UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (70) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Wiki - No Mountains In Manhattan

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 62 replies
Page: 1 2
AuthorTopic:  Wiki - No Mountains In Manhattan
bUcKtHaDeViL

Total Posts: 1333
posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:38:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
Playin this right now. Anyone hear this yet? He's NYC to the fullest. I was just in downtown Manhattan a couple days ago. Peace.

Partial IP: 62.144.146

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:39:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL

eseph84

Total Posts: 6044
posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:52:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
i love that song/beat/vid, that shit is dope! like i said on here in the last few days, hope he drops this on cd tape or wax cuz i need it asap!

tippi dink

Total Posts: 5124
posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:56:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
SC bait thread lol, he really hates wiki for some reason

only listened to this album once so far but i thought it was really dope. probably my favorite release from him, next to "so it goes". he's got such a great presence on the mic and a really unique voice, but it's kind of a double edged sword because it gets kinda grating after a while. that's really my only complaint about this album, it's too damn long. i think it's just under one hour. i had the same issue with his last project, lil me. that had way more features though. the features all do their thing on this album, but i wish there were more of them, i like wiki more when he's not the only rapper on a track. it makes me miss rat king lol. that's why i can't wait for the secret circle album with lil ugly mane and antwon to finally drop. still, i dug this album a lot on first listen and i expect to grow on me the more i listen to it.

favorite tracks: mayor, pretty bull, made for this, chinatown swing, jalo.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:21:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
SC1989 Replying To Thread Wiki - No Mountains In Manhattan (Hip Hop Discussion Board) 8/30/2017 4:19 PM

here it comes lol

SC1989

Total Posts: 1701
posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:27:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
Yoooo YOOOOOO check Yooooo Yooo Yoo
SHUT THE FUCK UP
I do not want to hear a mic check
SPIT OR SHUT THE FUCK UP.YOOOO YOOOOOOOO YOOOOOOOOOOOO YYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 5:00:02 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
From an article in Stereogum.....

August was supposed to be A$AP Mob’s month. They built a whole campaign around it. They released three albums, and they gave the whole thing a name. (It was “Awgest.” A$AP Mob are bad at naming things.) It didn’t work out. They best of those albums, A$AP Twelvyy’s 12, was a pretty competent piece of ’90s-throwback New York rap. But they followed that one up with an overlong, scattershot A$AP Ferg mixtape and then with Cozy Tapes Vol. 2: Too Cozy, a rote and purposeless crew album that added nothing to the mythology they’ve built for themselves. A$AP Rocky says that he’s putting out another album this year, so maybe he can change whatever trajectory they’re on. But A$AP Mob’s flossy, region-less, fashion-drunk rap style is fading. There’s no vitality or direction to it right now. That’s a problem for New York rap. New York rap used to be built around movements, around multifaceted crews who could seize the popular imagination and imprint their ideas on the world: the Juice Crew, Wu-Tang, Bad Boy, Roc-A-Fella, Ruff Ryders, G-Unit, Diplomats. The A$AP Mob was pretty much the last echo of that, and if they’re farting out, that whole model might be dead. But there are other things happening in New York. Cardi B’s “Bodak Yellow” has emerged as a moment-defining monster smash. And on a much smaller level, New York is currently teeming with scabby, scuzzy slick-talkers who don’t have a whole lot of use for front-row seats at runway shows.

Consider Wiki. Patrick Morales spent years with the group Ratking, but I think he’s really come into his own since the group splintered and he went solo. Wiki is a total New York type: a loud, sleazy, slurry heart-of-gold urchin, the type who should never get his missing front teeth replaced because the big, broken gap in his mouth really completes his look. He always reminded me of the kids from Kids. Last week, on the same day that A$AP Mob’s album came out, Wiki released No Mountains In Manhattan — the title, he explains on the closing track, being inspired by seeing the New York skyline when coming home from touring, thinking to himself that those are his mountains. On “Pretty Bull,” he brags that when his whole crew comes out, it’s like “every night at the Tunnel in one.” (The fabled, shuttered New York nightclub was famous for its violent, star-studded rap nights, but they’d also have huge gay parties and house-music nights.) But as evocative as those lines might be, he’s more likely to come out with something like the “Pretty Bull” hook: “I’m posing, looking like a pretty bull / Shirt off, tattoos on my titties, too.” There’s a whole song about playing stickball. He raps like he’s shouting bullshit at the top of his lungs while staggering home from a bar after closing time, and No Mountains In Manhattan has the giddy, chaotic energy of a night out in the island in its title.

Earlier this year, Wiki teamed up with Brooklyn’s Your Old Droog for the collaborative EP What Happened To Fire? Droog is an interesting case. When he first emerged a few years ago, he was a flickering, mysterious presence, an online name without a face attached. For a little while, people were theorizing that it was really Nas rapping under a pseudonym. The truth was a whole lot less interesting; he’s really a goofy white guy with a big beard who merely sounds a lot like Nas. And on Packs, the album he released a few months ago, Droog steers right into that, rapping about being broke and bumming cigarettes and playing outdated video games: “Most importantly for me, I ain’t no dummy / When I’m worth a billi, I’ll still be dressing bummy.” Droog’s not a true scumbag; there’s a whole song about the ethics of being a white guy operating in a culturally black genre. But Droog is at his best rapping over clattering, fuzzy beats about watching the sunset over D train tracks. He’s a word-drunk dreamer with dust in his pockets, and he’s worth your attention.

dj rolo

Total Posts: 2984
posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 5:05:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
i fuccs with this

lord digress

Total Posts: 30
posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 5:33:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for lord digress
who this is the highest level of wackness

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:04:25 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
Pretty much the definition of underground hip hop.

Don't sleep. This is ridiculous.

Grafh

Total Posts: 3277
posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:56:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Grafh
Just started listening to this kid a couple months ago but I was immediately a fan. Can't wait to check this out. Any physicals coming?

dj rolo

posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:16:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
that's the dude from Ratking right?

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:23:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
he was, the group broke up about a year ago though.

dj rolo

posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:46:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
word kehd^

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37917
posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:56:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
He ruined that tape with Droog. Never heard any of his other material besides that. After listening to the video in the OP i doubt i ever will again.

Partial IP: 73.63.89.4

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 10:46:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
Not sure what some of you are looking for at this point.

First half is seriously banging. Just get over the first minute and you should get it. "I ain't a playa but the mayor tho".

Wiki New Written
Jalo
Baby Girl
Nmim
Leppy Coqui

The second half is even better then the first tbh. Top 10 of 2017 eazy

dr.proF

Total Posts: 5836
posted Wednesday, August 30, 2017 10:54:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dr.proF   Click Here to Email dr.proF
Cannot WAIT to listen. Dude is easily one of my favorite rappers rn. Cocky, smart, grimy and unique

eseph84

posted Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:38:02 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
he's been dope since wiki speaks

thanks to whoever posted that vid on here back then even before ratking popped off.

dudes done songs and tours with dudes like edan and run the jewels and despot

some people passing him off as wack but he's always been dope imo. ny hip hop shit. that rat king ep and lp were dope af!

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 3031
posted Thursday, August 31, 2017 10:23:30 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
this is like if casper from the movie kids rapped. dude is terrible. and toothless

tippi dink

posted Thursday, August 31, 2017 10:51:40 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
cosign dr. prof

listened to his album a couple more times and it's definitely one of my favorites so far this year. it's funny, i actually didn't like mayor that much when it was first released as a single but once i hear it in the context of the album it really grew on me. i had that track on repeat for a while yesterday. i get why people wouldn't like wiki's rapping but i love how grimy, unorthodox, and abrasiveness it is is. perfect marriage of hip hop and that punk attitude which is something i haven't heard done this well since the first time i heard p.o.s.

eseph84

posted Thursday, August 31, 2017 10:56:49 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for eseph84   Click Here to Email eseph84
that mayor beat!! i only had to here a snippet on ig and i fell in love...

give me vocal soul samples or give me death!

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 2:39:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
Bump.

I like this a lot. Wiki's fresh.

s-agent

Total Posts: 3775
posted Friday, September 01, 2017 7:58:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for s-agent
First time I heard of him was when Ratking toured with Run The Jewels. I was impressed by their sound, but mostly Wiki's voice. He was grimy as hell on stage.

After that show I went home and started digging around for his shit...I'm not a fan of everything but he definitely has some very dope shit. Voice is unique also

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 8:08:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
his voice is like if yak ballz and danny brown had a baby. dude is a shit kid

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 8:19:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i love danny browns voice too, but i don't really see the comparison other than they're both distinct.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 8:23:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
^^^ther both pieces of shit lol and he sounds like yakballz

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 8:28:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i dont understand wats grimey bout this dude. maybe my definition is different. hes more ratchet than grimey is were still using that word. but hes a shit kid, not some hard rock street kid. hes toothless from his own doing, not cuz he fights or is known for knocking mother fuckers out. droog needs better friends cuz this dude is wack sauce.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 8:28:38 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
* if were still using

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 8:35:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i don't really see how but to each his own i guess. danny brown seems like a really fun, likeable guy to me.

hes toothless from his own doing, not cuz he fights or is known for knocking mother fuckers out.

what do you mean his own doing? how do you think he lost his teeth lol.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 8:50:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i swear u said this faggot beat his own face with a microphone and i assumed thats how it happened. either way, grimey isnt the adjective to describe this half pint, toothless tard boy.

dr.proF

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 8:55:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dr.proF   Click Here to Email dr.proF
One thing I just recently realized about wiki is that there are two versions of wiki93 ... i'm pretty sure the official one is on Spotify, but the one on Dad and tiff has completely different beats.

I Dossow recommend his sound cloud page, he's done lots of Loosies with random people

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:00:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
oh nah, he got punched in the face and then the dude hopped on his bike and rode off. i was gonna ask how that his own doing lol.

still don't understand why you seem to hate him so much but it is what it is lol.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:07:17 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
u dont see someones face or hear a voice and just dislike them? i dont care to get to kno wiki thru his music or personally. im not trying to have casual dinner with this fellow. but yea, a very punchable face and annoying ass voice. thats why

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:19:02 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
The kid is pure hip hop. Reminds me of tons of kids I knew growing up. Why are you obsessed with how he looks? You some kind of fuckboy?

Co signed by Droog, co signed by Ghostface. Reps NYC with every ounce of his soul. Unique, creative and just dropped one of the best albums this year.

You need to catch the fuck up.

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:20:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
no not really, i mean i might joke around about someone having a punchable face or something but at the end of the day i don't really care. i judge people based on their actions not for things that are beyond their control, like how they look or how their voice sounds.

i get what you're saying though, you don't have to like everyone lol. just as long as you're not wishing death on someone because they're missing teeth or because you find their voice annoying. i mean we're talking about rap music so i'm not gonna front and act like a rappers voice isn't important.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:20:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
^^ i need to like wat i like and choose which shit to take a dump gawd on cuz id like to avoid being called a fuck boy cuz i think someone has an asshole face. first thing u do is see, hated it ther, then i hit play and i heard with my ears, hated it more. im now done. and done

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:22:52 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
like i said, casper from kids. an entertaining character from a distance but not something i wanna put my time into. ive heard prolly 6-7 songs by this guy now. its not for me. lol at fuckboy. no, just a dick

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:26:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
Yeah cool story bruh. You should tell it at parties.

Ps - why isn't this stickied? Big time UGHH kinda stuff

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:26:59 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
ill sticky it if u take back the fuckboy comment.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:29:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
and danny brown isnt likable at all to me. guy looks like the kind of dude that knowingly has aids and gives it to 50 women and men before hes put in jail for a 100 yrs. fuck danny brown. another toothless hack

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:32:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
der ya go

dont take back shit bub

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:40:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
yeah maybe you'd like him more if he had his teeth lol.

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:40:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
Shoulda been pinned two days ago. You did what was right my man.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:42:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
of course buck, we like alot of other shit. similar interests. just not this guy. but new releases ep/lp should get pinned.

Partial IP: 43.230.209

Loewi

Total Posts: 4498
posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:46:35 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Is there a physical CD release of this?

tippi dink

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:50:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
not yet, i'm sure it'll get one eventually though.

Loewi

Total Posts: 4498
posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:56:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
Hope so

Yo tippi, did you peep the MIKE album? Wiki is featured on there

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 9:58:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
at s-agent

that video was dope

i think Wiki got droog and ferg on that

s-agent

Total Posts: 3775
posted Friday, September 01, 2017 11:01:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for s-agent
I love that video

That MIKE album was also pretty dope. Very different and dope sounding.

Wiki has been around longer than droog I believe. Ratking has been doing their thing for a while now. They started in 2011. Sporting Life has a couple beat tapes also that were alright

dr.proF

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 11:48:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dr.proF   Click Here to Email dr.proF
My poast was all chopped up from using siri

Lol at gino goin in about wiki. The ol' gino trigger. You never know whats gonna set it off

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Friday, September 01, 2017 11:58:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL

Pitchfork

”I’m straight New York, what a lot of ya’ll pretending to be!” Thus spat a curly-haired, baby-faced, North Face-clad teen by the name of Wiki back in 2012, his nasally voice sharp and acidic. Two years after “Wikispeaks” appeared on Ratking’s first EP, the trio—featuring poetic philosopher Hak, the MPC-slapping producer Sporting Life, and Wiki minus a few teeth—released their outstanding debut So It Goes and were dubbed the city’s “hip-hop heirs.” Before a proper full-length follow-up ever materialized, the group more or less dissolved with each member pursuing his own projects. But Wiki, born Patrick Morales, has never ceased in his quest to chronicle his New York.

Wiki’s new album No Mountains in Manhattan is a vivid manifestation of the city, at times surreal and too real. After the touring that colored much of his 2015 mixtape Lil Me, Wiki is back in Manhattan shouting out Mario with the bacon egg and cheese, hitting up Chinese joint Noodletown, and getting blunted at friends’ cribs. “I like the 1 train, bagel with lox, crushing the mic/I like the sunset on the Hudson, look at the light,” he spills on the joyous opener “Islander.” No Mountains opens with three of the strongest songs (”Islander,” “Mayor,” and “Pretty Bull”) Wiki has made to date, stories of his “first chapter” and his community. These tracks luxuriate in soul samples and latin rhythms, tones that constantly blast from taxicabs and sidewalk boomboxes. Later on, he’s quick to feature local rappers from ACAB and Slicky Boy to Ghostface Killah, and brings in visiting talent like Earl Sweatshirt, Kaytranada, and DJ Earl to round out the day.

No Mountains in Manhattan would be a great record even if Wiki stuck to this urban bliss, but instead he confronts the city’s shadows to build a complex portrait of himself. While the 23-year-old has never come off as a naively cheerful bloke, his rising fame and professional responsibilities, the addictions and police presence that endanger his community now weigh heavy on him. He often has to snap out of a spiral by reminding himself that he’s no longer spitting in basements: “Alright/Slow down supposed to be the pro type/Tuck in my gold type kid/I ain’t gotta show off shit.” The weight seems to make Wiki decelerate his spitfire pow-pow tempo and savor the thick timbre of each word. The darkest and most dramatic example of this is “Pandora’s Box,” a thinly-veiled meditation on Wiki’s former relationship with rapper Princess Nokia. Over spacey, atmospheric beats provided by Sporting Life and Dadras, he and Vancouver singer Evy Jane recall the intricacies of a relationship that veered into violence as much as it did growth.

But as if emerging from the city’s underbelly, the final moments of No Mountains (particularly the hilariously cheerful “Nutcrackers”) return to the lighter fare. It’s a full-circle that reveals Wiki’s “straight New York” to be one of contrasts: a city that’s vast and small, lonely and overcrowded, hopeless and infinite. No Mountains doesn’t reinvent New York rap, it buries itself in it. Like a passenger on the 2 from Downtown Manhattan to Harlem, Wiki is posted in the corner seat, eyes-wide, cataloguing, getting high, and transforming an earlier visit to a bodega into an existential field study. These are certainly New York images, but Wiki’s attention to detail and personal investment makes it resonate beyond vague concrete jungles. Wiki has called himself Virgil in the past, but on No Mountains in Manhattan he fully assumes the roles of storyteller and leader

bUcKtHaDeViL

posted Saturday, September 02, 2017 12:08:36 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
And by the way... Casper from the movie Kids was cool as fuck. I met him and his boy at a skate park and he signed my board. RIP.

All times are ET. The time now is 3:43 PM.Post viewed 1293 timesPage: 1 2
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: