Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (160) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
How Long Should It Take An Emcee To Finish A Project?

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 15 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  How Long Should It Take An Emcee To Finish A Project?
Dyme Secta

Total Posts: 135
posted Sunday, November 05, 2017 11:45:45 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Dyme Secta
How much time should an emcee who self produces with other life
responsibilities spend on creating quality projects a year? Later.

- dymesecta

Partial IP: 224.194.89

tippi dink

Total Posts: 4945
posted Sunday, November 05, 2017 12:04:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
however long it takes, and it all depends on the artist. some artists like ka or open mike eagle have families and real careers or do other things outside of music yet are still able to put out albums every 1-2 years, but for some it might take 4 years.

you also gotta consider the possibility that an artist could be working on multiple projects at the same time collaborating with other artists. it definitely shouldn't take 10+ years to put out a project though, like it has for jay electronica or despot.

when it comes down to it, i'd rather have an artist put out an incredible project every 3 years than one decent one every year, because if that project is good enough and has replay value it'll last me until the next album comes out anyway.

Mental Patient UGHH Artist

Total Posts: 3416
posted Sunday, November 05, 2017 12:53:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Mental Patient
Depends what you're going for. Internet, soundcloud, product for sale.

Goodluck.

I used to create and release CDs to retail every year.

Now I attempt to make one quality/timeless album every two years.

All my works on amazon.com and iTunes.

Personally I like artists who drop music every 2 years.

Too much I don't even check for.

Too little I yearn for releases.

Add a family and children it slows down more.

I saw you excited about writing, I encourage you to release an album.

SC1989

Total Posts: 1668
posted Sunday, November 05, 2017 1:08:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
Depanding on the Mood and who the Emcee is.
Grimm made The Downfall of Ibliys: A Ghetto Opera in a day and shit was alright!

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37793
posted Sunday, November 05, 2017 1:23:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
30 days or less.

Tadow

Total Posts: 551
posted Sunday, November 05, 2017 3:59:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Tadow
hey Crumple...can i get a free cd?

Mental Patient UGHH Artist

Total Posts: 3416
posted Sunday, November 05, 2017 4:47:50 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Mental Patient
Tadow - Send me $5us for shipping and I will. Hit up my twitter.

no mask

Total Posts: 7663
posted Sunday, November 05, 2017 5:02:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
- dymesecta (Platform 28's brother)

Tadow

Total Posts: 551
posted Monday, November 06, 2017 1:02:55 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Tadow
lol, awesome. i'm busy as fuck tomorrow. i'll be on the road all day but i'll hit you up Tuesday about it

Lit Jagger

Total Posts: 2275
Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Monday, November 06, 2017 1:52:18 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
In the 90s rappers put out albums every year now it's like every 3 years

Total Posts: 16533
posted Monday, November 06, 2017 12:44:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
can't speak on rapping, but, in my experience with writing, the best thing to do is plan/outline for a long time, write it all in one sitting, and then edit/polish it for a long time. the thing that most people neglect is typically the plan/outline stage. some even skip the edit/polish stage, and think they've written a masterpiece after the first draft. idiots.

advice from ernest hemmingway: "write drunk, edit sober". very good advice, imo.

anyone that gives you an actual length of time as advice is giving you bullshit.

Total Posts: 16533
posted Monday, November 06, 2017 12:48:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
the hardest part in my experience is letting it go. saying it's "done". i've been editing a story for two years now, lol. it'll never be done. the worst part about this behaviour is it hinders you from moving onto the next big project.

see: q-tip's entire career for a hip hop example.

Phatbeets

Total Posts: 11546
Location: While everyone was looking up at the sun, i was looking at the birds and cats and insects going cray
posted Monday, November 06, 2017 1:34:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Phatbeets
^ good post

LEX718

Total Posts: 644
posted Monday, November 06, 2017 1:57:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for LEX718
There is no right or wrong amount of time. People's personalities are different as well as their lives. When I look at dudes like Mach, Fahim, etc. I admire their ethic to mass produce and maintain a certain level of quality. It's inspiration to see cats churning out work. But at the same time as a listener, I don't even want to check out another album from them cause there are so many other artists I'm looking forward to hearing shit from. Like when I heard OC was gonna drop his second phase of Same Moon Same Sun the fan in me was excited cause he's one of my favorite rappers. But on the other hand at this point I'm hoping it comes out next year. The first one and his joint with Apathy was enough to keep me satisfied. Same with Rosebudd 2 and Medellin 2 and Roze's Channel 13, I can wait for all of those next year. I love Da Buze Bruvaz but I hope their next shit doesn't drop too soon cause I'm still ingesting the 2 albums they released this year. Even Crimeapple. I love all of his EPs. But I'm hoping he caps it and works on a full length for a little while.

I think 2 albums a year is the limit for me. So much shit is turned around all the time that if every artist I liked did one every 2 or 3 years, I'd be satisfied.

no mask

Total Posts: 7663
posted Monday, November 06, 2017 2:05:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^true 88 and that perfectionist shit with q-tip hurt him as an artist imo.

how long should it take an emcee to take a shit?

silly question for many reasons. its so vague, subjective and general.i mean if an emcees working 60 hour weeks, has 3 kids, a social life and other hobbies how long should it take? 8 years? largely depends on how grand the (album) undertaking is and lifestyle/ life circumstances of the emcee. and how bad his writers block can get. but the active word in the op is "should" and the answer to that is : as long as it takes to get it done properly.

Dyme Secta

Total Posts: 135
posted Monday, November 06, 2017 5:04:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Dyme Secta
10 projects in 10 years is a nice bench mark. Plus the numbers are cool.

tippi dink - You're right every 3 years is reasonable.

Mental Patient - If you don't mind please share more about the process of
releasing music to retail then to now. Thanks for the quality information.

SC1989 - True that makes good sense.

Clockworx - Light work. That's real.

Lit Jagger - Is it political or is something else the cause?

88 - If you don't mind at a later time please share more about the process
of writing a book. Tight work sir.

LEX718 - Valuable statements good looking out on sharing.

no mask - Fascinating perspective. Nah that's not my brother that person
is not Ace Swift.

Should is a useful word when making distinctions. An acceptable
response is Why should it? Should or shouldn't statements are
necessary. Communication and debate is okay. Later.

- dymesecta

Partial IP: .88.181.94

All times are ET. The time now is 8:15 AM.Post viewed 349 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: