Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (54) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > General Discussion Board >
Popularity Vs. Talent In Rap 2k17

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 19 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Popularity Vs. Talent In Rap 2k17
Jesse Champion

Total Posts: 6
posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 4:50:12 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Jesse Champion
Some people think that hip-hop is in a steady decline (older generation) while others argue it's thriving. (younger generation)
I just started recording 3 months ago and I've began to realize just how many people are rapping now. I've found some great musicians that invest in studio time, mastering etc, but never get play time. Why? Because music is, and always has been a popularity contest. From Cardi B getting her start from a funny twitter video, to cash me outside girl, to yachty, etc etc. it's about who has more views. If you want to get heard you have to market yourself like a business.. What are ya'lls thoughts?

Partial IP: .231.32.86

Total Posts: 16503
posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:08:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
stimulating. i'm stimulated.

Partial IP: 62.144.146

Porkelin

Total Posts: 193
posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:06:25 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Porkelin
Popularity contest? Popularity and success go hand in hand because they are synonymous. The popular are successful because success is popularity. It's just that simple.
Nobody should feel entitled to becoming a rockstar, because nobody deserves to make a living from making music. If you can make a living that way you should feel bless. A few people are lucky enough to have invested their life in trying and succeed, but the vast majority fails, even if they put in the time, soul and effort, even if they got the talent, because the stars just didn't align for them. So my answer to your why is because there's a million others just like them. The market is oversaturated. Everybody wants to be a rapper. For every rapper you need a producer, a manager, a lawyer, a publicist, a journalist, all that shit. Dave from De La Soul made this point a while back. He said that you probably won't make it as a rapper, but there's another place for you in hip hop.
If you wanna be am artist, do it for the sake of doing it, do it for the art, and don't expect nothing from it. That way you'll always be paid in full. If you build up an audience, that's a plus, or in some cases it's a negative. They say fame gets old real quick.
You got a point. The shit is controlled by corporations to some extent. But the philosophical nature of the culture that started this music is against all that. It's for individualism, it's for integrity, it's for justice, it's against the business aspect of it. That's what's so paradoxical about its success, and that justifies why people thought it was a fad. It started out a lot like punk. Counter culture, alternative to the mainstream, anti mainstream, really. Something anti mainstream became mainstream, see what I'm saying? It's paradoxical in some sense. In biology you'd call that negative feedback. RA is mad known for being unknown. As soon as you blow up you've gone pop and you've lost credibility. What's genius about what Lil Wayne did and what that brand of rap did was they switched it into positive feedback: Get rich rapping about being rich. But I digress. You were right that popularity generates popularity, even though popularity shouldn't be used as a measure quality.
Some types of rap is like a race to the bottom, a downward spiral, so in that sense I'd have to say the older generation is right in saying it's in a steady decline. Yet there are other types of rap where consciousness is valued, but to say it's thriving? I don't know.

tl;dr: I got mixed feelings. When the positive shit outweighs the retarded shit in influence I think it's fair to say it's thriving.

Larry Turd

Total Posts: 413
posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:06:52 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Turd
poast your wraps

Porkelin

Total Posts: 193
posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:10:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Porkelin
Poach your amps.

Jesse Champion

posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:24:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Jesse Champion
I guess it then becomes a question of why you choose to initially get in to music to begin with. There are those who do get in it to have a creative outlet but then there are people (like myself) who see it as business and want to be successful doing it. I don't think it has anything to do with 'luck' or 'stars aligning' though. A. You have to have a good product.
B. You have to market
In a 30/70 ratio.
But yea rap is taking some weird turns. I think it's splitting in sub-genres.

Phatbeets

Total Posts: 11536
Location: While everyone was looking up at the sun, i was looking at the birds and cats and insects going cray
posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:29:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Phatbeets
What about just answering "wrong board noob" instead of posting essays that nobody is going to read.

everything was better in the old day

Partial IP: .212.29.66

Jesse Champion

posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:29:54 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Jesse Champion
Poke your cramps..

Here my shit though.
I'm really good at writing more lyrical based content but I've been making trap minus the rambling incompetence aha

https://soundcloud.com/jesse-champion-2/floatin-prod

NoHeadlights

Total Posts: 53778
posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:07:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for NoHeadlights
This kid is a fgt

Maffmatics (Admin)

Total Posts: 24692
posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:41:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Maffmatics   Click Here to Email Maffmatics
I will never understand why every asshat nobody thinks "i am great at rapping and everyone should hear my shit and then i shall blow up..."

It's a completely shitty reason for doing anything. Do it because you enjoy it. If lots (and lots is not the 40 retards that clicked like on your youtube) of other people enjoy what you do word will spread and then you should maybe start to consider marketing yourself.
It's like being a skinny spaghetti arm having weakling and entering a pro body building show when 'rappers' spam their bullshit music everywhere thinking they hot shit.

Jesse Champion

posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:09:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Jesse Champion
No it's not lol. I do enjoy making music and I've had fun with it for four years before I decided to take it more seriously. I'm just making the point that if borderline retarded ppl like lil pump, yachty, famous dex etc can make shitty music, profit fat, and get away with it, than I can too. And not just me anybody. Only reason talented people fail is because the work wasn't put in.. And I'm not saying I'm the shit smh. I just know I'm not bad. You have to remain humble in it all

Maffmatics (Admin)

Total Posts: 24692
posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:12:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Maffmatics   Click Here to Email Maffmatics
Borderline retarded ppl like lil pump, yachty, famous dex etc have an image that sells.
You probably dont. They can mumble any bullshit they want on a mic but thats not what is selling records.

mic_data

Total Posts: 479
posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:26:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
I'm just wondering... what does hip hop mean in 2017? I'm not sure most newbies have any kind of connection to the original roots or culture. So do new genres that have spun off represent hip hop as music or as culture or are they something else now? I know there's the old rap vs. hip hop argument, but at some point new forms of rap have to cease being representative of hip hop culture don't they? What about a hip hop counter-culture?

Jesse Champion

posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:12:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Jesse Champion
You're right maffmatics. I don't. But I can sure as hell build one, and I will.. There are those who do, and those who don't. That's why I started this convo because I believe it's not about good music anymore it's about image, branding, and marketing (popularity) vs people with actual talent.

Jesse Champion

posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:16:08 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Jesse Champion
Mic_data I think hip hop is transforming as any other music genre has. It's all dependent on the youth.. Youth is hip hop right now and vice versa. People's taste in things change and the art form is definitely branching off in some wired places lol

Lit Jagger

Total Posts: 2275
Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:25:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Hip Hop is when you're 46 years old living at ya baby mamas house waking up ya cacasian son from making bedroom blends at 3am. The next morning you take photos of ya breakfast and post em online and scream at people who don't drink connosiuer coffee. And if your friend dies ,,,you wear a sweat pants like a chav from east London to his funeral. Make sure to tell peeps to get off ya white cock if they tell you you ain't hip hop

Trucker Lyrikal $Killz

Total Posts: 3251
posted Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:20:27 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Trucker Lyrikal $Killz

Partial IP: 49.186.197

WiCkEd 22.2

Total Posts: 2424
posted Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:17:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for WiCkEd 22.2   Click Here to Email WiCkEd 22.2
lol Karim good point

NotEnoughAgua

Total Posts: 2
posted Saturday, September 30, 2017 11:17:10 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for NotEnoughAgua
i think the needledrop summed it up best that so mamy people are doing it now because the bar was set too low in general. people grew complacent with artists that popped off and then decided to make low tier albums.

also poke your cramps
https://youtu.be/MHqrTqOmGXo

Phatbeets

Total Posts: 11536
Location: While everyone was looking up at the sun, i was looking at the birds and cats and insects going cray
posted Saturday, September 30, 2017 12:54:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Phatbeets
Lol baddel

All times are ET. The time now is 2:42 PM.Post viewed 378 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: