Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (135) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Dabrye - Three/three (new Album Feat. Doom, Roc, Ghostface, And More)

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 16 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Dabrye - Three/three (new Album Feat. Doom, Roc, Ghostface, And More)
tippi dink

Total Posts: 7242
posted Friday, February 23, 2018 6:22:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink

When Ann Arbor's Tadd Mullinix began exploring hip-hop under the name Dabrye 20 years ago, he soon honed in on a startling vision of what the genre could be: ingenious, refined, daring. This vision came to life across two albums for Ghostly International 2001's One/Three and its 2006 follow-up Two/Three with each record further positioning the quiet Michigan producer as one of his generation's best, equally comfortable creating minimalist instrumental meditations or sharp rap salvos. In the late 2000s, following critical acclaim and accolades from both peers and inspirations (including the late Jay Dee with whom Mullinix collaborated before his untimely passing), Mullinix put the Dabrye moniker on ice and dedicated himself to other genres and ideas. All the while the influence of his work on a new generation of electronic musicians continued to make itself felt in subtle but meaningful ways.

All this changes in 2017 as Dabrye makes his long-awaited return with Three/Three, a razor-sharp rap album that brings to completion a prophetic trilogy. Mullinix's incisive productions provide the backdrop for equally acute rhymes that run the gamut from intergenerational observations and being your best self to back alley deals and having fun in the ride. Guests include indie rap legend DOOM, whose previous collaboration with Dabrye remains a point of reference for many, Wu Tang storyteller Ghostface Killah, L.A word fanatic Jonwayne, and Long Island's rugged surrealist Roc Marciano. Most importantly Three/Three is, much like its predecessor, an unfettered celebration of Detroit-area talent with Guilty Simpson, Phat Kat, Kadence, Quelle Chris, Danny Brown, Shigeto, Clear Soul Forces and more all lending their touch to Dabrye's return.

The blend of American and British dance music, hip-hop sampling, and Jamaican sound clash energy that underpinned Two/Three remains a quiet, guiding principle. At the same time Mullinix rejoices in a refreshed perspective, having had time to incubate ideas and find clarity in the distance between albums and the evolution of scenes. The beats are looser and less angular, more embracing of repetition. Organic techniques inspired by soul and jazz round off some of the harsher sonics. The resulting broad palette of tracks reflects both this evolution and the range of the Dabrye persona: relaxed headnod ("Tunnel Vision"); nervous, slow-motion electro ("The Appetite"); glacial motifs ("Emancipated"); jazzy, cut-up funk ("Sunset"); minimal brutalism ("Electrocutor"); intricate layering ("Culture Shuffle").

Three/Three marks the return of an innovator after close to a decade of silence. Despite what the title might imply, the album isn't the end of the story but rather the completion of a creative arc. Expect more Dabrye in the near future. The game is far from over.

anyone check this out yet? surprised that no one on here (that i've seen) has mentioned it since the announcement thread last year, it's definitely one of the better projects i've heard so far this year. some of my current favorite artists are featured on here, and dabrye's production is nice and varied without causing the album to sound disjointed. love the tracks with jonwayne and CSF.

Partial IP: 224.194.89

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 10170
posted Friday, February 23, 2018 7:07:57 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
u were talkin bout this awhile ago. im excited to peep this. gp

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, February 23, 2018 7:44:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
onto this one.....

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, February 23, 2018 8:16:02 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
halfway thru and i like atleast 4 tracks so far and those instro tracks are doin it for me to. so far so good.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, February 23, 2018 8:35:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
im i the only one peeping these albums? quadruple posting like a mother fucker. track 14 is insane, he really really grasped the sound waves u hear in ur head wen u trip on something like shrooms. this is fantastic

WiCkEd22

Total Posts: 36781
Location: SF Bay Area www,twitter,com/BayAreaWicked audiomack,com/artist/wicked22 www,hulkshare,com/wicked22
posted Friday, February 23, 2018 8:39:52 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for WiCkEd22   Click Here to Email WiCkEd22

I really only like two songs... the one with Nolan The Ninja and the one with DOOM.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, February 23, 2018 8:48:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
just finished this and its hands down the best thing ive heard so far this yr.

favorite tracks:

Tunnel Vision ft. Guilty Simpson
Emancipated ft. Ghostface Killah
Fight Scene ft. LA Peace
Pretty ft. Jonwayne
Nova ft. Nolan the Ninja
Dr. Shroomen ft. G&D
Sisfo Ridin ft. Clear Soul Forces
First Law of Nature Rock Day ft. Denmark Vessey

and the instrumental tracks really work. this is dope as fuck tippi, thanks.

tippi dink

Total Posts: 7242
posted Friday, February 23, 2018 8:52:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
lol gino, glad that you like it so much. was expecting this to turn out like that thread i made for the ozay moore album a couple weeks ago which got one reply.

i like almost every track on here, the two two weakest ones to me are the ones with fatt father and phat kat.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, February 23, 2018 8:56:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
that roc track shoulda been solo. danny brown wasnt needed and quelle chris irks me. and that doom track was underwhelming. i think the la peace track is my favorite or the nolan the ninja

s-agent

Total Posts: 3926
posted Friday, February 23, 2018 11:02:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for s-agent
I was playing this yesterday. Very dope album

demman

Total Posts: 13
posted Saturday, February 24, 2018 12:46:55 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for demman
Enjoyed a pretty dece amount on first listen through, consistently nice production with some really solid guest features. Would definitely recommend at least one listen through to anyone reading. Gonna listen to some more over the next week for sure

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 42439
posted Saturday, February 24, 2018 5:35:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Yo ETW did you pull a no mask? Claiming this is your AOTY maybe under the influence of high caffeination? Spur of the moment type shit possibly.

This tape had it's moments but, besides a few tracks, was average material for the most part. I'm actually surprised you dug it as much. The tracks with Ghost, DOOM, Roc/Quelle/Danny, and Clear Soul Forces were the standouts.

no mask

Total Posts: 10121
posted Saturday, February 24, 2018 6:28:15 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^oh no you didn't! you so sassy!

dR.prOf

Total Posts: 7078
posted Saturday, February 24, 2018 6:39:35 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dR.prOf   Click Here to Email dR.prOf
Enjoyed this alot. Best doom track ive heard in quite a long time--ive been waiting for him to hope on a dope beat with no features for years now.
Also liked the nolan, denmark, and roc marci tracks.very diverse beats

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Saturday, February 24, 2018 7:21:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
lol clock, naw man

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 42439
posted Saturday, February 24, 2018 7:24:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
With you listening to a bunch of 2018 releases i guess i was expecting some next level shit for you to proclaim it as your AOTY. Like i said, it wasn't bad by any means, just not the level of greatness i was expecting.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Saturday, February 24, 2018 7:29:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
im lookin at my top 10 right now and hope none of its ther at the end of the yr right now honestly. its been real interesting but i need some better stuff to drop soon.

All times are ET. The time now is 5:53 AM.Post viewed 785 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: