UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (42) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Geto Boys Vs N.w.a.

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 21 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Geto Boys Vs N.w.a.
felipedahiphopadict01

Total Posts: 122
posted Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:16:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for felipedahiphopadict01
i know itīs kinda a sin but i hadnīt heard getto boys till recently and all i really have to say...i dammit they were fuckin insane better than N.W.A. in my humble opinion... so how do you feel about this?

Partial IP: 62.144.146

Lit Jagger

Total Posts: 2275
Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:23:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Both wack . Rap didn't get good till 93

Paper Piff And Polo

Total Posts: 749
posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 12:31:34 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Paper Piff And Polo
Album for album Geto Boys cause N.W.A techincally only put out 2 albums but N.W.A def had a bigger impact obviously but Scarface can rap better then Cube, Ren and Dre and Eazy(r.i.p) so thats a tough one kinda

Bluestratoss

Total Posts: 677
posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 1:46:01 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Bluestratoss
Bushwick and eazy e are pretty much the same person with different eyes, who both couldn't rap and had the rest of the crew write their lyrics

no mask

Total Posts: 7956
posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 3:10:23 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
easily GB's.

GB's had way more variance in subject matter and had that conscious aspect of their rhymes content where NWA was just like kill a n*gga, slap a bitch, drink some 8 ball.

GB's catalogue kills nwa's too.

Ren, cube were dope and dre on production is major but short lived group with no substance.

vinnny blanc

Total Posts: 5901
posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 11:18:02 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for vinnny blanc
Willie d would beat the shit out of all of them at once

Bluestratoss

posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 11:48:04 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Bluestratoss
Nah I dunno, fill dres belly up with tanquaray and put a wig on willy... Dee would be down the stairs on his ass

Seme__one

Total Posts: 1293
Location: I hate this board that's why I post here most days.
posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 2:13:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
at first I thought its an apples and oranges comparison, but its a bit deeper and not a bad question

but how to compare? As pointed out NWA only got the 2 albums, last one dropped in 91' compared to Geto Boys 9 LPs last one in 04? I think....

anyway for contribution/impact NWA easily takes it, its hard to put their sheer massive shift and impact on Hip Hop in context, Geto Boys had their moments and got most of their notoriety from the necrophilia, NWA REALLY put Gangsta rap and West Coast let alone Compton on the map, easy NWA win....NWA smashed the door in Geto Boys etc. could then follow

musically Geto Boys got some great tracks throughout their whole discog and mainly with the Willie D Bushwick face line up, Mind Playin' Tricks their breakthrough hit, but NWA got Fuck Tha Police, Straight Outta Compton, Gangsta Gangsta....these are just HUGE songs that influenced outside of Hip Hop, on their follow up Alwayz into Somethin' set the whole G funk blueprint...shit NWA birthed the whole Deathrow influence

Geto Boys and Rap a Lot put Houston on the map, and they got a crazy roster of artists, but its way more confined to Hip Hop, they are great and I am a huge fan but they are not in the same league of setting musical trends and launching artists

content wise I agree the nihilism of NWA is a lot more constricted then the wide variety of Geto Boys content, again its a mis match and reflected in the small amount of actual music, but really where would NWA have gone from EfilRofZaggin's content, more of the same? Geto Boys have switched it up, NWA we will never know

tbh I was surprised NWA still managed another album after Cube left, and its prolly my favorite of the 2, but their first is and sounds an 80's LP

members wise, they both got great MC's in Face, Cube and Bill, entertainment and charisma wise Eazy and Bill, production wise NWA had Dre in his prime....what they both display is so much charisma as crews

solo wise Amerikkas most, Eazy Duz It vs The Diary, Little Big Man...they are all so different I can't really compare

I love both crews and cant really see how you can compare them they are so different in a lot of aspects, but the sheer brutal impact of Straight Outta Compton changed Hip Hop and music in a way none of the GB's LP's ever did

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 2120
Location: Hot box, handsome on a hill, watchin' night lights stretch. A Los Angeles journalist like Fletch.
posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 2:30:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
One group changed the world forever. The other group changed no mask into a wgr netcee. I think we all know who the winner is...

I looked for the Geto Boys family tree...nothing came up.

Partial IP: 97.213.158

Seme__one

Total Posts: 1293
Location: I hate this board that's why I post here most days.
posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 2:33:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
One group changed the world forever

^ should have just typed THIS'

Bluestratoss

posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 3:01:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Bluestratoss
That line diagram above is disrespectful to dj yella!!!! why doesn't he have any dotted line connected to his head like the others???

Damn that's blasphemy, they could have at least did one dotted line connecting to kokane

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 3056
posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:23:24 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
technically griselda would be part of that tree now

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:49:08 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
tree is also missing d 12

Partial IP: 43.230.209

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37935
posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:35:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Influence on society and culture it's NWA easily.

Discog vs discog it's a little more difficult but id still go with NWA. Chronic and Chronic 2001 along with Cube's 3 classic albums damn near impossible to beat no matter how deep Face's discog goes along with Willie and Bushwicks efforts.

Partial IP: 73.63.89.4

mAdkAp

Total Posts: 3370
Location: i'mma hot boy - so i 'mma get it how i live.CHYEAAA
posted Friday, September 22, 2017 2:04:49 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for mAdkAp
Imapact & movement - NWA

my personal taste - Geto Boys.

NWA had people like Kurt Cobain/Axl Rose listening to them the same way PE did.They were hip-hop 100% but the movement/fan base transended it.

no mask

posted Friday, September 22, 2017 4:10:22 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
if its nwa vs. gb's- solo shit not included then gb's takes it. better group, better catalogue, more substance.

dope solo albums:

cube- 4 albums
dre- 2
eazy-1
ren-1

scarface- 4
willie d-2
bushwick- 1

nwa solos takes it.

as far as impact its nwa.

Lit Jagger

Total Posts: 2275
Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Friday, September 22, 2017 4:29:51 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
That Ren album was wack even though it went platinum and Eazy has 2 classic albums

no mask

posted Friday, September 22, 2017 6:13:13 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
rens "kizz my black ass" ep was dope though. your saying "its on 187 um killa" is classic? maybe to some.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 22, 2017 6:18:16 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
im just gonna re-hash wat people already said but nwa of course had wayyyy more impact but scarface is legit the king of the south. id take scarface and easy e and the rest can go scratch. willie d is alright but im not counting that family tree thing. but i do like a bunch of ice cube solos.

Partial IP: 43.230.209

no mask

posted Friday, September 22, 2017 6:35:06 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
scarface probably the most respected then any of them from both groups. best solo discog, most longevity, best artistic integrity.

if only one group could have ever existed which would you pick?

im sayin GB's. they had a large impact too, more dope albums, more varying subject matter. but nwa has the better solos for sure. to me thats the only way nwa was better-solos (including post nwa releases). sure the metal heads and rockers were bumping nwa and thaats cool but not much of a determining factor for who was better.

you see me making my case. i love the gb's. they started horrorcore (chuckwick), advanced the level of gangsta rap but also had conscious songs that were pretty positive.

felipedahiphopadict01

Total Posts: 122
posted Saturday, September 23, 2017 10:23:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for felipedahiphopadict01
i´;m not talkin about their reputation or impact i´;m talkin strictly talkin about the quality of their albums and their solo stuff

as fars as group i´;d say is a tie but face has at least 5 incredible albums while cube has only 3

of course yall know how i feel about dre but even so, i gotta say getto boys is
the better contender in my opinion

hh

Total Posts: 9481
Location: MARKETING RESEARCH SHOWS THAT DUMB PEOPLE ONLY LOVE WHAT THEY THINK IS RIDICULE-SAFE
posted Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:21:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for hh
Two of the best groups of all time. As for influence, NWA hands down. Musically, it's pretty close but as a group, GB put out more material that was all dope. GB's music also got a lot deeper than NWA's. I still listen to both regularly but mostly Scarface these days.

All times are ET. The time now is 2:04 PM.Post viewed 630 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: