Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (47) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > General Discussion Board >
Jason

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 18 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Jason
Retired Monkey (Admin)

Total Posts: 62978
posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 1:32:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Retired Monkey   Click Here to Email Retired Monkey
I'm going to bump your album today.

Xxxoooxxx

Partial IP: 62.144.146

Ram Davagina

Total Posts: 8838
posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 1:42:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Ram Davagina
Noice
Xxxxooooxxxx

Tadow

Total Posts: 295
posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 3:13:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Tadow
http://www.rapreviews.com/archive/2014_08_artofpeace.html

Big Bennett Bionic :: Art of Peace :: BBB
as reviewed by Steve 'Flash' Juon

[Art of Peace] "Yo, you all that - you're a jaw dropper
That's why my balls are hittin your clit like a doorknocker
Knock knock baby girl - hey you called me?
That's a joke; I'm already in balls deep
And it's all me - this is my shit
And it's my life - and it's my dick
You you know the definition of indefinitely?
When my balls are hittin your clit I'm in, definitely"

If that opening lyrical salvo seems incredibly crude I apologize. I didn't want to waste your time though and beat around the not-so-metaphorical bush that Big Bennett Bionic is on "Hiftbsycwmbs" - and since it's the first track after the intro there's no reason not to. You may be saying to yourself "So he's a little raunchy - so what? So was Akinyele." That's true. A lot of hip-hop's most successful rappers have been sexually crass - Too $hort among them - but what both Mr. Shaw and Mr. Adams have that BBB lacks is PERSONALITY. Too $hort convinced me that he could really turn a bitch out on the street, and Akinyele could certainly turn one out with his mouth, but Bionic sounds like he's trying to convince himself.

A generous interpretation would be that BBB is intentionally rapping in a monotonal unenthusiastic way as an avant garde rap style - a style choice meant to turn rap music convention on its head the way that Death Grips has become famous for. I wish. BBB is incapable of rapping any other way and you don't need to sit through much of "Art of Peace" to figure that out. This is two-thirds of an hour I can't get back, and "Lilah" is 13% of an hour all by itself. "Yeah... we were there, on some honeymoon shit/I was sprung as fuck-in in love with this chick..." and the hyphen in "fuck-in" is not a typo. He raps so slowly it actually sounds like two words. Neither Evidence nor Parrish Smith were ever this Mr. Slow.

The most perplexing thing here is that Mr. Bionic is obviously sincere. This is not a randomly distributed free to download digital album - it's a professionally packaged CD that pulls up a Gracenote song tracklist when you pop it in your laptop or computer. It's available for sale on Amazon.com in digital or physical formats. Despite the extremely minimalistic packaging and lack of accompanying press kit, I have no question that BBB is serious as cancer about rapping. The problem is that he raps like he's been treated FOR cancer. His tongue is slow, his words are plodding, and his lack of adrenaline make even potentially interesting beats like "Clack Clack" lack staying power. He describes the scenery around him, but there seems to be no point - it's like he's reading us his grocery list.

At some level I'm not capable of buying "Art of Peace" as being a real album. It feels like an elaborate prank on me, an attempt to get me to write an utterly scathing review, the kind of vitriolic diatribe that would make the laconic Bionic actually get excited for the first time in his life. I regret to inform BBB that I can't recommend "Art of Peace" to anyone, not even people who need a good audio sedative, and that's as mean as I'm willing to be because I suspect this really isn't a joke and he sincerely believes he's a good emcee. Since art is in the eye of the beholder this "Art" may in fact be somebody's cup of tea, but if the readers of the site are anything like me we're not the target audience for whatever new genre of rap Mr. Bionic is singlehandedly creating here.

Music Vibes: 3 of 10 Lyric Vibes: 2 of 10 TOTAL Vibes: 2.5 of 10

Originally posted: August 12, 2014
source: www.RapReviews.com

Ram Davagina

posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 4:01:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Ram Davagina
That review hurt my feelings irl

NoHeadlights

Total Posts: 53221
posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 4:19:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for NoHeadlights
Rich how drunk or high do you have to be to throw on jsns album

No diss to jace

Tadow

posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 4:32:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Tadow
ive been hoping to find a used copy one of these days. idk if that's ever going to happen though

Jay-eL

Total Posts: 13368
posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 5:01:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Jay-eL
He frl lacks personality. Review was on point.

Cheers

Jay-eL

posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 5:09:08 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Jay-eL
And why would those lyrics be on an album named after a book written by the dali Lama.

Stupid

Voltron*

Total Posts: 493
posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 5:10:38 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Voltron*
Lol at dat review, i could only imagine if i come out with an official album-how much crituque i would get.

Ram Davagina

posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 5:49:23 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Ram Davagina
@ the slot machine, there's tons of used copies online I think. Idk tho. They might be new. Try ebay.

Jay-eL

posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 7:48:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Jay-eL
how many cds do you need to sell before you can afford a personality?

Tadow

posted Saturday, July 08, 2017 10:29:59 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Tadow
at the slot machine

lol. approved

https://store.cdbaby.com/m/cd/bigbbionic

The Future King of Inventors can rap his ass off. Complex Simplicity at it's finest.

Triple B's first offering, "The Invention Fund," was a wildly entertaining debut album I picked up from the Man himself outside of The Roxy in Hollywood. He gave me a little listen to "Mix-N-Match" which I instantly dug before buying a copy from him. The lyrical flow is polished, the subject matter thought provoking and production/beats are consistently original and contagious. Standout tracks are the energetic "Money Scratches the Hook," the dark brooding of "Mix-N-Match," solemn insight of "Leavin' Las Vegas" (I know EXACTLY what he's talking about with that one!), piercing intelligence of "Inventor," incredible hook in "Stay High (Thanks 4 the Beat)" and the bug-out comedy of "Clownin'" (really dig the synchopated laughter of the chorus!) This is an honest man with faithful stock in the hip of his hop, and you should purchase this album! It hasn't left my musical rotation for two weeks. Rock on, BAH BAH BENNETT!!

I like the cd because of its originality. The beats are catchy and after hearing one song, it just makes you wanna hear more of it. I loved Don't Stop Keep It Moving (it makes me wanna shake what my momma gave me!), I like how it's really sexy-sounding, kinda sets the mood. *wink wink* I never get tired of it. Seven Days of Solitude is I think one of the best songs in this album; that is one serious song right there..MixNMatch and Clownin' are very fun to listen to, and I think Inventor is just awesome. All in all, I like how the cuts in this album are uniquely written, vividly detailed, and exceptionally rapped it just makes you want to hear more because you never get bored. This is a very interesting album and it's originality is a breath of fresh air.

the invention fund is mad hot. bionic uses imagination to hit you with what you aren't used to. TIF is a shining example of how bionic is not the least bit apprehensive to sound different from the mainstream hip hip most listeners are force fed, yet at times he has a flow, voice and cadence that could be at the top of your city's "blazing hip hop and r & b" station's rotation. when you listen closer you realize this album is packed with meanings that go deeper than the average.

the jump off - seven days of solitude deals with feelings everyone feels, most people conceal, and yet few reveal.

mix and match - banger! makes me wanna play vigilante missions on GTA. go for 6 stars type sh!t.

leaving las vegas - sit back and listen to an ill story.

inventor - bionic keeps it real and let's you know what he's been digging on from way back.

fuck the marlins - a true testament to how bionic isn't a carbon copy emcee and knows how to have fun. letting you know on the hook exactly how it is.

stay high, some rhymes that i wrote, keep it movin....YO!

yall just need to cop this album from someone who works dumb hard to make it happen and has 'the heart of a gorilla that lost it's family and wants revenge on it's killers.

Big Bennett Bionic's first solo album has been 10 years in the making, and the proof is apparent in his seasoned delivery, style and cadence. The cd, which runs under 50 minutes, leaves the listener wanting more, but also solidifies the purchase of his next effort.

Perhaps the most endearing part of the cd is Bennett's ability to not lose focus and deviate from the main topic of his songs; story tracks such as Leaving Las Vega that showcase his ability to make a substance laden entertaining cut. Take "Inventor" for example, where Bionic walks us through the process of designing a product and acquiring a patent for it, while including his own experiences on the subject, failed and otherwise.

I think the standout track on the cd will also be the most overlooked, "Clownin." Bennett displays a different, more lighthearted yet tenacious approach to his rhyming, whether he's talking about his rustbucket car or his nonexistent thug bravado.

The only thing this cd really lacks is production fitting to the tone of the album. While there are highlights such as Seven Days of Solitude, Mix-N-Match, Leavin' Las Vegas, and Don't Stop Keep It Moving, certain songs like Stay High (Thanks 4 The Beat) and Inventor leave a lot to be desired. I see this record as more of a proof that Bennett is a versatile and talented artist who can rely on his own strengths to make head nodding and interesting songs, even when his production is lacking (which for the most part it isn't anyway). Pick up this album, it's affordable and worth every cent.

Big Bennett Bionicís album The Invention Fund (Grand Urban Style) has him talking about being an inventor, knowing the ins and outs of coming up with things out of the air for the betterment of mankind. Itís a good concept, along with the others that are on this CD. The mix has a homemade feel to it, but still professional. His flow is very nice, nothing forceful, and the album is very approachable. The lack of samples is something he mentions, hoping he will not get sued, but itís an independent release, the chances of him getting a lawsuit is very slim. The spare beats in some of the songs could become a treat for other producers who may want to add their touch to Bennettís tracks. Thereís some promise here, and I hope people will give him a chance to grow. (The Invention Fund can be purchased through CD Baby.

---------------
The reviewer never rated the cd. I gave it 5stars out of 5stars because eventually I believe this reviewer would have thought it was "5 stars = AWESOME!"

Ram Davagina

posted Sunday, July 09, 2017 4:25:40 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Ram Davagina
Buy em off itunes you cheap fuck

Jay-eL

posted Sunday, July 09, 2017 2:09:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Jay-eL
"This is an honest man with faithful stock in the hip of his hop,"

LOL

Maffmatics (Admin)

Total Posts: 24437
posted Monday, July 10, 2017 9:26:13 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Maffmatics   Click Here to Email Maffmatics
Idk what Jerm is laugh at. Dude made a youtube failing hard at rap but succeeding at looking and sounding like a miserable old man angry about kids walking on his lawn.

Partial IP: 05.194.231

Jay-eL

posted Monday, July 10, 2017 10:09:54 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Jay-eL
Failing lol.

I had glowing reviews in the 90s in maximum rock and roll and 10 things jesus wants you to know.

Maffmatics (Admin)

Total Posts: 24437
posted Monday, July 10, 2017 10:36:29 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Maffmatics   Click Here to Email Maffmatics
And then you got old and uploaded an embarrassing youtube video

Retired Monkey (Admin)

Total Posts: 62978
posted Saturday, July 15, 2017 11:57:18 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Retired Monkey   Click Here to Email Retired Monkey
It's dope

Ram Davagina

posted Saturday, July 15, 2017 2:07:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Ram Davagina
<3

All times are ET. The time now is 4:39 PM.Post viewed 420 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: