Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (30) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Letdowns Of 2017

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 54 replies
Page: 1 2
AuthorTopic:  Letdowns Of 2017
SC1989

Total Posts: 1918
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:18:00 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
Sean Price imperial rex
Boreing Beats with cheesy hooks
Kool G Rap and Friends Return of the Don
Not a solo G Rap Record
Ran Reed
Generic NYC street shit that has beats that sound dated and dull

Partial IP: 224.194.89

Selah

Total Posts: 1441
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 8:19:55 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Selah
Black Thought freestyles. He aight, but he just ainít next level like Knowself dunny.

ironkrylon

Total Posts: 2044
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 9:07:36 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for ironkrylon
the majority.

/thread.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 10603
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 9:44:18 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
vignettes
open mike eagle

tippi dink

Total Posts: 7375
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 10:11:42 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
i was a little let down by the open mike eagle album at first but it grew it on after a few listens, one of the strongest conceptual albums i've heard in a while

biggest disappointments for me were

sadistik - altars

i thought this album had a lot of potential, i liked the direction he went in with that salo sessions ep and the single "free spirits" that he put out for this album was one of my favorite tracks of the year, but god damn some of the other tracks on here are just so corny to me. it reminds me of the direction cage took his music in lol. this album as a whole just doesn't really seem genuine compared to flowers for my father.

ivan ave - every eye

helping hands was one of my most listened to projects from last year but i found this one to be straight up boring. i don't think the beats on here are nearly as good and ivan seems like he's singing more than he's rapping.

shabazz palaces - quazarz

interesting concept but i think these are the two weakest projects shabazz palaces have put out so far. they're not bad but neither is as interesting or enjoyable to listen to as lese majesty or black up were.

jam baxter & ed scissortongue - laminated cakes

this is in my top 15 and it's still one of the biggest disappointments for me this year, just because the album is too damn short. this was announced and hyped up years ago and when it finally drops it's only 37 minutes long with 7 tracks that actually have rapping. i just expected a project that rivals the best word scissortongue and baxter have put out in the past. i also don't like how scissortongue re-recorded his verse on pipe smoke, i thought the version they put out a few years ago was much better.

theres probably few others but i cant think of them right now

Greg_h._Valentine

Total Posts: 3203
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 10:13:55 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Greg_h._Valentine
REVIVAL
REVIVAL
REVIVAL
REVIVAL
REVIVAL

tippi dink

posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 10:15:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
revival wasn't a letdown for me because i never expected it to be good to begin with

Paper Piff & Polo

Total Posts: 27
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 11:22:07 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Paper Piff & Polo
Doppelgangaz - Dopp Hopp

Your Old Droog - Packs

Paper Piff & Polo

Total Posts: 27
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 11:24:44 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Paper Piff & Polo
Jay-Z 4:44

5th point

Total Posts: 1137
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 2:22:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
Laminated cakes seems like it was never finished imo... more like an ep, but every track on there is dope as fuck, sink is def one of my favorite tracks this year.

Did you peep good evening by verb t tippi? While its not aoty or anything it was alot better than expected

tippi dink

posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 2:32:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
yeah if it just had two or 3 more tracks it would have probably been top 5. do you think the original version of pipe smoke is better than the album version or am i trippin?

verb t's album was pretty good but i think his style gets kind of old after a while, especially on an album that's 50 minutes long. i like him in smaller doses and he has a handful of tracks i really like but he's not one of my favorite uk artists.

what did you think of jehst's album from this year? i think it's the best thing he's done in a while, probably my second favorite of his albums.

5th point

Total Posts: 1137
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 3:17:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
Ill have to listen to the two versions of pipesmoke tonight i remember you showed me the og a few months ago.

As far as the billy green album i didnt listen a whole bunch when it dropped but i remember liking it tho. I like good robot its on my uk playlist.

Ocean wisdoms verse on lie low from good evening is so dope tho

Litney Spears

Total Posts: 3034
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 3:20:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Litney Spears
He must be trolling with 444 best album this year

Grafh

Total Posts: 3394
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 3:37:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Grafh
Not a lot of shit really lets me down to be honest, but yeah that G Rap album was a disappointment. Just too many guest, too many weak hooks. I really, really wish G Rap would just stop writing traditional 16 bar verse, 8 bar hook hip hop songs. It doesn't work for him. He needs to take the DOOM road and just give us 4 banging verses back to back over a dope beat.

dj rolo

Total Posts: 5408
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 3:46:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
great thread! I was actually gonna start this one because of so much music coming out this year, a GOAT year IMO, but there were albums that straight fell flat. One off the top for me was
definitely Imperius Rex...i thought it was trash.

tippi, does being short in length constitute an album being a disappointment? i guess i can understand your point, but if every track is dope (which it is the case), doesn't it make it still real dope release?

i def wasn't let down because the quality was there, but i guess it's all a matter of opinion so i'm not saying you wrong, but i would never equate that album with "disappointment"

tippi dink

posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:13:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
the quality is there without a doubt, but it's disappointing to me because it was an album i've been waiting 5 years for and it ended up being more like an ep. they've been talking about that album forever and i guess i was just expecting more. obviously that's my own fault though. if you had asked me two weeks ago what my most anticipated albums were this would be close to the top of the list.

i'll use another album that seems to have been in purgatory for 5+ years for comparison. what if that roc marciano and ka metal clergy album came out and it was only 7 tracks with them rapping. don't you think you'd be a little underwhelmed?

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 42745
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:28:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Easily...

Your Old Droog - Packs

The more i think about it, the Sean P. was decent but overall a big letdown.

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:40:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Id say pretty much all of the Griselda releases this year too. None of them were garbage bag but after momentum they had last year along with them signing to Shady i was expecting at least one top shelf release. Instead a bunch of middle of the road releases with little replay value.

SC1989

Total Posts: 1918
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:58:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
Verbs album was that shit i forgot about it.
Add that too.

no mask

Total Posts: 10121
posted Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:52:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^g.o.a.t. in 1 week clockavelli!

eseph84

Total Posts: 7409
Location: calling a 40 year old city guy who knows his rap better than you do a woodsman kid etc. lame shit
posted Monday, December 18, 2017 8:32:05 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
sadistik - altars - my expectations were unreal, clearly this coulda been better. no replay value or interesting guests like the albums before had

i agree on the g rap. ok but nowhere near a years best, way too many guests.

i liked the jay z

the imperious coulda been better, but he died, i'll take what i can get. its got a bittersweet grim type of vibe when i listen to it. great to get drunk to. nah fuck that i like the sean P! all the guests and producers and fam came together to do a proper final farewell th P with what he had left for us to work with. all the guests killed it, mainly smif n wess, buck, rim, vic spencer, jr reid, freeway!, doom, ike eyes! juxx! and the beats by stu bangaz, a l c, them crummie beats dudes. i like their beats

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Monday, December 18, 2017 8:35:31 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i liked the sean p but cosign all those steroid tapes

Partial IP: 43.230.209

WhiteMike

Total Posts: 182
posted Monday, December 18, 2017 10:15:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteMike   Click Here to Email WhiteMike
All of the Griselda releases this year.

If they drop G.O.A.T. this month and it lives up to the hype like they say it does, then I'll take it back.

Reject on Steroids was dope, but More Steroids wasn't nearly as dope, HWH 5 was one of the weaker HWH entries, and the Benny tape that just dropped was pretty good, but I felt like I'd heard a good amount of it before it dropped.

I think signing to Shady was a mistake.

the weatherman (Admin)

Total Posts: 21916
posted Monday, December 18, 2017 11:32:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for the weatherman
rosebudd's revenge

I still think it's a good album, and it probably makes my top 5 for the year....but reloaded was one of the best hip-hop albums of all-time for me (yeah, I don't think it's a stretch to say all-time). I don't know if I was expecting something on that level, but I just felt the mixing and overall quality of rosebudd's was a bit less than roc has been known to put out. hopefully part 2 is a bit sharper.

Total Posts: 19424
Location: What does god have to do with the pronunciation of a word?
posted Monday, December 18, 2017 11:42:14 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i like rosebud more than reloaded *shrugs

Trylemma

Total Posts: 100
posted Monday, December 18, 2017 12:50:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Trylemma
I was excited about all these releases but they turned out to be sub-par:

Phoenix Orion - Fame and Thrones: Was hoping Phoenix could bounce back after his missteps over the past half decade...but nope.

KanKick & Dr. Oop - Lose Your Illusion: Complete waste of a collaboration.

Ecid & Louis Logic - FoolHearty: Take two of the better left-field artists today and...have them do literally anything other than this.

DkNoDeal - Folk Hop Blues: DK has such a legendary Project Blowedian status and I've been waiting to hear this since it "dropped" on some obscure site in 2014 where you had to buy a shirt to hear it...did not live up.

Damu & Raw Poetic - The Reflecting Sea: The instrumentation here is pretty boring and the fact that Raw Poetic is one of the best rappers out today and is underused just makes things that much worse.

Dumbfoundead - Rocket Man: I was beginning to warm up to DFD's newer style, but he overshoots things here (despite a couple of solid tracks.)

Merky Waters - Learners: When people try to make "enlightened" music, it rarely turns out good.

Cavviar - Cavviar: Always ready for Wax music and always ready for fun music - never ready for this.

Rogue Venom & DirtyDiggs - Death To The Fakeshit: Rogue Venom is a talented rapper who never quite seems to find her groove - I was hoping this collabo with DD would set things straight. It didn't.

Hines Buchanan - Lana Futura: I really wanted to like this, especially since it was made while Hine's wife was dying, but it's a bit too messy for me.

Rootbeer - Gold: Not sure if I should have been excited for this in the first place, but Pigeon John has been dropping some fine tunes lately. Corny too high on this one though.

Macklemore - Gemini: I'm a strong supporter of Macklemore, but this definitely shows that without the direction of Ryan, he doesn't really have a style.

Fashawn - Manna: The Ecology was easily Fashawn's best work yet. This felt not only like outtakes of that, but sub-par ones.

Headnodic & Adam Deitch - First Takes: Another letdown from Headnodic post-Iguana.

Kayer - Permanent Knock: I'm always down for some LA2TheBay type projects, but this one lives a bit too much in the past for me.

Creed Chameleon - Sarah Nades: I hadn't listened to new Creed in a long while and apparently I shouldn't have.

Def3 - Small World: Def3 has one of my favorite deliveries in rap, but the cliche factor on this project (mixed with the absence of Factor) is too much.

Dr. Wylie - +1 Club: Wylie is responsible for some of the most interesting production of the past half decade or so, and nearly none of it shows here.

Ghettosocks & Kin' Size Slim - Diamants en cendres: Great concept, poor execution.

I was very excited about these releases and they turned out to be solid and recommendable - just not as amazing as I was hoping:

Thavius Beck - Technol O.G.: Thavius ruled 2012, so I was kind of expecting this return to just pick up where he left off. Didn't really happen.

Orko Eloheim & Aceyalone - Conversations With God: This had been set to drop for so long, the hype was destined to extend passed what the album was - a good musical journey with a couple unneeded detours along the way.

Haez One - Death To The Internet: I had been waiting for this one patiently for years now and while I was gifted with the expected large amount of mostly good tracks - the bad tracks on here are pretty bad.

Gift of Gab - Rejoice! Rappers Are Rapping Again!: Gift of Gab is in my Top 5 and at this point I just expect anything he releases to be well above "good." This might be the first thing that isn't (but it's still well at the level of "good.")

Homeboy Sandman - Veins: I actually wasn't really feeling this at first listen, but I grew to appreciate it generally. Typically, however, I like whatever Sandman makes immediately.

Open Mike Eagle - Brick Body Kids Still Daydream: I loved Hella Personal Film Festival and the initial singles to this. The project succeeds at it's overall goals, but I don't really return to much.

Evil Ebenezer - Cultus: Evil has slowly been sharpening his craft as one of the best mood music makers. This felt a big more like a compilation of good tracks though and not the full album I wanted.

Toussaint Morrison - Lesser Restoration: This might be the only project on this list that is well above "good." It still manages to make this list though because of the unfair expectations I put on Toussaint at this point.

born dead

Total Posts: 2597
posted Monday, December 18, 2017 5:00:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for born dead
For me its gotta be revival. I didn't let my hopes to too high, but I thought it would be a decent album. Personally I think the album is garbage. Although, I disagree with a few of the choices people have. Personally I thought Imperius Rex was one of the best albums of the year. I thought G Raps album was nice as well. Gotta say I agree with 88 regarding rosebud vs reloaded. Not sure why, but I couldn't really get into reloaded as much as Rosebud.

Litney Spears

Total Posts: 3034
posted Monday, December 18, 2017 5:03:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Litney Spears
Dude basically wrote a novel

bUcKtHaDeViL

Total Posts: 1810
posted Monday, December 18, 2017 6:14:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
You are buggin' out if you think Sean Price Imperius Rex was a letdown. Dude was dead. It was way beyond my expectations.

Packs was a big disapointment.
Homeboy Sandman was wack.
Machine on Steroids was bullshit.

Those would be my top 3 letdowns

dj rolo

posted Monday, December 18, 2017 6:37:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
Trylemma, A for effort my g...tippi, i know those are the types of thorough explanation answers you be liking, much better than my "it's dope" right?

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Monday, December 18, 2017 6:42:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
I'm with Weather in that Reloaded is probably my favorite post 2010 album and a classic. I figured there was no way he'd drop something at the same quality which is why Rosebudd's wasn't a disappointment to me. Gonna end up in my Top 5 of the year for sure.

posted Monday, December 18, 2017 7:09:15 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
cs the people voting packs. that was a stinker, unfortunately.

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Monday, December 18, 2017 7:28:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Sucks cause I'm a big fan of Droog but his beat selection has always been suspect. Maybe cause im not a fan of Skizz but none of his projects, including his debut, have been anything better than average.

Partial IP: 73.10.82.7

Sp 90s

Total Posts: 3028
posted Monday, December 18, 2017 8:23:52 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Sp 90s
That DOOM and westside collab that only ended up being 2 songs. Should have been a full album.

Side note DOOMs 14 year old son died today. Can't even imagine what that's like.

dR.prOf

Total Posts: 7224
posted Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:15:25 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dR.prOf   Click Here to Email dR.prOf
Cs sean p, shabazz palaces and dr oop/kankick

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:47:05 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink   Click Here to Email tippi dink
tippi, i know those are the types of thorough explanation answers you be liking, much better than my "it's dope" right?

man i don't expect anyone to go that far with it but i think anything is better than just saying something is dope, fire, trash, wack, etc. all that tells you is that someone liked or disliked something but not why. so unless someone knew your taste really well and theirs was 90% similar it doesn't really mean much.

posted Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:22:18 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i know it's what you want, clock, but i would really, really hate it if droog went boom bap. he's so much better than that. it's like people want him to rhyme over the beats they want nas to rhyme over, whereas i think he should be rhyming over beats like mf doom's. even though his voice is like nas, his style is more like doom's.

lex718

Total Posts: 1584
posted Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:25:14 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for lex718
Oddisee's The Iceberg was a bit of a disappointment to me. The Good Fight, Alwasta and The Odd Tape were all so good to me that this project came as a disappointment. I liked it a bit more at first thinking it would continue to grow on me but unfortunately, the more I try to listen to it the more I realize I don't really want to. It has it's shining moments but maybe my expectations were just too high. I wanted to like it as much as I did The Good Fight and I just didn't.

I'm also weirdly disappointed in Dopp Hopp. I think it's well produced and they do what they usually do in terms of the rhymes. They are mastering their own unique sound, but the replay value on this is very low for me as well. Neither of these are bad albums, I just wish I liked them more.

eseph84

Total Posts: 7409
Location: calling a 40 year old city guy who knows his rap better than you do a woodsman kid etc. lame shit
posted Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:20:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
dudes that droog was so dope

edan beat and feature. alc on a beat, el rtnc is mega dope on here. all the guests we're cool. how is it not a sick album to ya'll?

i guess im glad i wasnt a droog superfan for his early stuff, that was back when i was on the fence. kinison then this and the stuff he does with skizz like on cruise control is what made me a fan

i really want the cig pack cassette version, i bet it would sound even dustier on tape in the hip hop garage.

oh yeah i forgot to mention the wiki feature.

plus they did an awesome song on the wiki album this year and i still need to check the wiki droog mix they dropped which i hope see's a physical release eventually, too. two of my favorites from the younger generations of emcee's to emerge these past 5 years or so.

dj rolo

posted Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:50:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
i can't even fathom how anyonje would think that Droog PACKS was wack or a let-down...i thought it was hella dope, and i cosign 88 about that whole boom-bap thing. i'd much rather hear him over DOOM-style beats myself as well.

lex718

Total Posts: 1584
posted Tuesday, December 19, 2017 3:02:15 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for lex718
Y.O.D. is on my top list as well. I thought it was his best release thusfar.

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:44:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
I don't care as much if he's on boom bap as much as i just wanna hear him over dope beats. Seemingly half the beats on all of his releases are An EP or album with Alchemist should be his next priority.

Kinison EP is my favorite Droog release. This track is dope...

WiCkEd22

Total Posts: 36824
Location: SF Bay Area www,twitter,com/BayAreaWicked audiomack,com/artist/wicked22 www,hulkshare,com/wicked22
posted Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:44:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for WiCkEd22   Click Here to Email WiCkEd22

Letdowns Of 2017

^Observe not growing up and acting like a real man. Sad, but true. smh

dj rolo

posted Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:17:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
def a big letdown...

Joey Bada$$

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:27:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Wacka$$ hasn't dropped a dope album since 1999. His acting in Mr. Robot is DAFFY tho.

dj rolo

posted Wednesday, December 20, 2017 8:03:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
yea, i liked B4DaA$$ a lot actually...but to each his own i guess

felipedahiphopadict01

Total Posts: 992
posted Saturday, December 23, 2017 9:23:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for felipedahiphopadict01
jigga

no mask

Total Posts: 10121
posted Saturday, December 23, 2017 9:24:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
SC1989 is a fag and his moms a clown.

dj rolo

posted Wednesday, December 27, 2017 11:30:43 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
there has got to be more let-downs this year...can anyone name some others?

Sp 90s

Total Posts: 3028
posted Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:45:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Sp 90s
Hip hop

ern

Total Posts: 4543
posted Friday, December 29, 2017 9:26:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for ern
lol no mask

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, December 29, 2017 9:32:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
every last tape that dude kupaij posts. especially that cocksuckin eto and v don

All times are ET. The time now is 7:20 AM.Post viewed 2294 timesPage: 1 2
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: