interview-earl-sweatshirt.html

^ interview i was talking about in case anyone wants to read it, but here's part of it that kind of touches on the whole thought process

Youíre really calling it Some Rap Songs?
Yes, sir.

How did you arrive at that title?
Just the concept of brevity. Iíve become Ö Itís been made evident to me that Iíve become kind of obsessed with simplifying shit, which sometimes can lead to oversimplification. People take a lot of liberties, I feel like. Incomplete shit is really stressful to me, and the concept of unsimplified fractions is really stressful to me. So, with things like the album title, how I structure shit, and even how I write, it was really just like, What is this? The album title was kind of a response to that question.

Do you feel like people are gonna hear it and have that question?
Like, ďWhat is this?Ē

Itís a bit of a detour for you. Youíre getting a little bit closer to the thing ó like, the independent rap, early 2000s, ďWe didnít have a label; we did it ourselvesĒ kind of thing. I feel like there are going to be people who hear it expecting polish, who wonít get it.
Yeah. Iím anticipating that a little bit, but I hope what people take away is Ö I guess just brevity. Iím always trying to whittle this shit down Ö I have to be really thoughtful of what Iím doing. Music is a really powerful thing, and the people that I feel, like, get applauded for the subtlety are the people that care and are aware of the powerful shit that theyíre wielding. Iím aware of the fact that [Some Rap Songs] is kind of a hissing thing. Thereís a lot of technical imperfections. The track list has gotta be perfect, and the song gotta loop perfect, and I gotta exit before Ö I really dedicate a lot of myself to not over-rapping.

It makes me think about Dilla. He didnít program so cleanly. It was a lot of human time, and I feel like your approach to the lyrics and your approach to the production in this new stuff is getting toward that. It doesnít have to sit perfectly on beat, which is interesting because youíre a very technically sharp rapper, but it makes me more conscious of your lines when youíre not.
Exactly!

I think about the intentional line when I hear it kind of not sit where it was supposed to.
It takes the discourse up a notch. Itís not for the sake of exclusivity. Itís not to alienate anyone, but it does demand a kind of basic musical knowledge, whether itís intuitive or learned over time. Yeah, itís more human. Sometimes it takes people more time to get into that human bag. I always just revert back to when I was younger because thatís when you havenít learned so much, and all this bullshit hasnít become, like, calloused on your brain. I go off what would make me soar in my room by myself as a child. And itís often more complex than what youíll do sitting there taking yourself seriously as some smart adult. Just, like, some fucking technical wizard or scientist, you know what I mean?

It looks back to the experience of people just talking over drums. That stuff wasnít quantized, wasnít matched perfectly.
Automatically, what you do when youíre doing the Dilla thing, and you see what it makes people do, it makes people glitch. People that canít comprehend it, they flip the fuck out and then they have to like Ö box that shit. But itís a wavy line, not a linear, staccato thing.

It reminds me, in that respect, of the stuff that Dev Hynes is doing lately. I talked to him about the last album, and he said he was trying to get at this in-between keys feel, that doesnít feel like itís actually the right sound.
Itís been empowering to define whatís normal for me, because Ö I can get swept up in other peopleís shit. Like, if n*ggasí head bops at the show are too fucked-up, and I get too invested in it, like, youíre gonna fuck me up. Iím really an energy-sensitive person.

Iím curious you felt about the response to the new stuff you played at Camp Flog Gnaw.
Man, that shit was better than I expected. Performing in this little window of time while the album hasnít been out has been kind of difficult because I have had to muster up whatever to go out and say a lot of this pretty dated shit that I donít feel connected to. So, the new shit is always, like Ö very liberating for me. Itís closer to real time. It makes it easier for me to trust myself and put out energy thatís gonna get people energized more at a show. Iím just more present and not, like, rapping my way through some time.

Talk to me about feeling disconnected from your older raps. Is it difficult to perform stuff that you made when you were in an angrier place?
Yeah. Some of the stuff. I mean, Iím 24, bro. The shit that Iím performing spans from when I was 18 to now. So, thereís a difference in perspective and the information I had and the fuckiní attitude, the way I wrote even. You say you noticed the difference, how I wrote more technically? Iíve had to relearn some of these tongue twisters that I left for myself. So Iím really excited to be performing new shit, because it provides a more honest and whole picture of the person that is standing in front of people, because I can actually be myself in real time. I donít have hits to fall back on. I got to go into, like, a personal bag. So, I only rely on meaning what I say.

Nassau William Senior

Location: Been a soldier since the stroller, ask my Momma if you doubt that. Homie, where ya clout at?
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:39:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
The production on Doris has the Neptunes fingerprints all over it.

I'm not sure if I have ever really sat down and read all the credits and lyrics when listening to Doris. It really added to the experience.

I still feel that there was a higher level of production imo over I Don't Go Outside - but only because of all the talent involved - IDGO is just Earl beats. It felt like Earl was so popular off of his first album that he said "fuck it, I'm going to get all the production credits and all the production budget from the label". I was a little worried at first but Earl clearly was just trying to show off his other talent - making sick beats. He killed the production on IDGO, with the exception of Grief.

My fave off Doris

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:55:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
yeah maybe earl felt like he had to come out swinging and really go for something bigger with his first album after he got back from samoa. in that interview i posted he even talks about how he never knew how to handle his success especially since he wasnt around to experience it firsthand. there was the whole "free earl" thing and his mom was being harassed and shit for sending him away. in that context i can understand why he made the moves he did back then. he really was just a kid and had to "grow into" the fame.

i like earl's production a lot though, even the beat for grief lol. when a rapper like earl, aesop, has-lo or zeroh handles all the production on their own projects it adds more of a personal touch to it that i dig. the DIY approach was always cool to me though, finding a way to make it work even if you don't have the biggest budget or as many resources as some other artists.

you hear many of the earl features & loose tracks since "i don't like shit" or just the the main albums? i posted some in the other thread on here talking about this single, but i have a compilation i could send if you want

technosapien36

Total Posts: 387
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:01:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for technosapien36
I like tracks 2 and 4.

Nassau William Senior

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:02:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
no, pls send. i can't keep up with loosies anymore. i really think all artists should just put out albums. even if it's short and sweet.

chaddyp at live.com thx tip

kingetje

Total Posts: 86
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:05:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for kingetje
Am i the only one who's favorite beats on this are the Mac 10 Wounds? Jesus, like some late 90s/early 00s ALC shit. Bangin drums and eery alc piano keys and i'm fuckin sold. Same deal with the 97 Hov beat on the Benny album.

no masks

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:12:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no masks
alc should drop another album asap. give us 12 songs!

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:01:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
just sent it nws, let me know if u got it

no masks

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:10:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no masks
clock is gonna jizz

Nassau William Senior

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:26:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
yes, thanks tip. i will confirm tonight that the DL worked. love ughh. i couldn't keep up with 50-75% of the stuff without everyone's help.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:33:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
nice, yeah i can't see why it wouldn't work since it's just mediafire. fair warning though some of the songs in there aren't really CDQ studio recordings but theyre still pretty impressive imo. quest/power, wind in my sails, balance, hat trick, knucklehead, mirror, and high 6AM rambling at the 5th are some of my favorite tracks earl has ever done.

GRMPA

Total Posts: 1816
Location: Galactic Rap Music Program Association is a thirst trap
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 4:24:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for GRMPA   Click Here to Email GRMPA
Earl doin the opposite of everybody else. Itís spectacular. We lucky to have him. The album is something else oh boy.

The Alc is fantastic too. Roc verse is godly. Gino is even impressed, god damn.

wigga prerequisite

Total Posts: 232
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 5:58:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wigga prerequisite
earl sweatsock is trash

no masks

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:31:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no masks
^ is the earl worth no mask peepin?

ollie still ol' stinky!

technosapien36

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:35:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for technosapien36
I wish ALC would stop fuckin with Griselda. These dudes are trash.

no masks

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:42:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no masks
^haha- you tryin too hard my guy. hammer and vanilla ice were trash. conway, benny and gunn released lots of dope real shit. none are high level emcees but neither were many legends that put out classics in the 80's and 90's.

some dont know the deal.

see, this is the try hard shit on here- hatin on the benny etc. nit picking on dope albums and emcees that are legit real rap.

griselda is doing good shit in rap.

and after the shady deal, they havent softened or sold out one bit as many of us hoped they wouldnt.

Alc, knows what hes doing but thanks for your opinion dawg!lol

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:42:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
no mask, i think it's dope but there's a good chance you might not like it. i can picture you listening and coming back to say it was too subdued for you or something along those lines. worth checking out at the very least though, nothing to lose aside from 25 minutes of your time

no masks

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:48:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no masks
^so i'll give it a try tomorrow and i'll let you know man. hopefully its not my usual go to "subdued" verdict. haha

GRMPA

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:03:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for GRMPA   Click Here to Email GRMPA
There is literally no chance that no mask will like the Earl album

technosapien36

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:07:24 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for technosapien36
"griselda is doing good shit in rap."

LOL, no, they are doing the same thing over and over and over in rap. It's all opinion. If you dig it, then cool for you. I think they suck.

Decepticon_1_Galvatron

Total Posts: 1950
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:33:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Decepticon_1_Galvatron
^100% agreed

no masks

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:04:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no masks
^you 2 are trying too hard again.

Griselda came with some of the dopest beats the past few years and they all offer enough as emcees if you have range and real knowledge as a listener.. yall defending your brains controlling idols- roc and ka. trying to be the elite, superior ,picky, big judges of rap on here but you suck dick. bounce.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:07:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
idk how just having an honest opinion could be considered trying too hard

he said "It's all opinion. If you dig it, then cool for you"

not

"gunn and conway suck, if you like them you're a tasteless fgt who needs to get their ears checked asap"

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 43267
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:10:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Am i the only one who's favorite beats on this are the Mac 10 Wounds? Jesus, like some late 90s/early 00s ALC shit. Bangin drums and eery alc piano keys and i'm fuckin sold. Same deal with the 97 Hov beat on the Benny album.

Nah that's my favorite track too. Both beats are fucking bangers. This EP is top notch but such a tease, similar to how the Lunch Meat EP was earlier this year. When this ends up on Spotify im going to combine the two on a playlist. That Earl beat is hypnotic. Roc and Thought killed their track too. I wish that Hall and Nash album would drop already cause Alchemist makes average emcees sound great.

Nassau William Senior

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:14:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
i can't see why it wouldn't work

Um, do you not remember me begging you to send me a link to the Atmosphere - Overcast download that came with the vinyl...I asked once and you said yeah, I had to remind you and you said yeah, and then I just felt like you honestly decided, "nah, i don't like nws". i was a little hurt (not kidding) since i couldn't ask you a 3rd time without looking like a stan for atmosphere/slug/ant. even tho i bought the album from amazon, i emailed rhymesayers or fifth element, can't remember, and they came through. to this day, i don't know why u left an ughh wingman behind. but u have absolutely redeemed ur certificate of authenticity with me. earl brought us back together which is kind of dope.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:17:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
oh yeah that's fair, my bad

i think i was just caught up in some other shit at the time lmao

Nassau William Senior

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:19:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
There is literally no chance that no mask will like the Earl album

Almost spit up my Knob Creek

selah

Total Posts: 2118
Location: Reading comprehension is not the strong suit of the average ughhicite
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:20:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
NWS pwnt. Tippi asshole

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:31:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
shut yer whore mouth selah

selah

Total Posts: 2118
Location: Reading comprehension is not the strong suit of the average ughhicite
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:41:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:43:57 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
tell baloo if i see that fool i'm smackin the pegs out of his lite-brite

GRMPA

posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:47:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for GRMPA   Click Here to Email GRMPA
That was back in tippiís coke and hooker phase, people change

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 43267
posted Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:51:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx

All times are ET. The time now is 3:06 AM.Post viewed 1270 timesPage: 1 2
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: