Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (23) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Dollar Menu 3

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 137 replies
Page: 1 2 3
AuthorTopic:  Dollar Menu 3
wicked 22.2

Total Posts: 2424
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:33:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wicked 22.2   Click Here to Email wicked 22.2
I actually spent $111.12 on this

Partial IP: 62.144.146

eseph84

Total Posts: 5721
Location: Cleveland www,es1koosh,bandcamp,com www,soundcloud,com/essential1 eseph84 on discogs
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:39:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
yea, but why's it called dollar menu when they charge 5 star restaurant filet mignon prices?
ba dum chiiish!

dj rolo

Total Posts: 2746
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:53:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
^the first Dollar Menu was $1 when it dropped...act like you know tho

Sp 90s

Total Posts: 2442
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:07:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Sp 90s
A CD!? Damn wicked22.2 I thought better of you.

Sp 90s

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:10:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Sp 90s
Don't care about the price. Spending $111 is balling if you got it, but a CD bruh. Those things are the devil.

Loewi

Total Posts: 4356
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:13:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
CD's kick ass!

/close thread

are u ready

Total Posts: 64
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:14:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for are u ready
Can't wait to get mine omg

pause wigga

Total Posts: 16205
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:15:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
lmao, loewi sucks at debate.

and i know it's hard to see, but i mean that lovingly. i really do.

Sp 90s

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:17:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Sp 90s
They're all right, they get the job done, but we all know vinyl is king and the premium choice music format. No doubt bro

Loewi

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:19:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Maybe I do, but I posted my argument for CD's before and I don't feel like repeating myself

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:19:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
<3

Sp 90s

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:20:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Sp 90s
Yea your argument was weak as fuck lololol

SC1989

Total Posts: 1524
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:22:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
Did they send that shit in a jewel case or some paper shit

Loewi

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:26:25 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Motherfuckaz love taunting me lately

wicked 22.2

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:26:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wicked 22.2   Click Here to Email wicked 22.2
CDs are gay actually. But I've bought this and the good book 2 so far this year. Basically with this I just wanted to give Mach Money and really wanted to hear this project. In the future I doubt I'll have the $.

tippi dink

Total Posts: 4454
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:38:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
yeah, i feel like the album form causes a lot of trouble in the industry. on one hand, serious fans want albums. on the other hand, less serious fans want songs. the majority of people are less serious fans. so the priority becomes about the songs, not the albums. artists are more interested, in general, in making good songs, because that's what keeps the boat floating. making a good album is a major achievement, but it's not the priority. so compromises are sometimes made. i don't know a lot of artists who are actually capable of making a good album. there's very few, imo.

definitely, but that's why i gravitated towards underground/independent artists in the first place - they're less likely to compromise, for better or worse. at the end of the day i would rather an artist make the project they want to make than the project they think other people want them to make. i realize that this isn't likely to happen though unless an artist is 100% confident that enough of their fans will enjoy what they make though and will support them, since they've got to put food on the table and keep the lights on. artists like ka, who have a well paying career outside of rap, are an exception. i don't agree there aren't a lot of artists making good, well put together albums though. roc, milo, billy woods, quelle chris, jam baxter, kendrick, jonwayne, elucid, p.o.s, dalek, lojii & swarvy, tyler, open mike eagle, and that's just a few that come to mind with albums this year. you could have probably already guessed that i would list most of those though lol.

artists work on the mainstream stuff, hoping it'll get their names big enough to do the indie/artist created stuff that they actually want to do.

of course, they've got to get their name out there and gain that reputation/credibility. i get that, but it seems like some of these actors or directors never really end up doing what they say they want to do because they're dependent on more people to make these things happen. i'm sure you know more about that than i do though. if you're an artist you don't really have to fight with other people for the ability to make an album, you could just make one and it could sound however you want it to. that's why i enjoy so many of these unknown artists that show up out of nowhere and release an album on bandcamp, i never know what to expect and sometimes i'm surprised at how good they can be. i appreciate the rawness of it and how genuine it seems.

so, to get back to the music, an artist wants to make a good album, but needs to make good songs. only one is required. because of that, the songs stay good, but albums can sometimes suffer.

yeah i think that's what it all comes down to, most people don't care about albums as a whole especially once digital music became popular and people could choose to purchase only the tracks they want or to buy an album and delete the tracks they don't like. it's funny though, because like you said, the concept of an album isn't that old but it seemed to go from being important to being completely overlooked in such a short amount of time. i guess i just appreciate the efforts of some of these more ambitious artists since they're at least trying and are still able to provide a distinct and engaging "album experience", whether or not i end up wanting to listen to it again in the future. just like anything else. there are books and movies i read and watch over and over and then there are the ones i get through once or twice and never feel the desire to return to again. logan is a good example of that, and so is a film like grave of the fireflies. that doesn't mean i didn't enjoy or get anything out of that initial experience though. there are albums that i truly believe are good and can totally see the appeal of but i just don't personally enjoy them. it's all subjective at the end of the day right?

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:28:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i think an individual song can be just as satisfying as a whole album, sometimes. just like how a short story can be better than any novel i read this year.

i think one of the problems of the album is that it's such a big project. the artist wants to do something big -- to make an album. the problem, though, is that a lot of the times, the failures of an album are that some of the songs are no good. and the songs are, first and foremost, what matters. every artist works on making songs more than anything else, and, if the songs aren't good, the album's not going to be good. so, when they try to make the big album, they sometimes screw up the smaller, way more important thing -- the song. the nice thing about films is that they're too big for one person to do. they're too costly. so there's way more quality control. just look at what happened to the han solo star wars film and star wars episode 9. the directors in both cases got fired, because of creative differences. the stakes are too high in film for the people who specialize in every aspect of film - the writing, the cinematography, the directing, the acting, the designing, etc. - to not be on their A game.

with music, though, who specializes in making an album? nobody. everyone practices making songs, and tries to perfect it. whenever someone makes an album, it's like they're winging it. there isn't as much quality control for the bigger piece, and nobody really cares about the bigger piece, since all that matters is if the smaller piece succeeds. even in the underground. the entire album turning out good is almost a luxury.

it's one of the reasons i have problems with the idea of concept albums. so many artists get overwhelmed by them, they end up half assing it. look at lupe's album, the cool. he wanted it to be some grand concept album, but ended up ditching the idea halfway through the project. now the album's a total mess. it's got some great individual songs, but it's a mess of an album, because he couldn't fulfill the big ideas he had, so the small ones - the songs - suffered, in the end. look at de la soul is dead. that's a classic album, but it's a mess too, if we're being real. it's trying to be something like four concept albums all at once. it's like nobody has the ability to fully commit to making a real, bonafide concept album. they're always somewhat concept albums. even the ones that try to commit, like prince paul's thieves album, end up being bad, because there are some bad songs on it, in service of the bigger concept. there's such an imbalance, in general.

if you watch the film, synecdoche new york, the husband makes bigger and bigger pieces of art, and they get more and more complicated and incomplete. meanwhile, in the fringes of the film's plot, the wife is making smaller and smaller pieces of art. the film suggests that the wife is more successful, but i think it's just a conversation starter on the topic. for example, i typically prefer minimalism, but i looooooove when an artist can pull off the maximal. look at francis ford copolla. how can you not love that guy in the 70's?

it's why jorge luis borges never wrote any novel length works. he argued that there was nothing you couldn't say in a short work. if you were good enough with your words, that is. and he was. he felt that if he wrote a longer work, it would just have a bunch of filler in it. now that's my kind of artist, lol.

eseph84

Total Posts: 5721
Location: Cleveland www,es1koosh,bandcamp,com www,soundcloud,com/essential1 eseph84 on discogs
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:48:25 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
dont feel bad loewi, i suck at debating too

politics is for beeches

at rolo, i seriously didn't know. that's reasonable then, who do i send my benji's too?

schoolkid

Total Posts: 608
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:49:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for schoolkid

Partial IP: 15.136.111

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:26:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i think an individual song can be just as satisfying as a whole album, sometimes. just like how a short story can be better than any novel i read this year.

i can agree with that, definitely. there are even specific moments in a song that is otherwise not that impressive, but i'll continue listening to the song over and over again just to get to that one part that i love. that's kind of how i feel about albums too, but on a larger scale. i like that build up to the big moments on an album, or the tracks i like the most. it's like listening to metal and waiting for the guitar solo or listening to post rock and waiting for the crescendo. really i just have different modes though when listening to music, there's times where i want to hear a whole album front to back and then there are times where i just throw on a playlist of my favorites.

with music, though, who specializes in making an album? nobody. everyone practices making songs, and tries to perfect it. whenever someone makes an album, it's like they're winging it. there isn't as much quality control for the bigger piece, and nobody really cares about the bigger piece, since all that matters is if the smaller piece succeeds. even in the underground. the entire album turning out good is almost a luxury.

the songs are the more important part for sure, they're the puzzle pieces. i would just rather have an artist try to do something big and ambitious and possibly fail than to give up and play it safe. artists could easily just release every track they make for a dollar each and let everyone else do what they want with them, but that's not nearly as fun imo. by ignoring the album format i think people are robbing themselves of a more immersive music experience. that's not directed towards you because from what i understand you at least listen to an album once, but it's crazy to me that there are some people out there who just skim through a track or hear 15 seconds of the tracks on an album before decided they don't like them and never want to hear them again.

i can usually appreciate what an artist tried to do with an album, even if i don't think it worked as well as it could have. i agree 100% about quality control though, a lot of these artists just seem to surround themselves with yes men that will tell them whatever they're doing is dope or they don't let anyone hear the album at all until it's almost done. i thought what milo did with his album this year was really smart, he spent over a year touring and performing these new tracks live in order to get a feel for which ones worked the most and what got the best response, and then he whittled down those 50+ songs into a 15 track album. by the time the album was finished, he knew that his fans were going to fuck with it because they basically told him they did. imagine if fahim did that, he might be able to make an album that's actually worth over $100.

it's why jorge luis borges never wrote any novel length works. he argued that there was nothing you couldn't say in a short work. if you were good enough with your words, that is. and he was. he felt that if he wrote a longer work, it would just have a bunch of filler in it. now that's my kind of artist, lol.

it's true that less can be more, but if i really love something then usually more is more, even if that extra length isn't 100% necessary. it's like when we were talking about 20th century boys and you said you didn't want it to end. i've definitely got my limits though, like with those shonen series that are 300+ episodes or 80+ volumes. i think a story should take up as much time as it needs to. i use to love those lengthy 60+ hour rpgs as a kid, but i rarely play them anymore because i just don't have the time to really commit to them. if someone can pull off one of those long, sprawling, epic stories then i'm all for it, but maybe that huge time investment is the reason i have such fond memories of them in the first place.

just out of curiosity, are there any conceptual albums that you think completely work or that you feel like an artist fully commited to the concept as well as making the individual songs good?

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:27:52 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
EG

essays galore

schoolkid

Total Posts: 608
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:29:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for schoolkid
y0 dj cripwalk

Partial IP: 99.169.126

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:48:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i thought what milo did with his album this year was really smart, he spent over a year touring and performing these new tracks live in order to get a feel for which ones worked the most and what got the best response, and then he whittled down those 50+ songs into a 15 track album. by the time the album was finished, he knew that his fans were going to fuck with it because they basically told him they did. imagine if fahim did that, he might be able to make an album that's actually worth over $100.

i don't really think that would work, in general. i've heard rappers perform new songs at concerts, and it wasn't really a worthwhile experience, because the sound quality at concerts is so inconsistent. especially for rap. the bass is always too high. unless it's a song i've heard, and can recognize within all the wall of noise you get from concert speakers, i find it hard to enjoy music at a concert.

you can hear the rapper doing some crazy lyrical gymnastics, no matter what, but it's hard to hear a beat you've never heard at a rap concert, from all my experiences.

plus, fans that went out of their way to come see you live aren't really going to be any better than yes men, i imagine.

i don't know. maybe it works.

usually more is more, even if that extra length isn't 100% necessary. it's like when we were talking about 20th century boys and you said you didn't want it to end. i've definitely got my limits though, like with those shonen series that are 300+ episodes or 80+ volumes. i think a story should take up as much time as it needs to. i use to love those lengthy 60+ hour rpgs as a kid, but i rarely play them anymore because i just don't have the time to really commit to them. if someone can pull off one of those long, sprawling, epic stories then i'm all for it, but maybe that huge time investment is the reason i have such fond memories of them in the first place.

yep, as i said above, there's nothing better than when someone can pull off the maximal, such as urasawa. but the people who can actually, truly pull that shit off are so few and far between, so i don't really hold my breath waiting for them to come along, and accept and enjoy the minimalism. samuel beckett said he did minimalism, because he knew he could never meet the maximalism of james joyce's ulysses or finnegan's wake (beckett was one of the many writers who worked for joyce, btw, trying to find puns and double meanings and stuff like that, as well as writing down his blind ass' dictations).

just out of curiosity, are there any conceptual albums that you think completely work or that you feel like an artist fully commited to the concept as well as making the individual songs good?

can't really think of any off the top of my head right now, tbh. kind of in a rush, though. i'll try to think of some. i think, typically, it's more the musically conceptual albums i think are successful, than the lyrically/textually conceptual albums. i mean, the beach boys' pet sounds is a total masterpiece of instrumentation, but, if you go and listen to smile, the lyrics seem really pretentious to me, because brian wanted to go bigger. he moved away from collaborating with tony asher on intimate love songs, and started working with van dyke parks on these grand americana concept songs, and i think that was one of the big mistakes of his career. kind of lost the focus he had on pet sounds (in a lot more ways than one).

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37375
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:03:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
73 posts, 25 essays, and still no muthafuckin track listing some_text

Partial IP: 73.63.89.4

dj rolo

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:51:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
already told you Clock

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:57:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Yo rolo cut/paste this url and it'll tell you how to post pictures...

https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_images.asp

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 2049
posted Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:31:15 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
im pretty sure thers used cds on my want list that go for 60-80 bucks used but it doesnt mean im willing to pay that. i can barely justify 40 dollars for a cd. i think my limit may be 30-35 especially if its used. but new stuff should never be like this. i could see if ther was a shirt, a hat and a dvd that came with it but cmon, nobodys music is worth this much. is he signing over the masters to me?!

Partial IP: 43.230.209

dj rolo

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:42:43 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
got it

dj rolo

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:37:09 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
read through it, i know how to post images, but the image still has to hosted somewhere, am i wrong?

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:41:36 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
rolo just use imgur to host it, it's a really easy site to use. it would take you like 30 seconds.

imgur.com

wicked 22.2

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:54:42 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for wicked 22.2   Click Here to Email wicked 22.2
It's the best track listing I've ever seen

dj rolo

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:15:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
word tippi, i'll peep it when i get home

dj rolo

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 7:42:59 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
Clock, i thought better of it. i won't post a pic because of all the hate Fahim gets here. i don't even want these clowns seeing the track list, kinda glad they don't got it too after all the shit they talk and insults they spit on the reg...sorry bro

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 7:58:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
u kno wat would be refreshing? if yall would stop writing essays on price and just wait to stream it on youtube. half ther garbage isnt even worth owning neway.

wicked 22.2

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:10:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wicked 22.2   Click Here to Email wicked 22.2
Listening to this and dump goat and the ineffable I am noticing that Fahim has gotten to be a daffy rapper and Mach is even better than befo

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:10:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
lol gino that's not the point, we would have had the same conversation regardless of who the artist was.

it's one thing to buy an album without hearing it, but it's another completely to buy an album for $1000 that doesn't even have a track list available. for all anyone knew, the cd could have had one track on it where mach and fahim just insult the person who bought it over and over again calling them a sucker.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:26:08 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
yea tippi but u understand u and 88 are talking to brick walls at this point. let them do wat they want but like i said. ive streamed most of the expensive shit and all the shit that never had tracklistings or they made fans wait and id say 1 outta 5 is worth owning.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:46:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
lol if we didn't talk about the pricing these threads would just be the same 3-4 people in an echo chamber discussing albums no one else has heard. it's an interesting topic imo.

besides, for all we know the reason the last few fahim releases have been 12 dollars is because of the criticism he's gotten for it, we all know he reads these forums.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:49:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
^^^exactly, and prolly 15 replies. let em be and let these 2 dudes fade into oblivion. mach is getting shine outside the bandcamp crowd but fahim isnt really. these guys wont be around in 3 yrs.

Clockworx (Admin)

posted Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:41:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Yo WJ can you can get a more zoomed in shot of the album track listing? Thanks in advance.

dj rolo

posted Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:04:06 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
i've never seen people with whom a pair of artists that they hate so much, yet their lives are totally consumed by those artists, act like this ...crazy

tippi dink

posted Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:29:18 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
come on, don't be so hyperbolic rolo, no one's life is being "consumed by these artists" lol. a lot of this discussion isn't even about mach or fahim personally, it's about the business models and marketing strategies. it's got nothing to do with the actual quality of the music, it could be an artist that fuck with and these threads would turn out exactly the same.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:33:24 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
an artist that we all fuck with*

dj rolo

posted Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:41:17 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
i wasn't referring to you tipp, but the language here isn't referring to business anything, it's direct insults and slanderous speech, you see it...so don't defend it. it's one thing to say hey i don't agree with the pricing (which don't make sense cuz it's not a fact of agree, its can you afford or not, period) or disagree with the business model, but calling artists names and fgt this and fgt that isn't constructive

tippi dink

posted Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:52:49 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
oh i see it for sure, but those people aren't the ones typing paragraphs like me and 88, i just see some low-effort offhanded comments from people so that's why i said it's hyperbolic for you to say people are dedicating their whole lives to talking about artists the hate.

why do you automatically assume that everyone complaining about the price can't afford it though? all the word afford means is that you have enough money to pay for something, it's got nothing to do with whether or not you think it's worth that amount. there's a bunch of people that would have been able to afford to buy that $2 million dollar wu-tang clan cd, but shkreli was the one who bought it because he was the one that felt it was worth the money. these people commenting on the price could be millionaires, and most of them still wouldn't buy dollar menu 3.

Loewi

posted Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:04:29 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
If I was a millionaire, I'd buy all the DM3 copies for myself so no one else can hear it 😉;

dj rolo

posted Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:10:49 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
Loewi wouldn't that make you a hoarder? kidding bro lol

tippi dink

posted Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:17:52 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
nah loewi would make fans compete in a fear-factor style competition, and the winner will get to listen to the album one time on shitty phone speakers.

dj rolo

posted Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:24:04 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
tipp, much rather see a death race-style competition where people risk their lives for a Mach CD ...i guarantee that most of the competitors will be the people who hate on him on this forum

tippi dink

posted Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:34:21 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
lol what makes you think people would be willing to risk their lives for a cd they wouldn't pay 187 dollars for? i think the competitors would just be the same people buying his albums now.

Seme__one

Total Posts: 1179
posted Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:57:09 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
101st reply bump

All times are ET. The time now is 7:14 PM.Post viewed 1803 timesPage: 1 2 3
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: