Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (36) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > General Discussion Board >
West Virginia Governor Switches Parties

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 7 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  West Virginia Governor Switches Parties
Tadow

Total Posts: 568
posted Saturday, August 05, 2017 3:53:03 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Tadow
ahh ha ha

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/west-virginia-governor-jim-justice-trump-rally/535890/

West Virginia Governor Jim Justice announced at a campaign-style rally with President Trump on Thursday that he is switching parties from Democrat to Republican.

“I tell you as West Virginians I can’t help you anymore being a Democrat governor,” Justice said at the rally standing on stage with the president. “So tomorrow I will be changing my registration to Republican.” In his address to the crowd, Justice suggested that he would have an easier time working with the state’s Republican-controlled legislature by switching parties. Trump cheered the decision, saying that Justice “showed the country that our agenda rises above left or right.”

West Virginia used to be a Democratic stronghold, but the state has grown increasingly conservative in recent years and now votes reliably Republican at the presidential and state level. In 2014, the state legislature flipped from Democratic to Republican control. Trump won West Virginia in November, defeating Hillary Clinton in a landslide with 67 percent of the vote.

Like Trump, Justice is a billionaire who ran for election as a newcomer to politics, and was elected in November 2016. During his campaign, he took pains to show he was no fan of Clinton. “I cannot be a supporter of Hillary Clinton,” Justice told a West Virginia radio station last August.

West Virginia’s lone Democratic senator, Joe Manchin, who now faces a tough re-election fight in 2018 without the aid of a Democratic governor in his state said on Thursday that he was “disappointed” by the news, but indicated that he would still be willing to work with the governor.

“While I do not agree with his decision, I have always said that I will work with anyone, no matter their political affiliation, to do what is best for the people of West Virginia,” the senator said in a statement. A spokesman for Manchin confirmed that the senator is not switching parties or leaving his West Virginia Senate seat.

Manchin is up for reelection in 2018 and faces a primary challenge on the left from a progressive candidate running on a Bernie Sanders-style platform. The West Virginia senator also faces Republican challengers Evan Jenkins, a Republican representative who was once a Democrat himself, but switched parties in 2013, and Patrick Morrisey, West Virginia’s Republican attorney general. Manchin endorsed Justice during his run for governor.

The Democratic Governors Association put out a scathingly critical statement in response to Justice’s announcement Thursday evening, accusing Justice of “deceiving the voters of West Virginia when he ran as a Democrat 8 months ago.”

This won’t be Justice’s first time switching parties. In May 2015, The Wall Street Journal reported that Justice switched affiliation from Republican to Democrat in February of that year, citing state records. The news that Justice would switch parties was reported earlier in the day by The New York Times.

It’s not immediately clear why Justice opted to switch parties. In their statement, the Democratic Governors Association suggested the move was purely out of self-interest, with a possible financial motive.

“As Republicans have repeatedly said, Jim Justice owes millions of dollars in unpaid company taxes, after a deal with a Russian coal company. The debts have only worsened during Justice’s term term as governor,” DGA executive director Elisabeth Pearson said in a statement. “If President Trump cut a deal, we hope it does not put U.S. taxpayers on the hook to bail out Jim Justice’s personal finances.”

Partial IP: 62.144.146

wicked 22.2

Total Posts: 2424
posted Saturday, August 05, 2017 2:07:08 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wicked 22.2   Click Here to Email wicked 22.2
lol

Tadow

posted Saturday, August 05, 2017 4:50:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Tadow
appreciate the pity reply

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 2117
Location: Hot box, handsome on a hill, watchin' night lights stretch. A Los Angeles journalist like Fletch.
posted Saturday, August 05, 2017 6:06:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
Troll harder JT. You're better than this.

A lifelong billionaire republican, who was a democrat for a minute, is switching back to the GOP.

Has Mexico cut us a check yet for the wall?
How's Trumpcare going with the house and the senate controlled by the republicans?
ISIS will be wiped out in 30 days. Let me check my calendar real quick.
Do we have Hillary's jail cell ready yet?
Loving that new tax reform...oh wait. Still not done either.

At least the stock market is at an all time high. Except for the fact very few Americans have any money in the stock market. Oh well, I tried to compliment the Donald.

Nassau William Senior

Location: Hot box, handsome on a hill, watchin' night lights stretch. A Los Angeles journalist like Fletch.
posted Saturday, August 05, 2017 6:07:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
And Go Halos!

Tadow

posted Saturday, August 05, 2017 7:11:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Tadow
26 of the 50 states are completely controlled by the Republicans now

A lifelong billionaire republican, who was a democrat for a minute, is switching back to the GOP.

W. Virginia liberals are saps.

Has Mexico cut us a check yet for the wall?

dude, that wall was never going to happen just like Barry was never going to close Guantanamo. i'm so tired of hearing about the fucking wall.

How's Trumpcare going with the house and the senate controlled by the republicans?

i personally would like to see Obamacare completely repealed and move to a single taxpayer system. the fact that Republicans refuse to just make any half assed bullshit a law like 44 did is fine by me.

ISIS will be wiped out in 30 days. Let me check my calendar real quick.

i don't know about that but we did stop funding some of anti-Assad rebels recently. that's a step in the right direction.

Do we have Hillary's jail cell ready yet?

working on it. the dude who screwed the pooch on that one got his walking papers.

Loving that new tax reform

it'll happen. patience.

And Go Halos!

go Bud Norris, boo Cam Bedrosian. i wasted a DL spot on my fantasy team for a month assuming he'd come back as the closer. pfft

Nassau William Senior

posted Saturday, August 05, 2017 7:27:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior
Ha! Wait til we get healthy. Angels have a great shot at the WC.

Andrelton Simmons>>>>>>>

Tadow

posted Saturday, August 05, 2017 8:20:39 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Tadow
i like Simmons. i've thought about adding him for his speed. haven't pulled that trigger yet though.

All times are ET. The time now is 9:50 PM.Post viewed 345 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: