UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (75) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Went Through Hex One And Epidemics Catalog Last Night

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 21 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Went Through Hex One And Epidemics Catalog Last Night
NoHeadlights

Total Posts: 56167
Location: Whattup Fosters. You know I been drinkin nuffin but dem good limited release beers, all Double IPA's
posted Saturday, February 03, 2018 9:45:10 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for NoHeadlights
Including Illin Spree, Monochrome Skies, Something for the listeners and 4 Dimensions on a paper and Words worth a thousand pictures. And I must say Hex One is one of my favorite Ughh artists, one of the ppl that have that underground sound that drew me to this music and this board in the 1st place, all I'm really trying to say is his albums don't come up short or dissapoint at all. If u havent heard anything from him in definitely suggesting u check his music out, as for where to start, I think Hex One- String Theory is a good place to start with his music

Partial IP: 224.194.89

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 11704
Location: Gayrilla Monsoon (Gino) X Gay Mysterio Jr. (Ollie) - All Up In That Butt
posted Saturday, February 03, 2018 9:51:42 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
string theory and monochrome skies is all i dug

Partial IP: 43.230.209

NoHeadlights

Location: Whattup Fosters. You know I been drinkin nuffin but dem good limited release beers, all Double IPA's
posted Saturday, February 03, 2018 9:59:56 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for NoHeadlights
I can see why you would like those 2 albums as they have a similar sound to them, Illin Spree sort of has that sound but the rest of the albums I mentioned have a slower more laid back vibe to them, which I don't mind at all. 4 Dimensions and Words worth a thousand pictures is like really slow and laid back compared to their other work

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Location: Gayrilla Monsoon (Gino) X Gay Mysterio Jr. (Ollie) - All Up In That Butt
posted Saturday, February 03, 2018 10:06:32 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
thats def why, good stuff

NoHeadlights

posted Saturday, February 03, 2018 10:15:03 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for NoHeadlights
Are u drinking coffee today?? And what are your plans, im gonna gust some BBQ food and some craft beers for tomorrow, you happy the Eagles are in the Super Bowl?? I think Bradys reign ends tomorrow and Nick Foles wins a championship and becomes Super Bowl MVP, kind of sad to see Wentz not playing in the final game, I wonder how he would of held up in the playoffs

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Saturday, February 03, 2018 10:25:15 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i got my son til tomorro at 3 and i had a pot already. it was good. made french toast for us which was just ok. cant wait for the superbowl tho, gonna have some people and family over. were eagles fans so hopefully they dont suck up the joint. one of the people coming is gay and i keep reminding my father he cant call brady a faggot haha.

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 43287
posted Saturday, February 03, 2018 3:45:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Monochrome Skies one of the 10 best albums since 2012. String Theory and Illin Spree were good. Rest of their discog is meh. Still waiting on that Tek solo album.

Total Posts: 20236
Location: What does god have to do with the pronunciation of a word?
posted Monday, February 05, 2018 1:32:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
they're not for me. iiwii.

Funkman_doe

Total Posts: 98
posted Monday, February 05, 2018 2:00:17 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Funkman_doe
Monochrome skies and something for the listeners. After that it's just downhill, hex can rap but he's like ruggedman how he raps the exact same way on every song regardless of beat/tempo. Gets old fast.

dj rolo

Total Posts: 5459
posted Monday, February 05, 2018 2:18:35 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
love their whole catalog...Monochrome Skies is ridic

posted Monday, February 05, 2018 2:50:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
^^^not surprised, really.

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 4470
Location: NWS I agree with u most of the time, but in this case you are smoked the fuck out bro
posted Monday, February 05, 2018 2:51:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
I took a bottle of sleeping pills last night because I couldn't sleep. The pills weren't working, so I went through Hex One and Epidemic's catalog. I fell asleep after 2 songs.

NoHeadlights

posted Tuesday, February 06, 2018 2:50:47 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for NoHeadlights
Generic corny joke about a rapper you don't like putting you to sleep was not delivered very well at all

Something like Hex Ones music is the equivalent of a elephant tranqulizer because its boring as fuck or my doctor prescribed me Epidemics catalog because I had trouble sleeping is more fitting

I took a bottle of sleeping pills last night and it didn't work so I listened to epidemics music to knock me out, c'mon man you have to admit that was corny af

NoHeadlights

posted Tuesday, February 06, 2018 3:58:45 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for NoHeadlights
Damn this words worth a thousand pictures is really growing on me, such a good chill laid back album

dj rolo

posted Tuesday, February 06, 2018 7:58:17 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
^word NoHeadlights, just a few lames on here that never go outside and are socially awkward so they sit on forums and hate on everything

posted Tuesday, February 06, 2018 1:08:55 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
copy and pasting my novel length essay on my problem with epidemic:

source: https://www.undergroundhiphop.com/forums/readpost.asp?Forum=Common&Whichpage=1&Whichpage2=2&QuestionID=2932908&SearchYear=2017

to me, epidemic doesn't have enough variation in their rhymes. hex always has the same flow on every track. i think the problem, to me, is that their style becomes exhausting, because, in literally every verse, they're trying to rhyme as many syllables in their words as possible. i've used the example before, when discussing my problem with epidemic -- one of the reasons the wu-tang emcees were so popular was because of the varieties in style. each had a different style of how they rhymed. inspectah deck was like hex one, always trying to do multis, but rza was smart enough to match inspectah deck's verses up with verses from other emcees in the group who weren't trying to do lyrical gymnastics. if wu-tang consisted entirely of inspectah deck bomb atomically verses, wu wouldn't be nearly as popular. it's specifically because the bomb atomically verses from deck were rare that they were popular and great. there needs to be variety. you can't try to do multis in every single verse of every single track, because it's just too much. it becomes repetitive.

the harlem globetrotters are another good example. those guys are endlessly doing basketball tricks, to the point that it becomes boring to watch, because eventually every trick looks the same. kyrie irving, however, people love seeing him do tricks, because he's not only doing tricks. he's also being fundamental. there's variety there. which makes the tricks more special when they happen. if the tricks were constantly happening in every play (like they do with the globetrotters), they wouldn't be as special when they happened, and the fans would eventually hate the tricks. hex is more like the globetrotters in this example. the lyrical gymnastics are only special if they only happen occasionally. if they happen in every verse of every track, they lose their magic. rza was a genius for how he diversified styles in his group.

the other problem is the visibility of hex' efforts. what makes an emcee great at doing multis isn't his/her ability to do multis for days (see: my globetrotters metaphor above). instead, it's their ability to make the multis seem natural/invisible. with hex, you hear every rhymed syllable in a bar, because of the way he writes. it's kind of a showing off style, where he wants you to hear what he's doing. the problem with that, though, is that it becomes all you can hear in the bar. you stop listening to the content of what he's saying, because of how distracting the rhyming is.

i'm listening to common right now. the track, resurrection. he's doing so many multis right now, but they're not distracting me from hearing what he's actually saying, because he's talented enough to make the multis come off naturally. they don't draw attention to themselves. the multis are more "invisible" with common than they are with hex.

jay-z's a master of making his multis invisible. to the point that sometimes you don't even realize he's doing multis, unless you listen closely. it all seems completely effortless. with hex, though, it doesn't seem effortless. you hear every single rhymed syllable with hex. and he wants you to, because he wants you to know how good he is. the problem, though, is that it comes off as lacking confidence. i'm still listening to resurrection. common's saying a multi and moving on, careless of whether you heard it or not. there's a confidence there, just like how there is when kyrie does a crossover. because kyrie's crossovers are functional. he's doing them for a specific reason - to get to the hoop - rather than just doing them for the sake of doing them to impress the crowd. function over form, guys. that's how all art needs to be. if form is coming first, like it is with hex, it's failing at the fundamental level.

when the globetrotters crossover a washington general, it's not as impressive as when kyrie irving crosses over some of the best defenders in the world. because, (a) the washington generals intentionally allow it to happen, and (b) there's nothing difficult about crossing over someone who's in on it. crossing over klay thompson, though? that's not something everyone can do. in other words, the form serves no function in the globetrotter case. it's just form for form's sake. for kyrie, though, the form is entirely functional. the only reason kyrie's doing the crossover is because it's the only way to get past klay in this moment of this play in this game. it's difficult, but it must be done to serve the function of getting to the basket. what i'm getting at here is that form without function is incredibly easy. in other words, when hex one is rhyming about basically nothing - sci fi dragons and wizards or whatever - it's like trying to cross over a washington general. it might look impressive and seem difficult to the unbeknownst viewer, but it's actually really, really easy. do you realize how easy it is to rhyme like hex one, when the content of your rhymes is as meaningless as hex one's?

so i have to talk about the emcee, esoteric. esoteric is another lyrical gymnast show-off sometimes. he's good at it. on the album, egoclapper, he was rhyming multis like crazy, but he doesn't really say anything worthwhile in any of the songs on that album. a few albums later, though, he put out a concept album, saving saemus ryan. each song was part of some larger story, so the words in each song had a purpose. unlike on his album, egoclapper, the rapping on saving saemus ryan was functional. and you know what happened? the rhyming became clumsier and less impressive. when esoteric's bars had to have actual meaning, it was like trying to crossover klay thompson. esoteric couldn't do it. he was used to crossing over washington generals. but now he was being guarded by klay thompson. all the fancy dribbling moves disappeared, and esoteric was forced to go back to basic dribbiling, because it wasn't as easy when a good defender was on you. in other words, when the function became required, the form diminished. which means that the form wasn't as impressive as it seemed.

so what i'm getting at here is that hex one's trying to impress us with his fancy multis, but, since these multisyllabic bars he's rapping have no meaningful content in them, the efforts he's trying to show off aren't nearly as hard as they look from the outside. just like with the globetrotters against the generals or esoteric on egoclapper. common, however. when you listen to common rapping multis, it is actually like kyrie crossing over klay thompson. it's difficult, it doesn't happen often, it's functional, but he makes it look easy when he does it. and that's the hardest thing to do in basketball. just like making the combination of multis and meaningful content sound natural is the hardest thing to do in rap. don't be fooled by meaningless multis. they're not hard to do.

and the thing is, even if some hex one fan comes in and says, "but 88, what hex says in this song over here is meaningful", it doesn't matter. because hex' show-off/no variation style of rhyming is so distracting, you can't even hear what he's saying, because the rhymes are so visible, they're distracting. you don't even notice the meaningful content if there is any, because the rhymes are too in-the-way. which is terrible. multis should be effortless/invisible, not distracting. that's what separates the amateurs from the pros.

dj rolo

posted Tuesday, February 06, 2018 1:09:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
88, i ain't reading all that lol

posted Tuesday, February 06, 2018 1:11:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
don't have to. i just put it there in case anyone was interested in the reasoning i believe to be for why some people, myself included, call epidemic boring.

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 43287
posted Wednesday, February 07, 2018 10:06:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Hex just dropped a new freestyle...

Partial IP: 73.10.82.7

esat one

Total Posts: 697
posted Wednesday, February 07, 2018 10:15:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for esat one
late pass dork

dj rolo

posted Thursday, February 08, 2018 8:21:44 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
^^ yea that right there is real "boring" 88, dude spits flame bars and every one of his albums is ridic dope...some of y'all on here are straight trippin (or trolling)

posted Thursday, February 08, 2018 10:16:30 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
Read the essay, rolo.

All times are ET. The time now is 5:22 PM.Post viewed 1105 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: