Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (32) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Aesop Rock?

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 38 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Aesop Rock?
dingleberrymercenary

Total Posts: 2123
posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:23:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dingleberrymercenary
Just got Done Revisiting and listening to this..

Honestly who would Rate Aesop Rock in there top 20 list?
also what's his best Cd/work?
Is it me or this dude just sais Random words here and there Honestly his Music isn't my Cup of tea..but I've heard peeps on here saying his new cd the impossible kid is very Good?

Partial IP: 224.194.89

Total Posts: 17744
posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:32:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i've never been a fan *shrugs

tippi dink

Total Posts: 6149
posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:51:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
essay time

aesop rock is my favorite rapper, and i believe he's one of the greatest lyricists of all time. i can understand why his music can be offputting at first though or why some people wouldn't like it. he's got a unique voice and style, and he's remained consistent across his entire career. i don't think he's ever put out a bad album, and has released some of his best stuff in his late 30s/early 40s when most rappers start to fall off a bit around that age. i'm a fan of his dense lyricism and i definitely don't think he's just spitting gibberish, you just have to pay attention to what he's saying and focus on the imagery. it's all open to interpretation though, and i think that's the whole point. i think most what aes says on this tracks has meaning to him, even if you don't get anything out of it the first time you listen to it. it also helps if you understand some of the references he's making. his production has improved a ton over the years as well, and his lyricism has become much more direct compared to his earlier work. on The Impossible Kid, i think it's much easier to grasp the general theme of most of the tracks on first listen.

here's the recent thread discussing the impossible kid you want to look at it.

https://www.undergroundhiphop.com/forums/readpost.asp?Forum=Common&Whichpage=1&QuestionID=2943325

i think the key to enjoying his music is to not worry about what heís trying to communicate to the listener and instead focus on what themes, messages, and ideas you can personally take from his music yourself because he seems like the type of artist that makes art for themselves first and foremost. sure, he might give you few clues but for the most part he leaves it up to the listener to put together however they choose to. to me itís not necessarily about the meaning that the words have on their own but rather the overall picture that they paint. itís like stumbling across a half-completed jigsaw puzzle and trying to finish it, except the box is missing so you donít know what itís supposed to be yet or even if all the pieces are there. some people might see that as a fun challenge while others would see it as a waste of time. yeah, his lyrics can be cryptic. sure, thereís probably some lines in his songs that he added just because they sounded dope to him, especially on some of his earlier albums like Music For Earthworms or appleseed. some people like to understand every line as soon as they hear it and thatís understandable, but heís shown his skills as more of a straight-forward story teller many times with tracks like No Regrets, The Harbor Is Yours, Grace, Ruby 81, Blood Sandwich, and Mars Wins.

iím definitely not trying to say that his music is good just because itís abstract, complex, and esoteric or because he uses big, fancy words. i also donít even care about that pointless study that said he had the largest vocabulary in hip hop. thatís meaningless to me. itís always been his overall style, and the way that he actually uses those words that has interested me - almost like lyrical collage. I get it though, A lot of people prefer music that takes complex ideas and themes and condenses them into something thatís easily comprehensible and doesnít require much effort to understand. Aesop just takes the opposite approach, since most of the time heís just taking relatively simple concepts and ideas or his own personal experiences and smashing them together with metaphors and references to the point where the message becomes almost unrecognizable.

i get it though, a lot of people prefer music that takes complex ideas and themes and condenses them into something thatís easily comprehensible and doesnít require much effort to understand. aesop just takes the opposite approach, since most of the time heís just taking relatively simple concepts and ideas or his own personal experiences and smashing them together with metaphors and references to the point where the message becomes almost unrecognizable.

tl;dr i think aes is one of the best to do it, but he's very much a "love him or hate him" type of artist and if you don't dig his music, i can respect that.

some more direct/straightforward storytelling tracks he's done:

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:55:02 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
damn i copy pasted the same text from notepad twice somehow, oh well. but yeah aesop rock fucking sucks, nerd rap bullshit.

s-agent

Total Posts: 3878
posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:03:35 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for s-agent
Aesop is probably my favorite MC as well. I've been listening to this guy from the beginning of his career. I also agree with Tippi that he can be taught to get into....

Personally I fell in love with because of his wordplay. He's unique and follows his own beat. For me, his earlier stuff is my favorite (Float, Labor Days, and most tracks from Appleseed and Earthworms)...Bazooka Tooth was dope but marked a drastic change in his style for me, but also started to boast his production skills.

His last 2 albums are excellent. Aesop's early material before Bazooka Tooth and his last 2 albums is how I like Aesop to sound. Not to take away from anything he does, because I like it all...

5th point

Total Posts: 901
posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:16:15 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
Top 3 for me, agree with tippi. Also hes put on hands down the best show ive been to.

Aes, busdriver, hail mary mallon and they all killed it

dj rolo

Total Posts: 4203
posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:22:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
seen Aes a few times live, dude is hella talented

NoHeadlights

Total Posts: 55167
Location: Alot of y'all bitches like fucking ngas with no clout
posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:28:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for NoHeadlights
Blockhead beats

no mask

Total Posts: 9917
posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:41:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
i remember when he debuted on the radio with doseone and the gang or it was close to when he debuted around '97.

he's very dope for many reasons but hes basically a one trick pony style wise and his style of writing is so convoluted and dense that many cant grasp what hes trying to get across. i dont have problems getting him but i find he gets hard to listen too after a bit and lacks replay value although what he releases is always next level and dope and creative. if he would switch his style up way more often i would be more into hearing him.

dj rolo

posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:04:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
^word no mask, i still have an original Appleseed i got from when he sold CDr's off "aesoprock.com", i missed Earthworms by a day...sold out and you can't find an original of that today. but those first two records are hella dope...even Float, on MUSH

no mask

Total Posts: 9917
posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:12:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^float is so dope and i grabbed it up when it dropped. him and dose were the 2 cats that were blowing my brain at that point. He was flexin different styles too on there and crazy wide range of subject matter. just had that moment when your like: yeah i gotta peep that album asap!

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:21:59 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
float is still probably my favorite aesop album, it's a little long but he still managed to pack so much into 70 minutes and some of my favorite tracks he's ever put out are on there. i've listened to big bang more than any other track of his. one thing aesop used to do that i always found pretty interesting is when he would do these adlibs and layer his vocals so that it almost seemed like he was actually having an conversation with himself or his subconscious.

Selah

Total Posts: 184
posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:12:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Selah

selah

posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:29:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Credit: at Russell Bailes

selah

posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:33:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
well that turned out bigger than I realized it would be, my fault.

Oh well, as you can see I'm a big fan lol. Probably one of the artists I own the most releases by.

My favorite would be None Shall Pass. He had just transitioned to his style of including live instrumentation, but still had some Blockhead and El-P contributions to make a good variety sonically. Lyricism was top notch. Had funny amusing songs, serious dark shit, fly smooth shit. Just overall really varied but still extremely cohesive.

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:47:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
nice, i definitely would have considered none shall pass to be my favorite at one point in time but i think i just got burnt out on that album when it first dropped. it's still crazy to me that he had the mtv spot with blockhead and rob and did a live performance on there around that time.

i've got almost everything that he's released on vinyl, but if i could get music for earthworms for a decent price i'd probably get the rest of the cds as well. shit goes for $200+ right now lol

Paper Piff And Polo

Total Posts: 765
posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:52:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Paper Piff And Polo
Check out this Aesop Rock,C-Rayz Walz,Vast Aire
Karma Killers Remix Video
Produced By RUSHMORE Beats

https://youtu.be/Aggy6Fl9gN8

selah

posted Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:53:24 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Dope collection. I definitely need to up my vinyl game when it comes to Hip Hop. Out of all the records I own barely any are hip hop. I guess because I collected Hip Hop CD's before I ever started collecting records and had a substantial collection so I never really switched mediums for the genre. Just bought vinyl singles with B-Sides that weren't available elsewhere.

Litney Spears

Total Posts: 1814
Location: ďI hate that the bitch wears lipstick while eating food, she basic as fuckĒ - virgin loser NHL
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:33:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Litney Spears
Gaysop cock

CAP LORD

Total Posts: 14
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:48:57 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for CAP LORD
Daylight bout best shit this dude ever did.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 9:26:03 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
damn that was a good one observe

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 6468
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:50:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i have a good amount of his catalog, prolly only missing the rare stuff. hes very dope. awesome voice and wordplay but def gets old after while. my head hurts after 60-70 mins of aesop rock lyrics. too much crammed in i think.

dj rolo

posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:55:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
selah, is that an original Earthworms?? i have a dub, but would love to own an original. seen them over the years but afraid to cop being that it is so easy to make a fake so i never took that chance

eseph84

Total Posts: 6806
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:01:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
lol information overload

i've gone back and forth for years on how i felt about his music, but since none shall pass i've liked everything and never looked back.

is he the best ever? not for me, i don't think he's in my top 20 even. honestly i never really did a list like that in a while, but i don't think he'd crack that list for me personally. my favorite hard to understand rappper is billy woods by far.

oh yea ace last album didn't strike that "aoty" chord with me that it seems to have done with many people nor do i feel he's gotten better over the years far as rhyming goes. by now, i just feel he's always been dope. and i like when he does stuff that's more humorous, easier to follow stuff,it seems like over the years he got better at that. i really liked the hmm and uncluded stuff.

selah

posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:05:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Credit: at

Yeah it is OG. The Print and coloration is identical to the copy on Discogs. I think the most difficult thing to replicate is the A sticker.

I've been duped on only one CD that I know of. MF Doom vs Clutchy Hopkins. Bought it off Discogs from Europe. The ink color was different on the artwork and the disc was different. Everything else I got matches up as far as I can tell.

I didn't get it directly from Aesop. I got it from Ebay but from a reputable seller a long time ago. Like 12 or more years ago.

selah

posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:08:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for selah
Credit: at

I say that about the sticker then realize my image didnt even have the sticker visible. Jesus I'm an idiot.

Porkelin

Total Posts: 348
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:23:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Porkelin
Zooka king

aesoprocksucks

Total Posts: 392
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:37:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for aesoprocksucks
see username

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:47:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
primus sucks

Litney Spears

Total Posts: 1814
Location: ďI hate that the bitch wears lipstick while eating food, she basic as fuckĒ - virgin loser NHL
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:48:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Litney Spears
Better than gaysop cock

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:50:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
lupe would karate chop you in half if he ever heard you say that

Loewi

Total Posts: 4655
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 11:23:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
I want that B Sides & Rarities bootleg

dj rolo

posted Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:35:53 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
selah word, that looks from here to be a legit copy. if it's a reputable seller i would feel much better too

my Appleseed didn't come with the "A" sticker on it so heads think it's fake but i got it off aesoprock.com when it dropped, and i'm pissed cuz it looks like a fake...but yo, i'm always looking for an authentic Earthworms

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 6468
posted Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:41:24 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i have....

float
daylight
fast cars danger knives
bazooka tooth
none shall pass
skelethon
invisible kid

Grafh

Total Posts: 3356
posted Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:52:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Grafh
Dope pics selah! I've been after that Earthworms cd for the better part of 15 years now, no joke. Never been able to track it down though. Other than that I have everything dude has ever released. Top 20 easy, and he's only getting better. The Impossible Kid is easily his best project. I never thought he would top Labor Days but man he's progressed.

I hope he keeps branching out and producing more for other artist cause the Felt album he did and Blueprint's last ep were both incredible.

Wonder what ever happened to his album he was doing with Cage?

Total Posts: 17744
posted Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:35:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
ernest hemmingway was dope.

dj rolo

posted Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:31:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
his first 3 are classics, ain't no albums after that comparing

illus UGHH Artist

Total Posts: 2355
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 1:45:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for illus   Click Here to Email illus
Aesop is top 5 in my modern emcee category. Meaning Emcees that dropped after 99. And no- his lyrics are not random words. If that is all you hear you need to listen more closely and open your mind. I can see why people may think that though but it's just not true.

I'd also put him in my top 10 of all time in my longevity category. Emcees that have been doing it for 20 years or more and always improving with consistent albums. I think every one of his albums gets better and better.

He's also top 10 possible top 5 in my live performance category. His live show is flawless and energetic.

But hey...that's just my meaningless opinion.

Grafh

Total Posts: 3356
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 3:34:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Grafh
Aesop already shitted on dudes who tried to claim his rhyming was random simply because they didn't want to take the time to understand it. On "Facemelter" dude spit

But fuck it it's ace rock six records of gibberish right?/
He's trying too hard to be weird and different right? (riiiiight)/
Or could it possibly just maybe be, his lessons/
Can't be summed up in a linear set of pop culture references?

All times are ET. The time now is 4:44 AM.Post viewed 1115 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: