UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (39) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
The Saga Continues Wu-tang Album- Oct. 13th

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 137 replies
Page: 1 2 3
AuthorTopic:  The Saga Continues Wu-tang Album- Oct. 13th
eseph84

Total Posts: 6031
posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 4:37:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
an es 1 singing hook?

Partial IP: 62.144.146

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37912
posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:35:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
So for heads that peeped it, what your ranking out of 10?

Ill check this out tomorrow. Read mixed reviews on it so far.

Partial IP: 73.63.89.4

no mask

Total Posts: 7916
posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:56:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^ i only kept 4 full tracks man and a few interludes, the intro. just bad beats mainly and those weak no name emcees and some singing hooks, a couple corny choruses. beats are just too clean, boring, not sample based enough.

5/10

worse than i expected.

they need to do a real clan album all produced by Bronze Nazareth.

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:59:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Sucks to hear. Ill give it a spin only cause i wanna hear the beats for myself cause you pretty much know what you're getting at this point with the group.

Total Posts: 16693
posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:01:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
not surprised people are saying this is meh. mathematics hasn't been a good producer in a long time, and this just seems like a quick money grab, in general. if it wasn't, you'd think more marketing would be happening with it. i don't see anyone talking about it in interviews or anything like that. i really don't understand why anyone was hyped about this one to begin with.

even with the half ass better tomorrow, they had a big press conference and interviews and everything. this one's just like, "here. take it. whatever."

Decepticon_1_Galvatron

Total Posts: 1689
posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:01:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Decepticon_1_Galvatron
Some of that lo fi shit sounds real amateur.
They are like a parody of themselves now.

Mef came correct though.

Rest is mostly grandpas.

Monev360

Total Posts: 2
posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:12:25 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Monev360
I'm looking forward to that wu album. 18 is a good number of songs too.

Partial IP: 10.231.162

marley cowboy

Total Posts: 33
posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:13:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for marley cowboy
jahlove

Partial IP: 5.37.76.81

no mask

posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:17:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
meth was dope on it. GZA's 8 bar verse was cool but flow was a bit shaky.

ATTN RZA: go back to the ASR and also get beats from muggs, bronze etc. Go back to the beginning and bring that enter the 36 pt.2 type shit!

soy_titooo

Total Posts: 119
posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:08:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for soy_titooo
Album is in spotyify already... I will listen to it tomorrow (it's too late here in Europe now).

Based on the 2 singles we had and looking at the roster of features I don't have too many hopes.

88 is right saying Mathematics didn't do anything really dope since a while (The Answer?).
Also the short notice to announce the album can help you guess that this is just RZA milking the cow and not an album where eveyr member is trying their best. Two of the members are not even on the album...

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:12:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Through the first 4 tracks (not including intro and skit), 3 are dope and Fast and Furious blows dicks. I was initially indifferent on the beat on If Time Is Money until Method came on and did his thing. Glad it was a Method Man solo track.

no mask

posted Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:15:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^yeah, it took me surprise too and i was like shit is meth holding this whole track down. meth is the "star" on the album. Ghost sounds like his voice is gone, Rae is whatever as usual, Gza still sounds grumpy.

NightRider

Total Posts: 360
posted Friday, October 13, 2017 3:20:12 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for NightRider
Quite impressed by "The Saga Continues", it's still has some "A Better Tomorrow" vibe which I like...
Solid album definitely, top 10 easily.

Still have to do some more listening...

Seme__one

Total Posts: 1287
posted Friday, October 13, 2017 4:13:42 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
first world problems

LEX718

Total Posts: 686
posted Friday, October 13, 2017 11:02:13 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for LEX718
I feel like production-wise its a little front heavy. The beats kinda thinned out towards the back end of the album with the exception of the final track (before the message and Rza's outro). Lyrically it's pretty solid. And I was happy to hear Gza and Masta Killa show up despite not being on the tracklist. I also liked the skits, particularly the ones with Rza verses. I think I'll end up pulling the trigger on this.

the weatherman (Admin)

Total Posts: 21559
posted Friday, October 13, 2017 11:04:13 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for the weatherman
this is way better than I thought it would be after reading some of the comments here. I think the only track that I didn't like upon first listen is fast and furious...and even thought I thought the beat was alright.

meth went in on here...so glad he's on the most tracks. seems like he's gotten better with age, which is crazy. he still sounds polished and hungry which is unlike most of the rest of the clan. math actually did a good job on the production for the most part. I liked a lot of the samples and loops way more than I thought I would when they first dropped....lesson learn'd, pearl harbor, people say, frozen, if time is money, hood go bang, my only one...those all came out really dope.

after hearing it once my only regret is that this wasn't a proper wu album because with a bit of polish and striving for it to be an actual group album I think they could have hit it out of the park.

eseph84

posted Friday, October 13, 2017 11:06:38 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
i give it 6 outta ten, i don't hate it as much as some do here, but could've been so much better, too. lol this is a wu tang clan cold case files

forensics

Total Posts: 30
posted Friday, October 13, 2017 3:48:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for forensics
its a 7/10 off 3 full listens

people say - 4.5
lesson learned - 4.75
my only one - 4.75/5
why why why - 4.5
if time is money - 4.5
pearl harbor - 4.25

fast and furious - 3.75
frozen - 3.5
hood go bang - 4
rzas solo song split over the intro/outro/midtro - 4

only weak tracks are if what you say is true because the beat is very bland and boring and gd up for the weak verse from dude r-mean and horrible singing on the track. if you cut gd up off after raekwons hook its salvageable

album is SOLID as fuck. beats are VERY dope but are all midtempo 90 bpm stuff. I know exactly what mathamatics and rza meant when they said its a mix between 36 chambers and 2001 by dre. its vibe beat wise is very similar to a better tomorrow with the soul tracks but to me this is much better done.

eseph84

posted Friday, October 13, 2017 4:23:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
yeah its growing on me on the second full listen. redman and meth killin shit, rae has one of the smoothest styles ever. ghost didnt lose his voice, math just used some poorly mixxed verses from ghost imo, his shit usually sounds way better imo.

i feel we here are too quick to judge an album off one listen, remember before music wasn't so oversaturated and we kept whole albums in our collection in their entirety and then all of a sudden days/weeks/months down the road it all of a sudden clicked??

what i'm getting at guys is god we bitch too much, don't listen enough. we should just sit back and enjoy this stuff and be thankful a lot of our childhood hero emcees are still alive and healthy enough to make the music we all love. peace!

dj rolo

Total Posts: 2969
posted Friday, October 13, 2017 6:51:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
i'm bout to return this to the store....this is a Wu-Tang album? soft-ass beats, terrible choruses, too much singing,no Gza? no U-God? production is fk'n horrible....smh

RIP Wu-Tang

greg_h._valentine

Total Posts: 3072
posted Friday, October 13, 2017 8:32:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for greg_h._valentine
This is not a Wu-Tang album. I wonít consider an official Wu album until these guys all get in studio together with RZA and work together. These patch work albums arenít official in my book. Laying down verses and piecemealing them together makes a non cohesive product. How fucking busy are these guys at this point? Get together in a house for a month and give the fucking fans what they deserve. I never thought I would say this about my favorite hip hop group of all time, but Iím done supporting bullshit. Give the die hard heads what we deserve!!!

Decepticon_1_Galvatron

posted Friday, October 13, 2017 10:15:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Decepticon_1_Galvatron
Genius is on it.

forensics

Total Posts: 30
posted Friday, October 13, 2017 10:43:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for forensics
Dude said he was gon return it to the store cause no gza

Guess you didnt listen to the album then huh?

Album is very solid. Shitting on it after 2 listens? Take ya riddilin... microwave food; comic book reading, texting while driving ass somewhere else

Theres plenty of good joints on here. Combine the best of this with the best of abt and the single cuts like dont stop and savor wavs and you got yaself a nice wutang project.

Theres like 4 songs on here that can be labeled eh.:. The rest are certified dope.

Too much singing with 3 tracks... theres more singing on 36 chambers and cuban linx than there is here. The beats are DOPE. Soul samples, lush and atmospheric.

Album Mixed by mike dean btw and it sounds lush as fuck. Fly navigation got meth going off like its 95 with doper lines than hes dropped in a while.

Redman goes off. Deck goes off. Rae goes off. Rza goes off. Cap and ghost go OFF on my only one...

Its always the backpackers and the euro wu fans who hate on wu the most (here and wucorp) while the r st of the hiphop intermet takes it for what it is, a good project that will hold us over until the next TRUE wu project.

This like chamber musik; legendary weapons amd wu massacre with more wu and less guests

It has 3 features by nobodies... and 2/3 kill their verses (high hef ane chris rivers).

The beats are def good, way better than the 2 mathamatics beats on a better tomorrow thats for sure. Math only produced a handful of songs on the clan albuks (do you really on the w, rules on iron flag, stick me flr my riches(classictome) on 8d, We will fight and keep watch on abt) and minus one of those tracks, 75 percent of this album is better than those songs. Math has produced many classics for the solos but this is his best group work by far.

dR.prOf

Total Posts: 5833
posted Saturday, October 14, 2017 5:26:45 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dR.prOf   Click Here to Email dR.prOf
Came here to say what forensics said about g'd up...i went from loving it and thinking, "i hope they dont ruin this dope meth song with a feature or singer" to wondering how i should edit those things out.

It's really, really nice to hear solid production that fits the Wu sound. So glad they went with one producer, and Math stepped up with flying colors

Otherwise i agree with most of the negative stuff. Meth definitely shines though

Soft, awkward choruses just wont go the fuck away in rap...

soy_titooo

Total Posts: 119
posted Saturday, October 14, 2017 1:47:17 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for soy_titooo
I was quick to rate the album as average at best after the first listen but I gotta admit that I totally agree with what eseph84 said:

"I feel we here are too quick to judge an album off one listen, remember before music wasn't so oversaturated and we kept whole albums in our collection in their entirety and then all of a sudden days/weeks/months down the road it all of a sudden clicked??"

I think the man is right. Nowadays we got so much music that we don't let any album grow on us and discover the hidden gems that you appreciate on beats it lyrics after listening it at least 10 times.

We are too focused on making our own list of the best album of the month/year to then stop listening those albums within months.
How many of you thought Iron Flag or The W were wack after the first listen but appreciate the quality of those albums more now that back in the day?

Yes it doesn't sound like a Wu album from the 90's. Yes, you can tell that some of the members try way harder on their solo projects than on the last Wu albums. And yes it doesn't feel like a Wu album but like a Wu compilation album... But it's way better than what I thought after the first listen even if it's not as good as the first Wu albums

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:34:25 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Still haven't finished but listened from the start again through the first 13 tracks.

First ill go with my gripes. Fast and Furious and G'd up are auto skip, recycle bin tracks. The beat on Frozen is cool but halfway through it gets boring. Wish there were some switch ups besides the same loop. Sean P's verse on Pearl Harbor was pretty meh but overall that song is great. Those horns are DAFFY.

Why Why Why is the first dope Rza solo track I've heard in years and years. Nice storytelling bars and fucking with that beat. If What You Say Is True one of, if not the best track on here up to that point. To me that's what i wanna hear on a Wu album in 2017. As others have said, Method Man is the star of the album so far. He still sounds hungry and his classic voice and flow can make even the most generic of beats sound great.

no mask

posted Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:35:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^ some truth to espehs insightful comments but its pretty generalizing as most of it dependent upon the person listening and not automatically attributed to all listeners. I dont rush too judge albums and i only complain cause the bar needs to be kept high and i have standards. i also am a rap junkie that likes to listen and pick apart albums. its good to be critical and be about that quality control. for each there own. not to say everybody has a valid, knowledgeable, credible opinion BUT whatever.

i heard it 5 times and its boring, weak choruses, beats are too soft,melodic/played piano/synth strings, non sample based, too clean, weak drums.

guest features of non wu members were butt.

some boring interludes.

fake "wu-tang" (non WU TANG CLAN)project knocks is down a notch too with way to little verses from GZA, deck, rae etc. no u-god.

i gotta say my prediction was spot on:

i predict it will be good (an improvement from a better tomorrow) but just good. probably will sound too polished(not sounding raw or dusty etc) with pseudo raw soulful beats. probably with weak drums plus bogged down by a few singing choruses and no name rappers.

NightRider

Total Posts: 360
posted Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:55:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for NightRider
"My Only One" on Fallon

Partial IP: 12.232.171

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Saturday, October 14, 2017 3:27:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Hood Go Bang - Pretty generic, bland beat and hook is terrible.

My Only One - Fuck is up with Wu and these shitty singing hooks? They need to go find Tekitha and have her show these dickheads how to properly sing a Wu hook. Beat is ok.

Overall it was better than i thought it'd be. Id give it a 6.5/10 and i initially said it'd be a 5/10. Too many skits/interludes, some generic beats, and questionable hooks. On the plus side, it was much better than A Better Tomorrow. The core Wu emcees on here all sounded good. Wish there would've been more Masta Killa and Gza presence.

Paper Piff And Polo

Total Posts: 708
posted Saturday, October 14, 2017 7:55:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Paper Piff And Polo
Wu-Tang Forever!
Meth
Rae
Ghost
O.D.B
U-God
Deck
Meth
StreetLife
Cappadonna
Mathmatics
Not Cilvarings tho

Paper Piff And Polo

Total Posts: 708
posted Saturday, October 14, 2017 7:59:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Paper Piff And Polo
I forgot Masta Killa

Decepticon_1_Galvatron

posted Sunday, October 15, 2017 7:35:25 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Decepticon_1_Galvatron
I just remembered that DJ Prince Paul killed all the NY competition this year for free.

mroptik

Total Posts: 16
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 10:18:05 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for mroptik
Waiting to listen to the album, but I feel like RZA is just sitting on the sidelines and waiting for someone else to do all the work and then jump on and take credit, like with the Cilvarings album and Mathematics producing this one

Partial IP: 179.214.25

eseph84

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 10:42:43 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
yeah, its coo for what it is, i won't trade in the cd nor do i regret making the purchase. YES the singing hooks were ass (i could do better, right sc?!). YES - we all wish we could've had more verses on the album from all the members we love (i.e. gza, deck, masta killa, etc.) but meth & red did not disappoint. YES it does sound too pieced together to be a true wtc album, but MATH did his thing for the most part

everyone made valid points as to why they like/dislike what they do and i respect yall for that.

i agree with clock that why, why, why is the best rza in years. i used to think he was such a lyrical genius. he needs to only rap on tracks with serious subject matter or he gets real goofy lol like glocko pop

i feel like this album will knock really good in the winter time

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 9:55:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Shame that in a week or two ill probably never listen to this album the rest of my life, save for 3 or 4 tracks.

JSteez1

Total Posts: 3
posted Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:29:22 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for JSteez1
A lot of opinions on here. Not sure if mine holds any weight...

My overall rating of the album so far: 7/10 stars.

Some beats are boring and forced. Unlike some folks here, I actually think the track Fast and Furious is good.
It is better than the LP "A Better Tomorrow", which I found to be awful.Here's my ranking:

Lesson Learn'd: 4/5 (Ins Deck kills it! Redman's chorus is cheesy, IMO).
Fast and Furious: 3/5
If time is money: 2/5 (boring beat, IMO)
Frozen: 4/5 (dope beat!)
Pearl Harbor: 4/5
People Say: 4.5/5
Why Why Why: 4.75/5 (Rza redeemed himself on this track)
G'd up: 1/5 (borrring!)
If what you say is true: 4.5/5 (Masta Killa added a smooth quality to the beat)

Hood go bang: 3/5 (a bit cheesy, but solid)
My only one: 4/5 (the raps are ill, but the singing is monotonous)

Math's beats are solid. But overall I was disappointed that this wasn't an actual Wu album...missed U-God! Samples of Gza aren't enough, he wasn't represented thoroughly.

Over time my opinion could change, it depends on my mood and circumstance.

are u ready

Total Posts: 315
posted Thursday, October 19, 2017 12:41:26 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for are u ready
22366553_10156751533724867_3402992258003817582_n

All times are ET. The time now is 10:59 AM.Post viewed 2487 timesPage: 1 2 3
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: