UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (20) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
*** What Made The "pre Internet" Days Of Hip Hop Soo Special ***

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 48 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  *** What Made The "pre Internet" Days Of Hip Hop Soo Special ***
Platform28

Total Posts: 385
posted Tuesday, November 07, 2017 11:06:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Platform28
Was having a talk with my friends earlier tonight and thought I would make a post about it. Do you guys feel the hip hop world was better "pre internet days" or "post internet days"?

Personally I feel that the "pre internet days" were the best days for hip hop for one simple fact... there was a certain level of mystique for an artist or group. It always kept you guessing and wanting to know more, nowadays everything is expose on the internet and getting back to what I stated in a previous post "less is more"... this is a perfect example of that... The fan doesn't get exhausted with information overload... it made u want to read the inserts of albums and go to the newstands to read the new source mag to get some more information about stuff... what you guys think and what era do you like?? pre or post internet days for hip hop?

Partial IP: 224.194.89

Seme__one

Total Posts: 1295
Location: I hate this board that's why I post here most days.
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 5:02:47 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
yes, it was all better when it was just fields

Mario also, is in fact a Carpenter, and NOT a Plumber!!!!

He is also responsible for mass genocide in the Mushroom Kingdom, as each brick block he smashes is in fact a resident of the kingdom who has been transformed into a brick!

In addition, he is a cruel animal owner. Donkey Kong was kept locked up in a cage just barely big enough to fit him in for days on end, so when he finally broke out he kidnapped Mario's girlfriend in revenge. Yes, this IS the true story behind the first Mario game and watch.

Hope this clears it up.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 3114
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 5:05:00 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
welcome to the next 3 page thread. 88 and tippi gonna run wild on u hulk hogan style in here.

the internet ruined things and made some things. i like that thers so much out ther now and that u can basically talk to ur favorite artist now via social media but it ruined the music buisness in general as far as sales and great music stores.

Partial IP: 43.230.209

Seme__one

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 5:15:57 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
observe was better pre op

tippi dink

Total Posts: 5171
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 10:59:38 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
lol gino are you going to say that in every thread now? in the future if you say that i just won't post in those threads just to spite you

this one is too easy though, hip hop and music in general was made better by the internet. the barrier between artists/fans was broken down. artists have an equal opportunity to have their music heard all over the world regardless of where they live and they get more promotion/exposure. fans have access to all music ever released from artists all over the world and can share it with other people. without the internet there's so many artists i would have never heard about.

Norman Stansfield

Total Posts: 1443
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 2:22:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Norman Stansfield
The large amount of not so talented artists that under the old circumstances would never even come close to having their music see the light of day.
Now you have to sift through their shit as well to find something you do enjoy, let alone suffer through their sometimes preposterous claims of legitimacy & talent based solely on the fact that they have music out, when now ANYONE can release music with the right money behind them.

Total Posts: 16725
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 3:39:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
it's a tricky question. hip hop made music and artists more accessible to fans, but it also kind of killed music.

when people started illegally downloading rather than buying, the labels freaked the fuck out. people would only buy the most popular shit, so labels had to adapt to the most popular thing in order to keep making money. so, for a while, labels became way more cautious about what they invested in, and started wanting carbon copies of what was popular (ie tupac), so you saw a lot of the same stuff getting pumped out of every label.

it kind of forced the underground to get bigger, because all these artists that the too-cautious labels were rejecting had to go independent. fans wanting diversity had to look to the underground to get any kind of variety from the norm.

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 3:46:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
The large amount of not so talented artists that under the old circumstances would never even come close to having their music see the light of day.
Now you have to sift through their shit as well to find something you do enjoy, let alone suffer through their sometimes preposterous claims of legitimacy & talent based solely on the fact that they have music out, when now ANYONE can release music with the right money behind them.

i think there's a silver lining to that, though. since there's so much music out there now, the control of what is actually popular is more in the hands of fans now than ever. labels can't really push untalented artists into the limelight anymore, because labels are basically irrelevant now.

in other words, if an artist is popular, it generally is because they actually deserve to be popular, via being good artists. i know that correlation isn't completely solid yet, because the tainting effects of bad label/music biz influence is still wearing off on people's tastes, but it's going to get there, as time goes on, and we move further and further away from label/business influence, and more towards the reliance on genuine popularity.

eseph84

Total Posts: 6056
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 4:34:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
lol it doesn't even take money normy

i.e. i have no money lol

just enough to pay bills, keep foods on the table, and buy an ughh order every few months

i just magically make albums appear out of my ass like a good dump gotti should

eseph84

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 4:39:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
without the internet i would've never heard edan

the internet is a good thing for hip hop

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 4:44:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i wouldn't have all you, my only friends in the world, without the internet.

eseph84

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 5:14:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
daha end thread

seriously, without the internet we wouldn't be able to abuse as many strangers behind the comfort of our keyboards (what's more hip hop than that??)

platform u coo btw. dont let these fuckers fuck with you, fuck them fuckers and just say fuck it & lets get fucked up and say ftw

bUcKtHaDeViL

Total Posts: 1351
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 6:32:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
Yeah the internet fucked it all up man. It became more about the hit songs and less about the albums.

Tapes, CDs and records were cool with the artwork and the booklets.

It's great that I have every album the instant it comes out right on my phone but I liked going to the store and digging though the hip hop section a lot more.

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 6:34:25 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i agree about missing the times of going to the store and getting music. those were the days.

Lit Jagger

Total Posts: 2275
Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 6:48:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Wait the pre internet days were more special than pro internet age? I clearly don't remember any wayne albums or mixatpes any Kanye albums , any Lupe albums, Jay z albums , 2 Pac albums , etc dropping before the net .

Lit Jagger

Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 6:49:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
88 shut up, you were 3 years old during Napster , what do you know

Lit Jagger

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 6:52:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
And tip is 25 he can't be serious . Him and 88 are writing duck tale essays about a life they never lived 😂;😂;😂;

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 6:56:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
karim's family couldn't afford a computer until 2005, so i guess he's in the same boat as us here.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 7:01:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
lol my whole post was about how great the internet is, you illiterate fuck

Lit Jagger

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 8:49:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Sure I had the internet back in 92. Your ass wasn't even born 😂;😂;😂;

Porkelin

Total Posts: 230
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 8:55:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Porkelin
Ever heard an old man bragging about his age?

Porkelin

Total Posts: 230
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:01:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Porkelin
Scratch that. Ever heard a GROWN man brag about his age?

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:08:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i had the internet my whole life, so that's what i'm speaking on lol. you're not making any sense, but i guess that's nothing new.

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:34:57 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
No Jay Z albums, no 2pac albums before the net huh?

So I guess you downloaded Reasonable Doubt when it came out? Same thing with 2pacalypse Now?

LOL What a fucking IDIOT!!!

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:36:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
Step ya troll game up fuck boi.

You don't even make sense half the time. lmaooooo

Lit Jagger

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:37:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
No good 2 Pac albums before the net, nice try tho. And Jay z was out during the net .

Lit Jagger

posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:38:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
This dude is mad cuz I'm right , reasonable doubt wasn't even popular back then

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37959
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:54:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Platform just admit you made this thread cause of my post...

20 years ago it was more the norm for an album to be over 60 minutes. But in the instant gratification, Soundcloud/YouTube/Bandcamp era we're living in today, most people have shorter attention spans. As a result, shorter releases tend to be more favorable then longer ones because there's 10 new releases each week.

You ended up talking to your buddies about it as a result of my above post which led to this thread being made. So yea, give credit where its due bruh.

To answer the question, it was easier to listen to music before the download age. Riding my bike to the local record shop weekly to buy the newest releases was nostalgic for sure. Not knowing until you play the CD what to expect. Yea at times it'd be disappointment (Canibus' debut album) and at times id be pleasantly surprised (La The Darkman - Heist Of The Century). But spending $15 on an album made me value it more in terms of giving it more of a chance. Nowadays there are so many albums that if an album doesn't click for me the first listen or two ill never listen to it again. This isn't a knock but it's tough to explain to the younger heads the excitement of walking into a CD store on release day.

With that being said, while i don't like the abundance of music released seemingly daily, i enjoy the aspect of being able to listen to albums before i blindly waste a bunch of money on them.

Partial IP: 73.10.82.7

LhiteWines

Total Posts: 79
posted Wednesday, November 08, 2017 11:20:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for LhiteWines
Almost everything was better pre-internet.

NoHeadlights

Total Posts: 54048
posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:45:10 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for NoHeadlights
Lol clock with the pwnt

Lit Jagger

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 3:37:06 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
If you weren't on the net in 06 you wouldn't understand the impact Lupe fiasco had on rap. Biggest buzz on the net yet. Everyone was anticipating his album after they heard the leak. Boxden was lit back then. Man those were good times , me working at the hydro shop listening to Lupe on the over head speakers all day cuz my boss was downloading his songs

Lit Jagger

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 3:38:40 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
That's when I first heard Lupe and I knew he would be great. Soon as the album dropped I bought it and played it constantly. Best times in my life and I will always cherish the memory

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 10:30:13 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
it's kind of nonsense, though, to argue that pre-internet days were better. in clock's example, sure, you could focus on the album you bought easier back then, but you couldn't really get access to, or even know about some of the rarer hip hop releases. without the internet, who hear would have heard of, let alone listened to the brotherz bent album? with the internet, yes, there's certainly too much to listen to, but everything you want to hear is also easily accessible, rather than impossible to find.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 12:54:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i feel like anyone who says pre-internet is better is just reminiscing and approaching this topic with rose tinted glasses, rather than looking at it logically. obviously you're going to look back on those memories fondly, but i feel like the internet made music objectively better because you can find anything you're looking for, regardless of what country it's from or what year it was made. also like 88 said, the listeners have more power when it comes to determining what blows up/becomes popular.

sure the internet made it possible for anyone to put out music, with no form of quality control in place to stop them, but you don't have to listen to every single project/track that gets put out on bandcamp or soundcloud. there's so many different ways to skip that step completely if you don't want to take the time to sort through it all.

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:01:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
isn't the whole reason most people lurk or board on a forum like this is to find filtered recommendations? instead of just surfing youtube, soundcloud, or bandcamp all day for good music, you come to (for example) ughh forums to hear what people with similar tastes recommend you check out.

before the internet, it was a lot harder to get specific, informed recommendations, because communication wasn't as open. again, who here would even know about the brothaz bent album or about fahim, were it not for the internet?

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:04:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
now, not only are the fans more informed about the history, due to accessibility, but artists are too. who knows if roc marciano would be as good as he is without the internet. there are artists who influenced his music that might not have, had he not been able to look them up on the internet.

hell, look at foreign exchange. you wouldn't have that debut album of theirs without the internet, because phonte and nicolay never met irl before or during the recording of that album. they did it entirely through online correspondence with one another.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:15:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i can't speak for anyone else but that's definitely the main reason i started coming on here. there's so many different resources out there to get recommendations or find out what's getting a lot of attention at the moment, and i feel like if someone doesn't utlize those resources then that's on them. you've got review sites, playlists, social media, rateyourmusic, forums, the best-selling section on bandcamp, podcasts/online radio shows, etc to help you discover new music. yeah it's overwhelming but if you're selective about who's opinions you listen to it's always been pretty easy for me to find new stuff that i like.

SC1989

Total Posts: 1708
posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:19:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
From a UK Point of view
The internet screwed up the scene now any Tom Dick and Harry road man can upload a video youtube have 50k gassed up fans.
Pre Internet these people would been laughed at for stating they are busting at the ops on the block and now they are widely accepted and the Lyrical side with the british slang is getting pushed out for the likes of Dave 67 or some other mateys who think they are from Chiiii Ottoman Town

Seme__one

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:34:59 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
pre internet and not just because its rose tinted

it was a lot harder to find out about good music, which in turn made the reward of when you did even better. Now its just easy....its not hard work to use the net, google, bandcamp etc.

before it was regular trips to the store, friends houses, whats on a boombox, taping and listening to radio, word of mouth....and you could miss so much, but if you worked at it you always got the good stuff. Just going through each others record collections and throwing stuff on for a spin, you discovered so much. Then it also was checking all the mags, seeing what was gonna drop, what shows, what gossip etc....it also made going to shows better as it wasn't so easy to access live performances...watching MTV was a must, I actually looked forward to checking new vids. There was so much more to it than just surfing the net, it was more of a community, you had to be immersed and put the time in. Now its just too easy, things are better when you have to put some effort in.

Music wasn't so disposable as it is now, the amount of times on this forum people only play an LP for a few times then discard it....less is more

New Artists now I feel find it harder to actually make money, it was difficult before but now there are just so many new artists. Yes its easier to get the music out there but its harder to get it heard. The music industry still hasn't really figured out how to make money in this age of streaming, downloading and piracy, and UGHH is an example of how its affecting physical buying with year on year less sales.So many of my local stores are gone, some really excellent places now just gone.

So for me, it was better before, I can understand there are lots of pluses to the net, and for people who grew up with it probably find it hard to imagine what it was like before, but it was so different.

Maybe I am just a Luddite wearing rose tinted specs

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:56:57 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
don't forget that artists are fans too. they get their influences from hearing other artists. now that it's easier for fans to access more music, it's also easier for artists to be more influenced. there are more resources for the artists to take advantage of. i don't think there's any way to argue that that isn't a good thing for the art.

Yes its easier to get the music out there but its harder to get it heard.

this statement, in my mind, makes me feel like the artists that do get heard actually earned it, unlike before, when the music biz put artists that weren't very good in front of the audience. there's no more cheating your way towards fame. you have to actually be good, in some way. the fame is more real than ever, and it'll only get more real in the years to come.

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:16:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
you made some good points but there are a couple things i disagree on

Music wasn't so disposable as it is now

i don't necessarily agree with this, if music is disposable that's because the artist made disposable/forgettable music. a lot of stuff now is either very derivative/unoriginal or too left field for most people who grew up listening to hip hop in the 90s/early 2000s. even without the internet, if you heard some of these albums that come out today you'd still forget about them a year later. there's a ton of releases from the past 10 years that i still see people talk about, because of how easy it is for someone to recommend them and because they're so easy to access.

UGHH is an example of how its affecting physical buying with year on year less sales. So many of my local stores are gone, some really excellent places now just gone.

overall physical sales are obviously down, but i think the main reason people are buying less from UGHH in particular because it's usually cheaper to buy them directly from the artist via bandcamp or another website, there's just more options and not really any incentive to buy from UGHH other than to support the site. physical storess disappearing is evident though, and it's a shame.

i definitely see where you're coming from and why you might feel that way though. despite the fact that i grew up with the internet, i still went to music stores all the time when i was younger. when i was in middle school i used to skip lunch for a week and then take that money and go to borders after school on friday and buy a cd, so there is that nostalgia there for me as well even if i didn't do those things out of necessity. overall i think the pros greatly outweigh the cons though.

Seme__one

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:25:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
^ hmmmm I'm not so sure there is plenty of bad artists pushed into the spotlight, the reality pop stars spring to mind. Admittedly it doesn't apply to Hip Hop these talent show "stars"

but take my favorite example Hus. I dl'ed loads of his shit, so much that its too daunting to listen to it. If I had heard his music before downloading, or actually brought say an LP, I would listen to it. It was just so much I put myself off him without listening, I find that strange....and the flip is I am probably missing out on loads of good artists, because its so overwhelming, I don't have time to check them out, there is so much. I get say an email from Bandcamp the other day, it was beat tapes, I skimmed through, some of it was really good. I made the mistake of checking them all, about 20 or so, at the end of it I was lost and couldn't be fucked to go through them again to find my favorites...maybe its just me but digitally I am very apathetic, the sheer volume there is so much.

But you are damn right, this place does filter a lot of it for me, so I can check posters rec's and not waste time which it takes a lot of to say sift through bandcamp. But I am sure I am still missing out on some good music. TBH I don't really know where I am going with this so I think I will stop rambling...

Seme__one

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:38:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
yeah I can dig where Tippi and 88' are coming from

you both make good points

I must admit I am amazed by how much music is consumed by some of the posters on this site....I just couldn't listen to so much myself and that's not a shot at anyone, I just tend to listen to stuff I like a lot, so have a smaller amount of time I want to spend checking out new music

which makes the UGHH filter so handy

tippi dink

posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:49:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
the way i see it, the internet gives every artist a chance to succeed and have their music be heard. not saying that every artist that blows up deserves it more than every artist who doesn't, but i think it kind of evened the playing field. artists are also able to connect more with fans from all over the world, so from that perspective the internet is better without a doubt. i like a lot of niche artists that others might not care for that much, and without the internet i probably wouldn't have ever had the opportunity to discover them. at the end of the day what's important to me is that the music reaches the ears of those who would enjoy it, and the internet helps make that happen.

but take my favorite example Hus. I dl'ed loads of his shit, so much that its too daunting to listen to it. If I had heard his music before downloading, or actually brought say an LP, I would listen to it. It was just so much I put myself off him without listening, I find that strange

i get how that can be overwhelming, but why not just listen to one or two of his projects? make a thread asking what his best projects are, and start with those. then if you like them enough, listen to some others. make it a goal to check out one hus album every weekend or something. it took me like 12 years to hear all of moka only's music because he's put out 65+ projects.

Phatbeets

Total Posts: 11713
Location: While everyone was looking up at the sun, i was looking at the birds and cats and insects going cray
posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:12:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Phatbeets
its not the internet that is at fault - its a result of the cheap access to digital recording methods. Back in the day independent artists booked some time in the studio and it was far from cheap for a very limited time. Therefore they were prepared / motivated to the fullest to make the most of it. Nowadays producing an album doesn't cost shit and the effort most artists put into it is basic. Why would they? if the album sux they'll drop another one next month.

Partial IP: 12.114.179

Phatbeets

Total Posts: 11713
Location: While everyone was looking up at the sun, i was looking at the birds and cats and insects going cray
posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:13:17 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Phatbeets
the internet is just the publishing media

Partial IP: 12.114.179

dick_wolf

Total Posts: 22502
posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:57:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dick_wolf
It honestly wasn't special, it was what you we're into as kid and just like everything that everyone was into as kid be it remote control trucks or boogie boarding is looked upon fondly...hiphop before the internet is for you.

dyme secta

Total Posts: 178
posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 5:18:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dyme secta
Before and during the early days on the internet the hip hop community
was super tight. Distinctions between commercial and underground have

existed for some time. However If it was new rap listeners made it square
business to consume, debate, and enjoy. The popular grunge and rock crowds then

taunted the community labeling Retards Attempting Poetry. That changed
over time. Now cross pollination between cultures is evident in the sounds of the music.

Willingness to confront external harassment and minimal internal friction was a
strength. Wack emcees, trolls, and bystanders were okay with their lot.

They had little will or courage to interfere with the emerging phenomena
of creative expression through hip hop on the internet.

Dope emcees dominated chat rooms and then message boards followed by forums.
It was a lot of fun. Few then thought it hip hop on the internet would be what it is now.

Quality post. Later.

- dymesecta

are u ready

Total Posts: 354
posted Thursday, November 09, 2017 5:57:15 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for are u ready
the outernet didnt ruin hi[ hop, commercial wrap ruined hip hop also 88 and tipppi ruined the outernet

All times are ET. The time now is 6:59 AM.Post viewed 618 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: