Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (52) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Producer Board >
Timbaland Attempts To Defend His Beat Jacking

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 37 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Timbaland Attempts To Defend His Beat Jacking
dusty rhodes mk1

Total Posts: 33
Location: off in the corner, behind your thin digi synths and vstis
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 11:24:56 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dusty rhodes mk1
http://www.prefixmag.com/blog/prefix/2007/02/08/timbaland-stolen-beat-accusation

discuss.

Partial IP: 252.36.234

17DProduktionz

Total Posts: 1960
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 11:32:01 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 17DProduktionz
^^^^^Timbo isn't good at sampling other artists than himself anyway. Why is this a big issue?

Partial IP: 6.240.9.82

trackguyz

Total Posts: 3700
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 12:02:14 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for trackguyz   Click Here to Email trackguyz
the dick sucking may now commence:

Partial IP: 185.92.194

dusty rhodes mk1

posted Friday, February 09, 2007 12:06:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dusty rhodes mk1
"Timbo isn't good at sampling other artists than himself anyway."

huh?

Hip_Hop_Cabesa

Total Posts: 4290
Location: "You have no clue bout denim, chicks give extra points if you have on a hq pair of jeans" - polorock
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 12:12:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Hip_Hop_Cabesa
Its funny.

First he says he never sampled them.

Then he says its from a videogame.

After that he starts to say that he did sample something for the song but he didn't know what it was from.

Then he acknowledges that it might have been from them but it would be impossible to tell what's public domain and whats not.

Then his only arguement is saying that he bought the material so he has a right to use it however he wants. LOL

If Timbo is such a genius at creating original music why does he sample a melody straight from a demo CD. This guys EGO is too big right now. Doesn't he know the rule that if your hot one minute doesn't mean you'll be hot the next?

Partial IP: 165.37.115

17DProduktionz

Total Posts: 1960
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 12:12:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 17DProduktionz
^^^ Huh? Say wut you gotta say or keep suckin' Timbo's nuts. All i'm sayin' is that Timbo's sampling is so mediocre that anybody could recognize that shit.

Partial IP: 6.240.9.82

Chucklez D Gluton

Total Posts: 3753
Location: "you like a grand wizard in Nirvana right now "- keelay
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 12:27:20 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Chucklez D Gluton
^^ can you read? he's making the same point as you.

this guys ego is out of control right now.

Partial IP: 100.231.42

griffin avid

Total Posts: 1532
Location: Do you know how stupid you are,or do you actually think you know what you're talking about?- Albundy
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 12:27:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for griffin avid
I don't think this qualifies as beat jacking. He sampled an obscure video game from the Commodore 64.

As a big US commercial producer he's on a lot of peoples most-hated-guy-whos-richer-than-me-even-though-I-think-my-stuff-is-brilliant list.

This is just fuel.
LL Cool J said it best when he compared sampling to going into someone's back yard and taking that junked up car and rebuilding/tricking it out.

Yes, you flipped it and it's now worth way more than it was, but it's still NOT YOUR CAR.

Partial IP: 95.186.110

CIARA'S PENIS

Total Posts: 517
Location: ABOVE CIARA'S BALLS ///// "Ciara's Penis is bigger than mine" -AlBundy
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 12:29:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for CIARA'S PENIS
"Timbo isn't good at sampling other artists than himself anyway."

WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY? DID YOU DROP OUT OF SCHOOL IN THE FIRST GRADE?

Partial IP: 90.120.145

Hip_Hop_Cabesa

Location: "You have no clue bout denim, chicks give extra points if you have on a hq pair of jeans" - polorock
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 12:32:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Hip_Hop_Cabesa
A dude stole a Full Blooded Pit Bull puppy out my yard yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's his puppy now cause I ain't never going to get it back.

Sampling BB Kings guitar and stealing BB Kings guitar are so far from being the same you must be retarded to think otherwise.

dusty rhodes mk1

posted Friday, February 09, 2007 12:41:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dusty rhodes mk1
dont do drugs and stay in school kid.

scs5002

Total Posts: 314
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 1:32:34 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for scs5002
Hip HOp Cabesa.. he doesn't say he bought the beat so he can use it. He was talking about a dude gettin sued by casio for sampling one of their demo shits on the keyboard. He can sample taht if he wants... just pay the dude, why's it beat jacking?

Partial IP: 151.238.47

Hip_Hop_Cabesa

posted Friday, February 09, 2007 1:51:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Hip_Hop_Cabesa
scs - I heard the interview. I heard what he said. He was talking about Swizz Beats sampling from a casio preset. He even said Swizz when he first mentioned it.

And if you were listening you would have also heard that he said he has demo discs that he buys that don't say where they come from. He even says they could have come from anywhere. Thats when he says that he sampled it but theres no way to know what is public domain and what isn't.

His whole argument is that you can use it if you own it. If thats the case I don't really know what o think. But he did jack that melody or that sample straight up and if he has enough money to clear samples then he should actually have done so.

He put himself in the place he's in.

oda

Total Posts: 369
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 3:22:18 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for oda
he flipped it nicer

Partial IP: .52.215.98

Chucklez D Gluton

Total Posts: 3753
Location: "you like a grand wizard in Nirvana right now "- keelay
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 4:33:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Chucklez D Gluton
^^ lol .. duhhhh no really? I thought the ghetto commodore version was much better than the platinum smash hit version.

Partial IP: 100.231.42

perfectprint

Total Posts: 918
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 4:43:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for perfectprint   Click Here to Email perfectprint
IM TIMBALAND - I DONT LIVE IN FINLAND - IF I HEAR YOUR SHIT IMA SAMPLE IT AND MAKE MONEY OFA IT - ITS NOT STEALING - DONT SUE ME - BECAUSE IM GREAT

cabesa - he said he found it, not bought it.

Partial IP: 219.137.13

parabeats

Total Posts: 1768
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 7:43:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for parabeats
Why didn't the guy ask him to name the video game? Most radio jocks bring no value to interviews.

Partial IP: .36.104.33

AlBundy

Total Posts: 10169
Location: "Once i head back to the center of our galaxy it's over for you herbs.." -man46
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 7:47:22 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for AlBundy   Click Here to Email AlBundy
i dont know, he might want him to come back to the radio station?

its not the dj's job to expose him.

parabeats

Total Posts: 1768
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 7:58:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for parabeats
You're right. It's his job to lick his taint.

Partial IP: .36.104.33

Rorschach

Total Posts: 13298
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 8:06:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Rorschach
haha yeah he was talking about that god-awful "down bottom" song swizz did. tim doesnt have a point at all, he admits it at the end, he sampled it and didn't know where it came from, end of story. just like i could sample james brown and say i didn't know where it came from, and i'd be sued if i was making a lot of money on it. its no different, whats wierd is he admits it after calling the accusations ridiculous and calling them idiots...maybe he just shouldn't speak...ever

Partial IP: .125.23.79

Prophacee

Total Posts: 187
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 8:10:12 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Prophacee
"Replace the bass and replace any trace of sample evidence"
Pete Rock

Timbo/Geffen/Furtado will settle out of court with these dudes and everybody'll be happy. THere are sound recording copyrights and Timbo definitely violated them in this case. If them Finnish dudes own sound recording rights to that track, they have a good chance of winning in court. The video game company might have "licensed" the copyright from the Finns, but the Finn's (or their label) still hold the copyrights so anyone would still have to go thru them to use or sample the material. If you gonna sample an entire 8 bar phrase of anybodies music and not chop it up or process it in a way that its non-distingishing, you askin for trouble. Unless you one nem underground dudes whose music ain't gonna make money and won't be heard past myspace or the local beat battle/open mike contest. Timbo will probably pay for this one. I'm not saying the laws are right, but it is the law.

Timbo's version is hot and because he made the trak it will get more love. Shit, most of y'all could take that sample and create a gem and the Finn's would never come after you because its not the track that's makin the money but the names Timbo and Fertado. Its a decent little techno melody, but it ain't no James Brown loop. Any of y'all could freak that. Timbo will pay for this.

Partial IP: 210.248.69

TwystidMinds

Total Posts: 4568
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 8:57:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for TwystidMinds   Click Here to Email TwystidMinds
timbo absolutely shot down his whole defense. if the finland dude is smart, he'll use that interview as evidence...timbo contradicted himself like ror sed..he more or less admitting to sampling it without permission and his making a killing off of it.

so his defense is that just because he bought the thing, he can sample it? thats like telling a crate digger that if u paid money for a record, u dont have to clear it..LOL..

theres no way hes winning this case...its in his best interest to just settle out of court.

Partial IP: 50.140.157

jubeione

Total Posts: 2158
posted Friday, February 09, 2007 9:22:04 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for jubeione
so did he sample it or jack it? if he stole it then we need to rewrite hiphop history cause rappers delight was srt8 jack and so were countless other hiphop classics. if anything timbo is guilty of being stupid and not clearing the sample. no biggy im sure it wont break his bank. one

Partial IP: 72.64.89.5

Rorschach

posted Saturday, February 10, 2007 12:58:24 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Rorschach
timbos only guilty of sampling wack shit and making a wacker song out of it...besides the fact that he's sampling brand new music

trackguyz

posted Saturday, February 10, 2007 2:51:52 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for trackguyz   Click Here to Email trackguyz
Why didn't the guy ask him to name the video game? Most radio jocks bring no value to interviews.

because the song was never used in a game, just another lie

In 2000 Janne Suni a.k.a. Tempest won first place in a Finnish music competition for his audio track Acidjazzed Evening, which he allowed to be remixed in Commodore64 SID format by Glenn Rune Gallefoss, a.k.a GRG. The SID format is popular among the underground music scene but the song was never used in an officially released video game.

Original Track: http://www.scene.org/file_dl.php?url=ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/parties/2000/assembly00/oldskool/music/acid_jaz.zip&i107938

SID Remix: http://www.limpninja.com/acidjazz/glenn_acidjazz.mp3

I think it's funny how Tim talks about people copying him in the interview with distaste, and then proceeds to call these guys out for suing him when he stole their music without payment.

jubeione

posted Saturday, February 10, 2007 10:41:49 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for jubeione
so 7 yrs old is brand new? remember the brat song "what do u like" that shit was sampled from a montell jordan song that came out damn near in the same year. this is nothing new. there are to many bullshit unspoken rules that no one follows.

i hear alot of ppl throwing the word "steal" around. think about stealing when ur selling ur next track (regardless of how much ur selling it for) to joe blow local rapper.there is no difference he just got caught out there with his pants down.but u better believe ur no better than timbo. if uve sold a beat with a sample in it and made money off an artist ur doing the same fucking thing. this is something almost everyone here may be guilty of.

Rorschach

posted Saturday, February 10, 2007 11:22:20 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Rorschach
lmao at you using a "da brat" song as an example of what to do

jubeione

posted Saturday, February 10, 2007 11:27:23 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for jubeione
whatever man. point is its been done. funny how u didnt reply to anything else but the brat part. how about a smart ass reply to the rappers delight comment earlier.point proven

AlBundy

Location: "Once i head back to the center of our galaxy it's over for you herbs.." -man46
posted Saturday, February 10, 2007 12:33:25 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for AlBundy   Click Here to Email AlBundy
being new is irrelevant. and he straight JACKED the shit.
he didnt flip a damn thing.

jubeione

posted Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:06:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for jubeione
round and round we go

Rorschach

posted Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:22:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Rorschach
i didnt reply to anything but da brat thing cause that shit was funny. and i aint knocking anyone for sampling, i agree with you on that part

AlBundy

posted Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:48:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for AlBundy   Click Here to Email AlBundy
thus he should have to pay.

he contradicted himself, and his ego is out of control.

what is there to argue?

trackguyz

posted Saturday, February 10, 2007 3:49:56 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for trackguyz   Click Here to Email trackguyz
da brat is wack, but i'm sure they cleared the sample

this was never cleared, it was stolen

legally they could have the record pulled from stores if they wanted to

mistadobalina

Total Posts: 742
posted Sunday, February 11, 2007 5:58:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mistadobalina   Click Here to Email mistadobalina
im guessing they'll settle out of court for a chunk of dough

Partial IP: 1.15.23.53

jubeione

posted Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:36:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for jubeione
r u serious. so the da brat sucks. whoa! i think we need to stop the press and check the hiphop history books. now that i think on it isnt this a post about a beat timbo vic'd for NELLY FURTADO. yall got it. im done

trackguyz

posted Monday, February 12, 2007 4:31:27 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for trackguyz   Click Here to Email trackguyz
doesn't matter.. i put it like this, say i swiped your beat from the beat thread (or wherever) eq'ed it, maybe layered some drums on top.. then released that shit on an album getting major radio & mtv play, etc.. without paying you or giving you credit.. then when you tried to sue me for it i call you an idiot on national radio, and try my hardest not to give you a single dime cuz i feel i'm the shit and you're just a nobody piece of trash - this would all be cool with you right?

jubeione

posted Monday, February 12, 2007 12:58:00 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for jubeione
^^ do u read. i already said if u make any amount of money off the artist and u sample shit and dont pay. ur stealing.damn. read the parts u like why dont u

Partial IP: .214.145.6

elias139

Total Posts: 24
posted Tuesday, February 13, 2007 4:22:50 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for elias139
Usually when i sample some shit i got love for the original artist who made the piece and my work could be concidered as a tribute. But i don't think thats the case with timbo calling these dudes idiots and i think thats kinda twisted.

Partial IP: 2.236.76.8

All times are ET. The time now is 2:20 PM.Post viewed 3470 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: