Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (36) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Ill Bill - The Grimy Awards

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 10 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Ill Bill - The Grimy Awards
the weatherman (Admin)

Total Posts: 21911
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:19:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for the weatherman
was listening to this album on the way to work and while I always liked it, I thought it was even better than my initial impressions from when it came out.

the intro has a dope beat, but I wish he would have spit on it....probably would have been one of the better tracks if so.

paul baloff is a fuckin heater to start off the album. and while acceptance speech isn't as good, it's decent, and the tracks after it just get better and better....truth, exploding octopus, forty deuce Hebrew, how to survive the apocalypse....shit everything up to 'power' is just fire.

'when I die' is just ok....wish it kept the original beat, but I still like the personal nature of the lyrics. the album then closes out with 3 bangers and a dud (120% darkside justice - really the only weak track on the album in my opinion). world premier is a little meh, but I like it will enough and it closes out the album nicely.

overall I think the production on here is outstanding and I like the more personal vibe to bill's lyrics. probably a rock solid 8.5/10, imo.

Partial IP: 224.194.89

Paper Piff And Polo

Total Posts: 765
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:21:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Paper Piff And Polo
Ya dont say...

no mask

Total Posts: 10121
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:34:38 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^ i agree with most of that and its a really dope, well put together album and under rated on here. the premo worship track is a bit weak but has a dope premo beat. every track is nice imo and a bunch of really ill tracks. production is crazy, dope features etc. intense, entertaining album. I like "when i die" and think releasing it was a great move by bill.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 10504
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:51:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
would u say this is better than "hour of resprisal"

eseph84

Total Posts: 7398
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:54:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
i liked it a lot

glad i got the og when i die song on vinyl - best beat!

sometimes i forget how "ill" bil really is til something like that new hmk came out and then it smacks me over the head i realize 90% of the work he's done over the years has been very dope to me

he might actually be ranked on my top 20-30 all time

dingleberrymercenary

Total Posts: 2252
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:08:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dingleberrymercenary
Never got Around to picking up the Grimy Awards..but I do have what's wrong with Bill and Hour of Reprisal..I heard quite a few tracks of Grimy Awards though..

Paper Piff And Polo

Total Posts: 765
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:12:38 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Paper Piff And Polo
Would you say its better then "Harlem World" By Mase?

technosapien36

Total Posts: 363
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:12:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for technosapien36
Great album. I like almost every song. The track produced by and featuring El-P, Severed Heads of State, is my favorite one.

no mask

posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:21:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
i wouldnt say its better then the hour of reprisal but there pretty neck and neck. the hour... might be better as it feels/sounds like such a complete album and has no week tracks where as grimy has a couple.

the weatherman (Admin)

Total Posts: 21911
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:28:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for the weatherman
I think it's better than hour of reprisal...to be honest, HoR feels forced in spots (like Riya and war is my destiny). the beats also just aren't as good, likely because bill handled most himself...but they just seem all over the place, and a lot are weak (too young, im a goon, pain gang).

it's solid overall, but I think grimy awards is a better front to back album.

no mask

posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017 3:24:52 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^i think i agree. i forgot about some of those tracks you mentioned so imo now there are a few weak tracks on hour of reprisal and i was never loving the metal influence.not to flip flop but i havent heard or thought about that album in a few years so..

All times are ET. The time now is 9:57 AM.Post viewed 740 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: