Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (67) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Cypress Hill - Iv (appreciation Thread)

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 13 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Cypress Hill - Iv (appreciation Thread)
pattch82

Total Posts: 745
posted Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:15:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for pattch82   Click Here to Email pattch82

This album seems to get slept on and is hated on by quite a lot of people too but I always thought it was dope as fuck. IMO it's the last really dope Cypress Hill album.

A lot of people tend to class the first 3 albums as classics, but I'd put IV right up there with them as well. Muggs was on some other shit with the beats on this album...

Most of the beats are all dark as fuck apart from one or two lighter moments like...

Even the beat on Greenthumb was bangin' though.

The only downside to this album is it had the start of their rock/rap crossover joints on there. The only track I'm not a fan of is Lightning Strikes.

Muggs was still at the top of his game in '98. He even goes full-Bomb Squad style on a couple of tracks...

There's so many dope joints on this album...

Thoughts on this album???

Partial IP: 13.145.104

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 3947
posted Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:19:35 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
It had it's moments but it was the beginning of the end. Prelude To A Come Up is the best track. I haven't listened to this album in forever, but from memory I'd give it a B-.

Partial IP: 224.194.89

Total Posts: 19321
Location: What does god have to do with the pronunciation of a word?
posted Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:22:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
honestly, i haven't even heard it. i'm a bit of a CH n00b, tbh.

actually, that might not be true. i might have heard it. my pothead friend was a big cypress fan back in junior high, and i think i might have skimmed through this one at his place once. he played stoned raiders a lot on his system when we were chilling in the basement back then.

pattch82

posted Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:42:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for pattch82   Click Here to Email pattch82

^^ 88, Stoned Raiders is wack as fuck compared to this. Give it a few spins, it's dope as fuck. Even check out the tracks I posted above, almost every track is classic Muggs shit.

The main thing that annoys me about this album is the fuckin stupid skits with Cheech and Chong.

This was the last classic Cypress Hill record. Skull & Bones had a couple of decent tracks, but too much Rock shit. Stoned Raiders was pretty much wack for the most part and Til Death Do Us Part was ok. I don't even class Rise Up as a CH record. It was more like a B-Real solo album. Muggs only produced 2 tracks on it (3 if you include one of the bonus joints).

If Muggs ain't on the bulk of the production then it ain't Cypress Hill.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 10130
posted Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:22:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
this cd has been on my floor for like 6 months now. i think ive heard it once.

Mental Patient UGHH Artist

Total Posts: 4610
posted Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:01:05 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Mental Patient
Dope album

pattch82

posted Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:20:56 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for pattch82   Click Here to Email pattch82

^^Very dope album. Iíve been on a real Cypress Hill kick for the last week or so...this album, Temples of Boom, the first Soul Assassins album, all top tier shit.

NightRider

Total Posts: 602
posted Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:51:30 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for NightRider
Agree, IV is super dope, they get a little less dark with this one and as an old fan of 'rap-metal', they started to get more into the mixing of this two styles, they get fuckin heavier on "Skull & Bones"...
I know a lot of you disagree, but if you wanna do proper 'rap-metal' put some instruments behind CH and you get best possible outtake!

eseph84

Total Posts: 7366
posted Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:41:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
i mess with this. someone gave me a cassette copy in high school (just the tape/no art) and i liked greenthumb and i got all excited when i noticed chace infinite rapping and that baron dude from soul assasins one. the songs with them two guests were awesome. i need to revisit this tho. been a while. cant remember if i ever did grab the cd. still got that tape tho.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 10130
posted Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:55:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
that dr. green thumb song sounds so good in the car

pattch82

posted Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:53:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for pattch82   Click Here to Email pattch82

^^ A lot of the joints on here knock hard in the car. It took me years to appreciate the Greenthumb track though. The goofy video always being on MTV back in the day put me off that song for a long time!

I still canít tell if Muggs was going for a Bomb Squad style sound on some of these tracks, or if it was the start of the rock rap crossover shit. Joints like Checkmate, Goin All Out, Riot Starter all sound like theyíre straight off a Public Enemy album.

PhillyMikeG

Total Posts: 13
posted Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:09:11 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for PhillyMikeG
Agreed. This was the first Cypress Hill album I bought and would listen to it over and over.

bread = money

Total Posts: 256
posted Saturday, February 17, 2018 10:21:05 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for bread = money
decent album but that generic and gimmicky late 90s sound starts to creep into a few tracks on this one. overall it doesn't have the same blunted darkside minimal edge as III, which sounds like a much more complete album.

agree with the PE comparison on a few beats too. overall it's pretty uneven, production-wise

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 42375
posted Saturday, February 17, 2018 5:27:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
7.5/10 album for me. Production is great for the most part. The only auto skip track on here is I Remember That Freak Bitch. Looking Through the Eye of a Pig is one of my GOAT Cypress tracks. That song is so fucking dope. Muggs production still on point though he did have different sounds on here from up tempo Bomb Squad to darker more laid back stoner beats. It all worked but didn't make for as much of a cohesive album are Temples, which is why i knocked it down a peg or two. Co-sign the last dope album of theirs by a wide margin.

All times are ET. The time now is 12:46 PM.Post viewed 869 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: