Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (26) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Brick Body Kids Still Daydream By Open Mike Eagle

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 50 replies
Page: 1 2
AuthorTopic:  Brick Body Kids Still Daydream By Open Mike Eagle
no mask

Total Posts: 7057
posted Friday, September 15, 2017 4:29:07 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask

based on his creativity and the 1 song i heard from this im optimistic that it will be dope, creative and original.

Partial IP: 252.39.148

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 2049
posted Friday, September 15, 2017 6:04:30 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
on the last song. this isnt nearly as good as last yrs album but its ok. i get the concept but ehhh.

favorite tracks:

(how could anybody) feel at home
happy wasteland day
TLDR (smithing)
95 radios

Partial IP: 43.230.209

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 6:16:27 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
his whispering gets old fast but his singing is pleasant.

no mask

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 6:24:39 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
i like it. not my go to type of rap but its cool. hes dropping a few different styles as an emcee even with soulful singing hooks which is major skill. a well rounded emcee/artist. the creativity with the beats is there with layers of sound, unique sounds/beats, wide spectrum of beat styles etc. major dope. cons for me are it has too many sing songy hooks, too many chill tracks and a bit of a glum depressing emotional under town to much of it, a couple questionable beats(tldr) and a bit too non rap sounding for my taste at times. BUT its very dope. i respect the creativity.

Partial IP: 62.144.146

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 6:26:10 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
im not gonna ruin this thread so ill be quiet but we've heard this story prolly 100 thousand times in a less ehhhh cunty way.

no mask

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 6:32:25 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^ i hear ya

Loewi

Total Posts: 4356
posted Friday, September 15, 2017 7:03:34 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
LOL good move Gino

Loving this album halfway through. Super dense lyricism. Lots to unpack. A lot of subtle repetition you have to connect. Interested in tippi dink's thoughts

Loewi

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 7:04:53 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
It does have a depressing undertone, I agree

Loewi

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 9:16:54 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
One of the best albums of the year.

dj rolo

Total Posts: 2746
posted Friday, September 15, 2017 9:17:51 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
def a Mike Eagle fan of his past work, still haven't heard this but it's def on the radar...Loewi, that good huh?

Loewi

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 9:19:56 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Yes, if you dig HBO, you will dig this. Equally as complex

dj rolo

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 9:33:00 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
word word, i can appreciate Mike's style...good looks on the feedback tho

tippi dink

Total Posts: 4454
posted Friday, September 15, 2017 11:20:33 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i listened to this once last night, and my first impression is slight disappointment. it's not bad by any means, but after 3 fantastic projects back to back (dark comedy, special episode, and hella personal film festival) this album was kinda underwhelming.
i'm a fan of mike eagle's singing, and probably the biggest fan of his music on here in general, but i really think he overdid it a little bit on here. the album lacks the variety of some of his other albums, and i wish he would have had a few more songs on here that were more energetic/fun. so sonically, i think it could have been better. on his previous projects there have always been one or two songs that really stand out to me, where i immediately think "this is the one". for example: nightmares, mef's lament, dark comedy late show, why piano's break, golden era raps, a short about a guy who dies every night, and rap protection prayer.

this project really didn't have one of those that stood out immediately, a lot of it sounds pretty similar. however i think he did a really smart thing here, since this is probably his most accessible album yet despite the subject matter being pretty serious. most albums that cover these topics tends to be very preachy, aggressive and confrontational which i know is a turn off for some people but he kinda tricks you with these catchy hooks and more laid back delivery. conceptually and thematically the album completely works for me though, each track is a piece of the puzzle - the story of this kid who lives in the projects who doesn't want to go outside and face the violence and terror of reality so he daydreams this other universe into existence in order to escape it. i'd have to give it a few more listens before i could really rank it amongst the rest of his discography, it didn't blow me away on first listen but i think it'll grow on me over time.

favorite tracks - legendary iron hood, happy wasteland day, brick body complex, TLDR (smithing) , 95 radios, my auntie's building

least favorite tracks - no selling, breezeway ritual, wedding ghosts

actually i take back what i said before, legendary iron hood is probably the stand out on here. that's "the one". mike is basically rapping from the perspective of "the juggernaut" from the x-men comics, and y'all know i love my comics. there's so many subtle references in that track that took me a minute to really get. the "jewels" mentioned in the song being the crimson gem of cyttorak which give juggernaut his powers, line like "ain't nothing gonna stop me now" and "can't stop, can't stop, but I'm not just boasting" alluding to the fact that the juggernaut can't be stop, "chilly canadian" being wolverine. yet the track still makes sense if you try and ground it in reality, i thought that track was dope.

overall a solid album, concept is well done but just not my favorite project he's done. hella personal film festival was a good concept album but it had more variety since each track was it's own story/film.

Loewi

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 11:27:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Mike said the line is "clearly Canadian" referencing Molson Canadian, a brand of beer. What does it have to do with Wolverine?

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 11:32:07 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
no he didn't loewi, the lyrics are right on the bandcamp page lol.

and wolverine is canadian, he's from alberta. the rest of the track is full of x-men/marvel references.

Loewi

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 11:44:35 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
I asked him on Twitter and that's what he said:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Eagle/status/908679496915574784

"clearly* canadian. my favorite liquor store beverage as a kid #bbksd"

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 1884
Location: President of the DJ Penis Fan Club, formerly the DJ Rolo Fan Club
posted Friday, September 15, 2017 11:46:03 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
TOUR DATES

9/15 – Dallas, TX – RBC 
9/16 – Houston, TX – The Secret Group 
9/17 – Austin, TX – Barracuda 
9/20 – Madison, WI – High Noon Saloon 
9/21 – Detroit, MI – Marble Bar 
9/22 – Chicago, IL – Schubas Tavern 
9/23 – Ames, IA – Maintenance Shop 
9/24 – Minneapolis, MN – 7th Street Entry 
9/26 – Brooklyn, NY – Knitting Factory 
9/27 – Washington, DC – Black Cat Backstage 
9/28 – Cambridge, MA – Middle East Upstairs 
9/29 – Philadelphia, PA – Kung Fu Necktie 
9/30 – Portland, ME – Waking Windows 
10/5 – Seattle, WA – Barboza 
10/6 – Portland, OR – Doug Fir 
10/7 - Hood River, OR - Underground Music Station
10/18 – Atlanta, GA – Aisle 5 
10/19 – Raleigh, NC – Kings Barcade 
10/21 – Cincinnati, OH – Chameleon 
10/23 – Phoenix, AZ – Valley Bar 
10/24 – San Diego, CA – The Casbah 
10/25 – Los Angeles, CA – The Echo 
10/26 – San Francisco, CA – Independent 

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 11:48:56 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
well maybe he should fix that on the lyrics section of his album on bandcamp.

regardless, it could still be a double meaning, like how the "now and laters" he mentioned in that same line could be a reference to the days of future past storyline.

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 1884
Location: President of the DJ Penis Fan Club, formerly the DJ Rolo Fan Club
posted Friday, September 15, 2017 11:52:23 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
tippi pwnt

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 11:53:18 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
open mike eagle pwnt himself by not putting the right lyrics on bandcamp tbh

Loewi

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 12:01:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Okay, I was wrong about it being Molson. There's an actual brand called Clearly Canadian

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 12:06:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
im not gonna ruin this thread so ill be quiet but we've heard this story prolly 100 thousand times in a less ehhhh cunty way.

i also don't agree with this, yeah there's artists that have talked about similar topics but i don't think any of them (that i can think of) have done with the same humor that mike eagle brings to the table or approached it from the same exact angle.

Loewi

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 12:12:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
On the real tho, I didn't know the track was referencing X-Men/Marvel as I'm pretty sheltered 😂;

Care to elaborate on any more lines tippi?

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 12:51:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink

okay, so this is the juggernaut, so you can see where the name of the track comes from. he's a villain from the x-men comics. he has superhuman strength and speed, and once he gains momentum he's pretty much unstoppable.

- "my fit got a head like the dome of a stadium"

- "dont turn away from me, look in my eyeholes"

- "i ran hard, my footprints covered the coast
i be running through walls cause im buffer than most

- "my eyes glow in my hood, like a demon from hell
my old self locked away, no key to the cell
they shooting spells to my head, it's up to me to repel"

- "started walking now my legs in perpetual motion"

these lines all describe the juggernaut. then there's the references to other characters:

black tom = black tom cassidy, a former partner of the juggernaut

- "Black Tom got style, Erik can pull shit
Got a brother named Charles that be on that bullshit"

- the homie tom got powers so im tugging his cloak

erik = erik lehnsherr aka magneto

- "erik can pull shit" - magneto can control/manipulate metal

charles = charles xavier , the founder of the x-men and the step brother of the juggernaut

- "my brother got heart but he running with psychos
he got a whole gang with him hella disciples
they always tryna fight tho but i stay cool"

the psychos/gang charles runs with is the x-men

- "i got swole cause i wanted revenge
my brother charles got hurt when were playing pretend"

- "my daddy is a hard man, my mother’s a ghost
i keep my head covered or my brother will roast
yall fucking with my head, thoughts tougher than jokes"

kurt marko , cain marko's (juggernaut) father who was an huge asshole in the comics.

charles is telepathic, he can read minds and also project his own thoughts into the minds of others, so he could easily fuck with juggernaut's mind.

fabian cortez is another character from the x-men comics

- "in cortez cuz i feel like fabian"

nightcrawler , another member of the x-men

- "a nightcrawler tried to creep i smell suckers approach"

"i cant lose no argument i got my jewels
i keep my head down pushing like im walking to school
i hold em tight like infinity gems"

there are six infinity gems/stones: soul, power, time, reality, space, gem. whoever has all of them basically has infinite power and is omnipotent/omnipresent. thanos collects all of the in the "infinity gauntlet" event in the comics. he uses this power to wipe out half the population of earth to impress the literal personification of death. this is the event that the marvel films have been leading up to.

i think that's most of the references

Loewi

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 1:01:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Wow, thanks a lot tippi! That's impressive! Is there an electrical ocean in the comics?

"started walking right then, just me and the wind 
that asshole better hope i never see him again"

When I read those lines, I assumed he meant "right" of the political spectrum. Could be a double meaning?

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 1:02:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
oh yeah, i forgot to mention - what he means by "i keep my head covered or my brother will roast" is that the reason juggernaut wears that helmet is because it makes it so charles is unable to read his thoughts or attack him telepathically

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 1:06:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
no, he's saying that his head is an "electrical ocean" which i'm assuming just means that there's a lot on his mind and his mind is racing.

that line you quoted could be a double meaning though for sure, most of the lyrics in the song could be. if someone knew nothing about comics or the x-men they'd probably just think talking about real life and not this fantasy universe.

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 1:06:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
his brain's an electrical ocean*

Loewi

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 1:09:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
That's exactly what I thought when I first heard this song, but your explanation helped me appreciate it even more. Thanks man 👊;

eseph84

Total Posts: 5721
Location: Cleveland www,es1koosh,bandcamp,com www,soundcloud,com/essential1 eseph84 on discogs
posted Friday, September 15, 2017 1:11:08 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
DAMN TIPPI BRAVO!

EXCITED TO HEAR THIS WHEN THE CD DRRRROPS!

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 1:14:24 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
man, typing that made me appreciate that track even more too. i didn't realizing how many references there were until i actually tried to pick it apart line by line.

i think that takes skill to do though, creating a track with a double meaning that's referencing something as niche as comic books while still being vague/subtle enough so that anyone could appreciate it on a surface level.

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 1:18:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
“if you was rich and 'bout to be broke, i can coach you / cuz i can show you how to kill a roach with a boat shoe."

one of my favorite lines from this album lol

Loewi

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 1:23:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
I think that snowflake reference at the beginning of "TLDR (Smithing)" is really fucking clever. It's builds upon the cold motif that appears before and after. Snowflake also being a political terminology to refer to SJW's

dj rolo

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 3:41:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
nerd rap...just kidding tippi, i actually have that first Infinity Gauntlet #1 bagged/boarded

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 3:52:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
for real rolo? that's tight, i got rid of all my floppies a long time ago lol. too much to deal with.

this track is definitely nerd rap though, and mike eagle is a nerd who makes rap music lol.

he's done podcasts talking about the cartoon "adventure time" and the game "dark souls", and the name of his old crew "hellfyre club" is another x-men reference so a track like this really isn't that surprising.

5th point

Total Posts: 432
posted Friday, September 15, 2017 9:30:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
^^ what made you give up the "floppies"? i still collect investment comics although i dont view them as investments im simply giving them to my kids when they get old enough and if they appreciate them (so far so good)

havent peeped this yet but will soon OME is really really hit or miss with me, and really its the sound and delivery, ive always appreciated his lyricism but musically im not feelin alot of his tracks

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 15, 2017 9:50:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i prefer trade paperbacks and hardcovers for many reasons

they're easier to store, long/shortboxes take up a lot of space
i like reading entire story arcs at once so i wait for trades
you get more value for trades/collected editions
many collected editions are oversized so you can better appreciate the art
they look good on a bookshelf
there are no ads
a lot of the time errors/typos will be fixed in the collected editions
trades are easier to loan to people
they're easier to read without damaging, more durable
they have extra features that floppies don't have

there's still a few runs i'd like to collect of series that i have an attachment to/memories of from when i was a kid, like the original doug moench moon knight run, but for the most part i just prefer the collected editions

Lit Jagger

Total Posts: 1658
Location: I like cartoons, southern cities wit lrg moons, faith healers, ex female drug dealers & art booms
posted Saturday, September 16, 2017 9:33:57 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Can't wait for wicked to COme thru and ether this open eagle faggot

5th point

posted Saturday, September 16, 2017 11:12:12 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
i get it tippi i just like watching the movies and shows with my kids then getting the runs or key issues associated with it as like a rememberance thing and just leave the collection to them, so far ive got the full green arrow mike grell run, bunch of flash key issues and randoms, a mix of doc strange, the entire knightfall run including both variants, dark horse star wars, and a shit load of x men including gambits first appearance amongst a bunch of others.

by the way the new sandman with the revisited artwork is goin for like 15 bucks a volume hardcover.

going to the coast tommorrow gonna bump this open mike album ill be back with my thoughts

tippi dink

posted Saturday, September 16, 2017 11:27:35 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
yeah there's nothing wrong with that, i definitely think finally getting that key issue you're missing or a first appearance of a character you like is more exciting than getting an omnibus. like i said, there's a few i would want to get a hold of and either frame or have them graded in by the cgc and put in a case. that's not really where i''m at right now. definitely not buying single issues for ongoing series though, since trades are so much more cost efficient. they're also really easy to flip, i've bought omnis for $50 on IST and then sold them for 3x that years later.

which sandman hardcovers though? overture? i've got that, and all 5 of the absolute editions + death.

Tadow

Total Posts: 474
posted Sunday, September 17, 2017 12:12:23 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Tadow
an OME album getting pinned? now im beginning to think there is fuckery afoot on the forums

5th point

posted Sunday, September 17, 2017 12:24:23 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
^^ explain...fahim has a fraction of the fan base as ome and his shit gets pinned, hellfyre club is as ug as it gets

5th point

posted Sunday, September 17, 2017 12:32:49 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
its a remastered version they just made the artwork more crisp its broken down to ten volumes but there selling for around 15 which is cheap for hardcover

heres a link
https://www.amazon.com/The-Sandman-Vol-Preludes-Nocturnes/dp/1401225756/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383775098&sr=8-2&keywords=Sandman

tippi dink

posted Sunday, September 17, 2017 10:34:15 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
an OME album getting pinned? now im beginning to think there is fuckery afoot on the forums

all major releases get pinned, gino even pinned the thread for wiki's album even though he can't stand his music. both gino and clock like OME though.

besides this album was released on mello music group, i doub't you'd have a problem with any other MMG releases getting pinned.

tippi dink

posted Sunday, September 17, 2017 10:45:19 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
ah yeah i've seen these before, when you said "new" i didn't think you meant 7 years old lol. or did you link the wrong one? looks like it's 15 for paperback and around 30 for the hardcovers of the earlier volumes though. i'd still rather have the absolute editions.

5th point

posted Sunday, September 17, 2017 8:36:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
yea ive been looking to get these cause i only have the kindle versions, what i read on them said they were new but i double checked abd the article i was reading was written in 2013 lol....whats my best bet on getting these in terms of quality and cost from what ive read people seem to prefer the absolute like you said, have you seen the remastered versions is the artwork much better?

also bumped the full album today unfortunately i wasnt feeling it much with the exception of iron hood, the juggernaut references are pretty blatant to me

tippi dink

posted Sunday, September 17, 2017 9:13:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
well those newer recolored trades you're mentioning were basically compiled from the absolute editions, they got that treatment first. so really the only difference is cost, size of the book, ease of reading and the amount of extras. the sandman absolutes are 58 bucks each on IST. you really only need the first 4 to collect the original 75 issue run though.

9/10 i prefer prefer the absolute editions though since that's DC's premium format, they usually put a lot of effort into them. the preacher absolutes are actually made to look like bibles which is pretty cool. the only downside really is how unwieldy they are, i have to read them either on a table or on study throw pillow when i'm in bed.

5th point

posted Sunday, September 17, 2017 11:30:02 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 5th point   Click Here to Email 5th point
nice i think ill go for the absolute, next will be dmz, than mabey preacher

Mr. Swellvedere

Total Posts: 4893
Location: i took your dad out to applebees he ordered twelve dicks in one ass
posted Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:47:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Swellvedere   Click Here to Email Mr. Swellvedere
lol at newbs not knowing Clearly Canadian.

Overall, it's a pretty good album. As aforementioned not better than a few of his other projects, I'm sure this will grow on me.

Loewi

posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 4:04:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Fucking excellent breakdown of the album!

http://www.passionweiss.com/2017/09/20/open-mike-eagle-brick-body-kids-still-daydream/

tippi dink

posted Thursday, September 21, 2017 4:47:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i think it's pretty cool that mike got dan miller from his favorite band and biggest influence, they might giants, to play guitar on legendary iron hood.

All times are ET. The time now is 7:22 PM.Post viewed 804 timesPage: 1 2
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: