UndergroundHipHop.com Black Friday Sale
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (22) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Words Worth A Thousand Pictures By Hex One

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 145 replies
Page: 1 2 3
AuthorTopic:  Words Worth A Thousand Pictures By Hex One
WiCkEd22

Total Posts: 36014
Location: SF Bay Area www,twitter,com/BayAreaWicked audiomack,com/artist/wicked22 www,hulkshare,com/wicked22
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:15:13 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for WiCkEd22   Click Here to Email WiCkEd22

how the fuck are you going to say slug is nerdy and hex isn't when hex is the one talking about science fiction, traveling through space, UFO's, and making references to voltron, cybertron, and galactus? it makes no sense whatsoever.

^BECAUSE THE SUBJECT MATTER IS IRRELEVANT... SLUG SOUNDS LIKE A NERDY WHITE GUY FROM THE 'BURBS! First time I listened to Atmosqueer back in '97 I had NO CLUE who they were but as soon as I dropped the needle on the record within seconds I knew they were white. And look, being white isn't the issue cuz there's always been dope MC's that were/are white (MC Serch, Apathy, Daniel Son, etc.), it's just when you get these corny white dudes from the 'burbs who spit it almost always doesn't sound good. As Guru once said... It's Mostly Tha Voice! Just sayin... *shrugs*

Shit is pretty dope. A bit too similar song to song in terms of the vibe but at least it's one dope ass vibe over and over. Dude is nice.

^Word up, Lex.

Partial IP: 62.144.146

Lit Jagger

Total Posts: 2275
Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:18:12 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
White female rapoers make better music than white males , iggy , white girl mob .

tippi dink

Total Posts: 4947
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:26:33 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
slug isn't white though, he's blacker than hex one lol, and hex one sounds nerdy as fuck. the subject matter isn't irrelevant at all, hex one is a nerd who makes rap referencing a bunch of nerdy topics. it's nerd rap. if hex one spit some mc chris or megaran lyrics, it would still be nerd rap.

NoHeadlights

Total Posts: 53821
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:31:19 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for NoHeadlights

Space aliens draconian Greys with a strange alias
Uncivil reptilians who evade Pleiadians
Drain craniums motherships that invade stadiums
Crazed pagans and Martian plains that display gradients
Crop circles in plain grain with insane radius
Herds of cattle with drained veins and with maimed tracheas
Ronald Reagan's deranged statement has raised craziness
It's fate maybe this great nation was raised atheist
But mainly it's to make your brain react and hurt your vision
I hope you heard them zany maniacs could work efficient
They spread disinformation first and keep the earth in prison
Being driven by your thirst to listen was your worst decision
Divert your wisdom with them camera tricks
Equipped with manuscripts elliptic planet trips and ancient landing strips
Gigantic shifts in plate tectonics and volcanic rifts
Will cause you panicked pricks to sit and wait for Satan's magic tricks
I stay debating how these cats is ruthless
The only UFOs I know are NASA satellites that track your movements
The only aliens is politicians and the invasion is their propositions
Fiction? yo I got suspicions / The plots is missing from this equation
But listen even freemason flee agents in this bleak matrix
I know the search for information yo it seems basic
But it drives you crazy in extreme cases stick to the program

Is tipping trolling by asking whats nerdy in this verse, gtfoh

WiCkEd22

Location: SF Bay Area www,twitter,com/BayAreaWicked audiomack,com/artist/wicked22 www,hulkshare,com/wicked22
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:33:53 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for WiCkEd22   Click Here to Email WiCkEd22

slug isn't white though, he's blacker than hex one lol, and hex one sounds nerdy as fuck. the subject matter isn't irrelevant at all, hex one is a nerd who makes rap referencing a bunch of nerdy topics. it's nerd rap. if hex one spit some mc chris or megaran lyrics, it would still be nerd rap.

^NOPE! And Slug is half white (Irish, Norwegian, African-American and Native American descent). His white side shines though with his nerdy-sounding voice. It is what it is...

tippi dink

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:38:26 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i was trolling 100%, that's the nerdiest shit i've ever heard in my life

and hex one sounds like a nerd, so it's nerd rap.

WiCkEd22

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:42:00 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for WiCkEd22   Click Here to Email WiCkEd22

^Nope!

tippi dink

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:48:55 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
^Yup!

WiCkEd22

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:50:43 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for WiCkEd22   Click Here to Email WiCkEd22

tippi dink

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:53:37 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink

SC1989

Total Posts: 1669
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:54:20 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
This shit way more nerdy than anything Slugs has made.
It the voice so you gotta sound Ghetto to make Nerdy shit which to Wicked will not be nerdy shit cause they sound Ghettooooosssss

WiCkEd22

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:59:15 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for WiCkEd22   Click Here to Email WiCkEd22

^Huh?!

no mask

Total Posts: 7694
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 6:17:42 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
so corny/nerdy white dudes only come from "the burbs" O.K.. another classist bigot remark from wickid who is from the burbs and is a nerdy white dude.

LOL

SC1989

Total Posts: 1669
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 7:25:48 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
So if Slug sounded like GZA would he still be a nerd or if GZA subject matter was like Jonwaynes would he be a nerd?
Hex One is nerd from the hollywood hills.

eseph84

Total Posts: 5941
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 8:03:18 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
wicked is a fuckin moron

tippi bodied him in this thread and destroyed the image he had of his anti galactus hero lol

some of the other stuff wicked been saying "just ordered" or "just got" on here lately been looking nerdy and lame as fuck too lol jussayin

sidenote: seriously all jokes aside, i honestly dont look at emcees like that anymore cuz i haven't been 12 in 20 years, i dont overly like or dislike hex. to me he can spit, but so can slug, aesop, lupe sometimes, megaran, es-1 some times, willie evans jr all the time, etc.

no mask

Total Posts: 7694
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 8:23:35 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^yeah wickid always like: "just ordered", "just got", "got it direct from hex's dick". haha

o.k , we know- you got every physical. whats that matter??

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 2032
Location: Hot box, handsome on a hill, watchin' night lights stretch. A Los Angeles journalist like Fletch.
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 9:51:39 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
Slug isn't from the Burbs. You are.

Maybe you should check your ears and adjust your "Burbs" sound.

Total Posts: 16534
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 11:36:31 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
why is wicked so obsessed with black guys? why does he keep bringing race up itt, lol.

the logic here for wicked is that, if you're white, you're immediately dismissed. but... wicked's white...

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 2738
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 11:37:42 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
who is black in slugs family? i want proof on this

Partial IP: 43.230.209

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 11:39:24 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i love wicked, but, not even joking, i've been convinced for years that he's a closet gay for black guys. i don't even think he's conscious of it.

Nassau William Senior

Location: Hot box, handsome on a hill, watchin' night lights stretch. A Los Angeles journalist like Fletch.
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 11:39:29 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
88, ask Rachel Dolezal

dj rolo

Total Posts: 2927
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 11:44:21 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
i'm a big Epidemic fan, always been, Monochrome Skies to me one of the best albums of 2012, and i've always liked everything Hex did solo so i'ma give it a chance...but i can understand how people say it sounds similar to other projects. could you use the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" here? or do artists have an obligation to constantly reinvent themselves or raise the bar? ...asking for myself

tippi dink

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 11:50:45 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
he's trying to distance himself from white people as much as possible because being white isn't hip hop and he's ashamed

he's like the white version of uncle ruckus from the boondocks

this idea that you can talk about the nerdiest shit ever in a rap song but it's not nerd rap unless you sound white is so ridiculous that it's laughable. there's black rappers out there who don't sound nerdy and would consider the music they make to be "nerd rap", and there's also an entire subgenre of hip hop called nerdcore which a bunch of rappers rep proudly. just because you don't like the sound of a rappers voice doesn't make their music nerd rap lol. also hex one's subject matter is much nerdier than slug's or a number of other rappers you hate on. when/if GZA finally drops dark matter, that's going to be considered nerd rap. if hex one rapped the lyrics to "fette's vette" by MC chris, it would still be nerd rap. the fact that you're even trying to argue that subject matter has nothing to do with it makes you sound like a dumbass, especially when you bring race into it even though you're also white.

tippi dink

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 11:55:46 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
who is black in slugs family? i want proof on this

he's said in interviews that his mother's white and his father is black/native american

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 11:58:20 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i'm a big Epidemic fan, always been, Monochrome Skies to me one of the best albums of 2012, and i've always liked everything Hex did solo so i'ma give it a chance...but i can understand how people say it sounds similar to other projects. could you use the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" here? or do artists have an obligation to constantly reinvent themselves or raise the bar? ...asking for myself

to me, epidemic doesn't have enough variation in their rhymes. hex always has the same flow on every track. i think the problem, to me, is that their style becomes exhausting, because, in literally every verse, they're trying to rhyme as many syllables in their words as possible. i've used the example before, when discussing my problem with epidemic -- one of the reasons the wu-tang emcees were so popular was because of the varieties in style. each had a different style of how they rhymed. inspectah deck was like hex one, always trying to do multis, but rza was smart enough to match inspectah deck's verses up with verses from other emcees in the group who weren't trying to do lyrical gymnastics. if wu-tang consisted entirely of inspectah deck bomb atomically verses, wu wouldn't be nearly as popular. it's specifically because the bomb atomically verses from deck were rare that they were popular and great. there needs to be variety. you can't try to do multis in every single verse of every single track, because it's just too much. it becomes repetitive.

the harlem globetrotters are another good example. those guys are endlessly doing basketball tricks, to the point that it becomes boring to watch, because eventually every trick looks the same. kyrie irving, however, people love seeing him do tricks, because he's not only doing tricks. he's also being fundamental. there's variety there. which makes the tricks more special when they happen. if the tricks were constantly happening in every play (like they do with the globetrotters), they wouldn't be as special when they happened, and the fans would eventually hate the tricks. hex is more like the globetrotters in this example. the lyrical gymnastics are only special if they only happen occasionally. if they happen in every verse of every track, they lose their magic. rza was a genius for how he diversified styles in his group.

LEX718

Total Posts: 644
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:07:12 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for LEX718
I could never get into Slug or Atmosphere either. I've grown a bit of a recent appreciation for Aesop Rock but it's still not my cup of tea. I respect the hell out of both of those dudes though. Music is all subjective. Some people will like shit because they like the subject matter, some won't. Some people enjoy or appreciate certain natural vocal tones while others don't find it aesthetically pleasing. At the end of the day, people will like and whatever appeals to them and label it how they choose. I can see why people would call Canibus' Niggonometry nerd rap, doesn't make me think it's any less dope.

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:10:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
the other problem is the visibility of hex' efforts. what makes an emcee great at doing multis isn't his/her ability to do multis for days (see: my globetrotters metaphor above). instead, it's their ability to make the multis seem natural/invisible. with hex, you hear every rhymed syllable in a bar, because of the way he writes. it's kind of a showing off style, where he wants you to hear what he's doing. the problem with that, though, is that it becomes all you can hear in the bar. you stop listening to the content of what he's saying, because of how distracting the rhyming is.

i'm listening to common right now. the track, resurrection. he's doing so many multis right now, but they're not distracting me from hearing what he's actually saying, because he's talented enough to make the multis come off naturally. they don't draw attention to themselves. the multis are more "invisible" with common than they are with hex.

jay-z's a master of making his multis invisible. to the point that sometimes you don't even realize he's doing multis, unless you listen closely. it all seems completely effortless. with hex, though, it doesn't seem effortless. you hear every single rhymed syllable with hex. and he wants you to, because he wants you to know how good he is. the problem, though, is that it comes off as lacking confidence. i'm still listening to resurrection. common's saying a multi and moving on, careless of whether you heard it or not. there's a confidence there, just like how there is when kyrie does a crossover. because kyrie's crossovers are functional. he's doing them for a specific reason - to get to the hoop - rather than just doing them for the sake of doing them to impress the crowd.

function over form, guys. that's how all art needs to be. if form is coming first, like it is with hex, it's failing at the fundamental level.

tippi dink

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:27:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
yeah i feel the same way as 88, it's not just that the subject matter is the same or it's the same type of beats, it's that a lot of the songs overall sound really similar. yeah epidemic's stuff is good but it's also very repetitive, and safe. it's like a magician doing the same trick over and over again or a stand-up comedian that never changes his set and does the same jokes every time he performs.

compare epidemic to the doppelgangaz, another duo that emerged around the same time. the doppelgangaz have continued to evolve and grow as artists, but they still sound like the doppelgangaz. i can't say the same for epidemic, which is fine if you like that one sound and want to listen to 100 tracks that are similar, but it's disappointing because you can tell that those dudes are talented/skilled on a technical level but can't find a way to make it fresh or interesting.

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:29:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
you're going to hate this tippi, but i have the same globetrotter effect problem with aesop rock as i do with hex. listening to aesop rock, to me, is like listening to an avalanche of voice/syllables. i can't listen to him rap. it's too much for me. always has been. his voice/delivery doesn't help. adds to the effect for me. iiwii.

tippi dink

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:40:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i really do understand that cricicism with aesop's earlier work for sure, especially float which is dense a fuck, but he has plenty of stuff that isn't like that all - ruby 81, no regrets, grace, blood sandwich, most of the uncluded album, etc he at least switches it up every once in a while and he really toned it down for his last few albums. it also helps that he has a sense of humor and doesn't take himself too seriously, even going so far as to make a few straight up joke songs like "take a titty out" or "my belly". attitude has a lot to do with it, and to me hex one just seems like he thinks he's this amazing rapper and wants the world to know it, so he does straight up gimmick tracks like that "sallyble mux ip" just to say "hey, look what i can do".

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:48:52 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
yeah, to be honest, i've avoided most of aesop's discography. so he might have toned it down, and i just haven't noticed. there's enough music out there, though, that i don't mind skipping some stuff, even if it's great.

with slug, i've never liked him, because i think he's a very bad rhymer. every verse i listen to by him sounds really clumsy, like he's having trouble making it sound natural. even in bars where he's doing the most simple rhyme patterns, it sounds awkward to me. i can't listen to him. sounds amateur. don't get me started about how bad his rhyming is on doom's born like this. it's cringy to me. i know some people fucking looooove slug, but he just isn't for me, and there's not much else to say there about that. i love ant's beats, though (unfortunately, lol).

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 12:54:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
but i get why people like slug and aesop. i don't judge anybody for liking them. they just aren't for me.

Nassau William Senior

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:02:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
88, don't judge me.

slug is an admitted shitty rhymer. his unapologetic way of amateur rhyming is part of his appeal. he's no better than his fans, but has this confidence (listen to his old stuff, he's confident bordering cocky for an ugly motherfucker).

but slug is the best live show ever, period. that's why people love him.

and that's what separates him and Aesop imo. I was buying both of their music, but I stopped buying Aesop's when I saw him live. he basically mailed it in with his fat fuck hype man, Rob Sonic Burger.

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:08:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
yeah, those comments are fair, nws.

but, even if he's admitted his rhymes aren't great, that doesn't excuse it for me, as a listener. i have more respect for him now, on a personal level, now that i know he's self-aware about it. but, on a customer (listener) wanting a service (artist's music), i just can't listen to bad rhyming and enjoy it for what it is. it's too distracting for me to ignore. to each his own.

Loewi

Total Posts: 4475
posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:10:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Slug is handsome af and he rhymes a lot of multis so IDK what ppl are talking about him being a shitty rhymer

tippi dink

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:17:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
man, i've seen aesop rock perform a couple of times and thought he was great live, some of the best shows i've ever been to and i'm not just saying that because i like the dude's music. maybe you just caught him on a bad night. how long ago was it?

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:25:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
i have to finish my essay on why epidemic sucks, lol.

to do that, i must return to the globetrotters/kyrie irving metaphor. when the globetrotters crossover a washington general, it's not as impressive as when kyrie irving crosses over some of the best defenders in the world. because, (a) the washington generals intentionally allow it to happen, and (b) there's nothing difficult about crossing over someone who's in on it. crossing over klay thompson, though? that's not something everyone can do. in other words, the form serves no function in the globetrotter case. it's just form for form's sake. for kyrie, though, the form is entirely functional. the only reason kyrie's doing the crossover is because it's the only way to get past klay in this moment of this play in this game. it's difficult, but it must be done to serve the function of getting to the basket.

what i'm getting at here is that form without function is incredibly easy. in other words, when hex one is rhyming about basically nothing - sci fi dragons and wizards or whatever - it's like trying to cross over a washington general. it might look impressive and seem difficult to the unbeknownst viewer, but it's actually really, really easy. do you realize how easy it is to rhyme like hex one, when the content of your rhymes is as meaningless as hex one's?

so i have to talk about the emcee, esoteric. esoteric is another lyrical gymnast show-off sometimes. he's good at it. on the album, egoclapper, he was rhyming multis like crazy, but he doesn't really say anything worthwhile in any of the songs on that album. a few albums later, though, he put out a concept album, saving saemus ryan. each song was part of some larger story, so the words in each song had a purpose. unlike on his album, egoclapper, the rapping on saving saemus ryan was functional. and you know what happened? the rhyming became clumsier and less impressive. when esoteric's bars had to have actual meaning, it was like trying to crossover klay thompson. esoteric couldn't do it. he was used to crossing over washington generals. but now he was being guarded by klay thompson. all the fancy dribbling moves disappeared, and esoteric was forced to go back to basic dribbiling, because it wasn't as easy when a good defender was on you. in other words, when the function became required, the form diminished. which means that the form wasn't as impressive as it seemed.

so what i'm getting at here is that hex one's trying to impress us with his fancy multis, but, since these multisyllabic bars he's rapping have no meaningful content in them, the efforts he's trying to show off aren't nearly as hard as they look from the outside. just like with the globetrotters. common, however. when you listen to common rapping multis, it is actually like kyrie crossing over klay thompson. it's difficult, it doesn't happen often, it's functional, but he makes it look easy when he does it. and that's the hardest thing to do in basketball. just like making the combination of multis and meaningful content sound natural is the hardest thing to do in rap.

don't be fooled by meaningless multis. they're not hard to do.

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:27:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
slug is an admitted shitty rhymer

+

Slug...rhymes a lot of multis so IDK what ppl are talking about him being a shitty rhymer

=

Nassau William Senior

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:27:12 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
tippi, 2008

Nassau William Senior

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:28:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
it was the none shall pass tour

Loewi

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:29:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Slug is wrong about his own craft then 88. It happens

Nassau William Senior

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:30:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
i'd seen Aesop before at paid dues, but I don't really dig festival shows as much as an exclusive show.

and this was the dopest venue for an intimate show...unfortunately, he shit the bed imo. I probably still have some video of the show.

tippi dink

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:31:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
ah okay, that was years before i saw him live in 2011 & 2012, maybe he just gotten better at performing in that time.

Nassau William Senior

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:34:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
I've heard that from a few people (that his show is better now)

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:35:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
and the thing is, even if some hex one fan comes in and says, "but 88, what hex says in this song over here is meaningful", it doesn't matter. because hex' show-off/no variation style of rhyming is so distracting, you can't even hear what he's saying, because the rhymes are so visible, they're distracting. you don't even notice the meaningful content if there is any, because the rhymes are too in-the-way. which is terrible. multis should be effortless/invisible, not distracting. that's what separates the amateurs from the pros.

Loewi

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:38:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
There's nothing wrong with the rhymes being visible if effort is also put in the content

Nassau William Senior

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:39:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
I still respect the fuck outta Aesop and loved his production on felt 3.

I almost went to see him on his last tour, but I missed out.

I legitimately want to see him again and start buying his music again. but not until I see him kill a live show.

to be 45 years old and have 5 year old nicknames for Aesop and atmosphere is just laughable. you have to have some screws lose to make fun of those 2 dudes (especially when you claim to love hip hop).

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:40:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
just stop, loewi, lol.

tippi dink

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:40:02 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
NWS, is aesop's live performance made you not want to buy his music then why do you still support blu who is known for getting too wasted/high to perform, and forgetting his own lyrics/mumbling. is it just because you haven't experienced it yourself, or is it because he's from the west coast? i've heard people who saw blu perform around 2012-2014 say that it was one of the worst shows theyve ever been to in their lives.

Loewi

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:42:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
I think you're nitpicking too much on the multis thing 88

Nassau William Senior

posted Monday, October 16, 2017 1:42:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
I've seen blu probably 5 times...always a good show. he's nothing special live, but I've never left disappointed.

he was a pretentious prick at one show, but that's not the first time an ughh artist had an ego.

All times are ET. The time now is 12:47 AM.Post viewed 1616 timesPage: 1 2 3
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: