Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (160) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Modern Hip Hop Classics Volume Two

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 94 replies
Page: 1 2
AuthorTopic:  Modern Hip Hop Classics Volume Two
mic_data

Total Posts: 479
posted Saturday, October 07, 2017 11:28:37 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
Dude with the high-pitched child-voice can't rap on beat. This gets compared to Illmatic?

Partial IP: 62.144.146

SC1989

Total Posts: 1668
posted Saturday, October 07, 2017 11:33:54 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for SC1989
The man is 35 Hahahahahahhahaha

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37793
posted Saturday, October 07, 2017 9:50:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Guess youre just too "undergr0und" to feel K Dot. lol

Damn. is in my Top 10-12 albums this year.

Buck was definitely drunk posting last night and if he says he wasn't then he's lying.

WiCkEd22

Total Posts: 36014
Location: SF Bay Area www,twitter,com/BayAreaWicked audiomack,com/artist/wicked22 www,hulkshare,com/wicked22
posted Saturday, October 07, 2017 11:31:50 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for WiCkEd22   Click Here to Email WiCkEd22

Seme__one

Total Posts: 1253
posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:12:02 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
not a bad choice

I have no problem with someone calling it classic, critics do this all the time

he is a love him or hate him rapper, needs to cut back on the silly noises he is so much more listenable when he does

he has had some killer production, more so than most MC's have ever had

classic is thrown around on the forum a lot, but personal classic to me, no, but to others? I can see that

what other releases in the last few years are worthy of or may be classic's, and I disagree with longevity having to be a must have to qualify from the off

some records when you first hear them you KNOW are going to be classic, yes Illmatic, Step Into The Arena, Nation of Millions, Paid In Full...these and a few others hit classic status upon first dropping

don't co sign Tippi being fake as fuck, no way could I consume music like him, in fact probably the opposite, but young digital cats work along different rules

tippi does his thing it works for him so what?

totally co sign seasons and weather enhancing the music, when it drops can add to to it fo' shure

tippi dink

Total Posts: 4945
posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 8:59:20 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
music is the only form of art where the term "classic" gets thrown around so loosely that an album released a year ago could be considered one. it doesn't happen with books, games, or movies. no one is out there right now saying get out, green room, arrival, or moonlight are classics. for the most part the people who call brand new albums classics are teenage hypebeasts that don't listen to much music, so any album they like that comes out is a classic to them.

just because someone enjoys an album a year after its release, that means it's a classic? if the bar is that low then there's been at least 150 albums released in the last 10 years that i could consider "classics" lol. it's one thing to speculate that an album might be a classic in the future, or even that an album is a personal classic if you're really feeling it, but to just say an album is an overall classic in the genre just because you still like it after one year seems dumb to me. there's so many other albums that would have made more sense to make a thread about for this "modern classics" series because they've already withstood the test of time. just my opinion though.

Seme__one

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 1:38:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
music is the only form of art where the term "classic" gets thrown around so loosely that an album released a year ago could be considered one. it doesn't happen with books, games, or movies

^totally disagree, you haven't seen the word classic applied to film, tv, books and games really? It gets used all the time

Promotional material can be covered with it "5 stars classic".Its in reviews, its on posters, pretty much any bestselling book has it on the cover. Its applied everywhere especially when promoting the product, not that they in most cases are classic, but to say its only thrown around with music just blows my mind

I was reading new Blade Runner review just now, they called it classic "lol"

Classics don't have to wait to be classic, they are already. Longevity is an attribute they have, thats why they are classics, but you can be aware they are a classic upon first listen, for example I read that Chuck D was in a car when Paid In Full came on, right there and then, he knew he was listening to a "classic", so much so he had to start on the 2nd LP there and then, he considered his record Bumrush The Show, which hadn't been out for long to have suddenly become old fashioned/obsolete....so went straightaway to get the second LP done. Kool Moe Dee is quoted as saying when he first heard Nas he had to pull over, he and the rest of the guys in the car just sat dumbstruck. He was witnessing a classic record/verse, in his opinion it had changed MC'ing forever.

So my point is it doesn't have to be out a long time to be a classic. In most cases they become classics over time, but not all. So this thread is good as it brings up whether Flygod is a classic and has sparked debate over whether it is or not. Either way I am sick of typing the word classic.

Classic post

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 1:53:26 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
not to movies, books, or games that just came out. i've seen people say that blade runner 2049 is a future classic, but not that is one already. and this is the media who literally get paid to promote these movies/books so of course they're going to be hyperbolic to sell copies. i'm talking about your average gamer, or movie buff, or book reader here.

He was witnessing a classic record/verse, in his opinion it had changed MC'ing forever.

this is someting else i wanted to bring up, you mentioned some albums that were considered instant classics by some when they first came out, but that's because they were actually innovating or did something to push the genre forward. this is a 35 year old man making music that's super derivative of 90's new york rap like mobb deep, wu-tang, etc. the only thing he does differently is make those obnoxious gun noises.

to call an album a class when it first came out is pure speculation, unless you're saying it's a personal classic to you because you like it so much. i'm sure if you asked around you could find people that said an album was a classic when it first dropped and changed their minds later on. there's no way to tell after your first couple of listens of an album whether or not you'll still give a fuck about it in 10 years, or what influence it will have on the genre itself. idk, it's just one of those things where the word gets used so much that it begins to lose all meaning, like how people throw the word "amazing" around when there's obviously no way they're really amazed by everything they see. it's just not something i would ever do, not even with my absolute favorite albums from last year.

Lit Jagger

Total Posts: 2275
Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 3:05:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Classic doesn't meant over time. It means superior quality . The root is latin, classicus , high ranked citizens or military

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 3:19:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
that's not the reconized definition in art though

Lit Jagger

Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 3:34:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
That's not the root meaning, if you read alot you would know that the true definition of words can only be found in its root meaning , the dictionary doesn't set the standard and certainly not a dictionary online

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 3:35:59 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
the root meaning doesn't matter in this case you fucking dingus, words change meaning over time. for the sake of this discussion all that matters is the current definition of the word.

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 3:37:38 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
And you can't use a online dictionary for words , you have to go to a store and buy an Oxford dictionary and buy about 5 more oxfords from the 1800s to 1950

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 3:40:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
That's why I said you have to buy old dictionaries , the etymology of classic has never changed , it's the original form. People change words and therefore the definition changes in order to conform with people's standards. Also a word could mean something here and something totally different in another country so I don't see how you would think that the word classic is universal

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 3:41:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
itt: karim doesn't understand the concept of semantic changes

i bet you call people gay and try to play it off like you're calling them happy

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 3:43:24 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
and what i'm saying is the root of the word isn't really relevant in this discussion, because that's not the meaning people are going by when they use the word

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 3:48:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
People use words all the time , doesn't mean they actually know the meaning of the word
English is a mixture of many ancient languages , so I don't expect people to know pro Indo European , Spanish , Latin , Germanic , ancient african/Indian/middle eastern languages when they speak English

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 3:49:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
That's why English is called a basterdized language

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 3:57:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
this isn't just a few people though, this is 99.9% of those that are using the word. so it's a completely trivial and moot point. it gives you some interesting insight on the background of the word and its original, intended meaning but that's about it. you can look at the origin of the word and understand how it's changed over time, but whatever the commonly used, modern meaning is what people are going to go by. that's the whole purpose of language right? to convey thoughts or emotions in a way that other people can easily understand. if i said i'm feeling queer right now, are you going to think i meant strange/odd, or are you going to think i mean homosexual or bisexual?

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:03:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
english is bastardized, but if no one has the root/origin of a word in mind when they use it then that origin doesn't matter in that context

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:06:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
I would think you felt strange if you used the word queer. Rainbow symbols are natural occurrence in the environment to me. Just because you think there is a monopoly over a symbol or word doesn't make it true. You're just part of the status quo and can easily be manipulated

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:08:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
it's not the status quo, it's about communicating and being transparent with what you intend when you say something to avoid confusion.

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:11:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
fuck it this is dumb anyway, you're absolutely right karim why did i ever doubt your genius. anyone that uses a word with any meaning in mind than the original root version of the word is a fucking retard. every word means one thing and one thing only regardless of context.

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:11:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Transperant to who exactly ? It depends who youre talking to.

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:18:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
And youre just pulling stats out ya ads that 99.9% use classic to mean antiquity

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:21:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
50% guesstimating call GKMC a classic and it's 5 years old

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:22:53 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
regarding art yeah that is what 9/10 people will tell you and they don't have the origin of the word in mind when they say it.

one of your favorite rappers j cole even said that longevity is what defines a classic.

"In his interview with Idolator.com J. Cole also spoke on what he thinks makes a classic album and at the top of that list was longevity.

The test of time. So like, the first listen you can get, you be like, ‘This album is a classic.’ But you won’t know until three-to-six months later. If you still playin’ it, it’s a classic. A year later and you still playin’ it, it’s a classic,” said J. Cole. “Five years later? Hands down, classic. So, really, little things, like if you’re taking a 10-hour road trip — if I’m gonna drive 10 hours from Fayetteville to New York, I’ve got about six albums I know I’m gonna play. Those are the classics. Hopefully mine is one of those that you gotta pop in on your road trips.”

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:23:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
5 years old is long enough i think

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:24:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
They were calling it a classic a year after it was released tho 🤔;🤔;🤔;

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:25:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
J Cole isn't a studious scholar so why even bring his name into it?

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:26:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
so they were right with their speculation lol, if people call every decent album that comes out a classic then they're bound be accurate at least a few times. even a broken clock is right twice a day.

tippi dink

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:28:53 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
because he's a popular artist, and if i remember correctly didn't you say forest hills drive was a classic?

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:37:12 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Alot of people would think it would be a classic moment when trump dies from old age 10-30 years from now. That moment would be classic and classic in the present of thoughts today. Classic doesn't uphold to the present , it can also be used as a future reference. It's a classic moment right now trump dying 20 years from now. I don't care either way , I have no problem with the guy but people do

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:38:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Its classic that the earth will be destroyed. So a few billion years from now if it happens, people living on mars will think it's classic when they see it.

dR.prOf

Total Posts: 5738
posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:49:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dR.prOf   Click Here to Email dR.prOf
It's really good but idk about classic. Just feels weird using that term for a new album by a not very good rapper. I will say it's one of my favorite hip hop albums ever from a production standpoint

Seme__one

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:50:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
I think you mis-understand me tippi

I don't think Flygod is a classic, I just think its an interesting question/debate

but the throwaway use of the word isn't exclusive to just music, music isn't the only form of art where the term "classic" gets thrown around so loosely that an album released a year ago could be considered one. It does happen with books, games and movies.

My example is to point out sometimes you can hear, see or read something and know its a classic. I don't agree its pure speculation. You may be wrong sometimes, but classics do stand out. The Matrix when I watched it, boom, game changer. Classic. OB4CL the same, classic (although as always they can be debatable). Raisin' Hell. Nation of Millions. Illmatic. Yes, they are innovative, they bring something new. But that doesn't change the fact they didn't need years to be classics, they are from day one. Its the quality.

I guess we are debating if you can or cant have an instant classic, or a modern one. I say yes, I guess you don't think so. Its just opinion. There are films that are debated to be classic or not, classic books that maybe aren't.Its all a matter of opinion.

Damn I am sick of typing classic....

dR.prOf

Total Posts: 5738
posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:51:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dR.prOf   Click Here to Email dR.prOf
Quasimoto is a better rapper than wsg

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:56:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Main Entry: classic
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: characteristic, regular
Synonyms: prototypal, prototypical, representative, simple, standard, time-honored, typical, usual, vintage
Antonyms: abnormal, irregular, uncharacteristic

Main Entry: classic
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: model
Synonyms: chef d'oeuvre, exemplar, magnum opus, paradigm, prototype, standard, tour de force

Main Entry: classic/classical
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: best, model
Synonyms: archetypal, capital, champion, consummate, definitive, distinguished, esthetic, excellent, exemplary, famous, fine, finest, first-rate, flawless, ideal, master, masterly, paradigmatic, paramount, perfect, prime, quintessential, ranking, standard, superior, top, top-notch, vintage, well-known
Antonyms: inferior, worst

Lit Jagger

posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:56:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Its not synonymous with time

bUcKtHaDeViL

Total Posts: 1303
posted Sunday, October 08, 2017 7:33:48 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for bUcKtHaDeViL
pullin' out the dictionary and shit

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 2727
posted Monday, October 09, 2017 7:57:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
just saw this buck. open mike eagle, wiki or aesop cock hasnt ever rapped on a beat as hard as omars coming. beat makes me wanna backhand someone outta ther shoes. i didnt dig this album as much as hermes 2 and 3 but its dope. i wouldnt go with classic but again ive only listened to this 3-4 times.

Partial IP: 43.230.209

dj rolo

Total Posts: 2921
posted Monday, October 09, 2017 8:20:25 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
this def a classic album...i don't have to wait 15 years to look back and say it.

LEX718

Total Posts: 644
posted Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:43:38 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for LEX718
FLYGOD is most certainly a modern classic.

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37793
posted Tuesday, October 10, 2017 5:42:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
I will say out of my AOTY selections from 2013 through last year, Flygod is the best of the bunch.

Partial IP: 73.63.89.4

All times are ET. The time now is 8:15 AM.Post viewed 1123 timesPage: 1 2
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: